All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MODERATOR, PHINFEVER LIVE!!!
2016 MODERATOR, PHINFEVER LIVE!!!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 7021
Location: ELP, TX.
Quote:
by Chris Kouffman

One of the more overlooked draft decisions by the Miami Dolphins last weekend was to acquire Restricted Free Agent linebacker Tim Dobbins from the San Diego Chargers as part of the deal that saw the Dolphins trading down from #12 overall to #28 overall in exchange for the Chargers’ #40 overall pick, where they selected OLB Koa Misi of Utah. In addressing the acquisition, Jeff Ireland noted that Dobbins would be a core special teams player, and that he was among the Restricted Free Agents that the team had targeted as being of interest to the organization this off season.

On draft night, I was at a bar watching the first round with a friend. I was expecting the name “Jerry Hughes” to roll off the tongue of Commissioner Roger Goodell when he announced the Miami Dolphins’ selection at #12. Instead, we heard terms of a trade between the Chargers and the Dolphins, and though I could barely hear what the Dolphins received over the din of the bar crowd, I did manage to hear the words “Tim Dobbins” and could barely disguise my excitement. This of course made me look like quite the football nerd in front of my friend, for even knowing who Tim Dobbins was, let alone knowing enough about him to be excited by his presence as a meaningless tack-on to a draft day trade.

So, I set out to show people why I have liked the Dobbins move so much. Below is a compilation of his snaps with the San Diego Chargers in 2009:



Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

More here: http://www.universaldraft.com/2010/04/3 ... m-dobbins/

_________________
Image

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/finsradio

RIP Tom
RIP Tone


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 DRAFT GURU
2016 DRAFT GURU

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
Thanks for posting that for me Hen. I think the guys will like what they see from Dobbins and I believe he will give Channing Crowder a run for his money for the starting position.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:21 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 9474
Location: Fargo, ND
phinsfansc wrote:
Thanks for posting that for me Hen. I think the guys will like what they see from Dobbins and I believe he will give Channing Crowder a run for his money for the starting position.

I don't know if that would be a good thing or not. Channing has been so underwhelming that if he were beat out for the starting job by a career backup, I don't know if I would be happy or upset.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24898
Location: Miami, FL
Based on the video, he seems to be a fundamentally sound player who doesn't get out of position and is a sound tackler. Nothing spectacular but just the possibility that he plays fundamentally sound football may make him a better option than Crowder.

We'll see.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:49 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Rich wrote:
Based on the video, he seems to be a fundamentally sound player who doesn't get out of position and is a sound tackler. Nothing spectacular but just the possibility that he plays fundamentally sound football may make him a better option than Crowder.

We'll see.


I think he's a poor man's Rolando McClain. Good tackler, beefy against the run, like you said looks like a fundamentally sound, smart football player.

That said I'd be extremely disapointed if he beat out Crowder.

Reggie Torbor is as good as gone though.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 DRAFT GURU
2016 DRAFT GURU

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
His numbers were as good as Channing were last year and Dobbins was a part time guy. Sometimes it about getting a chance to show what you can do.

At the least, Dobbins will be a strong special teams guy. With Channing foot injury, it gives Dobbins and Edds a chance, and I believe Edds will be in on 3rd down anyway.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:13 pm
Posts: 359
Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:
Based on the video, he seems to be a fundamentally sound player who doesn't get out of position and is a sound tackler. Nothing spectacular but just the possibility that he plays fundamentally sound football may make him a better option than Crowder.

We'll see.


I think he's a poor man's Rolando McClain. Good tackler, beefy against the run, like you said looks like a fundamentally sound, smart football player.

That said I'd be extremely disapointed if he beat out Crowder.

Reggie Torbor is as good as gone though.


I believe either Ireland or Sparano assured us that Torbor is staying, taking that for what its worth...

I like Tim as well from what Ive seen of him, and really we will have unbelieveable depth at LB next season (as I really think Edds will be a great 3rd down ILB)...the real question is will we have unbelieveable starters as well?

_________________
305sportsblog.blogspot.com

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Phins Rock wrote:

I think he's a poor man's Rolando McClain. Good tackler, beefy against the run, like you said looks like a fundamentally sound, smart football player.

That said I'd be extremely disapointed if he beat out Crowder.

Reggie Torbor is as good as gone though.



Amazing part is that Torbor was STOUT when he played on the Giants.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:51 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 4104
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he beat out Crowder... and idk why people would be disappointed if he did. Oh no a career backup came in and proved he can play so he'll get his chance to start.

Sounds good to me, more power to him! :yay:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 264
Location: Tampa, FL
from the 7min youtube video clips Dobbins sure looks like he should be able to compete for a starting role at ILB........but I'm sure someone could also put together a 7min youtube clip of him getting consistantly blown up by backs and/or OL which would give me the feeling that he had no chance at starting at ILB.

So I will wait and see how the competition shakes out, and at this point I would not be surprised if the starting unit on Defense looks dramatically different than what was expected at the end of 2009.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:27 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 9474
Location: Fargo, ND
Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:
Based on the video, he seems to be a fundamentally sound player who doesn't get out of position and is a sound tackler. Nothing spectacular but just the possibility that he plays fundamentally sound football may make him a better option than Crowder.

We'll see.


I think he's a poor man's Rolando McClain. Good tackler, beefy against the run, like you said looks like a fundamentally sound, smart football player.

That said I'd be extremely disapointed if he beat out Crowder.

Reggie Torbor is as good as gone though.

Frankly I was underwhelmed with McClain's tackling ability; he showed very poor form. I don't think he serves as a good comparison for Dobbins.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 494
Location: Ruff Buff NY
keebler_kahn wrote:
from the 7min youtube video clips Dobbins sure looks like he should be able to compete for a starting role at ILB........but I'm sure someone could also put together a 7min youtube clip of him getting consistantly blown up by backs and/or OL which would give me the feeling that he had no chance at starting at ILB.

So I will wait and see how the competition shakes out, and at this point I would not be surprised if the starting unit on Defense looks dramatically different than what was expected at the end of 2009.

I think a wait and see aproch is the right call here. Everybody looks good on there set up tape, so lets see how he does in practice.

_________________
Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MeSoNormy and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r