View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 [ESPN] Why Dolphins have a quality GM opening 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post [ESPN] Why Dolphins have a quality GM opening
Quote:
The Miami Dolphins agreed to part ways with former general manager Jeff Ireland on Tuesday. It was a move that some believed was long overdue after Miami completed its fifth consecutive non-winning season.

However, the seat Ireland vacates is a good one. Here are several reasons Miami has a quality opening at general manager:

1. Plenty of cap space

Analysis: The Dolphins have 20 unrestricted and restricted free agents on their roster, many with starting experience. That means the new general manager has plenty of decisions to make. But that also means there's plenty of salary-cap space available to make decisions. Oftentimes, new general managers enter a situation where they have to purge overpaid rosters of losing teams, which usually takes a year. But that’s not the case in Miami. The new boss will have the ability to shape a good portion of the roster to his liking right away in Year 1.

2. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill

Analysis: The toughest job for a lot of new general managers is finding the right quarterback. Miami already has a young, talented quarterback in Tannehill, who will get a least another year or two to prove his worth. Tannehill showed potential under tough circumstances the past two seasons. In 2013, he had an inconsistent running game and an awful offensive line that set a franchise record for sacks allowed with 58. Still, Tannehill put up career highs in yards (3,717), touchdowns (24) and passer rating (81.7). It remains to be seen if Tannehill is Miami’s quarterback for the next seven to 10 years. He will not have the full trust of the new boss. But he’s definitely showed enough promise to prevent the new general manager from drafting a first-round quarterback in Year 1. That’s one less issue to worry about.

3. In-house talent

Analysis: The cupboard is not bare in Miami. The Dolphins have talent on their roster. Some would argue Miami had enough quality players to be a playoff team this past season and underachieved with an 8-8 finish. The Dolphins had four Pro Bowl players: center Mike Pouncey, defensive end Cameron Wake, cornerback Brent Grimes and punter Brandon Fields. Ireland also spent more than $200 million of owner Stephen Ross’ money last year in free agency before being kicked out the door. That included re-signing players such as Mike Wallace, Dannell Ellerbe and Brian Hartline to long-term contracts.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/68536/why-dolphins-have-a-quality-gm-opening

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: [ESPN] Why Dolphins have a quality GM opening
Quote:
Browns assistant GM Ray Farmer and Titans vice president of player personnel Lake Dawson are candidates for the Dolphins' general manager opening.
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Packers executive Alonzo Highsmith is also on the Dolphins' "radar." Giants executive Marc Ross was reported as a candidate on Wednesday. The Dolphins are casting a wide net in their search to replace Jeff Ireland. League sources tell the Miami Herald's Adam Beasley that Farmer is the "best of the bunch."

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Browns assistant GM Ray Farmer and Titans vice president of player personnel Lake Dawson are candidates for the Dolphins' general manager opening.
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Packers executive Alonzo Highsmith is also on the Dolphins' "radar." Giants executive Marc Ross was reported as a candidate on Wednesday. The Dolphins are casting a wide net in their search to replace Jeff Ireland. League sources tell the Miami Herald's Adam Beasley that Farmer is the "best of the bunch."

The Browns and Titans are not winning football teams. Why not try and lure someone from a winning organization?

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
The Browns and Titans are not winning football teams. Why not try and lure someone from a winning organization?

Just because they win does not mean they are good. Just because they lose does not mean they are bad.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:35 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Farmer came from KC, 2006-2012. He worked with Pioli putting that team together... He was with Clev 1 season so far...
Quote:
Former longtime NFL team executive Scott Pioli describes Farmer as a general manager in-waiting.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/10/ray_farmer_cleveland_browns_nfl_draft_2014.html

Doesnt seem like anything to get excited over, but worth a look..

Dawson has experience in evaluating talent, but cant say its him or the person making final say in Tenn... He seems more like a name to shuffle through...

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:53 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

I am sure whoever Mr. Ross & Ms. Aponte choose will lead us back to glory. I have the utmost confidence in this franchise & the great people who run it. What an exciting time to be a Dolphin fan , all other fans of other teams should be envious.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
I am sure whoever Mr. Ross & Ms. Aponte choose will lead us back to glory. I have the utmost confidence in this franchise & the great people who run it. What an exciting time to be a Dolphin fan , all other fans of other teams should be envious.

:hypnotize:

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:34 pm

Ski_Money wrote:
FINesse wrote:

:hypnotize:

I mean what else can possibly be said. This whole thing is just so ridiculous & embarrassing. Other teams fire a coach or a GM or a coordinator & thats it ... done , make a hire & move on .... no soap opera , no drama , no power struggle or back stabbing , nothing dysfunctional.
Si I figure once again I will drink the kool aid , buy in , stay positive because come September most of us will be there anyway. What a joke. Maybe Sage Rosenfels & Mercury Morris for Coach & GM ... wouldn't put it past Ross. The only thing we seem to be good at it airing Dirty Laundry.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:01 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I have faith. Too many contradicting articles out. I'll just stick with the faith. I believe Ross wants a winning football team. I believe Philbin does too. First and foremost. They'll get it right.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Haha wrote:
I have faith. Too many contradicting articles out. I'll just stick with the faith. I believe Ross wants a winning football team. I believe Philbin does too. First and foremost. They'll get it right.

The optimism is commendable, but I don't understand how anyone can rationalize having "faith" in what is going on. When did the franchise go about earning that kind of thing .... especially since it's been under the ownership of Ross.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:28 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
The optimism is commendable, but I don't understand how anyone can rationalize having "faith" in what is going on. When did the franchise go about earning that kind of thing .... especially since it's been under the ownership of Ross.

Maybe they get it right... Really all we have had to look forward to for a couple decades now.. Grew up watching the greatest QB to play the game never win a championship here...

Im so use to being disappointed its numbing..

My bro in law is pushing me into fantasy football, said its a great way to stay interested in football after the Dolphins let us down every season...

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]