View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Phins sign WR Damian Williams 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Phins sign WR Damian Williams
Quote:
Damian Williams had a solid season in 2011 when he started 13 games, caught 45 passes for 592 yards and five touchdowns for the Tennessee Titans. The past two seasons? Williams has been something of a ghost.

The Titans went in a different direction and relegated Williams to No. 4 wide receiver status and that meant he started only three games in two seasons and didn't get in the end zone at all.

Well, Williams is a free agent now and looking for an opportunity to contribute somewhere. So he visited the Dolphins on Thursday.

[Update: Williams signed a one-year deal worth $800,000, The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson has confirmed. ESPN's James Walker was the first to report the transaction.]

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 pm
Profile YIM
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Phins sign WR Damian Williams
Odd signing. I liked Williams coming out of college.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:33 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I like little moves like this, we need to build up camp bodies for one thing, probably 10 or so WRs in camp I would imagine, but this is a guy who could bounce back in a different system, low risk with possibly a good pay off, a camp body who's a little more than a camp body.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:52 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Does he even make the team?

RotoWorld wrote:
Williams has caught only 106 passes since being the No. 77 pick of the 2010 draft, but can man both the slot and the outside. Presumably amenable to playing for at or near the minimum, he'd be a nice signing to round out Miami's receiver corps.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/570 ... n-williams

PFT wrote:
The 25-year-old Williams joins a Miami receiving group with clear-cut starters in Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline. Brandon Gibson and Armon Binns are among the Dolphins’ other WR options.

Williams also returns punts and kickoffs, and he could be a good addition to some team’s special teams, as well as the offense. Perhaps that team will be the Dolphins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -williams/

Bill Polian's free agent grade on Williams:

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

He's going to play on st but also he was looking like he had the potential to be good with the Titans but they suck at everything on offense except rb. I mean seriously what wr do they ever develop and look at their qbs and offensive coordinators

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:00 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yawn.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:01 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
Yawn.

Yep, I didn't even update the slide show on the home page. I get so tired of hearing "potential". After 4 years I would think that what you see is what you get.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Yawn.

Yep, I didn't even update the slide show on the home page. I get so tired of hearing "potential". After 4 years I would think that what you see is what you get.

He put up productive numbers before and then Tennessee tried to pick up bigger wrs and they sucked badly at qb already while being a run first team. He's not going to be ore then a 5th wr here that does well on st and can fill in early if Binns, Harline and Gibson aren't ready not a star

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:38 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He sucks...won't even be on the roster opening day.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

Dumpster diving man. They should be paying more attention to WR's in the draft. Enough with the acorn crap already. It's important considering the rash of knee injuries in the unit last year and there's no telling whether Tanny/Wallace ever develop any chemistry whatsoever.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:14 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
They should be paying more attention to WR's in the draft.

How do you know they aren't?

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
How do you know they aren't?

That is exactly what I was about to ask. There's no gaurantee they will draft a WR, but I won't be surprised if they do, and you can bet they're doing their homework.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:20 pm

k-dash wrote:
There's no gaurantee they will draft a WR, but I won't be surprised if they do, and you can bet they're doing their homework.

Absolutely, they just announced that Donte Moncrief will be visiting.

I don't understand why someone would complain about the Dolphins bringing in a guy on a one year deal for 6 figures to compete in camp.

The Dolphins need bodies in camp just to run practices. This is nothing new. It's cap neutral and you never know.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:23 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rich wrote:
k-dash wrote:
There's no gaurantee they will draft a WR, but I won't be surprised if they do, and you can bet they're doing their homework.

Absolutely, they just announced that Donte Moncrief will be visiting.

I don't understand why someone would complain about the Dolphins bringing in a guy on a one year deal for 6 figures to compete in camp.

The Dolphins need bodies in camp just to run practices. This is nothing new. It's cap neutral and you never know.

THIS.......

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
They should be paying more attention to WR's in the draft.

:hithead:

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:13 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Dumpster diving man. They should be paying more attention to WR's in the draft. Enough with the acorn crap already. It's important considering the rash of knee injuries in the unit last year and there's no telling whether Tanny/Wallace ever develop any chemistry whatsoever.

Um.......... theres over 90 guys that go to camps........... they need bodies

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

:)

Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

Just curious. Why are you so quick to write every non star player off? Every player on a team cannot be a Pro Bowler. Teams need guys who produce, but are not stars. Few liked signing Gibson last yr & prior to his knee injury he was producing. Never to be a star, but players have to start somewhere. Williams may never been more than what he appears to be, but there is an off chance changing teams will change his production. Its not like Hartline is secure as a No. 2 Wr. I personally feel Williams has a good chance at producing similar numbers as Hartline, but at a fraction of the cost. We have to remember. Hickey did not sign Hartline & has no reason to keep him. I can see him being traded for a mid Rd. pick on draft day.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Its not like Hartline is secure as a No. 2 Wr. I personally feel Williams has a good chance at producing similar numbers as Hartline, but at a fraction of the cost. We have to remember. Hickey did not sign Hartline & has no reason to keep him. I can see him being traded for a mid Rd. pick on draft day.

I agree with you that Williams could be productive, but as someone already pointed out its probably as a potential replacement for Gibson. Hartline is by far Tannehill's favorite receiver and I don't think Hickey is going to take that away from him. While I like Gibson, that knee injury was rough and they can't bank on him simply coming back to old form.

The only way I can see Hartline leaving is if he is replaced by Matthews as Tannehill's new favorite guy.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

I agree with you that Williams could be productive, but as someone already pointed out its probably as a potential replacement for Gibson. Hartline is by far Tannehill's favorite receiver and I don't think Hickey is going to take that away from him. While I like Gibson, that knee injury was rough and they can't bank on him simply coming back to old form.

The only way I can see Hartline leaving is if he is replaced by Matthews as Tannehill's new favorite guy.

I do not believe Hartline is Tanny's favorite target. Tanny has not shown any tendency of having a favorite target. Prior to Gibson being hurt he was getting more looks & lets face it. Hartline disappears for games at a time. If Miami is looking to dump salary this yr, then Hartline is a good place to start.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
If Miami is looking to dump salary this yr, then Hartline is a good place to start.

Crazy talk.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
I do not believe Hartline is Tanny's favorite target. Tanny has not shown any tendency of having a favorite target. Prior to Gibson being hurt he was getting more looks & lets face it.

Gibson was targeted 43 times in the games he played. Hartline was targeted 54 times in those same games.

Not sure how that equates to Gibson getting more looks.

Quote:
Hartline disappears for games at a time.

Every player has highs and lows but Hartline didn't have that game that ballooned his numbers like he did in 2012 against Arizona. He was actually relatively steady until the last two weeks.

Quote:
If Miami is looking to dump salary this yr, then Hartline is a good place to start.

He just got an extension in 2013. It would cost a lot more to release him than to keep him.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Gibson was targeted 43 times in the games he played. Hartline was targeted 54 times in those same games.

Not sure how that equates to Gibson getting more looks.
Was not comparing between the two. I said getting more targets. Meaning he was getting looked to more often himself.

Just to point out the facts are in the details. Hartline had 25 targets in 2 of those games.

Rich wrote:
Every player has highs and lows but Hartline didn't have that game that ballooned his numbers like he did in 2012 against Arizona. He was actually relatively steady until the last two weeks..
Steadily avg. Only 2 games over 80 Yds.

Rich wrote:
He just got an extension in 2013. It would cost a lot more to release him than to keep him.
Which is why I said if Miami is looking to dump this yr. Get him off the books now & free up money later. Not expecting it, but would not be shocked considering his production against his pay.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

k-dash wrote:
Crazy talk.

Probably right. Miami probably could not replace his 4 Tds for 6 million per.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:

Miami probably couldn't use all the 1st down gains he brings as well. Do you have any idea what a role player is? Hartline is darn good at what he does.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Miami probably couldn't use all the 1st down gains he brings as well.
For 6-7 million per I want more than a few 1st downs, but that is just me.

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Do you have any idea what a role player is?
Yes. Hartline is not being paid like a role player. So I am now forced to ask. Do you?

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Hartline is darn good at what he does.

Yes, he is. He is really good at being an overpaid mediocre player who Miami fans believe is worthy of being overpaid.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:56 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
k-dash wrote:
Crazy talk.

I'm not sure whether the red zone issues are our receivers fault, Tannehill's fault, the OL/TE/RB fault, or the playcalling. It could be all of them. You have a young quarterback with a lack of blocking in all phases, so, I think this is why our debates go to many pages on these subjects. Hopefully we'll be able to get some real answers this year. Everyone should all ready know they will be evaluated after this season .. including Tannehill (whom I like).

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:40 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Yes, he is. He is really good at being an overpaid mediocre player who Miami fans believe is worthy of being overpaid.

Yeah, a back to back 1,000 yard receiver is definitely mediocre. LMAO

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think we have a solid group of receivers, but none of whom are irreplaceable. I do think Hartline is miscast as a #2 WR. Think he's an excellent 3rd option. Wallace is talented but wouldn't surprise be if we draft a guy like Moncrief who supplants him in 2 years. We should still be looking to make upgrades. Even at tight end we shouldn't sit tight and be satisfied just because we have Clay. He's a nice player but not a top 5 NFL tight end. It would be nice to have a lethal combo that New England had for awhile at tight end.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:29 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Seriously nobody should fall into the "Hartline sucks" trap. Theres always 1 guy in a group who hates him for no reason so we should just ignore it

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
I think we have a solid group of receivers, but none of whom are irreplaceable. I do think Hartline is miscast as a #2 WR. Think he's an excellent 3rd option. Wallace is talented but wouldn't surprise be if we draft a guy like Moncrief who supplants him in 2 years. We should still be looking to make upgrades. Even at tight end we shouldn't sit tight and be satisfied just because we have Clay. He's a nice player but not a top 5 NFL tight end. It would be nice to have a lethal combo that New England had for awhile at tight end.

No doubt, almost all of them are replaceable.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We're a long way now from the years when we had the NFL's worst receiver group. It's nice to be very solid in that area and have 4 nice options in the passing game. Now it would be nice to take this group to that next level. Closer to what Green Bay and Denver have.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Yeah, a back to back 1,000 yard receiver is definitely mediocre. LMAO
It is when your team is mediocre and you have managed to score ONLY 10 Tds in your 5 Yr career.

My standards are obviously a little higher for 6 to 7 million per. If Hartline were making 3 million a yr, then I would be happy with his production.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Seriously nobody should fall into the "Hartline sucks" trap. Theres always 1 guy in a group who hates him for no reason so we should just ignore it

Hartline sucks? When & who typed that up? Why is it when some simply does not show gushing love for any Miami player, then suddenly they have said that player "sucks"

Hartline does not suck. He simply is not as good as many here want to make him out to be.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

When I say Hartline is Tannehill's favorite target its due to their chemistry. You always see them talking, warming up together, etc. And Tannehill definitely looks to him as a safety valve. The problem is that defenses know this and can take him out of a game if necessary. He's not an overly powerful or speedy receiver, and he's not a YAC guy. He goes down pretty easy.

Is he overpaid? Probably. But I don't think he's a salary dump candidate given Miami's pretty good cap situation. As I said before, I think Matthews has the chance to maybe replace Hartline since he seems to be a tougher receiver with good hands.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We overpaid for Hartline............especially when you consider Anquan Boldin was available at a cheaper price. Much rather have Boldin, he's a tough matchup for any corner and a real redzone threat. I think Ireland was worried Hartline would jettison to the Patriots and Brady would make him look like Welker.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:25 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Just curious. Why are you so quick to write every non star player off? Every player on a team cannot be a Pro Bowler.

It has nothing to do with being a "star". This guy was on the street, he will amount to nothing. In other words, he sucks and he WILL NOT be on the opening day roster.

Teams need guys who produce, but are not stars.

You're right, that's why this joker is on the street, he doesn't produce.

Few liked signing Gibson last yr & prior to his knee injury he was producing. Never to be a star, but players have to start somewhere. Williams may never been more than what he appears to be, but there is an off chance changing teams will change his production.

What does Gibson have to do with anything, he was a good signing. There is always a chance to win the lotto as well.

Its not like Hartline is secure as a No. 2 Wr. I personally feel Williams has a good chance at producing similar numbers as Hartline, but at a fraction of the cost. We have to remember. Hickey did not sign Hartline & has no reason to keep him. I can see him being traded for a mid Rd. pick on draft day.

I agree with your feelings regarding Hartline, he is overpaid. IMO, Williams won't even be able to help Hartline with his jockstrap. Again, this is all opinion and if Williams beats out Hartline and produces, I'll give you credit.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
It has nothing to do with being a "star". This guy was on the street, he will amount to nothing. In other words, he sucks and he WILL NOT be on the opening day roster.
On the street generally means the player has been cut. Williams contract was up with Tenn. Just as Alberts & many other FA in the NFL.

Makchell wrote:
You're right, that's why this joker is on the street, he doesn't produce.
New team, new offense. Change of teams & offensives fit better with different players. Its why signing a high priced FA does not always work out. They change how they were being used.

Makchell wrote:
What does Gibson have to do with anything, ..
Just an example of a player who was on a crappy team coming to a new team & showing he was better than people thought.

Makchell wrote:
he was a good signing..

Not the tune you were singing last yr when Miami signed him.

Makchell wrote:
There is always a chance to win the lotto as well.
Yes, there is always a chance. Its not like Williams has been bouncing around the NFL on different teams. He was drafted & played out his contract with Tenn.

Makchell wrote:
I agree with your feelings regarding Hartline, he is overpaid. IMO, Williams won't even be able to help Hartline with his jockstrap. Again, this is all opinion and if Williams beats out Hartline and produces, I'll give you credit.
I'm not putting Williams up there. I'm just say with a better O around him, he came into the league with a better skill set. Williams will most likely get cut, unless he sets the NFL on fire next yr. Coaches stick with what they know over what they don't know.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next