View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 2010 Dolphins' Draft Picks 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post 2010 Dolphins' Draft Picks
28- Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State, 6'5" 304
40- Koa Misi, OLB, Utah, 6'3" 251
73- John Jerry, OG, Ole Miss, 6'5" 328
119- A.J. Edds, LB, Iowa, 6'4" 246
145- Nolan Carroll, CB, Maryland, 5'11" 204
163- Reshad Jones, S, Georgia, 6'1" 214
212- Chris McCoy, LB, Mid Tenn St, 6'4" 244
252- Austin Spitler, LB, Ohio State, 6'3" 234

What I loved: Koa Misi, Reshad Jones
What I liked: Jared Odrick
What I'm confused by: John Jerry, Nolan Carroll, Chris McCoy

It was a disappointing draft for me, but hopefully they know what they're doing.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: 2010 Dolphins' Draft Picks
im content with it. I agree with Keith Byars, I think we are a better team than we were 3 days a go!

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:14 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I'm disappointed with it because I went in thinking we needed a 330+lb NT and still don't have one. I realize Mike Nolan is saying we won't need one in his system but that sounds like crap to me. Randy Starks is not a NT. For the first 8 games we have a massive hole right up the gut.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

we will sign at least one or two DT's that didnt get drafted.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Iowafin wrote:
What I loved: Koa Misi, Reshad Jones
What I liked: Jared Odrick
What I'm confused by: John Jerry, Nolan Carroll, Chris McCoy

It was a disappointing draft for me, but hopefully they know what they're doing.

Loved:
I was perplexed by the Misi pick as he was the one guy that I took off "my" board, so to speak, because he is so undersized, (played at 235 at Utah at times). However, after reviewing his senior bowl and reading up, I love the pick. He's relentless, high effort/high motor, EXTREMELY creative, a lot of versatility, 3 down LB/DE. I like him.

I love the Jones pick as well. He is not going to be a very good FS, but as a SS and the eventual replacement to YB and as a situational guy for right now, the late 5th round was an absolute steal.

Odrick was surprising at first, but with Starks moving to NT, Odrick was a great pick. He's going to fit right into our 34 scheme. I really like him. I know Ozzie Newsome was extremely high on him, and so you know he's going to be a great player.

Liked:
A.J. Edds didn't exactly fill a tremendous need as we brought in Dansby in FA, but he adds more depth and it's never a bad thing. He's also versatile and good in coverage, so, I like the pick in the 4th round.

John Jerry. I would have rather had a playmaker at this spot, and it's odd that the only offensive guy we drafted as a guard, but down the road, (not right away), he is going to be a very good guard for us. Reminds me a lot of Donald Thomas with a little more versatility as he has played RT more than OG.

Perplexed by/didn't like:
Nolan Carrol suffered a major injury, so, I was surprised to take him. Not surprised by the position though because we did need another CB for depth/nickel and dime purposes.

Don't know enough about the 2 undrafted guys to say much, but I would have rather taken some flyers on athletic targets for Henne than draft more ST's guys. Our coverage teams are fine as they are.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:26 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Mike Nolan is a proven commodity as a DC, so if he is not needing that big NT up front, then I will go with what he wants and need.

Surprised they did not get the TE they were wanting. Would have liked to have gotten LaGarette Blount with the last 7th round pick than Spitler, as we know Ronnie Brown has an injury history.

Pretty much knew it would be a defense heavy draft, but I have no problem with that.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quicker than you can say overhaul we've got a Nolan tuned defense. When you're ranked 22nd in the league on defense maybe it doesn't hurt to spend an entire draft on defense. I think the offense will be just fine this year. We were ranked 17th on offense, and we had our starting quarterback, runningback, and left guard go down with injuries. If that wouldn't have happened we would have been ranked much higher in my opinion, probably top ten with our wildcat still up and running.
I personally like what we're doing. If you look at all of our picks one thing you can say about them is they all play with a lot of intensity and have high motors. I think a lot of these guys are going to beef up our special teams right away. Also, we're going to be loaded on defense and thats a good thing considering the Jets love to get into defensive battles and the Patriots are trying to get better on defense also. I would have liked to get a wideout at some point to complement Marshall and return kicks, but I guess Reshad Jones can return kicks and Hartline is an emerging guy our coaches like.
Out of this draft I only got two picks right. I had us taking Reshad Jones in the 3rd and John Jerry in the 4th. I still don't quite understand why we didn't take Jeff Owens in the 6th but I guess we're happy with what we have at DT.
My two favorite picks in this draft are Jared Odrick and A.J. Edds, my least favorite pick if I had to choose one would be Austin Spitler. But I guess he could have been chosen as a special teams ace that can back someone up.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
28- Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State, 6'5" 304
40- Koa Misi, OLB, Utah, 6'3" 251
73- John Jerry, OG, Ole Miss, 6'5" 328
119- A.J. Edds, LB, Iowa, 6'4" 246
145- Nolan Carroll, CB, Maryland, 5'11" 204
163- Reshad Jones, S, Georgia, 6'1" 214
212- Chris McCoy, LB, Mid Tenn St, 6'4" 244
252- Austin Spitler, LB, Ohio State, 6'3" 234

1) After finding out the plan to move Starks to NT, though I am somewhat reserved to that plan, then I liked the Odrick pick
2) liked the Misi pick as I can see him at OLB opposite Wake as a starter
3) I do like the Jerry pick as the interior of the OL has had injury issues, and he appears to be a very good road grading type of Guard.....fits in well with the Fins style of OL
4) after losing 3 starting LB's this offseason the team needed to get at least 3 LB's back on the roster.......I don't know much about Edds, but I like that the position was picked
5) Again I like the position that was picked, don't know much about Carroll but from what I read it appears that he fits the mold of the dolphin secondary
6) Loved the Reshad Jones pick and I believe he has a chance to play in nickel/dime rotation as a rookie, or at least challenge for those spots as a rookie......should eventually move into a starting role in a few seasons.......excellent value at the back end of the 5th
7 & 8) I still like these picks though I have no idea if these guys will make the team or not? As I said before the team lost 3 starting LB's, brought one starter back in FA, and now drafted 3 more LB's to compete.......should be an excellent competition for the starting jobs at LB during camp, as well as for the backup jobs. :stiffarm:

Overall I am happy with the draft picks. :yay:

I would have liked them brining in a guy that fit the prototypical NT role, but that could still happen........still have the Undrafted FA's to go through

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

My biggest issue with the draft is that they did not get good value for the #12 pick. And that hurt their ability to get the NT we all knew they wanted.

I would have liked seeing a FS drafted as well as a true NT, but there will be FA options to look at and I think they did fairly well overall with the picks they had.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Gentlax13 wrote:
Randy Starks is not a NT.

I had thought we had gotten Starks to be our NT at some point. Today is that day. It should be interesting.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]