View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 
 April 27: 30 for 30 - Run Ricky Run 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post April 27: 30 for 30 - Run Ricky Run
Don't forget to set your DVR's, this looks to be the best of the 30 for 30 series (yes, even better than The U). Tune in tonight at 8:00 pm est.

Here's some new clips if you missed them yesterday:

http://30for30.espn.com/film/run-ricky-run.html

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:45 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Tonight: 30 for 30 - Run Ricky Run
is it on regular ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPN "The Ocho"???????

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:24 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

It's gonna be on all of them at some point. They are replaying it about a million times this week

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I thought this was fantastic, fills in some holes about ricky for me, my mom was baffled by how intelligent he is. Great story

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Iceberg85 wrote:
I thought this was fantastic, fills in some holes about ricky for me, my mom was baffled by how intelligent he is. Great story

Yeah man. Same for me. I don't think anyone is really going to be able to genually fully understand the guy, but he's a great human being. He's going to school, and plans on going to medical school within the next year...while playing football. Amazing.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:47 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

This felt like closure for years of spoiled hopes and dreams. Good flick.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dude was molested as a child. Explains almost everything to me!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:56 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Ski_Money wrote:
This felt like closure for years of spoiled hopes and dreams. Good flick.

Same here. You went thru the highs with Ricky in Miami, the lows and now to see what he has made himself just makes you happy for him.

I definitely think Ricky left a possible Hall of Fame career behind him, but he is a better man for what he has gone thru and what he is now. That is the important thing.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:03 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

As much as I hate to say this, if he had gone to another team from N.O. he may have been that HoF RB.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:16 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I enjoyed the show overall. I thought they focused a little too much on his initial retirement from football, and as a Dolphin fan who has heard about that stuff repeatedly, I would have liked to hear more about his experience in Canada, and the events that led him to find a love for football again. I also thought the show took the easy way and avoided the issue of Ricky needing money to support his children, something that would have also shed light on his return to the game. Anyway, as a a huge Ricky Williams fan I enjoyed the piece, especially the way it called out the media for their irrational take on his retirement.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I wish we could watch it online. I don't have all those extra ESPN channels.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

fonzy wrote:
I enjoyed the show overall. I thought they focused a little too much on his initial retirement from football, and as a Dolphin fan who has heard about that stuff repeatedly, I would have liked to hear more about his experience in Canada, and the events that led him to find a love for football again. I also thought the show took the easy way and avoided the issue of Ricky needing money to support his children, something that would have also shed light on his return to the game. Anyway, as a a huge Ricky Williams fan I enjoyed the piece, especially the way it called out the media for their irrational take on his retirement.

I think it was focused so much on that initial retirement because thats when he started having his life recorded...

That was some crazy stuff about his dad.. I never knew about that..

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:46 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

It takes a lot of courage to put that kind of personal information out there for the world, and Ricky was the last person I would expect that from. The guy has made huge strides on improving himself both mentally and physically.

My favorite part was when he realized and told Sean that if he could just get his head straight he had the ability to be the best football player in the league. It seems as though he has his head on straight finally, I can't wait to see him and RB dominate this year.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:52 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

joeschmoe wrote:
It takes a lot of courage to put that kind of personal information out there for the world, and Ricky was the last person I would expect that from. The guy has made huge strides on improving himself both mentally and physically.

I wouldn't call it courage. Ricky has lost a ton of money, has kids all across the country. I think he needed the money and thats why now all these years later he let this be released. To make a few pennies

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:22 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Flipper wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

I wouldn't call it courage. Ricky has lost a ton of money, has kids all across the country. I think he needed the money and thats why now all these years later he let this be released. To make a few pennies

I don't think so, he started recording this before he was told he would have to pay the money back. Ricky is obviously not the guy to do things for money. Even so, is he really making money off this? Did UM get paid for their movie? I remember UM wanting nothing to do with their 30 for 30.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:28 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Proof that Ricky doesn't do it for the money:

Quote:
Williams hopes to raise between $10,000 and $20,000 from the premiere, with proceeds going to benefit the Ricky Williams Foundation.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ricky-williams-featured-in-espn-30-for-30-doc-2010-4#ixzz0mOsCWEqf

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:41 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

joeschmoe wrote:
Proof that Ricky doesn't do it for the money:

Quote:
Williams hopes to raise between $10,000 and $20,000 from the premiere, with proceeds going to benefit the Ricky Williams Foundation.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ricky-williams-featured-in-espn-30-for-30-doc-2010-4#ixzz0mOsCWEqf

Very cool.. :yay: :yay:

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

joeschmoe wrote:
Flipper wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

I don't think so, he started recording this before he was told he would have to pay the money back. Ricky is obviously not the guy to do things for money. Even so, is he really making money off this? Did UM get paid for their movie? I remember UM wanting nothing to do with their 30 for 30.

The people in THE U movie got paid. Michael Irvin said he wouldn't talk until he got paid. The director refused to pay Warren Sapp so Sapp isn't in the movie. they are making a sequal called "U2" and Sapp asked to get paid again,they said no so Sapp is now going public as to why he isn't in it and to let everyone know some people get paid and some dont. He is trying to wreck the project by turning everyone against each other

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: April 27: 30 for 30 - Run Ricky Run
Some of us, while disappointed in his choices, stood by giving Ricky more opportunities to return to football and this team. I knew a little bit about some of his issues, and I tried to understand the confusion he was under. I can remember taking a lot of heat on this forum for my sympathy towards Ricky. I know he made bad choices, but I was more concerned with who he was as a person and finding his way out of a dark time in his life than I was about who he was as a football player. I know there were a few others on this forum like me.
Glad to see he is able to finally have his story told. As you can see by who Ricky is today, the lesson is served for why we shouldn't give up on people too easily. We all go through tough times in our life, but redemption is never too far away.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:34 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

That was a hell of a good show on Ricky. I liked the part when they found that 1fan and asked her what she thought of Ricky,after he came back to play well for us. For me it did answer some of the ?s I had about why he left the game but more how he left it. I was more upset that he did it right before the season felt he could have done it well before that. I know he didn't mean to do it that way but IMOP if you're thinking about leaving,you don't think it Monday and due it Wensday. I think he thought about it in pre-season or before and could have said something then. But it's in the past now and I hope he does get his "Head Right" in life and in football, but football 1st we're trying to win this year lol

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:47 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
That was a hell of a good show on Ricky. I liked the part when they found that 1fan and asked her what she thought of Ricky,after he came back to play well for us. For me it did answer some of the ?s I had about why he left the game but more how he left it. I was more upset that he did it right before the season felt he could have done it well before that. I know he didn't mean to do it that way but IMOP if you're thinking about leaving,you don't think it Monday and due it Wensday. I think he thought about it in pre-season or before and could have said something then. But it's in the past now and I hope he does get his "Head Right" in life and in football, but football 1st we're trying to win this year lol

I've seen you used IMOP in several threads now so I have to ask, what does it stand for? I've heard IMO, or IMHO, or even IMPO, but never IMOP.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:09 am
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
IMOP if you're thinking about leaving,you don't think it Monday and due it Wensday. I think he thought about it in pre-season or before and could have said something then.

I doubt that Ricky had the kind of relationship with Wanny & Co. where he could have said "I'm thinking about retiring but am unsure so you might should prepare for that scenario." Also, every now and then I talk myself into doing something I don't really want to do and as the time approaches and the details become more obvious and pressing my desire to go forward drops dramatically and sometimes I just call and cancel the day of. I can see Ricky talking himself into thinking "maybe it'll be better" then getting a workout schedule or having to talk to Wanny or something and realizing it'll just be more of the same.

The timing sucked for us but, to me, makes sense for him.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:21 am
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Flipper wrote:
It's gonna be on all of them at some point. They are replaying it about a million times this week

Any chance someone has recorded and uploaded it for us non US residents??? Pleeeeeese

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:12 pm

jimmygintheuk wrote:
Flipper wrote:

Any chance someone has recorded and uploaded it for us non US residents??? Pleeeeeese

Not sure if this has the whole thing....

http://30for30.espn.com/film/run-ricky-run.html

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:20 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

If anyone needs to watch it, I have it playing on my channel at:

www.justin.tv/txdolfan

access code is: phinfever34

click on the thumbnail under the screen and you can watch it.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

TxDolfan wrote:

http://www.justin.tv/txdolfan

Thanks again Tx.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:38 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

That is golden gonna watch it tomorrow when I get home from a family union.

Ricky is top of the top. Having had child abuse close to my person I can certainly say that it isn't something you leave behind ever, not as a victim or as a family.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:24 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

THANKS TX! You the man.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Like him or love him, Ricky has a chance to walk away our all time yardage leader. His tenure with the Dolphins has been rocky to say the least. One really can't say how good he could have been had he not gotten off track. But one thing is for sure, he's one player I'll never forget! Run Ricky Run!
:yay:

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TxDolfan wrote:

http://www.justin.tv/txdolfan

When are you gonna play it?

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:29 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Greg Cote wrote:
Anybody see Run Ricky Run, the ESPN special on Ricky Williams? Anybody else as tired as me of the overprobed and breathlessly fascinated indulgence of Ricky's perpetual self-searching? I mean, we get that he's a profound, tortured, complicated soul of great depth, OK? Now, just for once, can we please leave the analyst's couch behind and just think of him as a (bleeping) running back!?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/02/1 ... xtend.html

I'm with Cote on this. Anyone on this forum that doesn't jump on the Ricky bus seems to get roasted, but I am sick of seeing the drama. I understand that his dad leaves a lot to be desired, but I know his mom and she's a good lady. Just play football.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun May 02, 2010 8:02 am
Profile WWW

I do believe Ricky did a nice job of playing the game of football for Miami last year as he finished 10th in rushing with 1,121 yards and 11TD. He had 35 receptions and 2 TD also. Since I am not a fan of Greg Cote, I could care less what he thinks.

Sun May 02, 2010 10:46 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
Greg Cote wrote:
Anybody see Run Ricky Run, the ESPN special on Ricky Williams? Anybody else as tired as me of the overprobed and breathlessly fascinated indulgence of Ricky's perpetual self-searching? I mean, we get that he's a profound, tortured, complicated soul of great depth, OK? Now, just for once, can we please leave the analyst's couch behind and just think of him as a (bleeping) running back!?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/02/1 ... xtend.html

I'm with Cote on this. Anyone on this forum that doesn't jump on the Ricky bus seems to get roasted, but I am sick of seeing the drama. I understand that his dad leaves a lot to be desired, but I know his mom and she's a good lady. Just play football.

I hear what you're saying, Dave, but how often do we ever get a chance to think of these guys as actual human beings? We get so caught up in the game and stats and winning and losing that we forget that these guys have to go home and live their lives just like us. We can be so critical on guys, and Ricky has taken more heat than many NFL players. Its good to step away from the game and take a look behind the scenes at whats REALLY going on.

Mon May 03, 2010 4:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]