View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Jared Odrick- DT/DE- 1st round pick 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Jared Odrick
Yeah, they basically put a piece to a part of the puzzle that was already complete.

I don't understand it. But hey, sometimes it's just about getting a good football player. Odrick is a Big Ten School guy (3 in 3 years now), and a Bill Parcells and Tony Sparano type of player.

One thing is for sure...Phillip Merling is out of here by Saturday.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Like the player hate the pick.
Perhaps they believed he was the BPA....??

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:02 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I had the Phins taking a DE/DT in my mock, but I did not think Odrick was in the picture. Still, this was a guy projected as a 1st round pick, Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

He is versatile enough to play DE, DT and provide pass rush at the NT position on 3rd downs as he had 11 TFL and 7 sacks as a senior.

Plus, you still have Sergio Kindle, Everson Griffen and perhaps Terrance Cody on the board if Miami wants to take a massive NT in the 2nd round.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:03 pm

I thought Miami put themselves in great position to nab a pass rusher at 28, and then grab any darn safety they wanted in the 2nd round, and still have the 3rd round to grab a TE or something.

Guess they have a plan. But I don't think there's any doubt the next 2 picks should be OLB and S.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:05 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i am from pa and have watched many psu games and allll of my friends are psu fans. he isnt that bad, although i would have much rather had dan williams. a weird fact about odrick even though it doesnt matter: he has herpes.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think Dan Williams would have been the pick, but the Cardinals got him ahead of Miami.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Perhaps they still take Cody or another true NT later. They might have just solidified the dline for years to come. (yes I'm trying to be a glass is half full guy here) lol
Odrick || Cody || Langford/Starks

Then you need to take at least one OLB and most def a safety. I would also like a TE and another running back (Gerhardt).

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Jared Odrick- DT/DE- 1st round pick
Not the player I would have expected considering the many other needs the D has.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rhoads30 wrote:
i am from pa and have watched many psu games and allll of my friends are psu fans. he isnt that bad, although i would have much rather had dan williams.
Live 2 Hr from Knoxville. Williams has a lazy streak to him & was not projected as a No. 1 coming into the season.

rhoads30 wrote:
he has herpes.
Don't we all?

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:09 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Not very sexy for a first round pick. DT/DE. However I remember thinking the same thing about the Jake Long Pick.

"One thing is for sure...Phillip Merling is out of here by Saturday."

I'm curious as to why anyone would think this. Merling was a decent player for Miami last season.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Well if we have Merling, Langford, Starks, Solai, and Ferguson, where do we put Odrick? Are we going back to a 4-3? Surely not.............right?

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:14 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:

I'm curious as to why anyone would think this. Merling was a decent player for Miami last season.

There is no reason for him to stay anymore. You now have 3 DE's ahead of him, and Tony McDaniel on the roster as well. Considering McDaniel has the versatility to bounce over to NT while Phil doesn't, I can't see him fitting in right now...

I don't think they drafted Odrick with the intention of running a 5 man rotation.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Not the player I would have expected considering the many other needs the D has.

My guess is that he was the BPA on the draft board. I never have a problem with picking BPA. I can bet that they weren't looking for yet another DE, which leads me to believe he was BPA. Better to choose BPA than go after a position and make a reach. I'm a bit hesitant to endorse a trade all the way back to 28, but I'm not terribly upset. I would like to have had a shot at the safety from Texas, which we would have at 12, but it is what it is. Considering we passed on 27 guys, I'm guessing that much of the board is comprised of guys later in the draft. We didn't feel the need to pay big money for a guy up front, and see possibilities later on.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

There is no reason for him to stay anymore. You now have 3 DE's ahead of him, and Tony McDaniel on the roster as well. Considering McDaniel has the versatility to bounce over to NT while Phil doesn't, I can't see him fitting in right now...

I don't think they drafted Odrick with the intention of running a 5 man rotation.

Seriously. Back off of the "I am an expert about football bit." Odrick is already ahead of Merling? Without even one practice you've anointed Odrick a starter, and a guy who has been very good for us is already gone. Why don't you wait until the people who actually know something about football to make the decrees from on high?

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:25 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Seriously. Back off of the "I am an expert about football bit." Odrick is already ahead of Merling? Without even one practice you've anointed Odrick a starter, and a guy who has been very good for us is already gone. Why don't you wait until the people who actually know something about football to make the decrees from on high?

So I'm annointing myself an expert for blurting out my opinion.....K.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:27 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think he's a good pick. We picked up someone who can clog up the middle. That was a big weakness when we lost Ferguson. Nose tackle in a 3-4 isn't flashy.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Here's my thoughts on the Odrick pick I don't really like it, but after doing some research I've found that the trifecta is going for the Jay Ratliff mold of nose tackle. Jay Ratliff 6'4 303 Jared, Odrick 6'5 304.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:44 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Alex, I don't know that Jared will be used at a NT on run downs, but he certainly will move inside to provide pass rush on the interior. Push up the middle is just as important, if not more sometimes than getting that pressure off the edge. A QB can step inside on an outside pass rush, but he has no were to go on pass rush up the middle.

He has a non stop motor and versatility to play up and down the line of scrimmage and he is indeed stout against the run. He is an excellent value pick at #28 and can help this DL.

I saw some comments on the chat board about a 2nd round talent. He was in the 1st round of every mock draft I saw, a top 30 player.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:52 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

They most have seen something they really liked about the kid when they were down there at the Senior Bowl......the pick is obviously not one of need, so most have been bpa in their opinion.......

I hope with the next 2 picks they target OLB and FS......not holding my breathe though, this draft has been extremely unpredictable so far........I mean the Raiders actually made a good pick in the 1st round, how crazy is that! :hithead:

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

What about

Phins Rock wrote:

says opinion? To me it says "According to El Supremo, me, . . .". You know that whole "One thing is for sure" bit and all. Isn't crazy how words actually mean things?

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing a little bit after the draft.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rhoads30 wrote:
i am from pa and have watched many psu games and allll of my friends are psu fans. he isnt that bad, although i would have much rather had dan williams. a weird fact about odrick even though it doesnt matter: he has herpes.

Dude.... seriously .... TMFI .... and it's weird you know that.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Plus out those DE's he is the least consistent. I remember a lot of talk about that over the last couple seasons.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
"There wasn't a whole lof ot difference between the players available at No. 12 and No. 28," Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland said.

Odrick figures to battle starters Kendall Langford and Randy Starks and backup Philip Merling for playing time at end. Starks and Langford ranked fourth and seventh on the team in tackles in 2009, respectively.

Odrick was rated the third-best defensive lineman in the draft by CBS Sports.com, behind Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, who were selected second and third overall, respectively.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dol ... s_dolphins

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

instead of Merling being gone. Will he get a shot at OLB? I mean if Roth can play the spot, Merling should be able to.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

nbrewer22 wrote:
instead of Merling being gone. Will he get a shot at OLB? I mean if Roth can play the spot, Merling should be able to.

Not gonna happen. Merling is a beefy boy.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I like this pick because in my opinion, we need just as much help on the defensive line as we do with the outside linebackers.
This guy can play DE and some analysts think he could even play NT, I'm sure his versatility is osmething the Dolphins really like. The few videos I have seen of him show a guy with a quick burst and an array of moves to get past blockers, and he seems very athletic for a guy his size.

:yay:

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Just saw this:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/23/1 ... rfect.html

Quote:
Pro Football Weekly's draft preview says Odrick's positives are ``excellent body length to disrupt passing lanes. Outstanding athlete for a big man. Secure tackler. Outstanding work ethic. Tough and will play through injuries.''

The publication lists these as his negatives: ``Does not consistently play to his size. Not stout for a 300-pounder -- lacks base strength to anchor and does not generate power from his lower half. Lunges and loses balances. Can do a better job working his hands and feet in unison. Lacks elite closing burst at the top of his rush. Could play more disciplined.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/23/1 ... z0lthERyEG

Sounds like just what we need.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Loved the pick..

My guess is that he plays more inside than out.... but should have a solid D-Line rotation next year.
major depth.... more beef on the line... good stuff..

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
I had the Phins taking a DE/DT in my mock, but I did not think Odrick was in the picture. Still, this was a guy projected as a 1st round pick, Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

He is versatile enough to play DE, DT and provide pass rush at the NT position on 3rd downs as he had 11 TFL and 7 sacks as a senior.

Plus, you still have Sergio Kindle, Everson Griffen and perhaps Terrance Cody on the board if Miami wants to take a massive NT in the 2nd round.

You bring up an excellent point. Odrick could be the man at NT on 3rd down. You could also use Odrick as a DE on 1st and 2nd as well. Remember, our new D-Coordinator Nolan loves to get guys that can play a specific role in a defensive package. Odrick is a versatile guy that wears many hats. I like this move, we get bigger and more talented. I hope we get Cody next! Could you imagine Cody destroying everything that moves on 1st and 2nd, then bringing in Odrick to pass rush on 3rd? I love it!
:goteam:

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:01 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

Dude.... seriously .... TMFI .... and it's weird you know that.

haha....my good buddy's fiance is bff's with odrick's gf....im kinda glad he is a dolphin now.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:05 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Not sure PR is annointing himself El Supremo, I think that is an unfair attack. He may be on to something. Odrick was probably BPA and whether expected or not, Merling, Langford and McDaniel have to all be wondering what their status with the team is.

As mentioned, McDaniel can be an emergency sub at NT or a 43 DT in Nickel situations. Langford has proven to be pretty good, not stellar, but starter worthy. Merling is a nice rotational guy who has made some plays, and I was hoping he could be converted into a Roth type OLB but not sure that will happen. Odrick will certainly present a challenge, but he could just as easily end up as nothing better than Merling. However I do think Merling presents an interesting trade piece now for a team desperate for some DL help.

I do not agree that S or OLB have to be the next couple of picks. The Odrick pick proves that they will go BPA, whether it be TE, OG, WR, RB, etc. Tonight will be just as awesome and crazy as last night.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:54 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Seems like a very versatile player. Can play inside and out, good at getting to the QB and also a beast against the run, plays multiple positions...

I find it strange that none of the draft "experts" had him coming to us... Appears to be the prototypical player for this regime....

Now to see who is there at 40 for us... OLB - FS.... Or do we get another surprise that crashes the Phinfever server :ann0y:

And not for nothing, but I dont think you can call a 6' 5" 305 pound man a "bff"..... Specially not when your telling everyone about his herpes......

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:58 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

What about

Phins Rock wrote:

says opinion? To me it says "According to El Supremo, me, . . .". You know that whole "One thing is for sure" bit and all. Isn't crazy how words actually mean things?

He's speculating and opining. Get off the guy's back.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:06 am

Keep something in mind.

Parcells drafted a 6'4 302 lbs defensive tackle in Dallas and lined him up at the nose. The guy is the anchor of a good Dallas front. Not only does he maintain his position at the point of attack, but he gets sacks.

A guy with Ratliff's size projects as a 34 defensive end, but has flourished as a 34 nose tackle. Odrick has similar dimensions and a similar skillset as Jay Ratliff.

I'm of the opinion that you get short, stout, heavy guys to play the nose, but these guys have made it wortk with a taller, more slender guy in Ratliff.

That may be the plan here as well.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing a little bit after the draft.

Me too.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:18 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm thinking Mt. Cody in the 2nd.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:37 am

Look , nobody knows. This guy was off the radar. Sometimes I think the draft is like a night in Vegas ... a crap shoot even with all the prep that goes into it.
I remember guys defending the Ginn pick & loving the Beck pick. I am sure when he was picked alot of peoplke said "Marino .... who is he?".

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:47 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
Keep something in mind.

Parcells drafted a 6'4 302 lbs defensive tackle in Dallas and lined him up at the nose. The guy is the anchor of a good Dallas front. Not only does he maintain his position at the point of attack, but he gets sacks.

A guy with Ratliff's size projects as a 34 defensive end, but has flourished as a 34 nose tackle. Odrick has similar dimensions and a similar skillset as Jay Ratliff.

I'm of the opinion that you get short, stout, heavy guys to play the nose, but these guys have made it wortk with a taller, more slender guy in Ratliff.

That may be the plan here as well.

Hadn't realized that, but I definitely agree. Many college football analysts think this Odrick can play NT as well. I definitely like the pick, truth is Langford and Merling have been good but we need a guy who can get that push from the middle..especially in Ferg's absence.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:32 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Yeah, I've heard that Odrick will likely be bulked up and play the NT. Very interesting pick to say the least.

Last edited by joeschmoe on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next