View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 2014 TE prospects 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post 2014 TE prospects
To me, there is a huge need at TE. Miami needs size on offense desperately and as good as Clay was, he's not an inline TE or a big seem threat. The Dolphins need to go attack the position the way they should have years ago.

To me there is a huge gap between the top 2 guys and the next 2...There's then another huge gap between those 2 and the rest. Here is how I would lay them out right now.

Mid-late 1st rd: Jace Amaro, Texas Tech

Late first round: Eric Ebron, UNC

Late 2nd round: Troy Niklas, ND

Late 2-early 3: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, Washington

Late 3rd round: CJ Fiedorowicz, Iowa

Amaro and Ebron are clearly at the top of the class in terms of athletic/receiving ability. Ebron is probably a better "need" fit for Miami because of his blocking and inline experience, compared to Amaro's. That said I like Amaro a little more. He's not quite as explosive as Ebron, but he gives you a bigger target with better hands, and more consistent YAC and redzone production.

Niklas is a sneaky smooth route runner, but isn't as athletically gifted as the first two. He isn't a great blocker but did a lot of it at ND and held his own. Solid player at the next level, but there's really nothing special about his skill set.

ASJ is the best blocker in the group and has the best catch radius and softest hands of the group. That said he's not explosive and I wouldn't take him off the line often to flex him out like I would Amaro/Ebron. He's smooth when he runs routes, but gives you nothing after the catch. Again though, huge catch radius, he doesn't need to be "open" down the middle in order to make plays.

CJ is a really solid blocker, has good hands and plenty of experience playing inline. That said he doesn't provide you much in the way of receiving ability. Solid #2 TE at the next level.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: 2014 TE prospects
My assumption is you think Egnew is as good as gone, Keller won't be back, and Sims is purely depth.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:43 am

jammer wrote:
My assumption is you think Egnew is as good as gone, Keller won't be back, and Sims is purely depth.

Sims is depth, Egnew is extremely replaceable as a #3 TE, and Keller is at best a 1 year bandaid (although probably won't be re-signed).

Miami needs to find a legit TE. It's been too many off seasons that we've settled for mediocrity at an extremely high impact position.

I wouldn't mind using the 19th pick on a TE, at all. I'd honestly be for it.

Right now, my early short list at 19 is:

Kouandjio, Amaro, Ebron, Zack Martin, Derek Carr, and Kony Ealy (although I think his "stock" is way too low right now…top 10 talent easily for me).

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Kouandjio, Amaro, Ebron, Zack Martin, Derek Carr, and Kony Ealy (although I think his "stock" is way too low right now…top 10 talent easily for me).

Won't disagree with that list at all. While I'm a Tannehill supporter I've seen enough of Carr's deep ball to know he'd thrive with Wallace and his fiery leadership would be an asset.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rob Blanchflower is a guy I like for us on day 3.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:54 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Niklas is the type of blocker that we need.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:49 am

swerve13 wrote:
Niklas is the type of blocker that we need.

Good all around player. That said, I'm more worried about getting an elite pass catcher at the position then a good blocker. That's secondary for me….and a long 2nd.

ASF doesn't have a lot of explosiveness, but he can get on top of you. He's a devastating blocker when he wants to be and he has the best catch radius in the draft of any player. I think he's under rated and gets too much flack.

CJ Fiedorowicz is the best blocker at TE in the draft, IMO. Really solid pass catcher too. Only problem is he doesn't have much athletic ability.

For me, I think Amaro and Ebron are way way way ahead of the rest of the pack. Huge difference. I do think Niklas/ASF/CJ will make nice #2 TE's though.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joe Don Duncan? Crockett Gilmore? Like them at all?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:40 am

swerve13 wrote:

I haven't watched any Duncan tape. Can't find any.

Gilmore I've done only a little of. Big guy and catches it cleanly. Has a really long body which is nice. He's kind of awkward though and his hips/feet a little heavy.

I think he's a #2 TE, but could be a solid one. A Dion Sims type prospect.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I haven't watched any Duncan tape. Can't find any.

Gilmore I've done only a little of. Big guy and catches it cleanly. Has a really long body which is nice. He's kind of awkward though and his hips/feet a little heavy.

I think he's a #2 TE, but could be a solid one. A Dion Sims type prospect.

I have my doubts that Miami will pursue a tight end now with Sims on the roster and Clay a breakout playmaker. I think they coulod be satisfied grooming Sims and use our top picks at tackle, guard, D-tackle and running back.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:20 am

Right now if I had to guess on #19, I'm 50% on an OT, 50% on Ebron/Amaro. I think they invest highly in one.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:45 am

Here's my TE board. Anybody not on there gets a UDFA grade as of right now, although there are still some small school guys I need to look at, like Duncan and Flacco.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Amaro looked disappointing at the combine today. Didn't look fast or athletic and didnt show natural hands.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:55 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Amaro looked disappointing at the combine today. Didn't look fast or athletic and didnt show natural hands.

Very disappointing for me. Ebron didn't jump well at the vertical either, and Niklas was the same. All 3 with just 30 inch verts…Niklas didn't even run the 40.

Overall disappointing day. Doesn't do much for me though; everything you need to know is on tape.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Very disappointing for me. Ebron didn't jump well at the vertical either, and Niklas was the same. All 3 with just 30 inch verts…Niklas didn't even run the 40.

Overall disappointing day. Doesn't do much for me though; everything you need to know is on tape.

Joe Don Duncan went bananas on the bench. watch out for that kid.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]