View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Video Feature: Miami Dolphins LB Tim Dobbins 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Video Feature: Miami Dolphins LB Tim Dobbins
Quote:
by Chris Kouffman

One of the more overlooked draft decisions by the Miami Dolphins last weekend was to acquire Restricted Free Agent linebacker Tim Dobbins from the San Diego Chargers as part of the deal that saw the Dolphins trading down from #12 overall to #28 overall in exchange for the Chargers’ #40 overall pick, where they selected OLB Koa Misi of Utah. In addressing the acquisition, Jeff Ireland noted that Dobbins would be a core special teams player, and that he was among the Restricted Free Agents that the team had targeted as being of interest to the organization this off season.

On draft night, I was at a bar watching the first round with a friend. I was expecting the name “Jerry Hughes” to roll off the tongue of Commissioner Roger Goodell when he announced the Miami Dolphins’ selection at #12. Instead, we heard terms of a trade between the Chargers and the Dolphins, and though I could barely hear what the Dolphins received over the din of the bar crowd, I did manage to hear the words “Tim Dobbins” and could barely disguise my excitement. This of course made me look like quite the football nerd in front of my friend, for even knowing who Tim Dobbins was, let alone knowing enough about him to be excited by his presence as a meaningless tack-on to a draft day trade.

So, I set out to show people why I have liked the Dobbins move so much. Below is a compilation of his snaps with the San Diego Chargers in 2009:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

More here: http://www.universaldraft.com/2010/04/3 ... m-dobbins/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sat May 01, 2010 10:17 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Video Feature: Miami Dolphins LB Tim Dobbins
Thanks for posting that for me Hen. I think the guys will like what they see from Dobbins and I believe he will give Channing Crowder a run for his money for the starting position.

Sat May 01, 2010 10:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Thanks for posting that for me Hen. I think the guys will like what they see from Dobbins and I believe he will give Channing Crowder a run for his money for the starting position.

I don't know if that would be a good thing or not. Channing has been so underwhelming that if he were beat out for the starting job by a career backup, I don't know if I would be happy or upset.

Sat May 01, 2010 12:21 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Based on the video, he seems to be a fundamentally sound player who doesn't get out of position and is a sound tackler. Nothing spectacular but just the possibility that he plays fundamentally sound football may make him a better option than Crowder.

We'll see.

Sat May 01, 2010 12:53 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:
Based on the video, he seems to be a fundamentally sound player who doesn't get out of position and is a sound tackler. Nothing spectacular but just the possibility that he plays fundamentally sound football may make him a better option than Crowder.

We'll see.

I think he's a poor man's Rolando McClain. Good tackler, beefy against the run, like you said looks like a fundamentally sound, smart football player.

That said I'd be extremely disapointed if he beat out Crowder.

Reggie Torbor is as good as gone though.

Sat May 01, 2010 1:49 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

His numbers were as good as Channing were last year and Dobbins was a part time guy. Sometimes it about getting a chance to show what you can do.

At the least, Dobbins will be a strong special teams guy. With Channing foot injury, it gives Dobbins and Edds a chance, and I believe Edds will be in on 3rd down anyway.

Sat May 01, 2010 3:37 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:

We'll see.

I think he's a poor man's Rolando McClain. Good tackler, beefy against the run, like you said looks like a fundamentally sound, smart football player.

I believe either Ireland or Sparano assured us that Torbor is staying, taking that for what its worth...

I like Tim as well from what Ive seen of him, and really we will have unbelieveable depth at LB next season (as I really think Edds will be a great 3rd down ILB)...the real question is will we have unbelieveable starters as well?

Sat May 01, 2010 5:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Amazing part is that Torbor was STOUT when he played on the Giants.

Sat May 01, 2010 7:00 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he beat out Crowder... and idk why people would be disappointed if he did. Oh no a career backup came in and proved he can play so he'll get his chance to start.

Sounds good to me, more power to him! :yay:

Sun May 02, 2010 4:51 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

from the 7min youtube video clips Dobbins sure looks like he should be able to compete for a starting role at ILB........but I'm sure someone could also put together a 7min youtube clip of him getting consistantly blown up by backs and/or OL which would give me the feeling that he had no chance at starting at ILB.

So I will wait and see how the competition shakes out, and at this point I would not be surprised if the starting unit on Defense looks dramatically different than what was expected at the end of 2009.

Sun May 02, 2010 7:41 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:

We'll see.

Frankly I was underwhelmed with McClain's tackling ability; he showed very poor form. I don't think he serves as a good comparison for Dobbins.

Sun May 02, 2010 9:27 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

keebler_kahn wrote:
from the 7min youtube video clips Dobbins sure looks like he should be able to compete for a starting role at ILB........but I'm sure someone could also put together a 7min youtube clip of him getting consistantly blown up by backs and/or OL which would give me the feeling that he had no chance at starting at ILB.

So I will wait and see how the competition shakes out, and at this point I would not be surprised if the starting unit on Defense looks dramatically different than what was expected at the end of 2009.

I think a wait and see aproch is the right call here. Everybody looks good on there set up tape, so lets see how he does in practice.

Mon May 03, 2010 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]