View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Jared Odrick- DT/DE- 1st round pick 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Jared Odrick
Hey, we got a guy that can cover the run & put pressure on the QB, also a guy that should be in the rotation come September..

I am picturing him lined up on the outside with Wake next to him and feeling a little better about our run D on that side...

Then maybe Nolan mixing it up a bit and moving him over to the inside for the next down, throwing the QB off and keeping them on their toes...

could be interesting

Last edited by 10acjed on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Keep something in mind.

Parcells drafted a 6'4 302 lbs defensive tackle in Dallas and lined him up at the nose. The guy is the anchor of a good Dallas front. Not only does he maintain his position at the point of attack, but he gets sacks.

A guy with Ratliff's size projects as a 34 defensive end, but has flourished as a 34 nose tackle. Odrick has similar dimensions and a similar skillset as Jay Ratliff.

I'm of the opinion that you get short, stout, heavy guys to play the nose, but these guys have made it wortk with a taller, more slender guy in Ratliff.

That may be the plan here as well.

I think a lot of people are crossing their fingers for this. I don't know much about Odrick or his strengths other than what I've read in the last 12 hours. Would be awesome if this is the case.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I am a phins fan from Pa..

I love this pick.. the guy is a beast! and can be moved where we need him..

I was expecting something different.. but I am far from unhappy with Jared playing for the Phins

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

For what its worth (not much), those of you complaining that Odrick wasn't worth the pick or was 2nd round talent, I looked up some mock drafts and this is what they had to say.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010_1.php
Has Odrick going to the Ravens at 25

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/ ... 17-32.html
29 to the Jets

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/nflmockdraft.html
25 to the Ravens

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2010 ... =28&page=3
29 to the Jets

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=961
Late first, 4th overall DT

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=881
Jets at 29

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The jests were definitely interested so its nice that we kept him away from them.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:39 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This is a good pick the guy is an absolute beast and the Dolphin coaching staff witnessed it first hand in the senior bowl he eats double teams and splits them too. Worries about his strength are more of a function of his conditioning but as part of a rotation shouldnt be an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDNdZ9WrtTk

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm not going to be a homer, I really like the Jets draft pick and I really like what they are doing this year to make a run at the Super Bowl. They have a one year window and then they will have some contract issues, but they have put together a team capable of winning it all, and they haven't given much to get it. It sucks too because they are my most hated team, but I have to hand it to them, they are making some good moves. I'm not going to crown them just yet though, they have to make all that chemistry mix well, and that has always been an issue for 'win now' rosters. I think it will be tough, but if they can do it, they are going to be pretty darn tough to beat.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

ggippo wrote:
This is a good pick the guy is an absolute beast and the Dolphin coaching staff witnessed it first hand in the senior bowl he eats double teams and splits them too. Worries about his strength are more of a function of his conditioning but as part of a rotation shouldnt be an issue.

George, do you think they view him as another Ratliff?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:21 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rich wrote:
Keep something in mind.

Parcells drafted a 6'4 302 lbs defensive tackle in Dallas and lined him up at the nose. The guy is the anchor of a good Dallas front. Not only does he maintain his position at the point of attack, but he gets sacks.

A guy with Ratliff's size projects as a 34 defensive end, but has flourished as a 34 nose tackle. Odrick has similar dimensions and a similar skillset as Jay Ratliff.

I'm of the opinion that you get short, stout, heavy guys to play the nose, but these guys have made it wortk with a taller, more slender guy in Ratliff.

That may be the plan here as well.

Agree Odrick will play inside... this is the NT pick... he could move around for depth...for certain packages.. but i bet he takes majority of snaps as NT-- thats where he was dominate in college

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:47 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phin wrote:
I'm not going to be a homer, I really like the Jets draft pick and I really like what they are doing this year to make a run at the Super Bowl. They have a one year window and then they will have some contract issues, but they have put together a team capable of winning it all, and they haven't given much to get it. It sucks too because they are my most hated team, but I have to hand it to them, they are making some good moves. I'm not going to crown them just yet though, they have to make all that chemistry mix well, and that has always been an issue for 'win now' rosters. I think it will be tough, but if they can do it, they are going to be pretty darn tough to beat.

It gave them some insurance for Cromartie. Jets Dolphins could be the best division rivalry in football this year?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:38 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
ggippo wrote:

definitely could be a Situational Nose Tackle he moves good and hes BIG uses his hands good

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:41 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

He can play all three spots up front. He could be in rotation with Starks and Langford on first and second downs and then nose during a 3rd down passing situation. Would not be surprised if they grabbed Jeff Owens later that would be a great rotation.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:46 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
ggippo wrote:

I hope so. If not, we still have a huge whole to fill.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Merling is not going anywhere unless Miami gets great value for him. I do not think picking Odrick speaks to Merling's future whatsoever. In the NFL these days most teams play four-man fronts even when they are a 3-4 formation due to nickel and dime packages with three, four and even five receivers on the field. Odrick will get 20-30 plays a game as a ROOKIE if he continues to impress the coaching staff. And that will not necessarily be in place of Merling.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:42 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

onlygators wrote:
Merling is not going anywhere unless Miami gets great value for him. I do not think picking Odrick speaks to Merling's future whatsoever. In the NFL these days most teams play four-man fronts even when they are a 3-4 formation due to nickel and dime packages with three, four and even five receivers on the field. Odrick will get 20-30 plays a game as a ROOKIE if he continues to impress the coaching staff. And that will not necessarily be in place of Merling.

Agree-- Merling isnt going anywhere..

Odrick will play mostly as the NT... but could rotate and provide depth at the DE.

Starks, Odrick, Langford Merling can rotate in with Starks or Langford at the DE.

Starks can play DE or NT --- maybe switching with Odrick during plays or certain packages..

probably times we could see all four on the field....

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:14 am
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

I think they put him more at DT than DE myself.

Here's a scouting report blurb on him...

Jared Odrick looked absolutely dominating at times during Senior Bowl practices. He only recorded one tackle during the game, but he consistently beat blockers and got into the backfield. He's a solid athlete and he never takes a play off. He will likely come off the board at the end of round one.

And more...

Jared Odrick has continued his solid offseason, not only solidifying his first round status, but putting himself in consideration as high as pick 20 to Houston. He ran a 4.98 second 40 yard dash at the combine, and looked outstanding during his position drills.

Considering the regime needed to recoup the 2nd Rd pick (which the current format makes even more important), which they did and with a high pick (#40), can anyone say Sergio Kindle?

I'm happy with the pick: you get a high-motor guy who will work his a$$ off at a spot where we have a delay (Ferg) and a dilemna (Soliai). Nice, and I think he was also BPA on the DL at #28.

The only two picks that made me scratch my head were Oakland's, because for once it actually seemed like they knew what they were doing, and Jacksonvilles', which was a complete head-scratcher. The Jags have a lot of needs, and one of them was not the 5th-6th best guy at his position taken in the first dozen picks.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:34 am

pawfectgent wrote:
can anyone say Sergio Kindle?

He may have a microfracture in his knee.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:53 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

He is not in the Vince Wilfork or Tony Siragusa model of NT but that doesn't mean he can't be really effective at that position. John Randall became a perennial pro-bowler at that position at a much lighter weight than Odrick. I like the pick, though I won't be surprised if they don't take another DT.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:38 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

catman_56 wrote:
He is not in the Vince Wilfork or Tony Siragusa model of NT but that doesn't mean he can't be really effective at that position. John Randall became a perennial pro-bowler at that position at a much lighter weight than Odrick. I like the pick, though I won't be surprised if they don't take another DT.

Randall was not a 34 NT....He did play some 43 DT, but he was a 43 DE mostly. But never did he play 34 NT.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:40 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

Randall was not a 34 NT....He did play some 43 DT, but he was a 43 DE mostly. But never did he play 34 NT.

I have to respectfully disagree. Randle was a DT and did line up in the nose tackle position over the center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Randle

I have no recollection of him ever playing DE.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:03 pm

catman_56 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree. Randle was a DT and did line up in the nose tackle position over the center.

Randall never played in a 34.... so your comparison is 100% absolute useless.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Wasn't Randall a 43 DE for Minny???

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:48 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

catman_56 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

Randall never played in a 34.... so your comparison is 100% absolute useless.[/quote]

Actually if you had read what I wrote and not just passed your eyes over the words you would have seen that the point I was making was that there are more than one type of player that is successful on the DL. Some bigger, some quicker with better technique. I NEVER compared Odrick to Randle smart guy! I only pointed out that there is more than one way to be successful at that position.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Wasn't Randall a 43 DE for Minny???

No. He was defensive tackle in a 43.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

catman_56 wrote:
Actually if you had read what I wrote and not just passed your eyes over the words you would have seen that the point I was making was that there are more than one type of player that is successful on the DL. Some bigger, some quicker with better technique. I NEVER compared Odrick to Randle smart guy! I only pointed out that there is more than one way to be successful at that position.

If you paid attention to what you said you'd know that Rich's comment was correct. Randle never played 1 technique tackle, the team always had a 4 man front. Bringing his name up is pointless.

You never compared the two? You compared their sizes. You compared their positions. It made no sense, take your pills and calm down.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Jared Odrick- DT/DE- 1st round pick
I liked that video of Odrick in the Senior Bowl... he was absolutely blowing through the line time after time and if he didn't get held on that one play (flag was thrown) he would have had an easy sack.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:43 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

If you paid attention to what you said you'd know that Rich's comment was correct. Randle never played 1 technique tackle, the team always had a 4 man front. Bringing his name up is pointless.

You never compared the two? You compared their sizes. You compared their positions. It made no sense, take your pills and calm down.

I did not insult anyone's post to begin with, I come in here with an open mind because everyone on this board is a fan of my favorite team. However, if you insult me then I am going to insult you.

The only things I have said are that seem to be in dispute

1. John Randle lined up over center at times in his career (a fact)

2. That Jared Odrick and John Randle are not the same size player (a fact)

3. That different size players have succeeded at NT (a fact)

None of that should have been controversial but you chose to make it that way. I never disputed that Randle primarily played in a 43, or that at times he didn't lineup at DE. However, that doesn't change the fact that he also lined up at nose too!

A little bit of courtesy and thought before you post would go a long way.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:19 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

catman_56 wrote:
I did not insult anyone's post to begin with, I come in here with an open mind because everyone on this board is a fan of my favorite team. However, if you insult me then I am going to insult you.

I wasn't aware anybody insulted you...

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2