View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Jeff Ireland: Odrick "can play inside and outside" 
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Post Jeff Ireland: Odrick "can play inside and outside"
Ireland in his live presser just said that Odrick can play the nose, or at DE, but that he doesn't want to get into detail...

Odrick at NT??? Did they try and re-create what they stumbled into with Jay Ratliff??

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 pm
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Post Re: Jeff Ireland: Odrick "can play inside and outside"
havent we learned not to beleive ireland

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:25 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

at this point I think we know that Odrick will play along the DL......might jump between DE and NT, we will have to wait and see.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Expert Comments

ESPN SCOUTS INC
What he brings: Odrick is a unique prospect who does not have a great fit anywhere, but he could work out as a 5-technique in the Dolphins' 3-4 front. He has great initial quickness and a relentless motor, and he shows the ability to stick his feet in the ground and regain leverage to anchor against double-teams. While he needs polish as a pass-rusher, he provides depth on the Dolphins? front line.

What he brings: Randy Starks is coming off a very good year but is not getting any younger. Kendall Langford and Phillip Merling are active, physical players and Odrick will fit in well in this mold. The team still needs pass rush help, but if the Dolphins could not get a true nose tackle at this spot improving their depth at the 5-technique will go a long way toward helping out the nose tackle situation.

TSN War Room
Russ Lande's take: Odrick is a perfect fit at defensive end in Miami's 3-4 defense. He is a high-motor player with great quickness and hands. He will be an instant contributor for the Dolphins, and they have to be elated that he was still on the board.

Vinnie Iyer's take: Odrick is a steady, durable player with good intangibles, the kind of late first-round pick you would expect from a Bill Parcells draft. They'll get plenty of hustle from him, and he should be able to hold up as an every-down run stopper.

SI Analysis
The Dolphins are pumped up to see the best 3-4 defensive end in this year's draft still on the board after they traded all the way down to 28 from their original draft postion of 12. Odrick should start at the five-technique position for Miami and fit the Bill Parcells' mold of tough, physical defensive ends who are stellar against the run while being able to provide a steady interior pass rush on obvious passing downs.

Pete Prisco Analysis
The Dolphins needed help on their front line and they landed a good, solid player. He migth not be a star, but in their 3-4 defense he is perfect.

National Football Post
Odrick looks like one of the safest prospects in this year's draft. He's got great value as a five-technique DT in the Dolphins' 3-4 scheme and is a really nice value at the end of round one. He knows how to stack and play off blocks on the edge and can add some pass rush ability on 3rd down as well.

FOX Sports
The main thing is that Bill Parcells wanted to trade out of the top of the draft and he accomplished that by dealing with the Chargers while also picking up the 40th overall pick.

http://www.phinfever.com/newsite/index. ... 11&Itemid=

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
ESPN Insider

OVERALL FOOTBALL TRAITS:

Production
2006: (12/0) 4 tackles.
2007: (9/7) 16 tackles, 4 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 blocked kick.
2008: (13/13) 41 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 3 PBU, 1 FF

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Wide frame, good bulk and above-average top-end speed.

Durability 3
Broke two bones in left hand against Wisconsin only to come back a week later and dislocate his right ankle against Indiana in 2007. Missed the remainder of the 2007 season with the ankle injury.

Intangibles 4
Charged with disorderly conduct in March of 2008 after allegedly getting in a fight with three students.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE SPECIFIC TRAITS:

Strength/Toughness 2
Stout and shows good strength at the point of attack. Extremely competitive and works hard to fight through blocks. However has some problems holding ground against double teams.

Quickness(hands/feet) 3
Anticipates snap count and has the quick first step to beat blockers to the point of attack. However, agility is less than ideal. Struggles to change directions and adequate at best lateral mobility. While has quick hands could improve ability to shed blocks quickly and be more productive with energy expends.

Versus the Run 3
Fires off the ball and strong initial surge. Heavy hands and can stack blockers up in one-on-one battles. However, mechanical at times and needs to do a better job of wading through traffic in pursuit.

Pass Rush Skills 3
Average in this category. Quick first step and flashes the ability to penetrate but lacks ideal closing speed and can be a step late getting to the quarterback as a result. Struggles to counter once engaged.

1 = Exceptional
2 = Above average
3 = Average
4 = Below average
5 = Marginal

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/pl ... red-odrick

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:34 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Randy Starks is coming off a very good year but is not getting any younger.

He's 26.....Lol.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Starks is 26 and is beastly at DE. They must be looking at Langford's side. Strange, I thought our ends were really good.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:46 am
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Again they may move him to the nose. Jay Ratliff part deux?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:50 am
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

You can also use him inside at the NT position on passing downs to provide pass rush pressure up the middle.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Well I hear nothing but good reports about this pick from the 'draft experts'. I didn't like the pick initially because I didn't believe it filled a big need position. I wasn't against the player, just the pick. However, if he is able to contribute from day one and he develops into a defensive stalwart, you can't go wrong with that.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

i think the NT will come round 3. hopefully cam thomas will be there

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think that Ireland is saying the "inside and outside" and "I don't know where he's going to play" stuff just to keep the smokescreen up; they don't want other teams to have a clue whether or not they still want to grab a true NT prospect or DE.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

I'm still kind of on the fence with this kid... all the reports I hear are good, but I can't find an ounce of video where this kid isn't chasing someone from behind or just out of the play completely... actually I can't find any video where he actually makes a play at all!

But hey... this Front Office has done pretty darn well so far with the draft... so I'll take a wait and see approach on this pick.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:27 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

k-dash wrote:
I think that Ireland is saying the "inside and outside" and "I don't know where he's going to play" stuff just to keep the smokescreen up; they don't want other teams to have a clue whether or not they still want to grab a true NT prospect or DE.

Agreed. The draft isn't over, so they still won't show their hand.

Overall, I'm pleased that we could traded down, recoup our 2nd rounder (a high one at that), pick up help for the DL and get a player (in trade) that is a proven NFL special teamer and backup LB.

Let's hope the roll continues tonight.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

They will definitely take a true NT later, I can't see them going by that but Solai was pretty good against the run wasnt he? Or was it the other way around

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

IamPZ wrote:
I'm still kind of on the fence with this kid... all the reports I hear are good, but I can't find an ounce of video where this kid isn't chasing someone from behind or just out of the play completely... actually I can't find any video where he actually makes a play at all!

Apparently the phins couldn't find much tape either, the official miamidolphins.com highlights show all of 2 running plays. It made me laugh.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:25 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

IamPZ wrote:

But hey... this Front Office has done pretty darn well so far with the draft... so I'll take a wait and see approach on this pick.

From CBS Sportslines:
In 2009, he made 43 plays vs. the opponents' ground games, holding those ball carriers to minus-24 yards, as he made eleven stops for loss, took down eight runners at the line of scrimmage for no gain and produced eight third-down tackles to kill scoring drives. He allowed just four carries for first downs vs. the running game.

The unquestioned leader of the Penn State defense, he led a unit that allowed opponents to gain over 100 yards just seven times in his last 26 contests. Against the pass, three of his four quarterback pressures came on third-down snaps, with two causing interceptions. He also captured quarterbacks in the backfield seven times.

As a senior, Odrick recorded 70 tackles, with 10 stops for losses, five sacks and three blocked kicks. He registered 80 tackles, including 18 behind the line of scrimmage, eight sacks and 60 "pancake blocks" as a two-way tackle during his junior season.

Youtube with Senior Bowl Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDNdZ9Wr ... re=related

2nd clip--- look at get into the backfield..almost made a huge play on the RB
3rd clip---- gets right in the face of Tebow-- in the backfield again
5th clip--- gets in the backfield and pressures QB
6th clip--- double team block--- moves off and makes tackle
8th clip-- breaks through double team--gets way into backfield--disrupts rb
9th clip-- backfield again right in the face of QB--hits Tebow

Odrick pushes the OL line-- disrupts plays in the backfield...

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:49 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

3 blocked kicks, very nice.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:59 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think they will take a (nt) later also. It looks to me as if they are going to use a rotation at D-line. Langford and Merling had a solid year,but know they can move guys around more for better match ups. Odrick could play some (nt) on passing downs and rotate with Merling,Langford,and McDaniel at end. As we all know no true (nt) is a threat on passing downs so I like this move. For those of you out there who still want a pass-rushing (olb) there are still alot of them to be had in the later rounds.

Ricky Sapp 6-4 248 4.5 40
Thaddeus Gibbson 6-2 240 4.6 40
George Selvie 6-5 247 4.7 40
Brandon Lang 6-4 260 4.8 40
Cameron Sheffield 6-3 256 4.7 40

Or my all time dream would be Talyor Mays and put him at (olb) 6-3 235 4.4 40 :war:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Look ....if Jabba the Ryan had Odrick on their board, then I'm more than willing to go along with this pick. Because he can play inside and outside, it'll give us an added dimension when using him. Can you imagine the stunts you could run with this man?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There's a couple of things that could be their thinking.
1. He will play nose tackle.
2. He will play end, and Miami is looking to deal one of their current ends for a pick.
3. He will play end, and Stakes will get pushed to OLB.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:13 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Iowafin wrote:
2. He will play end, and Miami is looking to deal one of their current ends for a pick.

1. Yes
2. Doubt it.. Odrick can rotate and provide depth. Merling, Starks, Langford stay as DE
3. No way Starks could play OLB.... also cant see Merling as OLB either... too big/slow

If anyone is odd man out its Tony McDaniel or Soliai

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

gatorfins11 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

1. Yes
2. Doubt it.. Odrick can rotate and provide depth. Merling, Starks, Langford stay as DE
3. No way Starks could play OLB.... also cant see Merling as OLB either... too big/slow

No way no how do Starks/Merling get moved to LB .... and we're not ridding ourselves of Soliai with Ferg on a suspension and us needing somebody with experience.

McDaniel has proven versatile in playing the end and the nose. I think Merling, if anyone is the guy in question here.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You guys and your size issues..

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:33 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rock Sexton wrote:
gatorfins11 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

1. Yes

No way no how do Starks/Merling get moved to LB .... and we're not ridding ourselves of Soliai with Ferg on a suspension and us needing somebody with experience.

McDaniel has proven versatile in playing the end and the nose. I think Merling, if anyone is the guy in question here.

Soliai or McDaniels would be the odd man out... they are not starters on this D-Line.

Randy Starks plays NT or DE
Odrick will play NT and some DE
Langford and Merling stay as DE

To me--- McDaniels is good as gone...

Odrick is better than McDaniels---- and can play NT and DE
S

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

gatorfins11 wrote:

Soliai or McDaniels would be the odd man out... they are not starters on this D-Line.

S

Gonna disagree severely here. Why would you jettison a player like McDaniel who is consistent and plays 2 positions, but keep a guy like Merling who can only play DE and a player the FO has been pleading with to get some more consistency out of? Not to mention you also want to bounce a player like Soliai who is our ONLY experienced NT, with Ferg being suspended 8 games.

Sorry man. The Soliai thing will not happen. NT is one of the hardest positions to learn/play at the pro-level. We need experience.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:49 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rock Sexton wrote:
gatorfins11 wrote:

S

Gonna disagree severely here. Why would you jettison a player like McDaniel who is consistent and plays 2 positions, but keep a guy like Merling who can only play DE and a player the FO has been pleading with to get some more consistency out of? Not to mention you also want to bounce a player like Soliai who is our ONLY experienced NT, with Ferg being suspended 8 games.

Sorry man. The Soliai thing will not happen. NT is one of the hardest positions to learn/play at the pro-level. We need experience.

Im saying McDaniel will likely be the odd man out... ( Soliai maybe.. but probably stays as the 3rd DT/NT)

Im saying that Odrick will beat out McDaniel...
Odrick will play as the NT....(will beat out Soliai and McDaniels)---Starks moves to DE
McDaniel is average ( undrafted--- Dolphins got him for 7th round)---reserve player
Phillip Merling is better than McDaniel...

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]