View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Does Miami reach out to Ben McAdoo? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Does Miami reach out to Ben McAdoo?
Quote:
If Philbin lets Sherman go, wonder if Packers QB coach Ben McAdoo is the guy. He's more than ready for that.

- Greg Bedard

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers recently blocked both the Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers from interviewing tight ends coach Ben McAdoo for the position of offensive coordinator—a rather large jump and a very promising promotion.
And we now know why that was the case.

Coach Tom Clements has been promoted to the offensive coordinator position vacated when Joe Philbin was hired as the new head coach of the Miami Dolphins, and Clements will not be retaining his duties as quarterbacks coach.
Thus, it is the intent of Mike McCarthy to promote McAdoo from his tight ends coaching position to coaching the quarterbacks.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Does Miami reach out to Ben McAdoo?
Quote:
Green Bay - Packers tight ends coach Ben McAdoo has signed a two-year deal to become the team's quarterbacks coach, his agent, Bob LaMonte, confirmed.

LaMonte, a longtime friend and representative of Mike Holmgren, said that McAdoo was following in the footsteps of a couple of his other clients, who went from tight ends coaches to quarterbacks coaches or offensive coordinators.

"If you believe in that model, you know that Ben will do a great job," LaMonte said. "I consider the mold to be Andy Reid and Mike Sherman and Pat Shurmur, guys who were tight ends coaches who moved up. Ben McAdoo is very similar to them."

The NFL Network first reported that McAdoo had accepted the job replacing Tom Clements, who was promoted to offensive coordinator last week. Clements replaces Joe Philbin, who became Miami's head coach last month.

An NFL source told the Journal Sentinel that McAdoo signed a two-year deal that is considered a promotion and will bump up his current salary.

The tough part for McAdoo is that, according to the NFL source, two teams, Miami and Tampa Bay, put in requests to interview him for their offensive coordinator positions and were denied by the Packers.

It's not guaranteed that McAdoo would have gotten either job, but it is pretty likely one of the two teams would have hired him. Philbin ended up hiring Sherman and Tampa Bay's Greg Schiano has had trouble finding a candidate for the job.

Probably as tough for McAdoo to swallow is that McCarthy allowed cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt to interview for a defensive coordinator's job in Oakland. McAdoo is under contract for 2013, but if the Packers have a good season he might try again for a coordinator's position.

Had McAdoo gotten one of the coordinator jobs, he would have pulled in about $1 million a year for three or more years, which is the average deal for first-time coordinators. That's considerably more than he'll be making in Green Bay.

It will be a challenge for McAdoo to take over Clements' coaching duties, especially since he never played or coached quarterback.

Already, QB Aaron Rodgers has voiced his concern about not being able to work with Clements next season. The two have been very tight since Clements arrived in 2006 and Rodgers credits him for speeding up his development.

After receiving his MVP award Saturday night, I asked Rodgers how he felt about Clements being promoted to offensive coordinator and he made it clear he was hoping Clements would still be involved in coaching him.

"I was pretty sure he was going to get the job when Mike (McCarthy) and I talked last week," Rodgers said. "But I'm hopeful it's not going to change our relationship on a daily basis because I rely on him, trust him, love the way he prepares us.

"I think the proof is in the pudding. Look at the way Matt (Flynn) played and his talent coming out. He'll probably get a chance to start somewhere else. Me, I've been blessed (to have) his tutelage. So I hope things don't change too much."

On his radio show Tuesday, Rodgers said he would prefer to have a coach with a history playing or coaching quarterbacks. He believes he's in an important phase of his career where staying on top of his game is a must.

What he should do is consult with Brett Favre about having a tight ends coach move to quarterbacks coach.

In 1996, the year the Packers won their only Super Bowl under Favre, Reid made that move. Like McAdoo, Reid had to replace a very respected quarterbacks coach who had strong ties with Favre. His name was Steve Mariucci.

But Reid was so good at what he did that it didn't take Favre long to feel comfortable with him. In fact, Reid was his position coach two of the three years he won the Most Valuable Player award.

Reid forged a strong relationship with Favre, often serving as a buffer between the quarterback and Holmgren, but also helping him improve his understanding of the offense and his ability to read defenses.

Reid did such a good job that he went right from quarterbacs coach to head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1998.

Mike Sherman was also a tight ends coach under Holmgren, replacing Reid in '96, then was promoted to offensive coordinator when Holmgren left and took Sherman with him to Seattle. His next job was as head coach of the Packers.

Shurmur was Reid's tight ends coach before being promoted to quarterbacks coach. He went from there to becoming offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams. He's now the head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

McAdoo was the first assistant coach McCarthy hired in '06 and he has done a very good job handling the Packers' array of tight ends. His main project has been Jermichael Finley, but he also helped Andrew Quarless develop into a first-rate blocker and Tom Crabtree into an NFL tight end.

On his Twitter account, Finley said, "Congrats to Coach McAdoo on being Name(d) the QB Coach, right coach for the Position. Now lets see who's TE Coach?"

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/newswatch/13897 ... z2p2s2txgZ
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It would almost make more sense to hire Tom Clements.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:11 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

Why would he leave a better situation in Green Bay?

Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:54 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:

Unless you mean as HC, that wouldn't be possible.

And besides, the GB offensive coordinators do the work that actually amounts to assistant offensivr coordinators since Mcarthy runs his system and calls the plays.

We already see the results of hiring an assistant OC from Green Bay with Philbin.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We already see the results of hiring an assistant OC from Green Bay with Philbin.

You got that right Rich. No thanks on this idea.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:46 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

But that article shows that Sherman was not Phibins first choice and maybe they aren't tied to the hip like everyone assumes. I think Philbin stays but Sherman, Ireland, Turner and maybe even Coyle are all fired

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:32 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

MdDolfan wrote:
But that article shows that Sherman was not Phibins first choice and maybe they aren't tied to the hip like everyone assumes. I think Philbin stays but Sherman, Ireland, Turner and maybe even Coyle are all fired

I agree with the with the clearing of the deck... including Coyle. But.... why keep Philbin? What exactly does he bring to the organization? PLus, with a new GM, we all know that person is going to want their own coach... so, we will only be doing the HC dance next year.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:47 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Sherman has got to be as good as gone , honestly I would think he wants out as well.
Wouldnt be surprised if that is the only major move.
Come August the Philbin / Ireland love fest just might have to be renewed & this disaster will just have to be forgiven.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:48 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
If Philbin lets Sherman go, wonder if Packers QB coach Ben McAdoo is the guy. He's more than ready for that.

- Greg Bedard

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers recently blocked both the Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers from interviewing tight ends coach Ben McAdoo for the position of offensive coordinator—a rather large jump and a very promising promotion.

Coach Tom Clements has been promoted to the offensive coordinator position vacated when Joe Philbin was hired as the new head coach of the Miami Dolphins, and Clements will not be retaining his duties as quarterbacks coach.
Thus, it is the intent of Mike McCarthy to promote McAdoo from his tight ends coaching position to coaching the quarterbacks.

Why? Is Bob not available? (Checking folks' age)

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:49 am

KSFINFAN wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

- Greg Bedard

Quote:

Why? Is Bob not available? (Checking folks' age)

LOL .. well lets see ... He is already in Miami & has played for Buffalo , NY & Boston so he knows the division very well.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:59 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Why would he leave a better situation in Green Bay?

maybe money

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

And besides, the GB offensive coordinators do the work that actually amounts to assistant offensivr coordinators since Mcarthy runs his system and calls the plays.

I probably would be fine with the idea of Clements as the head coach after hearing how much Aaron Rodgers raves about him.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

so is this our new playcaller?

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:56 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I probably would be fine with the idea of Clements as the head coach after hearing how much Aaron Rodgers raves about him.

Well people were raving about Philbin too before we hired him.

Why would you want to hire a second assistant offensive coordinator from Green Bay?

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just saw Rick Dennison (Houston OC for last 3 years) suggested as he ran a system that fits Philbin ideology.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Miami Herald reports Packers QBs coach Ben McAdoo is the favorite for the Dolphins' offensive coordinator vacancy.
It's something of a natural fit because McAdoo coached with Fins HC Joe Philbin in Green Bay. The offense wouldn't change in Miami, but the relevancy of the run game could, as McAdoo witnessed what the Packers were able to accomplish with a ground-oriented offense for much of 2013, with Aaron Rodgers out of commission. McAdoo's contract has expired in Green Bay, so he's a free agent.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Quote:
The offense wouldn't change in Miami,

Nice

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:26 pm

FINesse wrote:
Quote:
The offense wouldn't change in Miami,

Nice

The offense wasn't necessarily the problem. The playcalling was.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Apparently McAdoo is drawing interest from multiple teams. Either that or his agent is saying as much to make us Dolfans feel better about him getting hired.

Can he develop the QB and get rid of blatantly obvious snap counts? That is all I care about.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:42 pm

jammer wrote:
Apparently McAdoo is drawing interest from multiple teams. Either that or his agent is saying as much to make us Dolfans feel better about him getting hired.

Can he develop the QB and get rid of blatantly obvious snap counts? That is all I care about.

Does he have ANY playcalling experience at ANY level?

I believe the answer is no.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:43 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

McAdoo? Really?

*sigh*

:youwin:

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

None. But the beat guys are happy to point out that he worked side by side with Mike McCarthy and learned from him...I believe we have been sold that bill of goods before.

Only positive I've heard so far is that the players like and respond to him.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
McAdoo? Really?

*sigh*

:youwin:

Who is going to want to come here with the soap opera unfolding in the Dolphins offices?

I'd rather be a QB coach with the packers than an OC with the Dolphins right now. Seems like a more stable environment.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Browns will interview Packers QBs coach Ben McAdoo for their head-coaching vacancy.
McAdoo, 36, is technically a coaching free agent; his contract has expired. He's never been a coordinator or head coach at any level during his coaching career. McAdoo has been with coach Mike McCarthy ever since McCarthy's days with the Saints in the early 2000s. The Browns are casting a wide net in their search for a head coach. McAdoo would seem to be an extreme long shot. He's also been mentioned as an OC candidate for Miami, who fired Mike Sherman Monday.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:23 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i think he gets a head coaching job TBH

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rather than create another thread I'll just list guys' names I've heard and why they fit. I'm keeping it realistic so don't expect non WC guys or those who could get much better offers elsewhere (Kubiak, Chudzinksi, Turner).

Ben McAdoo - the name has been floated so it has to be on here.

Rick Dennison - Former Denver and Houston OC, recently let go with Kubiak.

Kyle Shanahan - Worked under both Sherman and Kubiak, WC offense background.

Hue Jackson - ONLY if Jay Gruden isn't hired as HC elsewhere. WC bacground, very good reputation and stuck as position coach right now.

Ken O'Keefe - promotion from WR coach if no one else wants the job

Feel free to add if you've read or heard anything.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I wish we would consider Jackson.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
I wish we would consider Jackson.

Don't know why they would not unless he is presented with better opportunities.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]