View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Pete Prisco Dolphin Draft Grade - B+ 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Pete Prisco Dolphin Draft Grade - B+
Pete Prisco wrote:
Miami Dolphins

Best pick: Second-round pick Koa Misi is perfect for the Miami defense. He is a pass-rusher who will move to outside linebacker.

Questionable move: Trading down in the first round and not taking Brandon Graham. That might be a move they regret. But that's nitpicking.

Third-day gem: Fifth-round safety Reshad Jones was a three-year starter at Georgia who has good range in the secondary. He is athletic, but some question his tackling.

Analysis: I like what they did in the first two rounds. They traded down and landed defensive end Jared Odrick. He and Misi will help the defense. They did a nice job.

Grade: B+

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/stor ... i_Dolphins

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Pete Prisco Dolphin Draft Grade - B+
I agree that Koa Misi is their best pick...but not taking Brandon Graham is not a concern of mine.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
@marcu01 Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said you judge a draft based on your projection for a player (roles) vs. what he actually contributes

http://twitter.com/OmarKelly

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I agree that Koa Misi is their best pick...but not taking Brandon Graham is not a concern of mine. tsk tsk...got a double negative going there :ann0y:

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Kiper wasn't a fan of the Dolphins' draft, rating it ahead of only one other team. He assigns the Dolphins a C-minus. The Jacksonville Jaguars receive the only D.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... east-grade

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:34 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
Kiper wasn't a fan of the Dolphins' draft, rating it ahead of only one other team. He assigns the Dolphins a C-minus. The Jacksonville Jaguars receive the only D.

:)

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:56 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think Kiper will be in the minority and I also remember him being very critical of Miami for taking Chad Henne a few years ago as well.

We will find out in time who is right.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:02 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Why is Kiper the all might draft guru??

I can scroll through the last few years and show you a bunch of top 10 bust that Mel gave the Kiper stamp to....

Its kinda sad that the end all be all draft guru is some Fant Football schmuck....

I agree with Pete. Miami had a solid draft, nothing too reachy or risky and filled some spots in our soft area, the defense... When teams can manhandle us the way NO and Indy did last year, we needed this kind of draft......

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mod edit

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:34 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

MNDolfan wrote:
Mod edit

:)

Foxsports.com gave Miami an A.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:36 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

MNDolfan wrote:
Mod edit

Great post!

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:52 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I have always thought it was bizarre to grade a draft moments after it happened. The real test is what these guys do on the next level. It really takes four years to know. However, I am happy with the players we picked up and the holes we filled.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:59 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

catman_56 wrote:
I have always thought it was bizarre to grade a draft moments after it happened. The real test is what these guys do on the next level. It really takes four years to know. However, I am happy with the players we picked up and the holes we filled.

I disagree entirely. What you can judge is if they did a good job with their trades and picking the players at an appropriate place. The best example of this I can think of is Denver drafting Maurice Clarett in the 3rd round. NOBODY was going to touch the guy until the 5th round or later. Even if he turned out to be a good player, Denver didn't get value and could have done better with their picks.

Other than the trade, the Dolphins did pretty well IMO.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think the FO had a gameplan and they stuck to it. I am thankful for that.
Was it flashy? No. Would it have ben more fun for fans to have known more of the players drafted? Sure.
However, when they are drafting players I don't think the Trifecta is thinking - I wonder what the guys sitting in their living rooms stuffing their faces with bean dip on phinfever.com will think of this.
I trust the picks were what was needed. It seems that way from the outside.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:33 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

It wasn't a flashy draft and was pretty much all defense, so, I expect to see up and down grades for it. I think those who have bought into the fact that Parcells has a formula of success will be on board with his picks as he brought in player after player who fits his style of play. No Ted Ginns in this one;)

Also, you have to factor in Brandon Marshall into this draft as it cost us our original 2nd round draft pick. That pick just doesn't disappear.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Don't forget, we also landed BRANDON MARSHALL with our 2nd round pick.

Factor that in and we had the best draft of anybody. :ann0y:

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:42 am

There is no draft guru & these mock drafts are a total waste of time.
Every team & its fans thinks they are better the day after the draft , grades are ridiculous as Jacksonvilles draft can pan out very well , we will see in about 2 years.
It has been alot of years now I have been associated with this board & just to use it as an example the consensus was we always had a good draft. As time has told us sometimes we were right & other times we were very wrong.
You can analyze this thing all you want ... & yes use those words upside & potential but the pro game is truly different than college. So while its good to find all the positives of our draft & critisize other teams draft , you truly just never know.
You take all these middle round picks who most of us never heard of or know very little about & find a 2 minute hilte reel & from those 2 minutes form our own positive opinions but honestly those guys also have a much longer lowlite reel.
I forget who it was but we picked a guy a few years ago whose hilite reel was that he ran thru a piece of drywall .... nuff said about the draft & trying to figure it out.
All that being said , I truly beleive the draft is the way to build your team. It pays much more divedends than free agency.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:45 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

It actually comforts me that Kiper doesn't approve of our draft. He's just an espn tool. I don't if anyone saw the discussions between Mel & Jon Gruden but was hilarious. I'll reenact it for you;
Mel "This player has the greatest draft value in this round. I don't know why they didn't take him!"
Jon "Because he's not that good! That team doesn't want him" . . . . (awkward silence) . . . . . & then the whole world realizes which person actually knows football

As for Pete's B+ I actually think its fair. Mostly because we don't know how its going to work out with Odrick or Starks on DT or NT. Its a huge experiment to make with our 1st round pick

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

In my honest opinion I think the Trifecta said lets go get some hungry guys, guys that we have seen practice and play in front of us. No, they didn't go with the "Big Name Guys" but I bet you that they have seen alot more in these guys than we have. I have a feeling that this is gonna be an awesome training camp with a ton of competition and thats exactly what I think we need on Defense. We need some Hungry, Nonstop Motor, Get after it competition. I am excited and I believe that our FO did exactly what they wanted to do. Let's try to give the guys that make the big bucks the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing and have a plan. Lets look at this way, we just got a whole lot youger on Defense. Our biggest problem will be who is gonna lead them. I think Mr. Dansby steps up and leads the New and Improved Miami Dolphins Defense into a New Decade and Our New Found Offense lead by Henne and Co. drive Opposing Defenses crazy trying to stop the R&R Express and a passing attack that can burn you too.... I think this year looks alot more bright than we have ever had in the past 10 years.

Now, let me have it.....

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
I agree that Koa Misi is their best pick...but not taking Brandon Graham is not a concern of mine. tsk tsk...got a double negative going there :ann0y:

Hm...those are separate negatives that don't change the meaning of the sentence. They didn't take Graham, and that is not a concern of mine.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:44 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
It actually comforts me that Kiper doesn't approve of our draft. He's just an espn tool. I don't if anyone saw the discussions between Mel & Jon Gruden but was hilarious. I'll reenact it for you;
Mel "This player has the greatest draft value in this round. I don't know why they didn't take him!"
Jon "Because he's not that good! That team doesn't want him" . . . . (awkward silence) . . . . . & then the whole world realizes which person actually knows football

As for Pete's B+ I actually think its fair. Mostly because we don't know how its going to work out with Odrick or Starks on DT or NT. Its a huge experiment to make with our 1st round pick

Yeah, it was funny to wach Kiper get pissed off and quiet when Gruden or Young started to correct him in a non-politically correct manner. Live awkward silence, Classic!
:grin:

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:29 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

degs wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

I disagree entirely. What you can judge is if they did a good job with their trades and picking the players at an appropriate place. The best example of this I can think of is Denver drafting Maurice Clarett in the 3rd round. NOBODY was going to touch the guy until the 5th round or later. Even if he turned out to be a good player, Denver didn't get value and could have done better with their picks.

Other than the trade, the Dolphins did pretty well IMO.

Your point is valid, however that is not really grading the draft as it is how the team handled the draft. The true assessment of how well the team did is going to be based on how this crop of players produces on the field.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

Mel who? Somebody please remind me how horrific his mock draft ended up. I take ZERO stock in what the man says anymore. He's a loud-mouthed, obnoxious arse. I loved watching his butt buddy Clausen free fall thru the draft.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]