View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ireland, Philbin safe??? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ireland, Philbin safe???
Quote:
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Sunday Countdown that Dolphins coach Joe Philbin and GM Jeff Ireland "appear to be safe," but there is "tension" between the two.
It's likely creating an awkward dynamic at Fins headquarters. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported in late December that "no one in Miami is safe," but owner Stephen Ross has made no moves since. The Dolphins signed Ireland to a head-scratching contract extension before the 2013 season, which was likely fully guaranteed. Ross is believed to be pushing for Philbin to fire offensive assistants, including coordinator Mike Sherman.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:36 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Ireland, Philbin safe???
This is part of the reason that we are consistently losers.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
This is part of the reason that we are consistently losers.

They at least have to get rid of assistants.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Ross is believed to be pushing for Philbin to fire offensive assistants, including coordinator Mike Sherman.

They believe this is the reason why Munchak was fired at Tennessee. He didn't want to let go some of his coordinators.

Let Philben keep his hard stance at keeping his coaches. It may give Ross the chance to boot these nincompoops out.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:44 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ross is pushing? Dude, you are the owner.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:45 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little information that may be going through Ross mind.

Quote:
Dan Le Batard: Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross guilty of being human

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/05/v ... nk=cpyRoss has spent a lot of time gathering information the past few days. This is actually wise even as it looks indecisive, and even as the customers and media howl outside the gates at team headquarters. Good leadership always risks unpopularity, and he can not listen to the howling customers, even though the howling customers demand to be heard and satiated.

The act of collecting players is inherently unscientific, and winning can be random and lucky sometimes, but the general manager job is actually pretty easy to evaluate. The Dolphins have six years of information on Ireland. Not just the players he drafted, but the players he didn’t. So the Dolphins have six years of notes and evaluations that they can cross-reference against players Ireland didn’t take, and how well or poorly they did elsewhere. This is more information by a lot than we, the howling public, have. And it is also a more accurate reflection, and more representative sample, of how well he did his job than merely the Dolphins he selected.

Every player Ireland has ever evaluated has a documented record, and Ross has had enough time (in the past six years, not the past six days) to see how right or wrong Ireland has been. Even being unscientific, even though it is questionable how much Magical General Manager X can see that Fired General Manager Y can’t, the results are the results, and six years of free agent and draft evaluations is enough to determine whether someone should be fired or not.

Those are the facts.

But what about the emotions?

Emotions sometimes don’t care about facts.

And if Ross blames himself with guilt about the beginning with Ireland, and prides himself on loyalty, he might indeed have more facts than we do, but he is going to see them a hell of a lot less clearly than we do as well.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/05/v ... rylink=cpy

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:58 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't fault Ross for NOT having the mentality to just fire everyone and this may go into a year 3 with a similar staff, but rest assure, the pressure heading into next season will be at the top of the charts for everyone IMO....

He is a business guy and he surrounds himself with loyal staff members and I am sure the personal elements factor in when taking care of the staff and knowing they all have families.

A few weeks ago this team was 8-6, almost in the drivers seat for a playoff spot, things collapsed.

No offensive line gave little protection throughout the entire season, perhaps the coaches have convinced him to go out and spend in the draft and free agency to build up this glaring weakness and give it one more shot with the same coaching staff.

Miami is getting back some key players from injuries too and supplement that with a few changes, maybe Ross believes the Dolphins are close to turning the corner.

We as the fans grow inpatient.....but we may need to accept another year with these guys......the problem is that the Jets and Buffalo seem to be getting better and the Pats won't go away.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
He is a business guy and he surrounds himself with loyal staff members and I am sure the personal elements factor in when taking care of the staff and knowing they all have families.

I wish he would surround himself with some football staff instead of loyal staff. Its almost like Ross is to close to the situation to see the overall picture. Ireland has been the one constant through all the mediocrity. And truthfully I am not sure Philbin is the man for the job in leading Miami back to a franchise fans can be proud of.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I only want the OC and DC replaced for stability reason...The franchise can I'll afford a new regime and gutting of the young developing players...

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:22 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Every GM hits and misses. My problem is that players leave here and play better or they come here and play worse. Add in the GOGO and GO nonsense and this staff is DUMB. How can you play action on GO when the D knows it's a pass? Yes, the draft sucked, but was it coaching?

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Every GM hits and misses. My problem is that players leave here and play better or they come here and play worse. Add in the GOGO and GO nonsense and this staff is DUMB. How can you play action on GO when the D knows it's a pass? Yes, the draft sucked, but was it coaching?

Yes....The evidence is overwhelming it's not the talent.

You see them go into big games flat. No urgency.....That's coaching

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
I only want the OC and DC replaced for stability reason...The franchise can I'll afford a new regime and gutting of the young developing players...

I don't see how you can replace both coordinators and keep the HC. The HC is the top guy.......the problems with coaching on the O & D ultimately fall on his shoulders. Darren Rizzi and the rest of the ST's coaching staff are the only ones I'd like to see remain. He stayed after Saprano and staff were fired, so there's a good chance he stays.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:36 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Philben should have MADE Sherman stop the GOGO, GO crap. He either has no balls or he is too stupid to figure out the GOGO and GO gives plays away. Either way, he needs to go. or GOGO.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Joe Philbin and GM Jeff Ireland "appear to be safe," but there is "tension" between the two.
It's likely creating an awkward dynamic at Fins headquarters.

Get ready for 3-13.

Sparano went 4-9 before being fired after the Harbaugh drama. This "tension" sounds even more distracting.

Draft gurus, who are we looking at in the 2015 draft?

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think we're looking at one of those type seasons.....4 or 5 win range. Wish I could be more optimistic.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rodneyfaile wrote:
Quote:
Joe Philbin and GM Jeff Ireland "appear to be safe," but there is "tension" between the two.
It's likely creating an awkward dynamic at Fins headquarters.

Get ready for 3-13.

Sparano went 4-9 before being fired after the Harbaugh drama. This "tension" sounds even more distracting.

Draft gurus, who are we looking at in the 2015 draft?

swerve13 wrote:
I think we're looking at one of those type seasons.....4 or 5 win range. Wish I could be more optimistic.

And that's not even considering what Ted Wells has to say.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's the latest ....

Quote:
Mort: 'Tension' between Fins' Philbin/Ireland

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Sunday Countdown that Dolphins coach Joe Philbin and GM Jeff Ireland "appear to be safe," but there is "tension" between the two. It's likely creating an awkward dynamic at Fins headquarters. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported in late December that "no one in Miami is safe," but owner Stephen Ross has made no moves since. The Dolphins signed Ireland to a head-scratching contract extension before the 2013 season, which was likely fully guaranteed. Ross is believed to be pushing for Philbin to fire offensive assistants, including coordinator Mike Sherman.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8351/joe-philbin

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:40 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Philben should have MADE Sherman stop the GOGO, GO crap. He either has no balls or he is too stupid to figure out the GOGO and GO gives plays away. Either way, he needs to go. or GOGO.

What baffles me is that Sherman was a successful HC for years at GB. How is he not aware of how easy it is for defenses to guess this when we can all do so watching TV? Is the o-line or WRs incapable of learning another snap count?

Makes no sense whatsoever. And I hope Ross has read the reporters mention this and brought it up when questioning Philbin and Sherman.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

What is the sense of keeping them both if there is "tension" between them. Seems to create a difficult work environment. Then again it is Ross.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:10 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

and the circus continues on

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

While I would like to see a new OC, I’m beginning to think Sherman would be the lesser of evils..

what GOOD OC is going to want to come to MIA knowing that the coach and GM are 1 bad season away from getting fired... add the NO O-LINE and crap run game....

oh and all the bully BS..

I don't think people are going to flock to Mia for this job...

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

randylvc wrote:
While I would like to see a new OC, I’m beginning to think Sherman would be the lesser of evils..

what GOOD OC is going to want to come to MIA knowing that the coach and GM are 1 bad season away from getting fired... add the NO O-LINE and crap run game....

oh and all the bully BS..

I don't think people are going to flock to Mia for this job...

One that wants a shot at being head coach.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm too disgusted to even post a pic of the 3-13 bus.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
What is the sense of keeping them both if there is "tension" between them. Seems to create a difficult work environment. Then again it is Ross.

Makes absolutely no sense. Ross went with his guy rather than the one Ireland wanted. What did he expect?

If all of this is true I just can't see both Philbin and Ireland existing with different philosophies. Apparently we will all be getting clarity today according to Jeff Darlington.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:41 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm not saying Ireland is a football genius, but I would rather have him making football decisions than Ross.

Either leave Ireland alone and let him do his thing, or fire him and hire another GM, but you're gonna have to let that guy run his own staff too.

If you want me to cook the dinner, at least let me shop for the groceries.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I would like to see the majority of the staff remain when its all said and done. Continuity is important when grooming a younger quarterback like Tannehill. The only coach I think deserves to be fired (if anybody) is the offensive line coach Jim Turner. He's the guy the NFL investigators pointed to as a person of interest in the whole Jonathan Martin scandal. Our offensive line is far and away the worst unit on the team giving up a franchise high 58 sacks this year. If anybody deserves to go, it's him.

I'd keep Philbin and Ireland on for at least one or two more years before I made a move there. I think both guys should be safe this off-season (barring the NFL investigation).

As far as Sherman is concerned, I think he should be safe too. I truly believe that Philbin will fight to keep Sherman on his staff.

But if Sherman does go, there is an excellent replacement on the market. Gary Kubiak is an excellent fit if you ask me. He's a former Texas A&M quarterback and later on a offensive line and runningback coach at A&M. Kubiak and Sherman go back to A&M as well, so you know they're like-minded individuals and their systems will likely be similar (good for Tannehill).

A possible deal Ross and Philbin could strike would be if Sherman was moved to Assistant Head Coach (we don't currently have one) and coaching the offensive line. Sherman has extensive experience as a o-line coach at multiple colleges and the NFL. I think a trio of Philbin, Sherman, and Kubiak would work very well. This way we keep as much continuity as possible and yet on the surface we make some big moves to keep the owner and fans happy.

What are your guys thoughts?

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Miami Herald reports Joe Philbin is "definitely safe" as Dolphins head coach.
Owner Stephen Ross forced Philbin to fire OC Mike Sherman on Monday, but Philbin will return for his third season on the job. Per the Herald's Armando Salguero, GM Jeff Ireland's job security "has yet to be cemented by the team." Philbin's records through two years are 7-9 and 8-8. There is some feeling the Dolphins will pursue Packers QBs coach Ben McAdoo to replace Sherman.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:41 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
The Miami Herald reports Joe Philbin is "definitely safe" as Dolphins head coach.
Owner Stephen Ross forced Philbin to fire OC Mike Sherman on Monday, but Philbin will return for his third season on the job. Per the Herald's Armando Salguero, GM Jeff Ireland's job security "has yet to be cemented by the team." Philbin's records through two years are 7-9 and 8-8. There is some feeling the Dolphins will pursue Packers QBs coach Ben McAdoo to replace Sherman.

So let me get this straight.

Ross wants to declare Philbin safe, but force him to fire his assistant, and hasn't made up his mind about Philbin's boss.

How is this staff going to function if Ireland doesn't go? What decent GM is going to want a job in Miami if he does go?

I have zero optimism regarding next season, and that is coming from a guy who is usually near the top in offseason optimism.

It's bad when you are looking at the 2015 draft 3 months before the 2014 draft.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

rodneyfaile wrote:
and hasn't made up his mind about Philbin's boss.

I'm confused. What decision does Ross need to make about himself?

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Ireland

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:18 pm
Profile WWW

rodneyfaile wrote:
Rich wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Ireland

Ireland is not Philbin's boss.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Quote:

Not much of s decision there , he should fire himself.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_manager_(American_football)

"The general manager is also normally the person who hires and fires the coaching staff, including the head coach."

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:26 pm
Profile WWW

rodneyfaile wrote:
Rich wrote:

"The general manager is also normally the person who hires and fires the coaching staff, including the head coach."

Key word being normally.

But that is not the case with the Dolphins. In fact, it has been reported that Ireland recommended Mike McCoy for the job, but Ross went with Philbin instead.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:
Rich wrote:

Key word being normally.

But that is not the case with the Dolphins. In fact, it has been reported that Ireland recommended Mike McCoy for the job, but Ross went with Philbin instead.

So what you are saying is that Ross has Ireland and Philbin on the same level because he has usurped some of Ireland's authority and made it his own, kinda like a mini-Jerry Jones, but with even less football knowledge?

Sounds lovely. I hope they get on Hard Knocks again so I can watch the drama.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:36 pm
Profile WWW

rodneyfaile wrote:
So what you are saying is that Ross has Ireland and Philbin on the same level because he has usurped some of Ireland's authority and made it his own, kinda like a mini-Jerry Jones, but woth even less football knowledge?

This has been the Dolphins organizational structure since Parcells left. And when Parcells was here, Sparano and Ireland reported to him. Ireland had the title of GM even then, but has never had final say on hiring and firing coaches.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

My head hurts

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:
So what you are saying is that Ross has Ireland and Philbin on the same level because he has usurped some of Ireland's authority and made it his own, kinda like a mini-Jerry Jones, but woth even less football knowledge?

This has been the Dolphins organizational structure since Parcells left. And when Parcells was here, Sparano and Ireland reported to him. Ireland had the title of GM even then, but has never had final say on hiring and firing coaches.

I think the sky just got darker.

Stephen Ross is 73 years old. I wonder how long he plans on owning the Dolphins?

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

He also wanted to draft Jimmy Graham. Maybe Miami should give him the keys to the Blding.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

He also wanted to draft Jimmy Graham. Maybe Miami should give him the keys to the Blding.

The only FOOTBALL decision Ross should make is hiring a GM. If he doesn't like his team, then fire that GM and hire another.

I wouldn't even want Ross to make the decision on a GM without seeking out a lot of advice.

How could he not listen to his own GM? If you GM isn't worth listening to, then why is he your GM???!!!!!

Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next