View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 ASK DAVE: Debating Parcells' meat-and-potatoes way 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post ASK DAVE: Debating Parcells' meat-and-potatoes way
Quote:

We’re going to disagree a little on this. First of all, on the idea about controlling the line of scrimmage, last year the Dolphins controlled the line of scrimmage to the extent they had the ball 45 minutes against Indianapolis. And they lost.

Former Indy coach Tony Dungy said he never paid attention to time of possession. That seems extreme to me, but it makes the case that in today’s NFL it might be over-rated. To win big in the NFL today you have to be capable of using a quick-strike offense or, by contrast, having a way to negate that quick-strike offense on defense ...

So you need star talent at the impact positions. How do you get that ...

My point was when you have a 12th overall pick, as the Dolphins did, your odds of finding a great player are higher than with the 28th and 40th picks. I understand why they made the trade

But the odds of finding a great player decreased by making that move ...

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:54 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: ASK DAVE: Debating Parcells' meat-and-potatoes way
I don't think the overall #12 position of the draft will get you Peyton Manning.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:06 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Miami bought in a difference maker when they traded for Brandon Marshall. But I guess some media folks love those "sexy drafts".

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:13 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

Former Indy coach Tony Dungy said he never paid attention to time of possession. That seems extreme to me, but it makes the case that in today’s NFL it might be over-rated. To win big in the NFL today you have to be capable of using a quick-strike offense or, by contrast, having a way to negate that quick-strike offense on defense ...

I think you have to consider the perspective of the team you are coaching. While it may seem that Dungy never paid attention to time of possession, I think he actually did. When he coached the Bucs and was trotting Brad Johnson out there as his QB he was incredibly attentive to time of possession. He had Warrick Dunn and Mike Alstott piling up yards and eating up time. With less confidence in Brad Johnson to operate a quick-strike offense, he tried to control the clock.

In our case, the question is: do we see Henne and Co. more like the Dungy-led Colts or the Dungy-led Bucs? That is to be seen. But recall that both versions of Dungy's teams won a Super Bowl. Yes, I realize Gruden was the coach when the Bucs won the Super Bowl but to be fair, it was primarily with the players that Dungy had put in place.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Meat-and-potatoes is a good meal were I come from,and it will fill you up faster also. Sure we can go out and get Lobster,crab-legs,or even some fast food is good,but you would need a lot of lobster & crab-legs to fill you up. To much fast food will make you fat then slow you down. The Parcells way has always been manly meat-n-potatoes with some lobster,crab,and fast food mixed in and its worked. I think this season are plate will be filled with all the good food we want,but still room for desert.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:28 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Big Dave wrote:
I don't think the overall #12 position of the draft will get you Peyton Manning.

It wouldn't get you Ryan Leaf, either ;)

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]