View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Mike Pouncey Wants New Contract 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Mike Pouncey Wants New Contract
Quote:
Miami Dolphins center Mike Pouncey is watching the Alex Mack offer-sheet showdown with interest.

The Dolphins plan to pick up the fifth-year option on Pouncey's contract, keeping him in Miami through the 2015 season, The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero has reported.

Pouncey isn't content to wait for that option, though.

Per Salguero, Pouncey is angling for a lucrative long-term contract of his own after outplaying his rookie deal.

The Dolphins shouldn't be in any hurry to consent to Pouncey's request.

Prominently featured in investigator Ted Wells' 144-page report on the Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito harassment scandal, Pouncey brought a black eye to the organization just months after making the wrong kind news as an Aaron Hernandez supporter.

If Pouncey is too immature to function as the team leader the Dolphins so desperately want him to be, what's the incentive for shelling out a mega-contract in advance of the option year?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... s-contract

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Mike Pouncey Wants New Contract
did pouncey actually say anything?

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:

Good point............his agent has an obligation to start contract talks.......it's a business........the Phins are best to wait, after his recent troubles, Pouncy needs to boost his stock to drive his next contract.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
Phins are best to wait, after his recent troubles, Pouncy needs to boost his stock to drive his next contract.

Yeah, the timing is extremely dumb with him being the lone survivor of the "bullying scandal".

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:39 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Who knows if he is concerned at the moment or disgruntled about it, but IF he is, in my book, too bad, play out your contract and show that you will stay out of being given a subpeona in question to someone on trial for murder and then somehow being a part of a bullying fiasco.

Keep your nose clean and lead by example. If I am the Dolphins brass, I would want to see that happen first before some mega contract.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:59 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Did he wear a hat saying he wants a new contract?

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:52 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

shularino wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Good point............his agent has an obligation to start contract talks.......it's a business........the Phins are best to wait, after his recent troubles, Pouncy needs to boost his stock to drive his next contract.

Yeah I see nothing quoting him, so seems its the agent getting the ball rolling...

IMO F the Wells report, it was extremely biased. Pouncey has been solid.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dollar signs from Mack's reported numbers

Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:29 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Dollar signs from Mack's reported numbers

The Dolphins are going to sign Pouncey to a longterm contract at some point. I am not against signing him to a new contract, but I would feel more comfortable if they could research his support of Hernandez. That is what concerns me.

Here's what I found:

Quote:
The deal includes $18 million guaranteed over the first two seasons. The $8.4 million average annual value will make Mack the highest-paid center in the league. Mack can void the deal after 2015, and cannot be franchise tagged if he does so. However, if Mack chooses not to opt out, he'll be guaranteed $8 million for 2016.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... worth-$42m

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

makes no sense to sign him until after his current deal plus option year considering he is asking for franchise player type money anyway....may as well just wait considering his troubles and franchise him if needed down the road.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:29 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I wouldn't pay him "Mack" money, but I would hammer out an extension. He's going to get it anyways.

Is Pouncey a leader on this team? YES

Armando Salguero wrote:
He also believes he's become a leader on the team -- Wells Report nothwithstanding -- and the Dolphins have already conceded that point in both words and actions. Remember that when left tackle Branden Albert was signed the team brought two players to the celebratory dinner with the new acquisition and coaches. Those two were quarterback Ryan Tannehill and, of course, Pouncey.

That spoke to Pouncey's standing.

Will Pouncey end up getting an extension even though he is under contract? YES

Armando Salguero wrote:
Yes, the Dolphins can argue no center is worth that kind of annual salary. There are excellent left tackles in the NFL making between $7-$8 million. They can argue that unlike Mack, Pouncey has not hit free agency and is not designated as a transition player. They can even argue Pouncey is actually under contract for two more years, once the option takes effect, and so an extension is not in the offing at all.

But those arguments will fall on deaf ears for the player and his agent because they see themselves as being among the best at their position, going into the final year of a rookie contract, and being grossly underpaid.

And the only way to correct that is with an extension.

And once they win that argument, and they will, the next question is what is Pouncey worth? And that's when the Alex Mack deal will be raised. I suppose it may not be matched by the Dolphins. But it will surely be raised and used as a ceiling for Pouncey.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:59 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I would also wait to do a new contract with Pouncey. Whatever you may think of the report done in the fiasco know as Martin/Incognito, he is mentioned in the report in a prominent manner. On top of that, you have the Aaron Hernandez connection.

Is Pouncey one of the top OC in the NFL, YES. That said, this was not the right time by his agent to want to talk about a new contract with what is hanging over Pouncey right now.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
I would also wait to do a new contract with Pouncey. Whatever you may think of the report done in the fiasco know as Martin/Incognito, he is mentioned in the report in a prominent manner. On top of that, you have the Aaron Hernandez connection.

Is Pouncey one of the top OC in the NFL, YES. That said, this was not the right time by his agent to want to talk about a new contract with what is hanging over Pouncey right now.

Well said. I feel the same way. Now is not the right time. Lets see how he handles himself this season and if he has any repercussions from the Wells investigation or Hernandez case. They can sign him to an extension next year.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:28 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If we are going to pay Mack money to a center, why not give it to mack? no way does Miami pay pouncey this money especially with his role in bully scandal and friendship with hernandez. I'm usually an optimist but I just dont' see pouncey working out...he's going to end up in jail or something.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:49 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:

Yep. Agents = lawyers. It's all about their client. They definitely do what they are paid to do, not what is good for the team or the fans. I wouldn't be surprised that his agent tells him to not report to camp as he knows the Dolphins would really be hurting without Pouncey. That gives him some leverage entering this season.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:43 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would not mind at all drafting a center in a month. I'm not real comfortable paying a guy like Pouncey big money. Highly decorated centers like Travis Swanson and Bryan Stork will still be avaiable in rounds 3 and 4.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]