View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 PBP: Will Allen’s role will be on focus... 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post PBP: Will Allen’s role will be on focus...
Quote:
Will Allen’s role will be one focus of upcoming OTAs

by Brian Biggane

There is an old bromide in sports that a player shouldn’t lose his starting job because of injury. If the Dolphins were to adhere to that thinking, we’d be seeing Will Allen (and not Vontae Davis) lining up at right cornerback when OTAs begin next week.

Of course, that’s not likely to happen. Despite starting only 10 games last season, Davis led the team in interceptions (4), led the secondary in tackles (48) and played the kind of aggressive game the coaches wanted to see.

So where does that leave Allen, whose season was ended by a torn ACL in the late October game against New Orleans last season? Actually, it’s been less than seven months since the injury, so there’s a good chance he’s not up to full speed yet. But even if he is, he’ll turn 32 less than a week into training camp and, while certainly as smart as he ever was, the combination of that injury and age have no doubt taken a toll on his speed and quickness.

Allen told The Miami Herald earlier this year he expects to be a starting corner by the season opener, but if there’s one position at which this team appears set for years to come, that’s it, with Davis and Sean Smith just entering their second seasons.

More here: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... ming-otas/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed May 12, 2010 11:51 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: PBP: Will Allen’s role will be on focus...
We all know that this is a "What have you done for me lately" league, unless you're a super star at you position, which Allen was not. So I think he will be more of a nickel & back up player this year, that said he will still see the field alot, with all the different looks the D will be showing.

Wed May 12, 2010 2:25 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I hope Allen gets some solid playing time as long as he is healthy. I agree that Davis and Smith are the future but they definitely broke down at times last year. Smith also needs to improve on his tackling. Just let them play it out in camp and during preseason.

Wed May 12, 2010 4:32 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

fonzy wrote:
I hope Allen gets some solid playing time as long as he is healthy. I agree that Davis and Smith are the future but they definitely broke down at times last year. Smith also needs to improve on his tackling. Just let them play it out in camp and during preseason.

I think he will it's a long season, and things happen.......plus like I said we will have so many looks on D-fence that Allen "Will" see a lot of playing time, and not just clean up time ether....JMO

Wed May 12, 2010 4:39 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

If Allen is healthy I would expect to see him start...

I recall watching Porter, Ginn and Wilson continue to start even tho many of us felt the # 2 would do better....

Davis/Smith will compete, and I expect Davis to get that job and Smith to fill in for Allen and learn another season.. He needs a bit more fine tuning, Vontae is just a bit better right now...

But thats just my prediction... Allen may not be 100%

Wed May 12, 2010 8:05 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Will Allen unlikely to work w/starters ... free safety?
I see him as our nickel corner which is a very important position.

Quote:
Allen told The Miami Herald earlier this year he expects to be a starting corner by the season opener, but if there’s one position at which this team appears set for years to come, that’s it, with Davis and Sean Smith just entering their second seasons.

The most obvious spot for Allen, of course, is nickel, a job left vacant by the free-agent departure of Nate Jones. The job embodies strong coverage skills — Jones often found himself matched up on slot guys like Wes Welker — but an ability to come off the edge and rush the passer when the situation allows it. Allen has four sacks in his four years in Miami, so that’s not foreign to him.

The other obvious consideration for Allen is free safety, where there’s no frontrunner among contenders Tyrone Culver, Chris Clemons and rookie Reshad Jones. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him get a look there, either in the veterans mini-camp later this month or early in training camp.

Clearly the club has some plans for him. If not, his crude behavior during his DWI arrest while trying to leave South Beach a couple of months ago might have been rewarded with his walking papers.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... ming-otas/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu May 13, 2010 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He probably won't be ready to play early in the season. We just have to wait and see how healthy he truly is. If he comes back 100%, then he will be starting right away. CB is not a position for the inexperienced in this league....unless you are a phenom. Will Allen has definitely been solid for us lately....and then the darn injury bug bit again.

Thu May 13, 2010 10:01 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I can see Allen and Davis starting and Allen moving over to play nickel on 3 wr sets with Davis and Smith on the outside.

Fri May 14, 2010 12:22 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

In Nickel and dime sets there is no question that Allen will move into the slot.

To me, Vontae Davis is an absolute lock to start. If Sean Smith shows a little more playmaking ability, I think he has the other side covered as well as I think he has the best cover skills on the team.

Allen will be in the slot regardless, it just comes up to how much playing time he gets on base defensive sets. I brought up the possibility before last season of Will Allen moving to Free Safety if Gibril did not work out and if our two rookies panned out. I wouldn't mind him back there situationally, but not full time.

Sat May 15, 2010 9:49 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
In Nickel and dime sets there is no question that Allen will move into the slot.

In your opinion. You could easily put Davis there.

Sat May 15, 2010 9:51 am

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Why would you put a press coverage corner in the slot over a guy like Will Allen who is both quicker and more experienced than Vontae?

I guess it is my opinion, sure. But I would be shocked to see it play out otherwise.

Sat May 15, 2010 10:21 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Why would you put a press coverage corner in the slot over a guy like Will Allen who is both quicker and more experienced than Vontae?

The only fact you reeled off their is Allen is more experienced. I don't know why you've generalized Davis as a press coverage corner or Allen being quicker. Especially since Allen is coming off an ACL injury.

Sat May 15, 2010 10:26 am

Good point about the ACL, although I've read that it wasn't as serious as it could have been and that he is doing extremely well.

Vontae is a man-press coverage corner though, iowa. Lol. Come on now.

Sat May 15, 2010 10:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Vontae is a man-press coverage corner though, iowa. Lol. Come on now.

Generalizing won't make you friends.

Sat May 15, 2010 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]