View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Dave Hyde: Where do you draft offensive linemen? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dave Hyde: Where do you draft offensive linemen?
Quote:
Where do you draft offensive linemen? This remains an important issue to the Dolphins. Of the eight teams remaining, four of the 40 starting offensive linemen were drafted among the top 15 picks. That's always the line I draw for taking guys who score touchdowns, or prevent the scoring of touchdowns, over anyone else (it's not my idea - a GM once told me this). Three of those those linemen drafted in the top 15 were left tackles (San Francisco’s Anthony Davis taken 11th, Carolina’s Jordan Gross 8th and Seattle’s Russell Okung 6th) and the fourth, San Diego’s D.J. Fluker, is a rookie expected to move to left tackle. If you expand the view to all first-round picks, five of the eight teams have left tackles taken in the first round. And they represent five of the nine linemen who were first-round picks and still with the team that drafted them. Four of the 40 starting offensive lineman remaining were undrafted. So what's it mean? Most of the offensive lines of contending teams were built with players out of the first round. That's why I've always had a fundamental issue for the manner the Dolphins built under Parcells (or Parcells/Jeff Ireland) by taking Jake Long first and Mike Pouncey 15th. Then again, the Dolphins pick 19th this year. And they need a tackle (actually two) desperately.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 0167.story

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dave Hyde: Where do you draft offensive linemen?
There isnt much to like in the free agent pool this year.

Quote:
ESPN does not expect the Chiefs to re-sign unrestricted free agent LT Branden Albert.
Albert played under a one-year, $9.828 million franchise tender this year and graded out 18th among left tackles in Pro Football Focus' grades. The Chiefs will likely roll with 2013 No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher on Alex Smith's blind side and Donald Stephenson at right tackle going forward. Despite Albert's mediocre play this season, he's going to get paid in a big way.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think we can get a good tackle prospect with our first pick.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
I think we can get a good tackle prospect with our first pick.

Fans will be expecting immediate results ala Jake Long. Very difficult.

Look at the three left tackles taken in the top 5 this year (I believe all played right tackle as rookies). Miami fans would be looking to have them traded or released already.

Miami still has money to spend. I suspect they make a push for Albert, draft the best OL guy available at 19 (either RT or OG) and try to use midround picks to fill the gaps.

I know they were grooming Dallas Thomas to try and take over the right tackle spot. Who knows how that will end.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:31 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
Fans will be expecting immediate results ala Jake Long. Very difficult.

I would be happy with a starter, something that eluded us in the 2013 draft...

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

With Keller's career seemingly over, I'd be interested in a guy like Eric Ebron at tight end. It's just a darn shame that Ireland is craptastic in drafting offensive linemen outside the 1st round. A prospect like Ebron to pair with Clay could really do good things for the offense.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:39 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Does it matter? It wasn't like the last draft was full of impact players. Could be the worst draft ever and that speaks volumes. Didn't they take an OL guy by the name of Dallas Thomas in the 3rd round last year? There are some serious issues with talent development on this team.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:37 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Does it matter? It wasn't like the last draft was full of impact players. Could be the worst draft ever and that speaks volumes. Didn't they take an OL guy by the name of Dallas Thomas in the 3rd round last year? There are some serious issues with talent development on this team.

Man . . . Nothing against you Junkie but what happened to the realistic expectations with the Dolphans around here? Look, I wanna win now just as much as anybody but it takes time to develop players.

We have sucked for years & tried to patch it up. The solution is to develop true, reliable ball players. DIon Jordan, Dion Sims, Will Davis, Jarvis Jenkins, & even Dallas Thomas could make some big plays next year. I'm happy we're not rushing these guys into action. Have you seen Ronnie Brown try to run lately? He's cooked cause we over used him.

If there isn't an amazing O-lineman there in the first round, anyone else down for scooping Kelvin Benjamin?

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Steve Zissou wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Man . . . Nothing against you Junkie but what happened to the realistic expectations with the Dolphans around here? Look, I wanna win now just as much as anybody but it takes time to develop players.

We have sucked for years & tried to patch it up. The solution is to develop true, reliable ball players. DIon Jordan, Dion Sims, Will Davis, Jarvis Jenkins, & even Dallas Thomas could make some big plays next year. I'm happy we're not rushing these guys into action. Have you seen Ronnie Brown try to run lately? He's cooked cause we over used him.

If there isn't an amazing O-lineman there in the first round, anyone else down for scooping Kelvin Benjamin?

Really? You're going to give them a pass for not hitting on one draft pick that could've started on an 8-8, mediocre team? I'm not saying they can't or won't develop into players but when you hop up in the draft to take a player at the number 3-4 overall position...he should start from day 1. If not, why did they take him there? Sorry, the excuses made for players and coaches is unreal.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Greg Robinson looked amazing tonite. I don't think we're going to have a shot at him where we pick.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:43 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
Greg Robinson looked amazing tonite. I don't think we're going to have a shot at him where we pick.

He's exactly what we need on this offensive line. That's a guy worth trading up for.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:51 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm happy we're not rushing these guys into action.

I guess you're happy being 8-8 then. The Saints dafted a LT in the 3rd round this year and he held his own against Trent Cole. He looks like a future star at LT, meanwhile none of our rookies did anything. I'm sorry, I have high expectations, without expectations, this is what we get...8-8.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:01 am

Makchell wrote:

I guess you're happy being 8-8 then. The Saints dafted a LT in the 3rd round this year and he held his own against Trent Cole. He looks like a future star at LT, meanwhile none of our rookies did anything. I'm sorry, I have high expectations, without expectations, this is what we get...8-8.

We're 8-8 because our offense scored 7 points in two games.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:23 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:

Its not so much that I'm happy just that I view the draft a bit differently. We have been pretty awful for a decade & its not going to change with a draft or two. I think Ireland hasn't been good with his talent evaluations but the percentage of college players that pan out instantly can't be high either.

We had A TON of almost wins this year & I think with better coaching we could've had a fantastic record. But realistically I don't know if this team was good enough to be in the playoffs.

Heres the point, Philbin is now going into year 3 of undoing all the past mistakes & building his team the steady, deliberate way. I know we fell on our faces in the last two games but it doesn't mean I'm any where near the cliff, like so many others. I think with an aggressive OC we can win more next year.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:30 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

We're 8-8 because our offense scored 7 points in two games.

In my opinion that is more reason why we should have tried to build that unit in the early rounds in the draft rather than trade up for future potential defensive players...

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

He's exactly what we need on this offensive line. That's a guy worth trading up for.

Agreed. I think he's going to wind up in the top 12.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:50 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Robinson is a boss!

I would love it we could snag him. But we won't. We always win enough games to screw us out of a sexy pick.

Ugh.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]