View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Patriots cut Adalius Thomas 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Patriots cut Adalius Thomas
Could he be brought in? Is he our answer at SOLB? I'd bring him in if the price is reasonable.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pat ... homas.html

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Patriots cut Adalius Thomas
ToneOz wrote:
Could he be brought in? Is he our answer at SOLB? I'd bring him in if the price is reasonable.

A lot of people make a big deal about Belichick's genius, but as you notice here, he has whiffed on a few of his big-money free agents.

Just what this team needs .... another linebacker;)

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I am sure he will want a 4 year deal with guaranteed $..

Considering we didnt take a chance on JT I really would be confused if they took a 32 year old OLB on the down side of his career...

I say we continue to get young..

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:14 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

We currently have 14 LB's on the roster. There is no way we sign another. There is only 2 positions I think the Dolphins need to watch, which is TE and possibly FS. But all in all I think we have a lot of depth at every position and guys will be pushing and fighting for spots at every position.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:15 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Yeah it would have made more cents to get him before the draft,now we have enough (lbs). Plus we didnt bring JT back so why get Thomas in here. I really dont think they are looking at getting older players anymore,this looks like the youth movement they're going with. Now we have depth and youth at every spot on are team. We still have some vets in place but not that many anymore.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:29 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

he'll be a jet before day's end lol.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:36 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Dreamwriter Boi wrote:

could be :) they seem to like to get this players that will prob only play a year for them lol

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:40 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

If the Jets had not signed Jason Taylor, I could see it happening. Adalius had some of his best years under Mike Nolan, so it would not be a complete surprise to see Miami show some interest.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dreamwriter Boi wrote:

hahahah... No doubt that certainly seems to be a possibility considering the Jets jump on any player that comes available...They remind me of that guy at the auction that wants something so bad that he starts bidding against himself.. lol

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
If the Jets had not signed Jason Taylor, I could see it happening. Adalius had some of his best years under Mike Nolan, so it would not be a complete surprise to see Miami show some interest.

Plus he would still know all the schemes that we plain on doing on D. But we have enough (lbs)

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:24 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Uncapped year...bring him for the year to compete, if he isn't much better than what's there, cut him.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:58 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Quote:
Armando Salguero: Dolphins source(s) reaching out to various media to quiet rumors of Adalius Thomas interest. Now we can believe them, or think smokescreen.

via twitter

I for one wouldn't be too interested in Belichek's castoffs, the guy knows talent. Most of the patriots that were cut and went somewhere else were not nearly as productive as they were in the patriot scheme.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
Uncapped year...bring him for the year to compete, if he isn't much better than what's there, cut him.

Exactly. We have lots of LBs on the roster, but how many are you excited about playing every down at OLB? I feel good about Wake and Misi, but there are questions for sure. We haven't seen it on the field from them yet. We HAVE seen a lot of production from Thomas over the years, just not last year when he camped out in Bill's doghouse.

Or put it this way: who would you rather see on the roster... Adalius Thomas or Erik Walden?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:07 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

for now, find out what you have with the 13 LB's currently on the roster......after going thru mini-camps and such if you believe you need more, then check out Thomas if he is still available.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

keebler_kahn wrote:
for now, find out what you have with the 13 LB's currently on the roster......after going thru mini-camps and such if you believe you need more, then check out Thomas if he is still available.

He could be gone by then. Can never have enough linebackers I think.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

LIke I said about Faneca, if Adalius will come in for a vet minimum contract with incentives, compete for the starting spot, and be willing to be the backup, bring him in. But he won't, so we won't.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:36 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phin wrote:
LIke I said about Faneca, if Adalius will come in for a vet minimum contract with incentives, compete for the starting spot, and be willing to be the backup, bring him in. But he won't, so we won't.

Heck, I wouldn't do that either.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:48 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:

I don't want Thomas as a back up... I want him to start. I'm all about bringing him in for a look, but if he can't win the STARTING job in camp, then cut him, because he won't be valuable on special teams. Linebackers are most team's most valuable special teams players.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

MNDolfan wrote:
Phin wrote:

I don't want Thomas as a back up... I want him to start. I'm all about bringing him in for a look, but if he can't win the STARTING job in camp, then cut him, because he won't be valuable on special teams. Linebackers are most team's most valuable special teams players.

Great point, I wouldn't want that either. :yay:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:30 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:

He could be gone by then. Can never have enough linebackers I think.

I wouldn't be worried about whether he's there or not, why bring the guy in if you don't think you need him?

if Thomas is a part of the teams plans for the next 3 years then bring him in now and lets go......they can see how he played for the Pats to know whether he could help or not, don't have to bring him in to evaluate that........if not, then you are keeping the younger players from getting the experience they need to improve as NFL LB's........it looks like the plan is to build the team through the draft, get them in young and ready to play.......

So unless they find out their young guys are not ready to play, I don't see Thomas being brought in.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:31 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Dreamwriter Boi wrote:

Only if no other team offers him anything... :jests:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:40 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Big Dave wrote:
ToneOz wrote:

A lot of people make a big deal about Belichick's genius, but as you notice here, he has whiffed on a few of his big-money free agents.

Just what this team needs .... another linebacker;)

I disagree Dave. Adalius is a very good and productive player who had a great year in 2007, had an injury in 2008, and then for what ever reason got himself into Bellichick's doghouse.

As I just said in another thread though, he needs to be brought in. He's an extremely versatile player who can play either OLB spot, can play ILB, can put his hand in the dirt and rush, drop into coverage, stuff the run, whatever. He can do everything for you.

Mike Nolan will no doubt vouch for him. Don't know how he got on BB's bad side, but he's a heck of a player.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm sure there is a good reason for being cut. I would say work him out before signing. Worth a work-out at least.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:27 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Don't get your hearts set on it as I doubt the Dolphins get into a bidding war over him.

Quote:
The New York Jets apparently still have room on their roster for outside linebacker Adalius Thomas.

A week after signing veteran pass-rusher Jason Taylor, the Jets have the chance to add Thomas, too. ESPNNewYork.com and the Newark Star-Ledger report the Jets are interested in giving Thomas a locker stall since the New England Patriots released him Monday.

The Jets are turning into one of those havens for situational veterans. They're a Super Bowl contender and willing to spend for quality help.

The last time he was productive was with the Baltimore Ravens, where Rex Ryan was his defensive coordinator. Thomas went to a pair of Pro Bowls for the Ravens. In 2006, he recorded 11 sacks, a tackle for a safety, an interception and returned a fumble 57 yards for a touchdown.

In addition to Taylor, the Jets have last year's starters, Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas, on the roster. But some wiggle room was created when the Jets confirmed they moved Vernon Gholston to defensive end. ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini also reported the Jets have reworked Gholston's contract.

And you better believe Adalius Thomas is interested in joining the Jets. On "Mike & Mike" in early March, Jets inside linebacker Bart Scott, a former Ravens teammate of his, revealed Thomas' desire to switch allegiances.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... for-thomas

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:
Don't get your hearts set on it as I doubt the Dolphins get into a bidding war over him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... for-thomas

I sure dont have my heart set on it. Honestly dont even expect them to think twice about it...

I think we need to put some confidence in Anderson & Wake as our Vet players, while wake is technically only in his 2nd NFL year, he has been in a few different systems. Anderson is coming into his 6th year, Moses is in his 4th or 5th, Dansby & Crowder...

Its not like we have a roster full of rookies.....

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:38 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't get how the Jets are able to even sign him .... I was reading this blurb yesterday concerning Sharper, so how is it it's any different for Thomas ....

Quote:
Q: John, did the Jets' signing of Jason Taylor take away a potential suitor for Darren Sharper since they are bound by the final eight rule and have now filled their only vacant UFA exception?

Ry in New Orleans

A: That is correct. The Jets would have to lose another unrestricted free agent to bring in a Mark Brunell or a Sharper. The Jets have done more than any of the other final four teams by making trades for cornerback Antonio Cromartie and WR Santonio Holmes. They added safety Brodney Pool, RB LaDainian Tomlinson and Taylor. Some might argue the Jets did too much. It's not certain they are better at running back with Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight and Tomlinson than they were with Thomas Jones, Leon Washington and Greene. Are they better at guard with Vladimir Ducasse replacing Alan Faneca? They made major steps forward, but I think they took a step or two backward in the process.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:46 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:

I sure dont have my heart set on it. Honestly dont even expect them to think twice about it...

I think we need to put some confidence in Anderson & Wake as our Vet players, while wake is technically only in his 2nd NFL year, he has been in a few different systems. Anderson is coming into his 6th year, Moses is in his 4th or 5th, Dansby & Crowder...

Its not like we have a roster full of rookies.....

We need to put some confidence in a journeyman like Anderson? Gotta disagree with that one.

.........and Wake needs to put some confidence in the team by rounding out his game. These two men aren't owed any certainties quite yet.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:48 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rock Sexton wrote:
I don't get how the Jets are able to even sign him .... I was reading this blurb yesterday concerning Sharper, so how is it it's any different for Thomas ....

Quote:
Q: John, did the Jets' signing of Jason Taylor take away a potential suitor for Darren Sharper since they are bound by the final eight rule and have now filled their only vacant UFA exception?

Ry in New Orleans

A: That is correct. The Jets would have to lose another unrestricted free agent to bring in a Mark Brunell or a Sharper. The Jets have done more than any of the other final four teams by making trades for cornerback Antonio Cromartie and WR Santonio Holmes. They added safety Brodney Pool, RB LaDainian Tomlinson and Taylor. Some might argue the Jets did too much. It's not certain they are better at running back with Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight and Tomlinson than they were with Thomas Jones, Leon Washington and Greene. Are they better at guard with Vladimir Ducasse replacing Alan Faneca? They made major steps forward, but I think they took a step or two backward in the process.

Thomas was cut by the patriots, whereas Sharper and Brunell are unrestricted free agents.

Quote:
The Jets do have some options. They're allowed to sign players who have been cut before their contracts have expired and free agents who didn't play in 2009.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/18882/final-eight-rules-put-jets-in-a-jam

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:04 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

joeschmoe wrote:
Thomas was cut by the patriots, whereas Sharper and Brunell are unrestricted free agents.

Good scoop. I was scratching my head trying to remember the rules on who they could sign and who they could not.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:

We need to put some confidence in a journeyman like Anderson? Gotta disagree with that one.

.........and Wake needs to put some confidence in the team by rounding out his game. These two men aren't owed any certainties quite yet.

But giving them the impression that we dont think they can step up may not help either... Some people just need the opportunity...
And bringing in someone they dont know isnt going to make a difference..

Any of these FA's people have talked about are no more then names... THe game has passed them by and they are not going to go out and have break out seasons in their mid 30's...

Anderson may be a career # 2 guy, and Wake is still learning. But they are not fresh off the buss with a glaze over their eyes and can help the rookies in other areas...

Thomas had 34 tackles & 3 sacks in 14 starts last year...
Anderson had 17 tackles & 2 sacks with 1 start
Wake had 23 tackles and 5.5 sacks with one start

Our back ups with limited snaps last year were better than this guy, what kind of teaching is he going to do?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:51 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:

But giving them the impression that we dont think they can step up may not help either... Some people just need the opportunity...
And bringing in someone they dont know isnt going to make a difference..

Seriously, do you want to baby these guys who've proven NOTHING anymore? They are not owed anything. In fact, they deserve as much competition as possible. Whether or not Adalius could make a difference depends on who's talking about him. It's quite obvious you've written him off though.

Quote:
Any of these FA's people have talked about are no more then names... THe game has passed them by and they are not going to go out and have break out seasons in their mid 30's...

Anderson may be a career # 2 guy, and Wake is still learning. But they are not fresh off the buss with a glaze over their eyes and can help the rookies in other areas...

Thomas had 34 tackles & 3 sacks in 14 starts last year...
Anderson had 17 tackles & 2 sacks with 1 start
Wake had 23 tackles and 5.5 sacks with one start

Our back ups with limited snaps last year were better than this guy, what kind of teaching is he going to do?

Thomas was in the dog house the entire season. It was a bad marriage all the way around. It's no secret how BB works once a player is on his bad side. He wasn't even given the opportunity, nor does it appear he wanted it because of how miserable the situation was. This assertion that Charlie Anderson and Cameron Wake are "unequivocally" better than Adalius Thomas is laughable on it's face, even at this point in Thomas's career.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]