View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 re-signing free agent FS Chris Clemons "isn't a priority" 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post re-signing free agent FS Chris Clemons "isn't a priority"
Quote:
ESPN Dolphins blogger James Walker reports that re-signing free agent FS Chris Clemons "isn't a priority."
Clemons started all 16 games last season, finishing with 93 tackles and an interception. The Dolphins are looking to upgrade at safety opposite Reshad Jones, so Clemons will be allowed to test the open market. Clemons figures to be limited to one-year deals in free agency. He turns 29 this offseason.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:54 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: re-signing free agent FS Chris Clemons "isn't a priority"
Can't say I am totally surprised. Chris is solid, but he does not have ball skills at all.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:59 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

At 29...he's peaked and fell.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He's always been just a guy.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

While it would be nice to find an upgrade in free agency or the draft, I just don't see us doing it this season because of the needs on the offensive line. I think we'll try to re-sign Clemons to a one year deal. I'll be surprised if we don't.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:33 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

My gut tells me that Jimmy Wilson will be our starting FS next year.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Miami has a couple of what I call serviceable starters and Clemons is one and Koa Misi is another.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Miami has a couple of what I call serviceable starters and Clemons is one and Koa Misi is another.

It still floors me that Miami passed on studs like Earl Thomas, Dez Bryant for that trade down.

Miami could have walked out of the 2010 draft with one of these Bryant, both Thomas's, Pouncey @ No. 1 & Marshall for that 2nd Rd. pick. Instead they ended up with Odrick who has been quality, but not anything close to them. Misi has been serviceable, but the production one could find lower in the draft.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Thomas is the guy I wanted that year. Thought he'd be better than Eric Berry.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

It still floors me that Miami passed on studs like Earl Thomas, Dez Bryant for that trade down.

Miami could have walked out of the 2010 draft with one of these Bryant, both Thomas's, Pouncey @ No. 1 & Marshall for that 2nd Rd. pick. Instead they ended up with Odrick who has been quality, but not anything close to them. Misi has been serviceable, but the production one could find lower in the draft.

None of those guys knows how to dance like Odrick............

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm hoping Craig Loston from LSU slips to the 4th round. If he's there, he's a great choice for Miami. I think Miami could draft someone like him to develop behind Clemons, who we could sign to a short term deal.

Quote:
Strengths
Very well-distributed weight -- packs it well. Good eyes and anticipation. Is aggressive playing the ball in front of him in zone coverage and buzzes quickly to the flat. Good route recognition. Can carry receivers deep and match up with tight ends in man coverage. Steps downhill and can secure open-field tackles. Is tough, sacrifices his body and will deliver some jarring hits. Helps line up the defense and make adjustments. Is noticeably the vocal leader of the secondary (very animated communicator). Versatile with good interchangeability. Gunner and jammer on special teams. Has NFL pedigree. Smart, hardworking and accountable. Very good football intelligence.

Weaknesses
Has short arms. Shows some hip tightness that restricts transitional quickness. Tends to rise in his pedal. Gives up separation in man coverage vs. receivers. Will seek the kill shot and can be overaggressive running the alley supporting the run. Can do a better job of driving through contact (not lunging and leaving his feet). Has a spotted injury history and has regularly missed time most years (though he is quick to rehabilitate).

NFL.com

Quote:
STRENGTHS:
Loston is in many ways a similar prospect as 2013 first-round draft pick and former LSU safety, Eric Reid. While perhaps not quite as athletic as Reid, Loston possesses a similar well-built frame, good instincts for the position and is a fearless hitter. Loston attacks downhill, showing rare acceleration and explosion as an open-field hitter.

WEAKNESSES:
Loston's aggression gets the better of him, at times, as he'll duck his head into tackles (which could draw flags or lead to injury) and sometimes fails to break down adequately, relying on hitting rather than tackling to knock ball-carriers to the ground.

CBSSports.com

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
GM Dennis Hickey is "optimistic" the Dolphins will re-sign free agent Brent Grimes.
Hickey's comments come three days after Grimes said he was "pretty optimistic" he'd be back. The Miami Herald reported earlier this week that talks were going in circles, but where there's a will, there's usually a way. The market's top corner has an excellent shot at staying in Miami.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:15 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
He's always been just a guy.

Because he doesn't get picks, but he's usually in good position and provides good coverage.

He's upgradeable, but let's not diminish the value of having a player that maintains his assignment, especially when it comes to the last line of defense.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:44 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
Can't say I am totally surprised. Chris is solid, but he does not have ball skills at all.

Yep. While you always like to keep your own players that you've developed after drafting them, you can't keep them all. Soliai is a good fit and has a much higher priority. Clemons played well for us, but I think he's the kind of player that you replace with another player on the team or address in the draft.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]