Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:38 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Last year the volume on Reshad Jones' impact got turned down.

The Miami Dolphins' starting strong safety went from being one of the most impactful players on the defense in 2012 to becoming just a guy in 2013.

The Dolphins linebacker shift changed his roles, making Jones more responsible for tight end coverage, and tailbacks coming out the backfield, and at times Jones struggled in the new defense.
Not helping matters was the fact this former Georgia standout had just signed a lucrative four-year, $29.3 million contract extension before the season, which helped raise expectations for him to follow up on his breakout year.

Jones doesn't shy away from admitting his play didn't match the expectations, but he also feels like people are making too much of the decline. "Minus three interceptions it was the same season," Jones said of his 2013 showing, which featured 107 tackles, one and a half sacks, and one interceptions.

Practice is the key. Like [former Dolphins defensive coordinator] Mike Nolan once told me, 'two interceptions in practice equals one in the game.' I'm working on being more prepared and taking practice a little bit more serious," Jones said. "That's why coach sees the difference. I'm just going to practice playing hard and hopefully it carries over to the ball game."

Philbin said Jones has also meshed well with Louis Delmas, the Dolphins' new starting free safety, who will replace Chris Clemons. But even Jones admits they aren't a finished product yet.

The key to getting this batch of defensive backs, which includes a new starting cornerback Cortland Finnegan as well as Delmas, to form camaraderie is communication, Jones said.

"Getting to know each other," Jones said. "They know football. They are smart guys. The key is building that brotherhood. Those are some veteran guys who have played football in this league and they can get it done. Once we build that bond, and start talking the same language we'll be better off."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... inel+Blogs)

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:07 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I hate it when a player plays outstanding during a contract year only to get lazy once they get that paycheck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:57 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Happens all too often Dave. No heart...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:38 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I think his decline had more to do with his role change in the D.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:50 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Let's wait and see how he does this season. It is not like he was getting burnt left and right last season, he was just OK and not as much of an impact. I am expecting a bigger year from him and if Delmas can stay healthy the two of them in the secondary will be an asset IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:53 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:
Happens all too often Dave. No heart...

Big Dave wrote:
I hate it when a player plays outstanding during a contract year only to get lazy once they get that paycheck.

Thats true. & i get annoyed when a player feels the need to tell anybody theyre renewing their effort. Let you performance declare it & then others will talk for you

Finhead34 wrote:
Let's wait and see how he does this season. It is not like he was getting burnt left and right last season, he was just OK and not as much of an impact. I am expecting a bigger year from him and if Delmas can stay healthy the two of them in the secondary will be an asset IMO.

I like that. I hope theres a momentum growing on the team that they believe in doing what it takes to dominate. They should recognize the Dline making Finnegan & Grimes jobs easier, & then Jones & Delmas are free swinging hammers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:52 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

I got paid, so I stopped practicing hard. My bad...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
I got paid, so I stopped practicing hard. My bad...

That's pretty much what he said.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]