View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 John Jerry- OG/OT- 3rd round pick 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Re: John Jerry- OG/OT- 3rd round pick
Bob, your not the first and won't be the last.....LOL

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:55 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:
gatorfins11 wrote:
Guard was a big need for the Dolphins--- Smiley is gone... so left Fins with just Thomas and Incognito.....

They have 6 guards on the roster, including Justin Smiley. I don't know where you got that Smiley was gone.

Smiley is on the trading block. He wasn't even allowed to attend offseason activity. Donald Thomas lost the confidence of the coaching staff last year. And Incognito has a 1 year deal and if he turns out to be a nutcase you need to be ready.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I thought I heard a lot of talk around the forums that Guard was a need in this draft?

Kind of surprised that people are upset with the pick... although I do get the points of Iowa and such that he could have been had later... but you just never know.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:09 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The picks the Fins have made so far have definitely not been sexy, but they are getting some solid football players.......I was not thinking OL in the 3rd round, but they actually coached this guy at the Senior Bowl and had a chance to see what he was all about.......if they felt he was bpa then so be it.......he did at least carry a 3rd round grade to him so it was not a reach.

More than likely he will have a chance to compete for a starting job at OG.......so picks 1-3 could be starters for the Fins this upcoming season.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:12 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: John Jerry OG- 3rd round pick
Iowafin wrote:
Phin wrote:
I nominate Iowa for the Whine and Cheese award this month.

I have yet to whine. I haven't said they suck, the player sucks, we suck they all suck. I've questioned the picks.

i dont suck :ann0y:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:06 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

GARNER played 3 OL positions for us last season, and did well at all 3. But he's our back-up RT first. THOMAS may just have "hit the wall" at the end of last season, when he looked strictly mediocre. (He was, after all, a glorified Rookie) I hope so, and I hope he returns to form. SMILEY's our best G when healthy, but he ALWAYS seems to get injured. INCOGNITO's an excellent talent, IF he can control his temper: if not, he's useless. BERGER played VERY well as our back-up C, and can play G, but I'd like C to be his main role. JERRY looks like a PARCELLS OLman. And I saw his ability to "trap" and "pull". He's very good at it, and also pass-protects well. At his size, that's AMAZING. I like this pick A LOT.

Our 2d Round pick was known to A LOT of intelligent football people, including PIS, so we'll see: I wouldn't call that a "reach" at all.

What MIAMI did in Round 1 was brilliant. The trade down GAVE MIAMI it's 2d Round Pick, and MIAMI still got a QUALITY--(i/m/o)--NT/DE, w/all the "tools", and who could add 10-20 lbs easily. As a "fringe benefit", MIAMI got DOBBINS for a 6th. I know a little about him from visiting my cousins in SD. He is a terror on S/Ts, but BEYOND THAT, he's more talented than AYODELE ever DREAMED of being, and i/m/o is close to/equal to/a little better than CROWDER. At the very least, he's quality depth (emphasis on quality).

I like what MIAMI has achieved to date: don't forget, we also got MARSHALL. And as to NT, don't panic: PARCELLS has found EXCELLENT NTs very late in the Draft more than once. Hell's bells, FERGUSON's ONE OF THEM!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
That was completely unnecessary. How was it asinine. Smiley is not gone. When he is, I'll know, but as of right now he's on the roster. If you want to believe everything that journalists write about and what Jeff Ireland says, go right ahead. I go based off what I know. Smiley is a Dolphin until further notice.
"Claims"...give me a break.

Journalists aside... this team didn't invite him to offseason conditioning. They signed Richie Incognito. They drafted John Jerry in the third. What more do you need to quantify that Smiley is pretty much gone? Sounds pretty simple to me.

And even if he does stay, nothing wrong with depth along the offensive line. Nothing at all.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Yes....Hartline was a nice pick. However, Patrick Turner and Pat White were awful picks. I know you can't hit on them all, but man.....Pat White.....what a stupid pick....and a luxury pick to boot.

I didnt say you will hit on all. My point is that people shouldnt get worked up over drafting another guard (when we have an abundance) until they see how he works out. And there are still NTs, WRs, TEs, LBs and S's still available. Miami has 6 picks and I wouldnt be shocked if they move a player for another pick or two today.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:04 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Yes....Hartline was a nice pick. However, Patrick Turner and Pat White were awful picks. I know you can't hit on them all, but man.....Pat White.....what a stupid pick....and a luxury pick to boot.

I didnt say you will hit on all. My point is that people shouldnt get worked up over drafting another guard (when we have an abundance) until they see how he works out. And there are still NTs, WRs, TEs, LBs and S's still available. Miami has 6 picks and I wouldnt be shocked if they move a player for another pick or two today.

We DO NOT have an "abundance" of guards. We have Jerry, Icognito, Thomas, Smiley and two scrubs ..... Smiley will be gone soon and those two scrubs aren't even worth talking about.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I like this pick. You can never have enough OLinemen. You need a good line to have a good team. And he fits with the style the trifecta likes. I also don't want to see us totally ignore the offense and use the first 6 picks on D as many seem to think we should be doing.

So far in this draft they are 2 and 2 with me.
I thought the could have done better with the trade and Odrick was a bit of a head scratcher to me. But otherwise they're helping the team a lot.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
• Mississippi guard John Jerry: Pro Football Weekly said ``he can knock defenders off the ball,'' but his ``ability to mash defenders in the run game could be offset by mental mistakes and blown assignments in pass protection.'' The Dolphins want him at left guard (where Nate Garner should provide competition), with Richie Incognito starting at right guard. Left guard Justin Smiley's situation remains unresolved; the Dolphins have been unable to trade him.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/24/1 ... z0m4Cq15ty

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2