View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Pouncey's relationship with Aaron Hernandez at Florida 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Pouncey's relationship with Aaron Hernandez at Florida
This article shows us their relationship and that Urban Meyer leaned on the Pouncey brothers to keep Hernandez in line.

Albert Breer wrote:
NFL teams have looked at how Hernandez got from Point A to Point B as they attempt to refine how they review and reject prospects based on off-field problems. It's a challenge, to be sure.

Hernandez won a national championship and earned All-America honors at Florida.
Hernandez won a national championship and earned All-America honors at Florida. (Phil Sandlin/Associated Press)

Meyer and his coaches privately told some clubs that, to be managed, it was crucial that Hernandez be surrounded by the right people. At Florida, the staff did its best to dissuade him from going home over breaks in the school calendar because of the element waiting in Connecticut, and even got nervous on game weekends, when that crowd typically would migrate south to Gainesville and roll with Hernandez.

The Gator coaches aligned Hernandez with Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, whom Hernandez roomed with off campus. The three grew close, and the staff generally considered the Pounceys a positive influence. (Since then, Mike has been named in Ted Wells' report as one of the players who contributed to the harassment of Dolphins teammate Jonathan Martin.) Meyer also had Tim Tebow rooming with Hernandez for road games, in the hopes that being around the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner would show the standout tight end the right way to do things.

"The year before he came out, I was at their pro day, and I remember seeing the Pounceys, and then him," said a second AFC college director, whose club had Hernandez on the board, but not draftable where he went (No. 113 overall, in the fourth round). "It was very clear that (the Pounceys) were the leaders, that they were the influential guys, and he was behind them, a tagalong, a follower in that sense. He was always following them. And they were trying to bring him along."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -back-then

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Pouncey's relationship with Aaron Hernandez at Florida
So much drama this off season, so little talk of actual football. That wasn't anything close to a shot at you though Dave, I just can't wait for football to start up again since it always ends early in December for this community.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:06 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
So much drama this off season, so little talk of actual football. That wasn't anything close to a shot at you though Dave, I just can't wait for football to start up again since it always ends early in December for this community.

LOL , The Harbaugh watch might be on before Thanksgiving.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:32 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Oh, no, you are totally correct AFC. ABC could start a Miami Dolphins soap opera right after General Hospital with all the we have had to put up with.

I'm ready for some real ...
:bullet

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Did you guys hear Hernandez got into a fight?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:57 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

He is in prison, thats what happens there. Didnt you watch OZ?

:haha

I am not sure if this is supposed to be positive or negative... With all the negativity I just assume because Pouncey and Hernandez were friends in college, that means Pouncey is basically a murderer too...

But then again, it shows that Pouncey was considered a positive influence by the people at UF and they felt that he and his brother were good people to guide troubled guys.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:06 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Who knows anymore, knowing our luck, Pouncey will be arrested.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:09 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
Who knows anymore, knowing our luck, Pouncey will be arrested.

Not until after all the FA's have been scooped up, and the draft is over... lol

I dont think Pouncey is as bad as he is being projected in the press, hes young, he transitioned from top college prospect to top NFL player, the world is his oyster. He likes to let loose, have a little fun. Smart enough to not get caught. It took a guy he considered a friend having a mental breakdown and ratting out the team to bring this stuff up.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:33 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

10acjed wrote:
I dont think Pouncey is as bad as he is being projected in the press, hes young, he transitioned from top college prospect to top NFL player, the world is his oyster. He likes to let loose, have a little fun. Smart enough to not get caught. It took a guy he considered a friend having a mental breakdown and ratting out the team to bring this stuff up.

I am very hopeful that he can turn things around this year. Unfortunately, as the Bible says, 'Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."' I think we've seen the fruit of that.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
Did you guys hear Hernandez got into a fight?

TMZ reported, and they actually are right a lot of the time.

TMZ wrote:
Aaron Hernandez Attacks Inmate At Bristol County Jail

Aaron Hernandez ATTACKED another inmate at Bristol County Jail earlier today ... and we're told he beat the guy up pretty good ... sources tell TMZ Sports.

Sources tell us the former New England Patriots tight end -- who is usually segregated from the general population -- was allowed to take a walk in an isolated hallway ... but somehow came into contact with another inmate.

We're told Hernandez recognized the other inmate and launched into an attack -- beating the other man up pretty badly.

Sources tell us ... Hernandez and the other man had been beefing all day long. One source says the other guy had been harassing Aaron nonstop. Clearly, Hernandez was pissed.

The 24-year-old has been locked up since June 26th -- he's facing murder charges stemming from the 2013 shooting death of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd.

Officials had placed Hernandez in solitary confinement out of concern he would be a target behind bars due to his celebrity status.

We reached out to the jail for comment -- so far, no word back.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/25/aaron-her ... ks-inmate/

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:

I am very hopeful that he can turn things around this year. Unfortunately, as the Bible says, 'Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."' I think we've seen the fruit of that.

Maybe I am missing parts of his history, or just blindly biased. He is one of the best centers in the NFL, and has not had so much as a parking ticket...

Myer and the coaches at UM put Hernandez with him. He hung around his fellow lineman here, not really his choice, just how it works. He was questioned about the Hernandez deal, but from what I read it was due to his relationship to him. Pouncey would not talk with police without a lawyer, the lawyer made them subpoena him. Thats as far as it went.. I dont blame him there, Ive never been wanted in questioning for a murder case, but if I was I would surely call a lawyer and do what he says.

As far as I see it, he is allegedly a dope smoker and likes to break b@11s with his teammates.. Although that is hearsay based on text messages, he has not failed a drug test that I am aware of. He has not been arrested. And 52 other players felt that Martin was full of S...

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
As far as I see it, he is allegedly a dope smoker

CUT HIM RIGHT NOW

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
10acjed wrote:

CUT HIM RIGHT NOW

LOL

Im just happy that in a couple more years we will stop hearing about the evil pot... Get a Dr for it just like the pain meds, muscle relaxers and anti depressants and move on...

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
10acjed wrote:

CUT HIM RIGHT NOW

LOL

Im just happy that in a couple more years we will stop hearing about the evil pot... Get a Dr for it just like the pain meds, muscle relaxers and anti depressants and move on...

I'm already ahead of the curve.

:grin:

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins "fully intend" to pick up C Mike Pouncey's fifth-year option.
Pouncey is technically entering the final year of his rookie contract, but Miami can gain a fifth year of team control by exercising the option. That's unlikely to be a popular move with Pouncey, who is surely eyeing a long-term extension. His negative depiction in the Ted Wells Report has eroded his leverage, however. It's worth noting that GM Dennis Hickey vouched for Pouncey in a Thursday radio interview.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:11 am

I wonder how far a vouch from a volunteer , interim GM really goes.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]