View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Schefter expects the Dolphins to pursue FA LB Adalius Thomas 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Schefter expects the Dolphins to pursue FA LB Adalius Thomas
ESPN's Adam Schefter expects the Dolphins to pursue free agent OLB Adalius Thomas.
Thomas is younger with less wear on his tires than Jason Taylor, though Taylor's been far more productive in recent seasons. The Fins did pick up Koa Misi, a possible rookie starter, and small-school pass rusher Chris McCoy in the draft. Thomas could serve as a mentor to Miami's young OLB corps. He's also a favorite of Dolphins defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 12&id=2251

only at the right price but I think that goes without saying!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:43 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Schefter expects the Dolphins to pursue FA LB Adalius Thomas
Of coarse they are... After all, what FA has Miami not been rumored to be after this off season :ann0y:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

He must have just said that,cause I just saw him report about Thomas and he didn't say anything about us looking at him.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:15 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Adalius is a 3 down LB who can play any position along the LB core in any scheme. He can even put his hand in the dirt and pressure the QB.

If we do not go after him I will be very disapointed.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:25 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think we need more mentor/leadership help at FS than at LB...I dont know why there isn't more talk of us going after Darren Sharper.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:40 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

TheBigFish wrote:
I think we need more mentor/leadership help at FS than at LB...I dont know why there isn't more talk of us going after Darren Sharper.

Same here,but they might feel he is on the wrong side of 30 and we are going with a youth movement now. But he still could be of some value,it all depends on how much it will cost us. I think that the G-men have to many (fs) I heard somewhere that they might let K.Phillips go,and he was a 1st round pick for them.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
Adalius is a 3 down LB who can play any position along the LB core in any scheme. He can even put his hand in the dirt and pressure the QB.

Yeah you know, because if we don't even go after a guy who got benched in New England due to poor play, it will be a travesty.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yeah you know, because if we don't even go after a guy who got benched in New England due to poor play, it will be a travesty.

Wasn't due to poor play as far as I know. He did something, (kind of like the Matt Roth situation), that upset Bellichick and their relationship got ugly.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Pretty sure he was benched for poor play. He also showed up late to practice which got him in the doghouse, that might be what you are referring to. But he definitely lost playing time because he was ineffective.

A great comment was made this morning regarding him on sports talk radio. Other than a pick six he had in his 2nd game as a Pat, does anyone remember anything notable that he did in his three years there? The answer was a loud no and they (talk show hosts up here) seem to be thrilled he is gone.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:01 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Wasn't due to poor play as far as I know. He did something, (kind of like the Matt Roth situation), that upset Bellichick and their relationship got ugly.

Wasn't he one of the patsies that were sent home for being late to workouts due to a snowstorm? Perhaps he didn't respond well to that and he rubbed Belichek the wrong way? Regardless, I would pass on the guy.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Agreed. I'd put a two year deal out there for him.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:05 pm

joeschmoe wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Wasn't he one of the patsies that were sent home for being late to workouts due to a snowstorm? Perhaps he didn't respond well to that and he rubbed Belichek the wrong way? Regardless, I would pass on the guy.

Their relationship had already soured before that, but yeah, he was 10 minutes late and got sent home and didn't play that week...

Whatever happened, he's a heck of a player.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

Adalius Thomas WAS a 3 down LB, and a really good one. But he hasn't played well for 3 years. Our FO doesn't chase names, they chase value and production; people who "fit the mold" and still have upside. There are rare exceptions (JFerg, Pennington) but I will be very surprised if Thomas is a Dolphin. Best money is he signs with the JeTs to be another toy for Rex. Oh, the egos in that locker room!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:

So rubbing BB the wrong way should get one passed up on? BB is an arse. Thomas has been unhappy there nearly the entire time, especially in how they used him. It was an awful marriage.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
Adalius Thomas WAS a 3 down LB, and a really good one. But he hasn't played well for 3 years. Our FO doesn't chase names, they chase value and production; people who "fit the mold" and still have upside. There are rare exceptions (JFerg, Pennington) but I will be very surprised if Thomas is a Dolphin. Best money is he signs with the JeTs to be another toy for Rex. Oh, the egos in that locker room!

You have to consider that it helps in the development of the defense and the younger players to have a guy who's got experience playing under Nolan and his defensive systems. We're not talking about a washed up player here. Is he the Thomas before he signed that contract with NE? Obviously not.

The Dolphins like versatility and size. He's got both.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:10 pm

k-dash wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I don't remember him ever having a bad year. He had 78 tackles, 2 FF's, 6.5 sacks, 8 pass deflections, and an INT. That was playing mostly ILB and not pass rushing too often on 3rd down.

In 2008 he was battling injuries throughout the year and eventually got placed on IR. Still managed to put up decent stats though for the games he was in. He was ranked the 3rd best OLB by PFF.
http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_posi ... numgames=1

Last year, who knows how his relationship soured with BB, but obviously he production and playing time dropped significantly.

He'd 32, so I wouldn't give him a big time deal, but I would have no problem signing him to a 2 year deal. He could play ILB or OLB in our 34 D, and can produce in a variety of ways; in coverage, pass rushing, stuffing the run, whatever you need him to do.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:21 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rock Sexton wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

So rubbing BB the wrong way should get one passed up on? BB is an arse. Thomas has been unhappy there nearly the entire time, especially in how they used him. It was an awful marriage.

No, by putting the word 'regardless' in there, I meant taking that situation out of the equation, I would pass on him. He is old(er) and hasn't been productive in a belichek defense (while many have said that BB is one of the best DC's ever)

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:

No, by putting the word 'regardless' in there, I meant taking that situation out of the equation, I would pass on him. He is old(er) and hasn't been productive in a belichek defense (while many have said that BB is one of the best DC's ever)

Sorry, just don't subscribe to your sweeping generalizations. BB's midas touch hasn't been seen on defense in quite a few years now.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

Sorry, just don't subscribe to your sweeping generalizations. BB's midas touch hasn't been seen on defense in quite a few years now.

Or since his tapes were taken away from him at least.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:

Hahah ....so true.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:29 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Hahah ....so true.

That is right....I think thats when the D really came apart :) :) :) hard to scheme on players if you can't tell what plays they're sending in lol

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Quote:
BY THE NUMBERS: Adalius Thomas – Why He May Have Been Benched
Posted on October 18, 2009
Filed Under Football

The biggest story prior to the start of Sunday’s record setting win against the Tennessee Titans was the fact that veteran linebacker Adalius Thomas had been benched for the game.

Thomas, who according to published reports wasn’t at the stadium and sources say was less than pleased about it, was reportedly benched due to “performance-related issues” - although Belichick told reporters after the game it was more due to having the best personnel on the field.

When asked by reporters after the game if there was a personal issue with Thomas, Belichick said, “No, we just went with the players that would have a bigger role in the game.”

His comments and tone were telling, and it’s going to be interesting to see how this whole thing unfolds. Looking at the numbers, through five games Thomas’ production has already waned compared to where he was even at this point last season, and it’s hardly the type of play one would have expected from a player who signed a 5-year deal back in March of 2007 that was reportedly worth $35 million. Granted he’s coming back from a broken arm, but so far he’s seemed out of position and must have done something wrong to cause Belichick to sit him down.

Here is a look at the numbers from 2008 through the first 5 Games

Week
Solo
Assist
Tackle for a Loss
QB Hit
Passes Defensed
Sacks
Week 1 4 - 1 1 - 1
Week 2 3 - 1 1 - 1
Week 3 2 2 1 - 1 -
Week 4 4 1 1 2 1 1
Week 5 2 - - 1 - -
TOTALS 15 3 4 5 2 3

Here is a look at the numbers from 2009 through the first 5 games of this year

Week
Solo
Assist
Tackle for a Loss
QB Hit
Passes Defensed
Sacks
Week 1 4 1 - 2 1 1
Week 2 1 1 - - - -
Week 3 4 1 1 - - -
Week 4 1 1 - - - -
Week 5 - 1 - - - -
TOTALS 10 5 1 2 1 1

So draw your own conclusions. But just by looking at where he is so far this season, obviously Belichick isn’t pleased and it remains to be seen what he’ll really need to do to prove his worth before we’ll see him back out on the field.

http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2009/1 ... n-benched/

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:46 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

i have no idea what that says

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:51 pm

10acjed wrote:

Click on the link....

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:52 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

10acjed wrote:

The formatting is a little off, just replace the -'s with 0's.

Point is his production was down from 2008, where he was also unproductive. He is on the decline.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:53 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

the only fa that i am hoping we possibly sign is darren sharper.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Since I am from New England I have been "forced" to watch many Patriots games over the years. My opinion is that Thomas benefited from Ray Lewis and was more of a product of the Ravens system. His years with NE were all pretty uneventful. I don't see the Phins pursuing him.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:33 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Thomas sucked last year. NO THANK YOU!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dolfanrar wrote:
Since I am from New England I have been "forced" to watch many Patriots games over the years. My opinion is that Thomas benefited from Ray Lewis and was more of a product of the Ravens system. His years with NE were all pretty uneventful. I don't see the Phins pursuing him.

..... You mean the "system" Mike Nolan also ran in Baltimore?

Everyone benefits from Ray Lewis, that goes without saying.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

k-dash wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Here is Schefter stating the Jets are interested.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/ne ... id=5136454

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Funny thing about NE. They dont win a super bowl & all of a sudden they are a failure as a franchise or at least lost the Midas Touch.
I still think they can evaluate talent , especially talent that has been with them & if they are cutting this guy that should send a red flag.
I agree with the thought that he showed nothing in NE. Maybe a trip back to Baltimore is what he needs where he can be disguised in the Defense which is gonna be just sick this season.
As a matter of fact , the one guy where NE missed the mark on was Thomas.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Funny thing about NE. They dont win a super bowl & all of a sudden they are a failure as a franchise or at least lost the Midas Touch.

They lost that "Midas touch" when Pioli left. They lost the ability to make their famed halftime adjustments when their tapes were taken from them. It has nothing to do with not winning a super bowl and everything to do with it being a sham of a franchise ran by a scumbag.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

rhoads30 wrote:
the only fa that i am hoping we possibly sign is darren sharper.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Adalius Thomas is a guy who simply went to the wrong team. Kind of like when Taylor went to the Redskins a couple of years ago. You can't deny that when he was younger and playing in Mike Nolan's system in Baltimore he was a solid player. He's older now, and has maybe one/two years left at best. But I think there is history here, or at least enough reasons for us to possibly explore this option. If Thomas comes at the right price, which he should because of his issues in New England, then it might be a good match. Who knows, he could come in and be a good free agent boost, kind of like Pennington was two years ago.
On the other hand, we just brought in a lot of new linebackers this year. So maybe Thomas doesn't fit because he would just get in the way of progress?
I really don't care either way on this one. If we get him, great, we've got some veteran leadership from a guy who knows the defense. If not, he's still just another ex-Patriot who I could give a rats ___ about.
:war:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
FINesse wrote:

They lost that "Midas touch" when Pioli left. They lost the ability to make their famed halftime adjustments when their tapes were taken from them. It has nothing to do with not winning a super bowl and everything to do with it being a sham of a franchise ran by a scumbag.

Don't forget the fact that they haven't drafted well for years. They've had way more misses than hits in the draft for quite some time. They basically have remained powerful because of aging veterans and the ability to add Moss and Welker to what was a dismal receiving corp. You take away Moss and or Welker and they don't make it to the Super Bowl in 2007 and they likely don't win 10+ games in a season. The signs of a dwindling talent pool and a dying dynasty are quite apparent.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:55 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
FINesse wrote:

:yay: :yay: :awe: :awe: :yay: :yay:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:18 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Click on the link....

my computer has "patsfan" labeled as a virus..... Not as bad as the "jetsfan" virus, but still bad enough to keep me away from that link

:ann0y:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:42 pm

4 recent super bowls & 3 wins ... they have nowhere to go but down & they just won the division. If I were a NE fan I would say the downfall is just part of the natural cycle.

Debating what BB is , isnt much of a debate unless of course he was with this franchise.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:45 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dolfanrar wrote:

We are going to be running a similar system and Dansby is our Ray Lewis (not comparing, there is only 1 Ray) so Thomas may excel in our system, give him a 2yr deal and see what happens. He's better than Crowder. Not sure if he plays ILB but he's still better than Crowder.

:angry: My face when Crowder's on the field!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]