All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 

Which one of these 5 players should Miami pick?
Zack Martin, OT, ND 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
CJ Mosley, LB, Alabama 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Morgan Moses, OT, UVA 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 19
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:43 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Rising: Zack Martin, OT, ND

Despite Miami filling some holes along the offensive line, Zack Martin is still a fairly popular pick in many mock drafts for the Dolphins, as you can see in this mock draft tracker from SI.com, as well as this mock draft from Dane Brugler of CBSSports.com.

The fact that Martin can play both guard and tackle is one reason for that, as Miami would value his versatility.

He could start at right tackle from Day 1 if drafted by the Dolphins, and eventually succeed Branden Albert at left tackle.

Those are good reasons to select Martin, which is why you see him going to Miami in many mock drafts.

My question: Do the Dolphins need to draft Martin when there will be plenty of right tackles available in the second and third rounds, considering they still have needs at other positions.

Quote:
Falling: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

A lot of mock drafts don't have Michigan's Taylor Lewan lasting until the Dolphins pick at 19, and that's a good thing.

Lewan has NFL talent and would make a great right or left tackle for some team, however he's not the type of character the Dolphins need to have on their offensive line right now.

Per David Jesse of The Detroit Free-Press, Lewan is facing assault charges stemming from a fight outside of a Columbus, Ohio bar on Dec. 1 of last year.

Could this be chalked up to immaturity? Definitely, but it's a risk the Dolphins likely won't want to take this season.

Despite where he's projected to go in most mock drafts, expect Lewan to continue to drop even past the Dolphins in this April's draft.

Quote:
Rising: CJ Mosley, LB, Alabama

The Dolphins need a linebacker in a bad way.

Currently the Dolphins have three linebackers that can play on the outside, but no true inside linebacker that can be the quarterback of the defense.

Alabama's C.J. Mosley would fit that role for Miami from the start of training camp. With Miami's defensive line creating holes for Mosley, he'd be an effective force against the run and versatile against the pass either as a pass-rusher or in coverage.

Mosley also provides a linebacker that already has plenty of experience in a pro-style 4-3 defense, which is a major bonus on top of his talent.

He's worth a first-round pick for Miami, and would be my choice at 19.

Quote:
Falling: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU

I knew I wanted to say something about Kelvin Benjamin going to the Dolphins.

No one is mocking him there, but as of a month ago I was intrigued by the possibility of Benjamin on the Dolphins. He seemed like the perfect red zone threat for the Dolphins offense, and I do think the Dolphins are in need of that type of receiver to complement Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson.

With that said, I've cooled on him in the last month, so really the stock is falling with me.

Here's why: As big as he is and as great as his hands may be, I don't like his speed.

For a wide receiver he comes off as being a bit slow, meaning he'd have to rely on how precise he can run his routes.

Unfortunately, I don't see that precision in his route running, if he had that, I'd be totally sold on him.

The Dolphins likely wouldn't have taken him in Round 1 anyway, but I don't see Benjamin as a first-round pick at this point. Expect him to go in Round 2.

If he is available when the Dolphins are on the clock in the second round, then I'd consider the pick.

Quote:
Rising: Morgan Moses, OT, UVA

I like Morgan Moses and could see the Dolphins picking him in Round 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if they chose him in Round 1, though, especially since he has history with Dolphins offensive coordinator Bill Lazor from his time at Virginia.

It's been a few years since Lazor coached Moses, but he should have a good amount of information on him.

That's not the only reason you might see Moses go to Miami, another is the fact that he is versatile; he played right tackle at Virginia up until 2013 when he was switched to left tackle.

His play didn't drop off, and he even improved in 2013.

Moses' steady improvement and versatility makes him a fit in Miami. Much like Zack Martin he could play right tackle for a few years before making the transition to the left side.

More to the article below:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2007 ... i-dolphins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:34 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Well 1st off I just have to say Benjamin should never be a consideration, he was just big, no HUGE and a mismatch on jump balls and vs safeties and linebackers on FSU and with their other wrs, rbs and obviously qb they always could find the matchups with him. Now if I had to choose between those guys I would be forced to go with Mosley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Now if I had to choose between those guys I would be forced to go with Mosley

I haven't looked real deep into this draft class yet since we still have 2 months to go until draft day, but with everything considered (how deep this OL class is allegedly), Mosley would be priority #1 by decent margin if he is still on the board @ 19.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:42 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:
Now if I had to choose between those guys I would be forced to go with Mosley

I haven't looked real deep into this draft class yet since we still have 2 months to go until draft day, but with everything considered (how deep this OL class is allegedly), Mosley would be priority #1 by decent margin if he is still on the board @ 19.

We got a month and a half really but the reason im not dead on Mosley is because of 3 reasons. 1. Bama prospects unless they're absolute freaks of nature scare me off as not being as good as they should be in the NFL. 2. I don't think he'll be the bpa at that pick and I would rather do that and pick up a Jonathon Vilma maybe and have that leader type also. 3. Coming from that leader perspective I want that type of guy especially at the ilb spot from a mental and emotional aspect and idk if Mosley will have that

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
2. I don't think he'll be the bpa at that pick and I would rather do that and pick up a Jonathon Vilma maybe and have that leader type also.

Who would that be from this class then? I haven't heard any reports in regards to Mosley lacking any type of leadership qualities.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:50 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:
2. I don't think he'll be the bpa at that pick and I would rather do that and pick up a Jonathon Vilma maybe and have that leader type also.

Who would that be from this class then? I haven't heard any reports in regards to Mosley lacking any type of leadership qualities.

That's the thing, the team lacked leadership last year which idk if a rookie can come and have that this year at the ilb spot so though he isn't a bad player it just makes me uncomfortable

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Just putting this out there, with Manziel's stock dropping, do the Phins risk grabbing him if he is there? I know the red flags and the huge boom or bust factor with him.
Thoughts?

*ducks head

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:46 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phin wrote:
Just putting this out there, with Manziel's stock dropping, do the Phins risk grabbing him if he is there? I know the red flags and the huge boom or bust factor with him.
Thoughts?

*ducks head

I think its a question everyone is quietly wondering. If Manziel or Bridgewater are there at 19 and BPA would Miami pull the trigger? If either guy can be better than Tannehill its the kind of move that could cement Hickey as a long term GM for Miami. However, it may not help Philbin save his job if 2014 is his make or break season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Thoughts?

*ducks head

When did his stock drop? All I've heard is a Manziel love fest the past 2 months, most reports saying he'll be a top 5 pick.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:07 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:
Phin wrote:
Thoughts?

*ducks head

I think its a question everyone is quietly wondering. If Manziel or Bridgewater are there at 19 and BPA would Miami pull the trigger? If either guy can be better than Tannehill its the kind of move that could cement Hickey as a long term GM for Miami. However, it may not help Philbin save his job if 2014 is his make or break season.

No you dont make that selection. There are teams before us with much worst situations that I see passing on those qbs for a reason. I get it, from Omar Kelly to other ppl who dont like Tannehill makes this something intriguing and im all for drafting a qb but not there and not until at least the 4th round because I dont love any of these guys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:18 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm actually a fan of our qb but I'm not certain we can assume yet that he is the future of the franchise. It's worth contemplating. .... I'm sure our GM is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:16 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't mind saying at all that I hope he is not. Try giving the kid a chance to succeed before looking to bring in a new QB, especially a 1st round QB.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:30 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

not a fan of picking linebackers who aren't pass rushers this high. I think Mosley is good, but not on the Luke Keuchly level.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:31 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Manziel's stock is not dropping. He won't make it out of the top 5.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:25 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

ag_fin_90 wrote:
No you dont make that selection. There are teams before us with much worst situations that I see passing on those qbs for a reason. I get it, from Omar Kelly to other ppl who dont like Tannehill makes this something intriguing and im all for drafting a qb but not there and not until at least the 4th round because I dont love any of these guys

But the question isn't about what other teams think. Its about Hickey's determination of BPA and what is best for the franchise moving forward.

For the record, I agree with you personally that I wouldn't take either. I think both guys are highly overrated, and it would be better value to get a McCarron or Fales in the middle rounds should they still be available. Let Tannehill take this 3rd year to see if he can become a top 10ish type QB.

I'm just not ruling out such a move because maybe Hickey/Philbin play the Tannehill was an Ireland/Sherman guy. They've certainly pinned other moves as Ireland mistakes so perhaps they may hedge here to buy their job security more time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:05 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

ag_fin_90 wrote:

I'm sure all those teams that passed on Aaron Rodgers deep into the 20's are kicking themselves. That's a silly reason not to draft someone.

That said, I'm not really a fan of this QB class and would much rather stick with Tannehill. Everyone talks as if he hasn't shown the stuff... this dude improved significantly from year 1 to year 2. He has his issues, mainly pocket awareness and deep ball accuracy, but other than that, this kid has been great.

He's been nothing short of spectacular in two minute drill situations. crap if we can get our offense running like it's always a 2 minute drill - we might have something there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:18 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

My bad im just getting back so let me reply to everybody. I don't care about Irelands pick in the past and Philbins guy is T-Hill obviously but not Hickey so he isn't worried about that. However, none of these top qbs wow me and if youtake a qb in the first he has to not just wow you but he has to make you feel like he will be the guy. I don't see that with any of the qbs in the first but I see depth in later rounds especially with Fales in the 4th. That would be my guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:30 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I still think some surprise players could slide to Miami at 19 and/or there are guys they are thinking about that we are not discussing.

The only guys I can recall being talked about who actually were drafted include Mike Pouncey, Clyde Gates, Charles Clay and Ryan Tannehill.

***Disclaimer, I'm Not Predicting This Or Advocating For It*** We've heard the rumors of trading Mike Wallace. Let's say for kicks Mike Evans is on the board at 11, Miami covets him, the Giants might want him and Tennessee is willing to trade back. Tennessee sends the 11th pick to Miami for Wallace and the 19th pick. Hickey justifies it by saying he sees Vincent Jackson (a guy his regime went after) in Evans and knows Evans' playing style would be huge for Tannehill.

Stuff like that could be in discussion right now as the rest of us are sitting here debating Martin vs Mosely vs Moses. Heck, last year the debate was Eifert vs Austin vs Rhodes and then boom they trade up for Jordan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:01 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:
I still think some surprise players could slide to Miami at 19 and/or there are guys they are thinking about that we are not discussing.

The only guys I can recall being talked about who actually were drafted include Mike Pouncey, Clyde Gates, Charles Clay and Ryan Tannehill.

***Disclaimer, I'm Not Predicting This Or Advocating For It*** We've heard the rumors of trading Mike Wallace. Let's say for kicks Mike Evans is on the board at 11, Miami covets him, the Giants might want him and Tennessee is willing to trade back. Tennessee sends the 11th pick to Miami for Wallace and the 19th pick. Hickey justifies it by saying he sees Vincent Jackson (a guy his regime went after) in Evans and knows Evans' playing style would be huge for Tannehill.

Stuff like that could be in discussion right now as the rest of us are sitting here debating Martin vs Mosely vs Moses. Heck, last year the debate was Eifert vs Austin vs Rhodes and then boom they trade up for Jordan.

I see what you're saying but at the same time it's incredibly dumb to that so I dont see Hickey doing something like that. I understand the premise of a trade and something shocking us though which is why this question was tricky for me because I think another guy will slip to us that we'll love

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:16 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

ag_fin_90 wrote:
I see what you're saying but at the same time it's incredibly dumb to that so I dont see Hickey doing something like that. I understand the premise of a trade and something shocking us though which is why this question was tricky for me because I think another guy will slip to us that we'll love

Why is it incredibly dumb to be aggressive about a guy you have a conviction for? Was Atlanta nuts for trading all the way up to get Julio Jones? I get that in this draft the perception is you sit tight or attempt to trade back, but I won't begrudge a GM for being aggressive for the team's best interest. I thought Ireland trading up for Jordan was great. It wasn't his fault the HC and DC couldn't be more creative or flexible with getting the guy on the field.

Its all hypothetical at this point and none of us have an idea on who Miami really values. The only thing said that was a bit revealing was Ross claiming they'll get a right tackle in the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

Why is it incredibly dumb to be aggressive about a guy you have a conviction for? Was Atlanta nuts for trading all the way up to get Julio Jones? I get that in this draft the perception is you sit tight or attempt to trade back, but I won't begrudge a GM for being aggressive for the team's best interest. I thought Ireland trading up for Jordan was great. It wasn't his fault the HC and DC couldn't be more creative or flexible with getting the guy on the field.

Its all hypothetical at this point and none of us have an idea on who Miami really values. The only thing said that was a bit revealing was Ross claiming they'll get a right tackle in the draft.

Give up Wallace and a #1 pick to just move up 8 spots? In the deepest wr draft maybe ever? Hartline, Gibson and Binns are recovering right now also so it just now makes it trickier imo. Now I love trading up if you love a guy and trading up for Evans would shock me but I would love the aggressiveness but if you do it by getting rid of Wallace it now takes that speed threat away and that hurts us. Basically imagine if Atlanta made that trade and added Roddy White to it, its pretty much the same thing and they weren't going to do that

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:07 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Give up Wallace and a #1 pick to just move up 8 spots? In the deepest wr draft maybe ever? Hartline, Gibson and Binns are recovering right now also so it just now makes it trickier imo. Now I love trading up if you love a guy and trading up for Evans would shock me but I would love the aggressiveness but if you do it by getting rid of Wallace it now takes that speed threat away and that hurts us. Basically imagine if Atlanta made that trade and added Roddy White to it, its pretty much the same thing and they weren't going to do that

You're focusing on an example I pulled out of left field rather than my general point. This is why I used the disclaimer and cited a ridiculous rumor. My point was to say there are greater possibilities potentially being discussed, not just the FO focusing on a guy we assume will be available at 19.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:14 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

You're focusing on an example I pulled out of left field rather than my general point. This is why I used the disclaimer and cited a ridiculous rumor. My point was to say there are greater possibilities potentially being discussed, not just the FO focusing on a guy we assume will be available at 19.

No I understand you're point and I love the off the radar pick and tbh I think that's what they'll do. Zach Martin being the pick to so many people looks like it won't be the pick because I haven't seen anywhere that Hickey or Philbin gushes over him so it just seems like a lazy a$$ guess. Now the reason that I went I guess kind of hard on that is that the value would just look off. Even with the trade last year we just went to the top basically of the draft only using a 2nd while we still had another and it was great because it seemed like Ireland owned that trade doing it on his terms. If we got Mike Evans I would honestly love it but to me a way for us as fans to see that we're really moving forward with the GM I have to see a power move but I wasn't knocking what you were saying

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:52 pm 

How about Ha Ha Clinton-Dix at 19? There's a pretty good chance he drops... and I doubt Louis Delmas is anything more than a stop gap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:43 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I want Haha but no way he gets to us. Won't get past the Rams 2nd pick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

swerve13 wrote:

That would be reaching imo. I think the Rams wait on a safety to me like the Dolphins should

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:39 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Clinton-Dix is a stud well worth a top 10 pick in this draft. Better than former Bama safety Mark Barron. I'd do cartwheels if we landed him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:38 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'm not sure how to interpret the Dolphins trying to sign Zane Beadles and Zach Strief in relation to getting o-line at 19. Was Shelley Smith a fallback option to Beadles or was he an intended combo signing? Ross said they'll get a right tackle in the draft, but do they see better value in rounds 2 and 3? Did they plan to "sign" an o-line and draft depth?

Same can be said for going after D'Qwell Jackson. Tells me they want a new ILB and I think that puts Mosely in play if he's still there at 19. But maybe they get the sense he will be gone.

I'm not ruling out one of the safeties either. Quite frankly, I'm not ruling out any position.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

ag_fin_90 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

That would be reaching imo. I think the Rams wait on a safety to me like the Dolphins should

Quote:
"Several" personnel men have told NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah that they'd be "very surprised" if Alabama S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix got past the Rams at the No. 13 overall pick.
The match makes sense because St. Louis is perennially weak at safety, and Clinton-Dix is the premier safety in this year's class. A Nos. 2 and 13 pairing of Auburn LT Greg Robinson and Clinton-Dix would be formidable for a Rams club that needs help up front on offense, and in the back end on defense. The Rams would prefer incumbent FS Rodney McLeod in a third safety/slot corner role.

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]