View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 22 things we learned about the Dolphins from Day 1 at mini-c 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post 22 things we learned about the Dolphins from Day 1 at mini-c
Quote:

1. New defensive coordinator Mike Nolan is trying to create an “offensive defense,” or a unit that plays up-tempo and dictates the pace of the game to the offense, instead of the other way around.

2. The starters on the interior line won’t be decided for awhile ...

8. It’s no coincidence that the Dolphins are holding their mini-camp on Memorial Day Weekend. This was the same weekend a year ago in which defensive tackle Randy Starks was arrested on South Beach for aggravated battery on a police officer.

11. Bill Parcells spent the afternoon practice talking with former Redskins quarterback Joe Thiesmann. (This was one of my favorites. Since we do not here much from Parcells I am glad that he is making sure he still has the use of his voice. lol ok I know that is not what is meant but without punctuation ...)

15. Second-round pick Koa Misi and Charlie Anderson worked with the First Team at outside linebacker ...

16. The offensive package named after a mammal, which involves direct snaps to players other than the quarterback, isn’t going anywhere. And that’s all I’ll say about that.

17. Play of the Day: Actually, two of them, both by second-year receiver Taurus Johnson from USF. First, Johnson made a tremendous cut on Oglesby and easily caught a 20-yard post route, which he turned into a 70-yard touchdown. On the second, Johnson broke Lousaka Polite’s ankles on a punt return, drawing a loud chorus of “ooohh’s” from his teammates.

18. Derp of the Day: On 4th-and-3 in the 2-minue drill, Pat White threw a complete duck – like, end-over-end, this-pass-can’t-wobble-any-worse kind of duck – that went through John Nalbone’s hands and right to Jonathan Amaya for the interception.

19. Rookie fourth-rounder A.J. Edds worked alongside Karlos Dansby with the First Team at inside linebacker in the afternoon. ...

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... mini-camp/

Sat May 29, 2010 10:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: 22 things we learned about the Dolphins from Day 1 at mini-c
I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this because traditionally I believe in giving a drafted player a minimum of three years to develop, but I believe they would be better of cutting White now and refocusing their attention on players with a future on this team. Thats all I'm going to say on that.

Sat May 29, 2010 1:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this because traditionally I believe in giving a drafted player a minimum of three years to develop, but I believe they would be better of cutting White now and refocusing their attention on players with a future on this team. Thats all I'm going to say on that.

While I'd like to say give the guy more time, where does he fit in? He isn't nearly good enough to be a QB. It seems like we're giving up on the wildcat anyway. And there is so much competition for the WR spots I can't see him finding a roster spot there.

I don't know all the rules about the practice squad, but I do know 2nd year players can be put on it. Not sure if there are exceptions like how much time he's already spent on the active roster, but that may be the only way the guy has a job in South Florida this year.

Sat May 29, 2010 5:07 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Thigpen ran a wildcat package in college. He can also throw a lot better than White. To me, the wildcat QB is Thigpen. No question about it. White is dead weight. He was a reach in the 2nd. I think the Broncos are the next in line to see what we have to go through.

Sun May 30, 2010 4:14 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

finfan808 wrote:
Thigpen ran a wildcat package in college. He can also throw a lot better than White. To me, the wildcat QB is Thigpen. No question about it. White is dead weight. He was a reach in the 2nd. I think the Broncos are the next in line to see what we have to go through.

There's a difference between the WildPat and the spread. Thigpen is a spread-option QB.

He's not a pure runner who can also throw. He's a QB who can also run.

The thing about that though, is that we don't run a spread offense. We're a power running, 2 TE set, type of an offense and that is something that Thigpen has to get used to running.

Sun May 30, 2010 10:17 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
finfan808 wrote:

There's a difference between the WildPat and the spread. Thigpen is a spread-option QB.

He's not a pure runner who can also throw. He's a QB who can also run.

The thing about that though, is that we don't run a spread offense. We're a power running, 2 TE set, type of an offense and that is something that Thigpen has to get used to running.

White ran the spread in college and was used in the spread at times by the Dolphins.

Sun May 30, 2010 2:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm not upset that Pat White hasn't turned into the Wildcat weapon we all were expecting when we drafted him, what upsets me about Pat White is the fact that he looks like a deer in the headlights when he's on the field. He's a liability instead of a weapon. If he actually looked confident out there, and was making consistent improvements, then I would have no problem with the guy. Problems is he doesn't seem to be progressing, or if he is it's at a very slow rate. If Pat White can't show real signs of progress, and prove that he can contribute for us on Sundays, then it's time for him to go. Unless we trade Thigpen or Pennington I don't see a roster spot for White. Hopefully someone will snatch him up off the practice squad and take the burden of his second round salary off our hands.

Sun May 30, 2010 8:21 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm not upset that Pat White hasn't turned into the Wildcat weapon we all were expecting when we drafted him, what upsets me about Pat White is the fact that he looks like a deer in the headlights when he's on the field. He's a liability instead of a weapon. If he actually looked confident out there, and was making consistent improvements, then I would have no problem with the guy. Problems is he doesn't seem to be progressing, or if he is it's at a very slow rate. If Pat White can't show real signs of progress, and prove that he can contribute for us on Sundays, then it's time for him to go. Unless we trade Thigpen or Pennington I don't see a roster spot for White. Hopefully someone will snatch him up off the practice squad and take the burden of his second round salary off our hands.

Could not have said it better myself.

Sun May 30, 2010 8:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Thigpen is pretty nifty as a runner. I would like to see him in on Wildcat plays....but not always lined up for the direct snap.

Mon May 31, 2010 2:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Pat White sucks, that is all.

Mon May 31, 2010 3:59 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

The powers that be must see SOMETHING in Pat White to have kept him around for this long. The route of cutting their losses by releasing him because of poor play would have occurred long ago. Though he has not yet produced, he projects as the prototypical Wildcat QB with his speed and style of play. Ronnie Brown did a hell of a job with it when no one knew what a "Wildcat" was, but he didn't scare anyone with his cannon arm as teams adjusted to the new formation. My guess is that all hope is not lost in turning Mr. White into a productive part of the offense via the WC... Time will tell.

Mon May 31, 2010 5:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

LIPhinFan wrote:
The route of cutting their losses by releasing him because of poor play would have occurred long ago.

Says you. They kept Ernest Wilford until, what, the second preseason game? Patrick Turner is still on the roster.

Mon May 31, 2010 5:50 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Wilfork was an FA that didn't produce. I think Turner is still hanging on because of his yet to be seen talent. Even if he doesn't crack the lineup, he may bring back a low round pick via trade. White has NO trade value due to lack of production and an unwillingness to switch positions. I would love to see White succeed and be able to utilize his speed in the WC. I'm hoping my theory is the correct one and the FO is holding out hope that he blossoms...

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]