View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Koa Misi Sr. Bowl breakdown 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Koa Misi Sr. Bowl breakdown
Aright. Koa was also on the north team for the Senior bowl....He lead the team in tackles with 6 and also registered a tackle for loss and a strip sack. Here is the play breakdown. (Sorry if I miss a play here and there, I am skipping thru to each play and sometimes I might miss 1 or 2 of his snaps as he is switching in and out).

In bold are the plays where he was at DE. All the others he was at OLB in their base 43 D.

Play 1: (Sam 43 OLB) - Does a GREAT job of being smooth with his movement and sheds the block of an O-lineman, and is in on the stop of a WildCat run play.
2: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, ball thrown somewhere else.
3: (Sam 43 OLB) - Blows right by an OG into the backfield to force Stafon Johnson to the outside where a swarm is waiting for him. Man does he have burst! He EXPLODED through the hole, and probably should have drawn a penalty
4: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, the QB roles to the right, he does a great job of being patient and explodes to Brown once he realizes he is going to scramble...forces a no gainer from Brown who headed for the sideline.
5: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, ball thrown somewhere else.

6: (Sam 43 OLB) - Gets off of block of TE Peek fairly easily using tremendous quickness. (Bad snap his team recovers fumble and scores TD).

7: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, ball thrown somewhere else.
8: (Sam 43 OLB) - OUTSTANDING play by Misi. QB draw, Misi blocked by a TE, holds his ground while keeping his eyes into the backfield, locates the QB, abuses and gets rid of the TE, and makes the tackle on the QB. Great play. He plays a lot bigger than he looks.
**(At this point Mike Mayock is raving about Misi and Odrick's week of practice).
9: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, ball thrown somewhere else.
10: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, ball thrown somewhere else.

11: (Sam 43 OLB) - Draw play to McCluster, he goes to the opposite side of the field. Not much on this play. Seemed to diagnose it well though.
12: (Sam 43 OLB) - Throw into the flat, not his zone but he got there real quickly and had it been caught, would have made the play.
13: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, ball thrown somewhere else.
14: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, Graham strip sack, Misi comes in to try and recover the fumble and in the process THROWS DOWN, and I mean with authority, the RT for the South team. Once again, playing a lot bigger than he looks.

15: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, ball thrown somewhere else.
16: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, ball thrown somewhere else.
17: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, 1v1 coverage with Ben Tate who was the QB's first read as you can clearly see. He completely takes Tate away and was going to the house with a pick 6 if the QB had thrown it. Forces a coverage sack.

18: (Right/weak side DE) - Misi gets completely unblocked, gets to Tebow right away and forces the fumble. Wish I could have seen him actually face a block, but it's good to see him go for the ball and not just the sack.

19: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops into coverage in the flat. Tebow goes to throw that way but ball gets stripped. If he had thrown it, it was a pick 6 for Misi who was in great position.
20: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops into the flat, throw goes to TE, complete, but Misi forces him OB right away for minimal gain.
21: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops into coverage, Tebow runs with it, Misi makes the tackles 1v1 against Tebow. Very impressive. Once again, playing stronger and bigger than he looks.

22: (Right/weak side DE) - Very quick pass out to the flat. Tried a bull rush but got doubled teamed. Not much to report. Seemed to use good leverage and was moving the RT back towards the QB, but it was a very quick out pattern thrown.
23: (Right/weak side DE) - Nice spin move to get off the block. If it had not been a draw play, Misi probably would have gotten to him.
24: (Right/weak side DE) - WOW. Gets doubled and splits it using tremendous burst and quickness. Got to Robinson just to late as it was another very quick throw. Great play by Misi though.

25: (Sam 43 OLB) - Screen pass that he got blocked by 2 people on, but had great hustle to get back and make the tackle from behind.
26: (Sam 43 OLB) - Drops back into coverage, ball thrown somewhere else.

27:

That's it. Overall, I would have liked to have seen more out of the DE position, but out of what I did see he looked pretty promising as a weak side pass rusher. I think standing up he could be a Clay Mathews type of rusher. As far as in coverage and defending the run, I thought he was outstanding displaying great burst to the football, quickness, awareness, and surprisingly good strength.

The guy plays a lot bigger than he looks though, (and he does look small), so that's probably the thing that stood out to me the most. He shedded blocks pretty easily as a LB but that was in a lot of space where he could use his quickness and agility. I'm curious to see how he plays and handles blocks in a 34 OLB position.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Koa Misi Sr. Bowl breakdown
nice job..

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:01 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins, you are just a glutin for punishement......... :ann0y:

Nice job.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks.

One thing that I noticed is that he's extremely creative. In everything he does, he is always doing something different with it. That's not usual of a college level pass rusher.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]