View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Donte Moncrief visiting the Dolphins 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Donte Moncrief visiting the Dolphins
Quote:
Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief will work out for the Broncos and the Dolphins, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.
Moncrief is a big body (6'2/221 lbs) and timed fast (4.40 forty), although his final season at Ole Miss was not good. Sure he was stuck to the sideline too often, but he did not fight at the catch point on a consistent basis. Teams could take a stab at him in the early third-round.

Picking this guy would put the cigar in my mouth on draft day. Has alot of Demaryius Thomas-like traits.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:17 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Donte Moncrief visiting the Dolphins
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief will work out for the Broncos and the Dolphins, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.
Moncrief is a big body (6'2/221 lbs) and timed fast (4.40 forty), although his final season at Ole Miss was not good. Sure he was stuck to the sideline too often, but he did not fight at the catch point on a consistent basis. Teams could take a stab at him in the early third-round.

Picking this guy would put the cigar in my mouth on draft day. Has alot of Demaryius Thomas-like traits.

Brother I was about to posted this and preach pretty much the same thing as you did lol this guy is such a beast I really pray that we get him

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Moncrief is a big body (6'2/221 lbs) and timed fast (4.40 forty)

That's a rare combination...almost worth taking a risk on him due to that alone. Haven't watched any of his game tape though, but the dude obviously has all the measurables of an NFL bodied WR.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Quote:
Moncrief is a big body (6'2/221 lbs) and timed fast (4.40 forty)

That's a rare combination...almost worth taking a risk on him due to that alone. Haven't watched any of his game tape though, but the dude obviously has all the measurables of an NFL bodied WR.

His highlights are scary good. Would not be surprised if he's a better pro than Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson and Marquise Lee.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:43 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpOHRPmhErw

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:48 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Here is Donte career stats while at Ole Miss. He has been a very solid football player in THE premier football conference. Is he going to be as good as Bey Bey, aka Demarius Thomas, that remains to be seen.

But I do like him as a potential Dolphin.

SEASON REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
2013 59 938 15.9 67 6 0 0 0.0 0 0
2012 66 979 14.8 77 10 0 0 0.0 0 0
2011 31 454 14.6 57 4 0 0 0.0 0 0

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

Thomas is a guy who consistently extends to get the ball and routinely maximizes his catching radius. I don't see that in Moncrief, he's more of a body catcher. Guys who do that have inconsistent hands. That can make life a little more difficult in the NFL because the windows are commonly tighter .... so being able to extend out and make a play on the ball gives the WR that added edge.

The physical attributes (size/speed) are similar though.

EDIT: Just found this link that has some animated gifs of his issues with body catching.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/03/20 ... -moncrief/

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ya I agree Rock, the body type is similar to Thomas, but he actually plays more like a physical version of Mike Wallace. He's not a finished product, because if he was we wouldn't be able to get him in the 3rd round, he'd be a 1st rounder. But he's definitely a playmaker with big time potential.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Ya I agree Rock, the body type is similar to Thomas, but he actually plays more like a physical version of Mike Wallace. He's not a finished product, because if he was we wouldn't be able to get him in the 3rd round, he'd be a 1st rounder. But he's definitely a playmaker with big time potential.

The question is do we have the people to bring the potential out and change his habits? If we have those people, is he coachable?

After going through that link I attached to my previous post, I have concerns in regards to not only his hands, but his efforting. Lots of one-handed attempts. Doesn't commonly grab the ball at the high points so not only are his hands inconsistent, he might be a guy who doesn't want to take hits.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He is a body catcher like Wallace and needs to reach out and snatch the ball at it's highest point. Still don't know why nobody has ever changed Wallace' bad catching mechanics in either Pitt. or Miami.

Even if we decide against Moncrief we could still draft a WR talent in round 3 or 4.
Another huge receiver that I love and has drawn Brandon Marshall comparisons is Indiana's Cody Latimer. After teams saw him at his pro day his stock has soared.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

a much better hands catcher than Moncrief is.
Good fit for our West Coast system. We're missing a target like this in our offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZXQcakwFAc

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:36 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

swerve13 wrote:
a much better hands catcher than Moncrief is.
Good fit for our West Coast system. We're missing a target like this in our offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZXQcakwFAc

Another stud

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:41 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Demaryuis had his questions coming out of the Triple option of Georgia Tech in regards to route running and concentration issues, something that can be said about Kelvin Benjamin.

There a lot to work with in regards to Donte, and I think he is worth the pick in the 3rd round. All these kids have rough edges and concerns that need to be smoothed out and corrected at the pro level.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Demaryuis had his questions coming out of the Triple option of Georgia Tech in regards to route running and concentration issues, something that can be said about Kelvin Benjamin.

There a lot to work with in regards to Donte, and I think he is worth the pick in the 3rd round. All these kids have rough edges and concerns that need to be smoothed out and corrected at the pro level.

Again, regardless of the fact that GTech didn't use a pass dominant offense, Thomas still exhibited the ability to maximize his catching radius and was a "hands" catcher. The route running came with experience in the pro's.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:22 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

What I am saying is Bey Bey has seem to gotten past his concentration/drop issues in the pros. Can Moncrief work past and improve on being more of a hands catcher instead of a body catcher? Obviously Demariyius was considered the better prospect as he went in the 1st round.

That is up to teams to determine. Someone is going to take a chance on Donte because of his physical talent, same with Benjamin.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I actually think Latimer would be the better fit for Miami. We need a big bodied west coast receiver in this offense.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rob Rang actually believes he has good hands.

Quote:
Here's what CBS draft analyst Rob Rang said about Moncrief: "Moncrief's thick frame, deceptive speed and smooth route-running make him a nightmare for cornerbacks. He does not possess the explosive moves of Southern Cal's Marqise Lee or Clemson's Sammy Watkins but might be a better player than either of them. He shows the ability to generate separation even against tight man coverage, and accelerates quickly, often leaving defenders in his dust on double-moves. Moncrief tracks the ball well and generally shows excellent hands (one drop vs. Texas), as well as the body control to make the dazzling grab.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

So is this Moncrief guy Phinfever's official 2014 mid round man crush?

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

No way are we wasting a 3rd on this guy.........if he's around in the 6th maybe. Looks like another Clyde Gates to me, a guy that takes up a roster spot while you wait for him to figure out what he's doing. If he can't compete for the ball in college, what's going to happen when he goes up against NFL corners.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
So is this Moncrief guy Phinfever's official 2014 mid round man crush?

I don't know I've got about 20 of them. LOL

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:32 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
No way are we wasting a 3rd on this guy.........if he's around in the 6th maybe. Looks like another Clyde Gates to me, a guy that takes up a roster spot while you wait for him to figure out what he's doing. If he can't compete for the ball in college, what's going to happen when he goes up against NFL corners.

I think you're way off here. Moncrief has his issues but he is a far more established prospect than Gates ever was. Gates got picked on speed alone, and isnt near as physical as Moncrief is.
Moncrief is a better prospect than Mike Wallace was when he was at Ole Miss. And I'd say Wallace has had a nice NFL career.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
shularino wrote:

I think you're way off here. Moncrief has his issues but he is a far more established prospect than Gates ever was. Gates got picked on speed alone, and isnt near as physical as Moncrief is.
Moncrief is a better prospect than Mike Wallace was when he was at Ole Miss. And I'd say Wallace has had a nice NFL career.

I'll agree with you that several of the League's top receivers were not high draft choices .....Wallace, Marshall, Cruz...etc. Though, this is not limited to WRs, the same can be said of almost any position including QB......Brady, Wilson, Foles, Romo.

Listen Swerve, you may be right about this guy, but I would rather the team focus this draft on positions of need (OL, LB, FS, DT, TE & QB). Again, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't draft a WR.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Donte Moncrief is a guy who I really like, but as a third round pick. To me he flashes features of both Demaryius Thomas and Alshon Jeffrey. The only problem, he has nothing elite about him like those two players. Is he fast, sure. But he doesn't have elite speed and he body catches too often which negates a lot of the speed he does have. Does he have great leaping ability, yes. But he too often doesn't use his size like he should and gets outmuscled on jump balls.

For those reasons I see him as a late 2nd to mid 3rd round prospect. This is a very deep draft at wideout and I could easily see him sliding into the 3rd round. If he does, I hope Miami gets him. This kid has definite upside and I'd love to see us get him, but I'd hate to see us reach.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
ESPN's Mel Kiper slotted Indiana WR Cody Latimer to the Saints at No. 27 in a mock draft published on Thursday.
Latimer has seen one of the most meteoric risers of this year's process, along with Pitt QB Tom Savage. "No player has risen faster on my board recently, and I'm not alone," Kiper wrote. "He's always looked good in the size/speed equation, it's just that a closer look shows you a player who was extremely reliable as a pass-catcher. The Saints need depth at wide receiver after losing one of Drew Brees' favorite targets in Lance Moore, not to mention the departure of Darren Sproles in a pass-catching sense." Latimer probably won't make it out of the top half of the second round. The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder ran a 4.39 forty at his pro day on a healing foot that wasn't 100-percent healthy coming off a break.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]