View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Andy Cohen: Moving Day...Dolphins Accomplish A Lot 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Andy Cohen: Moving Day...Dolphins Accomplish A Lot
Quote:

The bottom line at this precise moment on the Brandon Marshall trade/steal is that the Dolphins gave up next year’s No. 2 pick for one of the top five receivers in the league. And who knows what plan the Dolphins will devise to get back next year’s No. 2 pick? But that’s for another time, another draft. This day was about maximizing your options and selecting a player you are totally comfortable with.

As I look back at what the Dolphins did with what became the No. 28 pick of the first round, it really did make perfect sense. They selected a player that fits nicely into the niche they are looking for. Big. Strong. Fast. Smart. Diverse. And with a big-time pedigree that shouts, “I’m not going to let you down.”

You aren’t chosen the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year by some fluke. Odrick has the tools to play anywhere on the defensive line. Nose tackle. Defensive tackle. Defensive end. He is one of those guys that instead of penciling into one spot, you simply write: “Football Player.”

No, I’m not going to tell you that Odrick was first on the team’s draft board nor am I going to tell you that they knew all along he was going to be their pick. Certainly, there were some tense moments in the Dolphins draft room. But what I am going to tell you is that Odrick’s performance at the Senior Bowl gave them a comfort zone that allowed them to make that trade with San Diego because they knew, in all probability, he would still be on the board on the 28th pick.

How do I see Odrick fitting into this defense? Many ways. He will compete with Paul Solai to help fill the gap at nose tackle while Jason Ferguson is serving an 8-game suspension. He will play some defensive end in the 3-4 defense and some defensive end when the Dolphins switch to a 4-3 in some passing situations. He will push young players like Phillip Merling and Kendall Langford. He will play and he will play a lot.

What the Dolphins do from here is anyone’s guess as of this writing. But I can tell you that having the 40th overall pick, now gives them ammunition to accomplish much more. This is a draft that is about 50 players deep at its highest tier and you can almost make a case that you can throw a blanket over all 50, reverse the order and have the same chances for success.

This is why what the Dolphins did is now so easy to understand.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/andy- ... mplish-lot

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:24 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Andy Cohen: Moving Day...Dolphins Accomplish A Lot
I think most fans agreed with the idea of trading down to get a 2nd round pick, while still retaining a first round selection whith the thought that a good player would be there late in the first round.

I do not think Odrick was the player that most had in mind, but I can see how he can fit into the Dolphins system.

I don't understand why its being said that the Dolphins "got their 2nd round pick back." They did not get the pick back, they made a trade down to get an additional 2nd round pick. They still lost their original second rounder to Denver and did not get it back. Its like saying you paid $10 for gas, then went to work and got paid $10 for and hour and a half of work thereby getting your gas money back. No you worked and got 10 more dollars, you still paid for the gas right!

I do hope that the Fins start addressing the areas of need through the rest of the draft(OLB, FS, NT?).....if nothing esle there are still a good number of players available for the Fins to pick through in rounds 2 and 3. I hope they keep their picks and get some good talent today.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:25 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Andy Cohen: Moving Day...Dolphins Accomplish A Lot
keebler_kahn wrote:
Its like saying you paid $10 for gas, then went to work and got paid $10 for and hour and a half of work thereby getting your gas money back. No you worked and got 10 more dollars,

and got ripped off.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]