View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 Darrelle Revis signs with New England 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Darrelle Revis signs with New England
This from Adam Schefter.

CB Darrelle Revis and the New England Patriots have reached agreement on a one-year, $12 million deal, league sources told ESPN.
Retweeted by Omar Kelly

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:31 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: Darrelle Revis signs with New England
Cuss Words!

We should've given him that & more

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:32 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Wow. Well, I watched D. Jackson torch him last year in Ray Jay, so hopefully Wallace can do the same.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:35 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Reading this on facebook from a Pats fan; Next year the Pats will have the option to franchise him for less money. So the deal could essentially become 2 years for $18M

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The franchise tag for Grimes this year would have been $11.3M.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:17 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He was saying the radio guys up there were discussing Revis' contract details & they didn't believe it had a clause in it. & that the franchise tag would be 6

In any case, take it with a grain of salt because its very early & we'll find out the specifics in time.

Point is, this sucks. & when they sign Steve Smith then he & Brady will have their way with the Phins instead of potentially the other way around. Do I sound irritated? haha

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Of course Revis signed with the Patriots. Figures. Just like Denver signing 3 Pro Bowl starting players yet if I am not mistaken far less money to spend than the fins.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

That's a good point............I'm down here in Charlotte and all the news has been about Steve Smith being cut. New England would make a lot of sense.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Heck Miami could use Steve Smith as a weapon too! Why not, get him for a good deal and let him reek havoc on the AFC East vs us having to face him.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Smith is incredibly competitive and desperately wants a ring. Look for him to go at a discount to a top tier team. New England's a good fit, but if I had to guess, I'd say New Orleans. I think he wants to show Carolina they made a mistake.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

shularino wrote:
Smith is incredibly competitive and desperately wants a ring. Look for him to go at a discount to a top tier team. New England's a good fit, but if I had to guess, I'd say New Orleans. I think he wants to show Carolina they made a mistake.

I have read that he prefers Baltimore. That said, I could see him staying in division and going to Tampa Bay. He would LOVE a chance to stick it to the Panthers twice a year.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think you're right about him wanting to stay in the Division, but I would give nods to New Orleans or Atlanta over Tampa. New England has some merit, but I'm not sure he would be able to quickly pick up their system.........maybe a little like Ocho going up there.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ok Miami its time to counter!!! Send two 1st round picks and Charles Clay to New Orleans for Jimmy Graham!!!

Settle down, I'm just kidding.......ok, I'm not kidding.

The signing alone doesn't make me nervous. If Wilfork and Mayo get back to old form, and Chandler Jones becomes a consistent pass rusher then I'm starting to worry.

Better hope Miami improves that ground game.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:24 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

phinsfansc wrote:
shularino wrote:

I have read that he prefers Baltimore. That said, I could see him staying in division and going to Tampa Bay. He would LOVE a chance to stick it to the Panthers twice a year.

I liked and cheered for Smith a lot. Hes a good ball player all around. & when he told Talib to "Ice up, son. Ice up!" that sealed the deal for me. He's awesome & deserves his last few years to be awesome.

I just cannot understand why the Panthers FO are turning their back on him! Hes been the man there for the last decade. What could they gain by kicking him out the door?

I think I would fear him more in NO than NE

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:34 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

shularino wrote:
........maybe a little like Ocho going up there.

Didn't the two of them play on the same college team? Thats wild to think about haha Wonder what their college Qb's story is. . .

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:37 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Cant wait for Tannehill / Wallace to just school him.
They need much more help on Defense.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:21 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

The issue in NE is not Revis, it is still the same as it has been for years. We need to stop Brady.

They were primed for the overtaking last year. Read about it all the way into Sept, injuries, letting talent go, yada yada. They went 12-4 and were playing in the Conf champ game..

Stop Brady and the rest will come.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:44 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Finhead34 wrote:
Heck Miami could use Steve Smith as a weapon too! Why not, get him for a good deal and let him reek havoc on the AFC East vs us having to face him.

i don't see that going down.. after the stress last season and all the reports that smith is being cut for problems not related to his play.. i would bet the front office avoids that.... shame I'd love a weapon like that..

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:54 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Relax people... building through Free Agency is not the answer.

yeah it blows that New England got Revis... but he's not superman. He's not even the best corner in the league anymore.

Just breathe.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:11 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:
He's not even the best corner in the league anymore.

Don't be so sure. He was pretty good last season despite coming off the ACL tear. Now he is going to be two seasons removed from it.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Any time the Pats sign a good player, it's a bad thing. But I have to wonder who Tommy is going to throw to? Edelman very well may be leaving them with last year's rookies and a glass Gronk. They'll still win the division by virtue of the mediocrity of all of the rest of the teams, but unless they pull a few more rabbits out of their hat (which is so likely as to be expected) their current team is not championship material.

So now it's not really a question of IF they will find those rabbits, but when, because that's what they do. When we reach into the hat, we typically pull out a big, expensive example of mediocrity. Still, I'm hopeful a new GM can change that. Hopeful, but not really expectant.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:59 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

k-dash wrote:
So now it's not really a question of IF they will find those rabbits, but when, because that's what they do. When we reach into the hat, we typically pull out a big, expensive example of mediocrity.

That's good!

:haha

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:15 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Nothing to worry about here...

Wallace on Revis is a win for Wallace.... the "best coverage CB in history" still can not match Wallace's top end speed. If Tannehill can hit Wallace over the top. this is a complete non factor.

Maybe Bellicheat will be smart putting Revis on Hartline....... and Wallace will match up against a Rutgers Alum..... yea

Either way. Bring in a tall CB that can play physical with Wallace and u shut him down due to leverage and the bump. Bringing in a 5'11 "shut down" coverage corner doesnt solve the issue....

Wallace vs Talib > Wallace vs Revis

Wouldn't hold true against other "Number 1's" but you play to win your division first, that is within your control...... this move SCREAMS of trying to buy a championship to compete with Denver, dont forget about your own division. Miami split this year with the patsies.... and the Bills arent far behind.... if the Jets get a QB, this could become a competitive division

losing ground here IMO

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:51 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

begin the downfall!!! :)

Quote:
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Patriots DT Vince Wilfork has requested his release.
Due $7.5 million, the Pats had approached Wilfork about restructuring his contract. He clearly didn't like what they were selling, and would rather take his wares to the open market. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Wilfork isn't open to any sort of restructuring. Cutting Wilfork would clear $8 million in cap space, but leave behind $3.6 million in dead money. Wilfork appeared in just four games last season before tearing his Achilles' tendon. Going on 33, Wilfork has spent his entire 10-year career with the Patriots.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:51 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Revis and Talib were similar. You weren't throwing much on either guy. So New England made a lateral move in my opinion. Didn't NE match up Talib on Hartline the last time Miami Played them? RT to Wallace is pretty much a self-check at this point. No need to put a shutdown corner on a pair that have't burned anyone as of yet.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The big question is IF Tannehill can get his timing down, I believe Wallace can certainly burn Revis.

Revis has great anticipation on the ball, no doubt, but he can also be beat if the right calls and throws are executed.

Miami still needs a dominant running back and get the running game going or else guys like Revis will eat us alive.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Remember Ted Ginn burning Revis twice on Monday Night?

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
Reading this on facebook from a Pats fan; Next year the Pats will have the option to franchise him for less money. So the deal could essentially become 2 years for $18M

You never have the option to franchise a guy for less money. Franchise tag salary is defined as average of the top 5 at the position or 120% of previous years salary, whichever is greater. So if it is $11m this year, it will be $13.2m to franchise him next year.

That's just a stupid Pats fan blurting out crap.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:30 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

degs wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

You never have the option to franchise a guy for less money. Franchise tag salary is defined as average of the top 5 at the position or 120% of previous years salary, whichever is greater. So if it is $11m this year, it will be $13.2m to franchise him next year.

That's just a stupid Pats fan blurting out crap.

Preciate the clarification Degs

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:26 pm

NE is just running ragged. They know there time is up & there is a new king on the hill in the afc east. Tannehill is the best QB in the division. Yeah I know I made this post this same time last year but this time it true!!

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]