View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:23 am



Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf 
Author Message
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3070
Post Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
Quote:
....

On if Odrick was who they were targeting all along) - "Well you have your board set. He was the guy that - we stay with our board I'll just say that. We stay with our board. When we moved down to 28 one of the things we wanted to do obviously was get our second round pick back. That was important to us. That was something we were looking to do, but if the player that we were targeting was there at 12 we were potentially going to take that player too. So it kind of worked out that we were able to move down and get another player that we also liked."


On if acquiring Brandon Marshall eliminated taking an offensive player in the 1st round) - "Absolutely not. It did not. I think you pick good players. Like I said in my other previous press conferences, you're looking to add good players on this roster and whether that's offensively or defensively you're just looking to do that. And there were some offensive players in this year's draft in the 1st round that we were considering. It just didn't fall the way we would take them."

On if anything surprised him in the first round) - "Not really. Not too much. All the players that were taken were all deserving of it. So nothing really surprised me."

On if knowing there was good depth in the draft made it easier to trade down) - "I think there is still good depth. We still have good players on the board, obviously. Like I said in my previous press conference, I do feel like there is good depth in this draft. I think we felt if we moved from [the 12th pick] we would still have good players. We looked at our board, there wasn't a whole lot of difference from the players that we were considering at [number] 12 and the players we would considered at [number] 28. There wasn't a huge jump in caliber of players. That is one of the reasons you drop down as far we dropped down."

...

(On if he goes home feeling good about tonight overall) – "I do. I feel great about Jared [Odrick], I feel actually fantastic about him. He really fits the kind of guy we are looking for. I feel great about getting [Tim] Dobbins as well as part of this package. We are not going to be bored in the first part of the day tomorrow. We need some other pieces to help this team. The [number 40 overall pick] will help that. I feel great. We kind of accomplished a couple of our goals and the plan we set out. I feel really good about it."


(On what he thinks tomorrow before the draft will be like during the day) It is pretty much the same. Sometimes the phone is ringing a lot and sometimes it is not ringing at all. Obviously when you have a pick in the top 10 of the day you are going to get some action pretty quickly... I think there will be a lot of action in the top of the second round, I think there will quite a bit of action actually."

...

On if it is safe to say that there wasn't one particular outside linebacker that stuck out to them) – "They were all the kind of the same kind of guy...

(On if the addition of Jared Odrick creates a situation with multiple players at similar positions) – "Not necessarily because I think we have some versatility with those players; that you could utilize those players in different spots."


http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss


Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us move back in the 2nd to regain the pick we gave in the dobbins deal.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:30 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 811
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
joeschmoe wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us move back in the 2nd to regain the pick we gave in the dobbins deal.


Some 2nd day mocks have Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett lasting all the way to 59 or 60. If we dropped back again, picking up another 5th rounder or so and still got one of those two I'd be good.


Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:35 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4374
Location: Sunny South Florida
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
Its nice to see some positives about this....
Been listening to 560 & 790 down here and they are just trashing this pick..

I just dont get how these "experts" on the radio arent building championship football teams the way they go about trashing the way the Fins pic...

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:48 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
10acjed wrote:
Its nice to see some positives about this....
Been listening to 560 & 790 down here and they are just trashing this pick..

I just dont get how these "experts" on the radio arent building championship football teams the way they go about trashing the way the Fins pic...


I wanted to strangle 'the big O' this morning, his whole show he whined about this pick and only took calls from other whiners. He's so arrogant I almost puked.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:57 am
Profile
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:16 am
Posts: 1
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
Completley agree - Big O is a punk...if he knows so much, then why isn't he in the NFL...
I swear Miami radio is crap...I like the Odd-Rick pick...dude is gonna be a beast...


posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=1123#


Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:10 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 494
Location: Ruff Buff NY
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
I think the pick was a solid move plus we got a 2nd out of it. Now lets just hope that our board holds up on day 2. I know there is depth out there but spots we need players in so do the Pat's,and they have 3 2nd round picks. They need (olb) and D-line help like we do,man three picks they can get a lot of help that we need.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:13 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8927
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
Quote:
On if acquiring Brandon Marshall eliminated taking an offensive player in the 1st round) - "Absolutely not. It did not. I think you pick good players. Like I said in my other previous press conferences, you're looking to add good players on this roster and whether that's offensively or defensively you're just looking to do that. And there were some offensive players in this year's draft in the 1st round that we were considering. It just didn't fall the way we would take them."

It really makes you wonder if they were considering Spiller at 12? Who else that was drafted in the top 11 was someone we would have taken? I don't think they would have gone offensive line, and they weren't going quarterback.............. Spiller is the only one I can think of.


Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:48 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5044
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
Phin wrote:
It really makes you wonder if they were considering Spiller at 12? Who else that was drafted in the top 11 was someone we would have taken? I don't think they would have gone offensive line, and they weren't going quarterback.............. Spiller is the only one I can think of.


Well it's no doubt a more "offensive" league now. You absolutely have to consider guys like Spiller and Bryant when they are there.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:00 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
joeschmoe wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us move back in the 2nd to regain the pick we gave in the dobbins deal.


I don't get it.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:07 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us move back in the 2nd to regain the pick we gave in the dobbins deal.


I don't get it.


We lost a 6th round pick when we moved down in the 1st, did you miss that?

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:21 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5044
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
joeschmoe wrote:

We lost a 6th round pick when we moved down in the 1st, did you miss that?


We don't need another late round pick. We acquired a proven back up and special teams ace for it. We already have two more 6th's and three 7th's. That's more than enough.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:28 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
joeschmoe wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us move back in the 2nd to regain the pick we gave in the dobbins deal.


I don't get it.


We lost a 6th round pick when we moved down in the 1st, did you miss that?


I read it about 5 times, and I finally get it. I thought you were saying that Miami gave up a 2nd for Dobbins and were looking to "move back into the 2nd" but you mean move back to acquire another pick.
:embarrassed:

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:31 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
You don't like late round picks? Really? Look at this list of a few later round choices, how did they turn out?

Zach Thomas - 5th round
Rodney Harrison - 5th round
Terrell Davis - 6th round
Al Harris - 6th round
Tom Brady - 6th round
Shannon Sharp - 7th round

The more picks the better.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5044
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
joeschmoe wrote:
You don't like late round picks? Really? Look at this list of a few later round choices, how did they turn out?

Zach Thomas - 5th round
Rodney Harrison - 5th round
Terrell Davis - 6th round
Al Harris - 6th round
Tom Brady - 6th round
Shannon Sharp - 7th round

The more picks the better.


First off, let's eliminate the 5th rounders. Not talking about them. We were talking about 6th's. And while your list is impressive, do I really have to jot down all the 6th round failures and guys that were cut in training camp?

Point is, we already have 5 picks between the 6th and 7th rounds. That's enough. It was never a matter of "liking" 6th round picks. Just how many guys do you want to invite to TC this year? LOL.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:53 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
Rock Sexton wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
You don't like late round picks? Really? Look at this list of a few later round choices, how did they turn out?

Zach Thomas - 5th round
Rodney Harrison - 5th round
Terrell Davis - 6th round
Al Harris - 6th round
Tom Brady - 6th round
Shannon Sharp - 7th round

The more picks the better.


First off, let's eliminate the 5th rounders. Not talking about them. We were talking about 6th's. And while your list is impressive, do I really have to jot down all the 6th round failures and guys that were cut in training camp?

Point is, we already have 5 picks between the 6th and 7th rounds. That's enough. It was never a matter of "liking" 6th round picks. Just how many guys do you want to invite to TC this year? LOL.


The more the better. You should also look at the flipside of your argument, how many top rounds picks are busts? Point is - the draft is a crapshoot, the more picks you can acquire, the better your odds at landing someone worthwhile. If you're entering a raffle is it better to have 1 or 2 tickets or 8 or 9 tickets?

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3696
Post Re: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland breaks down day one of the NFL Draf
Phin wrote:
Quote:
On if acquiring Brandon Marshall eliminated taking an offensive player in the 1st round) - "Absolutely not. It did not. I think you pick good players. Like I said in my other previous press conferences, you're looking to add good players on this roster and whether that's offensively or defensively you're just looking to do that. And there were some offensive players in this year's draft in the 1st round that we were considering. It just didn't fall the way we would take them."

It really makes you wonder if they were considering Spiller at 12? Who else that was drafted in the top 11 was someone we would have taken? I don't think they would have gone offensive line, and they weren't going quarterback.............. Spiller is the only one I can think of.


Lol I was thinking the same exact thing... this just makes me think even more that we would've stayed at 12 and taken Spiller if he was there.


Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:28 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Dave, Google [Bot], MiamiSteve, MTMiamiFan, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.