View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Scouts Inc: Sanchez or Henne? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Scouts Inc: Sanchez or Henne?
Quote:
Scouts Inc: Sanchez or Henne?
By Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson

It has come to my attention, via the Football Today podcast when Tim Graham was a guest, that there is much debate as to who is the second-best quarterback in the AFC East behind Tom Brady. Is it Mark Sanchez or Chad Henne? Tim and I debated it briefly on the podcast, but here are my more expansive thoughts on the subject.

Personally, I would take Henne. He wins by a landslide, actually. Granted, Henne’s accomplishments in terms of leading his Miami Dolphins are not as impressive as what the New York Jets did last season. But to me, Sanchez wasn’t the force behind the Jets’ drive to the AFC Championship Game. I am not discounting Sanchez’s rookie-season accomplishments, but I just contend that quarterback was far from an area of strength for the 2009 Jets.

There is much to like about Sanchez. He has shown anticipation, can make plays with his feet and throws a catchable ball. Sanchez should develop into a fine anticipatory passer who gets the ball out on time. His accuracy will improve in the short and intermediate zones. But overall, I see Sanchez as a player who is very average physically for the quarterback position and he will struggle passing outside the numbers within this division late in the season due to weather problems. He simply doesn’t have nearly as high of a ceiling as Henne.

Henne is the prototype. He has a very good arm and can threaten the field at all levels. He is well built and shows great toughness. He can stand in the pocket in the face of a heavy rush, step into his throw and deliver the football. Henne sees the field and reads coverages better than Sanchez, which is to be expected since Henne has been in the league longer at this point.

While he might not be as light on his feet or as good of a runner as Sanchez, Henne gets the most out of every play by standing firm and keeping his eyes downfield. In contrast, Sanchez too often feels and reacts to pressure that isn’t there and hurries his throw or leaves plays on the field. Miami consistently keeps an extra pass blocker in and have some very solid peripheral pass blockers, but it would not be a shock if they were less conservative in this regard next season.

Still, they will throw a lot from heavier personnel groupings. As I expect that we will see more this year with a threat like Brandon Marshall to throw to, it will become apparent that Henne can put the football in spots that Sanchez cannot. Henne’s passes come out hot. Already a confident and decisive young quarterback, Henne will become increasingly comfortable and his toughness will further reflect upon his teammates.

Both quarterbacks have a ways to go. Both still misread coverages. Both miss open receivers that they should hit at times. They need to cut down on their interceptions. Sanchez had a few horrible games last season. While Henne wasn’t always spot on, he never seemed as though he was overwhelmed or didn’t belong.

Go back and watch Sanchez in Week 6 against the Buffalo Bills or Week 11 at the New England Patriots: It wasn’t pretty. I would like to see Sanchez improve his pocket awareness, stand in against the rush longer and require fewer protectors to keep him upright.

The only quality that Sanchez has that Henne does not is that he has led his team further in the postseason. That isn’t nearly enough for me to side with Sanchez in this argument though, especially considering the makeup of the Jets team last year.

This blog post isn’t to be critical of Sanchez. If he’s used properly, the Jets can win a lot of games with him behind center. Both signal-callers could go on to have very productive careers. The Dolphins and Jets are two of the best-coached teams in the league and I think they both feature top-5 offensive lines and strong running games. The weapons for Sanchez and Henne also have improved this offseason.

Both young quarterbacks are on the rise. But, in the end, I want Henne.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... z-or-henne

Wed May 12, 2010 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Scouts Inc: Sanchez or Henne?
I agree, Henne is hands down the more polished quarterback and he's only going to get better this year. Let's be honest, Sanchez road the coat tails of that defense all year long. Henne is the real deal, not Sanchez.
:yay:

Wed May 12, 2010 12:05 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

I was expecting to read a "I love you so much Sanchez, you were so great on SNL, sign my baby", but...

Quote:
Personally, I would take Henne. He wins by a landslide, actually.

...Caught me off guard. That said I am in complete agreement. ;p

Wed May 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The jests got better when they relied more on the running game and less on sanchez. I think Sanchez will be a good qb, he had some awful performances as a rookie just like many others have.

Wed May 12, 2010 1:33 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Wow he felt this way about Henne and we didn't have a real 1(wr).....so this year he can only get better and put up some real soild #'s....now all of our (wr)'s have the want to to attack the ball and fight for it in the air.

Wed May 12, 2010 2:19 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Loved the article...

Wed May 12, 2010 2:28 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Any1 know if Marshall has picked a # yet??? Man I can't believe there is no thread on this???

Wed May 12, 2010 2:38 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
Any1 know if Marshall has picked a # yet??? Man I can't believe there is no thread on this???

There was a thread... I made a thread... some dude made a thread... The answer is: No one knows. So lets wait till someone makes it official.

Wed May 12, 2010 2:40 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Dan wrote:
phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:

There was a thread... I made a thread... some dude made a thread... The answer is: No one knows. So lets wait till someone makes it official.

:grin: :grin: :grin: LMAOx2

Wed May 12, 2010 2:42 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dude trust me... everyone, including myself wants the jersey... so lets be patient and hope he makes up his mind soon.

Wed May 12, 2010 3:01 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This article made me happy :D

I personally think Henne is the better QB as well, but I also think both will be good starters down the road. I just think Sanchez will have more Brett Favre ugly games...

Wed May 12, 2010 4:00 pm

I prefer Henne because he is on the Dolphins. Had we drafted Sanchez I would prefer him for the same reason.

Be real guys .... who knows the future with these guys , my gut tells me they will both be legitimate NFL QB's. Maybe not elite but decent.
Sanchez biggest hinderance is that he is a Jet & we all kmow that. He had a limited # of college starts & was a first year starter & had success.
Henne has shown ability to lead . has a nice arm & has smarts. Should make for nice QB competition for years to come , especially the more years Brady puts in to eventually decline.

Wed May 12, 2010 6:58 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I think Sanchez is like a young version of Delhomme.... average at best, but a good manager. never really has a big game, but is efficient at best. But will have a couple ugly games that will always draw criticism.

That being said, Henne seems to be a meticulous check down QB, but will risk the deep ball. I think Matt Schaub like.....

We will see what 2010 holds in store. I see Henne having a 3300 yd season pretty easily. I see Sanchez having about 2600 or so. But thats style difference. The true question is who throws more picks, To me, the Jets O is not intimidating, hence more desperation picks will occur. Miami's O is bully like. We got a top 5 WR, 2 pro bowl RBs, and a formidable O line, with very key role players, plus the mystique of the wildcat being our baby. Henne should be able to benefit from our O more than Sanchez will with his.....

Wed May 12, 2010 8:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Chad Henne will be in the Pro Bowl this season.

Wed May 12, 2010 8:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:

I don't think so..not that I don't think he's got the tools but just too many good QB's in the AFC

Still can cross our fingers though..

Wed May 12, 2010 8:53 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Henne needs to get his td/int ratio in check. If you look around the league, the best qbs throw more tds than picks and Henne throws almost a pick a game at the wrong times...see the Bucs game.

Wed May 12, 2010 9:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Makchell wrote:
Henne needs to get his td/int ratio in check. If you look around the league, the best qbs throw more tds than picks and Henne throws almost a pick a game at the wrong times...see the Bucs game.

Young QB's tend to do that, and obviously Henne is a 2nd year guy that saw his 1st extensive playing time this past year.

I think the kid has the tools, smarts and moxie to be a very solid QB for Miami.

Wed May 12, 2010 10:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
I prefer Henne because he is on the Dolphins. Had we drafted Sanchez I would prefer him for the same reason.

Be real guys .... who knows the future with these guys , my gut tells me they will both be legitimate NFL QB's. Maybe not elite but decent.
Sanchez biggest hinderance is that he is a Jet & we all kmow that. He had a limited # of college starts & was a first year starter & had success.
Henne has shown ability to lead . has a nice arm & has smarts. Should make for nice QB competition for years to come , especially the more years Brady puts in to eventually decline.

Sanchez will be a bust. He had the best D and running game last season, and still never really excelled, but he did struggle mightily.

Wed May 12, 2010 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:

You could probably say that about almost any first time starter, ESPECIALLY when you have no go to guy and your top offensive player is on IR.

Thu May 13, 2010 4:27 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

He also had a crap recieving core and was forced in many situations to throw the ball more than the gameplan dictated because we got behind so much...I think on the interceptions he gets a 'pass', not much mention of it many places either because of how the team played last year

Thu May 13, 2010 4:30 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

eleaf wrote:
Sanchez will be a bust. He had the best D and running game last season, and still never really excelled, but he did struggle mightily.

When Sanchez' game was on, he showed that he has the tools to be a good quarterback in the league. He also showed that he can be very bad, too. We'll see which side of potential that he is really on this year. I remember even the great Peyton Manning looking very inconsistent his first year.

As far as who is the 2nd best quarterback in the AFC East, that would be Henne based on his performance last year. We're looking for more consistency from him as well in his 2nd year as a starter.

Thu May 13, 2010 4:35 am
Profile WWW

paydurt wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

I don't think so..not that I don't think he's got the tools but just too many good QB's in the AFC

Still can cross our fingers though..

No he will be in the pro bowl being that nobody wants to play in it so when the top QB's all decline & they go down the list you might just see Henne .... and Sanchez in the pro bowl for the AFC.

Thu May 13, 2010 4:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Henne needs to learn to take some mustard of his passes; the guy throws a bullet every single time.
People saying the Jets offense isn't threatening are kidding themselves. They have Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery, a decent tight end and offensive line, and they will still be very good rushing the ball. Tell me where thats not threatening? Tell me where our offensive is better than that? We 'might' have a better running back tandem, but we didn't run the ball as well as they did last year. We certainly have the better #1 receiver, but after that I give the nod to the Jets receiving corps. As for offensive lines, I'd give a slight advantage to the Jets there as well.

I do however agree with the article, I would rather have Henne too. Henne has better pocket presence, tougher, more prototypical, a better arm, size, and intelligence. I see Henne as having a much higher ceiling than Sanchez. However, we do not know what will happen in their careers yet. Just because a guy is on paper a better qb, doesn't mean that he will have a better career.

Thu May 13, 2010 7:35 am

eleaf wrote:
FINesse wrote:

I agree e:leaf. Sanchez isn't mentally tough enough to play in New York. That media will eat him alive, and unless he somehow finds a way to keep his emotions in check, he is not going to last his entire contract.

Everytime he throws a TD or a first down, he goes Brett Favre on everybody. Then he throws an INT or gets a call go against him and he's sobbing worse than his Head Coach. You can't win in NY, or any NFL city with that type of emotional instability.

Thu May 13, 2010 12:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Henne needs to learn to take some mustard of his passes

[Insert Sanchez Hot Dog joke here]

Thu May 13, 2010 1:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

LOL