View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Miami bringing in Martavis Bryant & Marqise Lee 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Miami bringing in Martavis Bryant & Marqise Lee
This is from the Miami Herald Sports Buzz section........

We reported in recent days that the Dolphins have summoned Clemson receiver Martavis Bryant and Mississippi receiver Donte Moncrief to team headquarters to meet with coaches and front-office officials. (Both are likely second- or third-round picks.)

And a source confirmed tonight that USC receiver Marqise Lee will visit Dolphins headquarters on Tuesday, as first reported this evening by ESPN’s James Walker. That means at least three of the Dolphins’ 30 permitted visits will involve receivers, a position that might be their deepest on the team.

Lee, who caught 57 passes for 791 yards last season, is projected to go in the range of Miami’s pick at No. 19. ESPN’s Todd McShay has him going 22nd to Philadelphia and noted he “struggled with drops in 2013” but has “good speed” and “is a threat after the catch.”

If Notre Dame tackle Zack Martin is available at No. 19, it would be surprising if the Dolphins opted for Lee instead. But if Martin is off the board at No. 19, everything is in play. And the Dolphins are showing more interest in receivers than most expected.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Miami bringing in Martavis Bryant & Marqise Lee
I love that we're looking into top 10 receiver talents. Hickey might be thinking of replacing a vet WR down the road. I would not be opposed to taking a receiver at 19. It is the most talent rich position.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:05 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
I love that we're looking into top 10 receiver talents. Hickey might be thinking of replacing a vet WR down the road. I would not be opposed to taking a receiver at 19. It is the most talent rich position.

The post mentions we are deep at receiver, but are we really? Right now we have Wallace, a banged up Hartline, a banged up Gibson and Matthews, who stepped up some last year but not enough to make you say this guy is going to be special.

I think looking at receiver is a wise move.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This is a deep WR draft, or so I'm told, so if teams sit tight and look for value it would cause some potential 1st rounders to slide. Miami is smart to do their homework on a guy in case he is there at 50 OR if they trade the 19th pick for something in the 30s and a guy like Lee is still on the board.

As was pointed out Gibson is coming off of a serious injury and may not be ready (or back to his old self), Hartline is banged up and Wallace isn't a feed the beast type possession receiver. They need someone to fill that possession receiver void and perhaps a bigger target for the red zone since Binns is also coming off of a major knee injury.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

I agree Rich. We have Gibson coming off an injury, Hartline off an injury and Binns who never saw the field last year coming off injury.

Personally, I think another big play weapon would be a wise pick up in the draft.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:17 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Not just the injuries, but contract structures will come into play soon. Even if Hartline is 100%, the chances of him being here next year are slim IMO, the contract structure is favorable for him to be cut before the 2015 deadline with a cap hit of 2.5 mil over the following years if what I am reading is correct...

I think they will be shuffling the deck with that position and adding more to the TE and RB position for camp.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:27 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

struggled with drops in 2013

:haha

If this draft is so deep at reciever, let's wait and get a 1st rd talent in the 2nd and address the need at tackle with 19.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:28 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:

If this draft is so deep at reciever, let's wait and get a 1st rd talent in the 2nd and address the need at tackle with 19.

Its also been said it is a deep draft for lineman. After martin there is a slight drop off, so if he is gone by 19 I dont think the next guy in line is BPA. Add a play maker to the offense and address the T in round 2..

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:11 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I think the post has it right that if the top T prospects are gone it's wide open, MLB, WR, TE and CB, the BPA among this group, I would be fine with that.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:04 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Its also been said it is a deep draft for lineman. After martin there is a slight drop off, so if he is gone by 19 I dont think the next guy in line is BPA. Add a play maker to the offense and address the T in round 2..

I could live with this.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:24 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I have always been high on getting one of these stud wrs with 3 of our guys hurt. Now if we get Lee I think thats us trading down maybe to Clevelands spot and he ma be the bpa at that time and I would love it

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

All this sniffy around quality receivers in the draft pleases me ..... for the same reasons Rich mentioned and I know I've aired before.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

My hope is that we take CJ Mosely with our 1st pick, because the depth at ILB in this draft is weak and because I believe we can get a starting RT in the 2nd. If we were to take a WR though, I'd be ok with that if a top one slid to us. You can make a reasonable argument for just about every position being our 1st pick except DE or P/K.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:29 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What's good about our situation now regarding Hickey, Philbin, Coyle, and Lazor is it seems like they can communicate effectively with each other. So far I have been content with what we've done...I am just really anxious to see what plays out. Especially defense...I want to watch Jordan have the same kind of year Vernon did...sad for Cam Wake if it happens, but good for us.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

The post mentions we are deep at receiver, but are we really? Right now we have Wallace, a banged up Hartline, a banged up Gibson and Matthews, who stepped up some last year but not enough to make you say this guy is going to be special.

I do too. We still lack a complete alpha receiver. I'd love to land Odell Beckham or Brandin Cooks in round 1, or Moncrief or Latimer in round 2 or 3.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

DanRambo wrote:
What's good about our situation now regarding Hickey, Philbin, Coyle, and Lazor is it seems like they can communicate effectively with each other.

How do you know this without working right next to them?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

Great point..........I wonder how much of this is smoke & mirrors and how important these visits really are?

From the Phinsider here's a list of prospects that the team brought in for visits or attended their individual workouts last year...........out of this list, we drafted Jamar Taylor in the 2nd and Don Jones in the 7th.

Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
Tavon Austin, WR, West Vriginia
Giovani Bernard, RB, UNC
Duran Carter, WR, Florida Atlantic
Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
Brandon Hepburn, LB, Florida A&M
DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
Ryan Jensen, OL, Colorado State-Pueblo
Don Jones, S, Arkansas State
Jose Jose, DT, UCF - Worked out on both DL and OL
Latavius Murray, RB, UCF
Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
Alec Ogletree, LB, Goergia
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
Ryan Spadola, WR, Lehigh
Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

Local Prospects Day:

John Bostic, LB, Florida
Ramon Buchanan, LB, Miami
Mike Carter, CB, Minnesota
Mike Denton, WR, Mount Union
Travis Howard, CB, Ohio State
Kemal Ishmael, S, UCF
Mike James, RB, Miami
Brandon McGee, CB, Miami
Mike Lombardo, LB, Wagner
Shae Smith, OL, Florida International
Kenbral Thompkins, WR, Cincinnati
Ben Turk, P, Notre Dame
Kayvon Webster, CB, USF

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:13 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

shularino wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Great point..........I wonder how much of this is smoke & mirrors and how important these visits really are?

From the Phinsider here's a list of prospects that the team brought in for visits or attended their individual workouts last year...........out of this list, we drafted Jamar Taylor in the 2nd and Don Jones in the 7th.

Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
Tavon Austin, WR, West Vriginia
Giovani Bernard, RB, UNC
Duran Carter, WR, Florida Atlantic
Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
Brandon Hepburn, LB, Florida A&M
DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
Ryan Jensen, OL, Colorado State-Pueblo
Don Jones, S, Arkansas State
Jose Jose, DT, UCF - Worked out on both DL and OL
Latavius Murray, RB, UCF
Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
Alec Ogletree, LB, Goergia
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
Ryan Spadola, WR, Lehigh
Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
Actually we drafted every position player that came in for a visit so idk how much it means but im confident that they're interested in each position
Local Prospects Day:

John Bostic, LB, Florida
Ramon Buchanan, LB, Miami
Mike Carter, CB, Minnesota
Mike Denton, WR, Mount Union
Travis Howard, CB, Ohio State
Kemal Ishmael, S, UCF
Mike James, RB, Miami
Brandon McGee, CB, Miami
Mike Lombardo, LB, Wagner
Shae Smith, OL, Florida International
Kenbral Thompkins, WR, Cincinnati
Ben Turk, P, Notre Dame
Kayvon Webster, CB, USF

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

From Twitter:

@MiamiDolphins: Hickey on the WRs: We've got a lot of talent there (but) we’re going to use a lot of receivers & we all know that you need play makers.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]