View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Alex Marvez: Miami has become home for NFL's bad boys 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Alex Marvez: Miami has become home for NFL's bad boys
Quote:
It was business as usual for the Miami Dolphins and the accused woman-beater.

No matter that Phillip Merling was in jail on the eve of minicamp after being charged with aggravated battery against a girlfriend who is two months pregnant with their second child. The defensive end still worked with the starting unit during last weekend’s practices as if nothing had happened.
---
This pass-the-buck mentality helps explain why the Dolphins have supplanted Cincinnati and Pittsburgh as the NFL’s new bad boys.

A league-high four Dolphins players have gotten arrested this offseason, yet there is no indication that any have missed a second of practice time for their actions. Two players -- running back Ronnie Brown and cornerback Will Allen -- were popped for DUIs. A third (defensive tackle Tony McDaniel) also was charged with domestic violence.
---
During his 2007 introductory news conference, Parcells proclaimed he didn’t want “thugs and hoodlums” on his team. So what did the Dolphins do this offseason? Sign an on-field thug (guard Richie Incognito) and add a wide receiver with a history of hoodlum-like behavior (Brandon Marshall).

The fun doesn’t end there. Besides the four arrests, general manager Jeff Ireland came under fire for allegedly asking wide receiver Dez Bryant whether his mother was a prostitute during a pre-draft interview. The Dolphins also re-signed Jason Ferguson even though he’s facing an eight-game suspension for a second violation of the NFL’s steroid policy.

This team is oilier than the Gulf of Mexico.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/philip-merling-miami-dolphins-home-to-nfl-bad-boys-060110

Wow, a bit of a harsh viewpoint here. Marvez goes out of his way to pretty much flame our entire organization from minority owners all the way back to Jimmy Johnson. I think he is blowing this way out of proportion :boo:

Last edited by joeschmoe on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Marvez: Miami has become home for NFL's bad boys
more from bleacher report (consider the source):
Quote:
Since January of 2007, 15 Dolphins players and coaches have been arrested — more than any team in the NFL. The notorious Bengals have had a mere nine arrests during the same period of time.
----
When Bill Parcells took over the GM reigns in December of 2007, he stated, "I don't want thugs and hoodlums on the team."

Since that day, 10 Dolphins players and coaches have been arrested — six battery charges among them.

The average NFL team over the past 11 years suffers on average 1.4 arrests during the off-season. The Dolphins have averaged more than four arrests per year since 2007, and five per season since Parcells took the reigns.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/398543-tony-and-the-sparanos-the-miami-dolphin-crime-family

And to our credit, we did hire Kaleb Thornhill as director of player development this offseason, we are trying to correct the problems.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Alex Marvez: Shame on Dolphins for not punishing Phillip Mer
Quote:
> Posted by Joe Rose on June 2, 2010 10:42 AM
FoxSports.com senior NFL writer Alex Marvez was pretty outspoken on the show today about the number of Miami Dolphins' offseason arrests and the lack of accountability by the front office.

No Tony, it's not a league matter. It's a Miami Dolphins matter," said a fired-up Marvez. ...

Do as I say not as I do Bill Parcells when it comes to the thugs and hoodlum comment that you made in 2007.

"Part of the problem is no one in ownership has the gumption to stand up to Bill Parcells.

Marvez also said there are two sides to every story, but that the Dolphins should have taken a page from the Seattle Seahawks, who sent a player home under similar circumstances

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... phins.html

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:34 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Alex Marvez: Shame on Dolphins for not punishing Phillip Mer
Jeesh. Innocent until proven guilty.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:38 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Yeah Marvez definitely went over the top with this article, see my thread on the original article for a link.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:18 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

It should read "Shame on Bill Parcells for not giving me the interview"

LMAO

crybaby reporters...

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Who says they haven't yet? Who says he's even guilty? What a dirt bag bag.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:28 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I'm going to accuse Alex Marvez of rape and then require that his employer suspend him without pay before the accusations are ever verified....

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:49 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

ProFootballTalk jumped on board and called Miami the renegade team right now. I know the team has had a few incidents, but this is going to the extreme.

Alex Marvez has most definitely gone to the extreme. Punish him before we know what exactly happened? Smart, real smart.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Post Re: Alex Marvez: Miami has become home for NFL's bad boys
Look , its win at any cost .... even with thugs & hoodlums.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
I'm going to accuse Alex Marvez of rape and then require that his employer suspend him without pay before the accusations are ever verified....

I like that idea

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:40 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Boy, I never looked at Ronnie Brown as a thug. I think Marvez went way overboard and it sounds like he has an ax to grind for whatever reason.

You don't excuse what has happen with the arrest and I hope the organization has and should express there displeasure, but geez, bad boys of the NFL? Really?

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:36 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:

No doubt. This guy has a serious case of sandy crotch. He needs to get something legitimate to write about.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:03 am

Most, if not all, of these arrests have been first time occurences. Ronnie Brown, Phillip Merling etc.

These aren't Chris Henry or Pacman Jones.

Or even poster boy Big Ben, who has had at least 3 instances where he may have committed rape or sexual assault tainting his name.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:32 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

They write sensationalized stories for their own gain, to have their work in the news.

A perfect example is Philly Coach Andy Reid's kids ... kids are adults, but they plaster their miscreant behavior across the news ... several even said Reid Should Resign. Writers writing to benefit themselves.

Besides "Miami has become" ... I don't think so ... in quite a few of the past years Miami sat ATOP the PFT Turd List. Old news, must be something in the aqua dye!?!?

Meh, I'd say we don't hardly have the luxury to cut, pick, choose players. We've been talent starved.
Besides, these are young guys with alot of money getting in trouble for the same things as other young guys with money. Mostly first times & nothing that stands out as a Big Time Crime.

I do remember my Funny-FAV ... the Bed, Bath, & Beyond Parking Lot Caper ... never did hear the details on that ... something about a paper bag of cash to pay a "mysterious" debt. (rumors speculated drugs, betting, etc ... but nothing IDed)

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]