View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Miami makes all the right moves in the first round 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Miami makes all the right moves in the first round
Quote:
By ARMANDO SALGUERO
asalguero@MiamiHerald.com
Sometimes the choice is quality over quantity. Sometimes the choice is quantity over quality.

Rare is the moment when the choice is to have it all and get a fateful shot at quality and quantity in one fell swoop. The Dolphins made a hopeful reach for that rare flash of history Thursday night.

Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano held one card in the first two rounds of an extremely deep draft when the NFL began its first midweek, prime-time selection show.

Two hours in, the Miami trio turned that one pick at No. 12 into two picks in the top 40

It is true this is one giant assumption that Odrick and a player they haven't picked yet can be starters on the 2010 Dolphins. Parcells reminds anyone who will listen that drafting is not a science but rather a Vegas roll of the dice.

But we should have confidence Parcells can roll a seven coming out. After all, he did it last year. And the year before.

In the 2009 draft, the Dolphins turned Vontae Davis, picked No. 25 overall, and Sean Smith, picked in the second round and 61st overall, into starters.

This year's team also will feature two starters -- Jake Long and Chad Henne -- from the first two rounds of the 2008 draft.

Hopefully, turning the trick a third time in three years will be a charm for Miami.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/23/1 ... z0ltoAC3tH

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Miami makes all the right moves in the first round
I love it .... Omar Kelly tweeted that at 1am there were still 3 cars in the parking lot and could we guess which ones .... haha

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:30 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

i really dont see how we made all the right moves when you trade down from 12th to 28th,you get a 2nd which we should have got!then they get our 4th which is 110,we get theirs like 124 or so and they also get one of our 6th round picks!i do know we got bobbins whom is a career back up!how did we make the right moves,im not seeing it!

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Because they have a solid pick in Odrick, recovered half the cost of acquiring Brandon Marshall and added a solid special teams player. IMO that 2nd round pick will be used to address OLB or S and will be a pretty decent player. There are a lot of great players left on the board and Miami will be picking again today after 7 picks come off the board.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:36 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
I love it .... Omar Kelly tweeted that at 1am there were still 3 cars in the parking lot and could we guess which ones .... haha

Work it!

:pumpiron:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I love the trade, and think that Dobbins may be more than just a special teams player. I think he has a chance as a starter.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:00 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I had the night to sleep on the pick and woke up still shaking my head. I don't agree that they made all the right moves. We down graded to get quantity and sacrificed quality. We could have gotten a play maker, a game changer. Yes we got an extra pick, so now we get two average guys when we could have gotten one great guy.
Just my opinion, so rip it apart....

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:11 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

It never ceases to amaze me... I wonder if ther is a perfect scenario or player that every fan would be happy with...

Seems almost every person had a different opinion on who they wanted and what we needed....

Funny....

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:27 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The trade down was an ok trade, nothing super great, nothing too bad. I think San Diego did quite well in the trade, and I think we got what we wanted (a 2nd round pick). The swapping picks in the 4th too me was a bit much, considering that Dobbins is likely only worth a 6th rounder at best (which we gave them). On the same token though, we will have a 2nd round draft pick in the top 10 of that round. Thats pretty good value there. Had their 2nd rounder been in the teens, I'm sure we wouldn't have swapped picks in the 4th.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:05 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

IMO the bolts could have picked him a bit lower than 12, so i think it was good we had a parner there. everything i read about odrick says he was the perfect fit for the 3-4 good at both the run and pass. maybe not elite but able to do both well. i was not sure about the pick at first, but i like it more and more now. i agree now we get OLB or S with the 40 and we will be ok, i think anyway. everyone does want "their" guy but in the end we are all in this together. also, i think we get NT in the 3rd if they are going to play odrick at the DE. hopefully cam thomas will still be there.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:12 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Jason Taylor was a 3rd round pick. Zach Thomas was a 5th. The game changers aren't always top ten.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:51 am
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

San Diego got the better end of this trade. We dropped 16 spots in the first and 4th, plus gave up our 6th for the 40th pick plus a 27 year old special teamer. I'm not saying we got completely ripped off but it's certainly not a draft day coup worthy of bragging about, IMO.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:30 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I agree that San Diego got the better end of the deal (the swapping spots in the fourth is what bothers me the most), but the Dolphins were successful in recouping a second rounder that, let's face it, the team DESPERATELY needs. At first I was angry with the dual swap, but if that is what it takes to get the 8th pick with the type of talent that is on the board right now? Deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team really wants that pick and offers up their 2011 second or a 2010 third for us to trade back down in the second this year. Would be a smart move unless there is someone the Dolphins are hot after.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:39 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

TennFinFan13 wrote:
San Diego got the better end of this trade. We dropped 16 spots in the first and 4th, plus gave up our 6th for the 40th pick plus a 27 year old special teamer. I'm not saying we got completely ripped off but it's certainly not a draft day coup worthy of bragging about, IMO.

Uh... we got the 8th pick in the second round. that alone was worth it...

The eagles gave the broncos 2 3rd round picks--- to move up to #13. So if Phins make that trade---- they have nothing in the second....

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]