View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 CJ Spiller 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post CJ Spiller
If McClain is off the board and CJ Spiller is sitting there at #12, would you take him?

I would personally, I know we need LB's, NT and Safety help first but this reminds me of Minnesota when Peterson was sitting there and Tayor just ran for 1300 yards the past season. You can't pass up special players even if it's not a position of need.

What would you guys do?

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:00 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: CJ Spiller
Minnessota had one solid RB....we have 2 great ones.

Pass.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Personally I'd rather wait till the 3rd round and take Dixon or Gerhart, if we're gonna take a runningback.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Pass.

You say some of the boldest things without even thinking sometimes. Ronnie Brown has only rushed for 1000 yards once and he was only 8 yards over. Chester Taylor rushed for 1200 in 06. In just three more seasons (albeit he only touched the ball 45 times his rookie year as a backup in Baltimore), Taylor has doubled Brown's receiving totals, and matched his ground game both rushing at 4.4 yards a pop, and Taylor has been doing it as a backup his whole career minus 2006. Brown has never had a year with 40 or more catches, but Taylor has done it 4 times.
So either Taylor is great, or Brown solid. You pick...

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:07 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I'd consider it... Ricky will only be here 1 more year, Ronnie can't play a 16 game season if his life depended on it... so sure...

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:30 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

an opportunity to agree with Mel Kiper

There was seemingly no amount of emnity left unused by Dolphins fans for Mel Kiper when the ESPN draft guru said and insisted the Dolphins made a mistake in picking Jake Long over Matt Ryan in 2008.

So if you are a Kiper hater, you are officially excused if you -- because this post is about the loquacious man with the helmet hair.

Kiper published his first mock draft of 2010 on Wednesday and, drum roll please, he's got Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain going to the Fins at No. 12 in the first round

"A potential home run for Miami, a team that needs an inside linebacker and could get the best one in the whole draft after the top 10," Kiper writes. "The Dolphins also could go after Dez Bryant if he were to fall to them here, because they also must address WR."

Yeah Mel, they also must address NT and OLB and maybe FS. They also will need to find help at TE and maybe RB, but that might come later in the draft.

Kiper has Bryant going to the Denver Broncos at No. 11 and rationalizes their need because he believes Brandon Marshall will be traded and the team will see the need as being too important. I happen to disagree with Kiper on this.

He forgets that Marshall was not a first round pick and neither was Eddie Royal and expert personnel departments can these days identify outstanding receivers in the second and third rounds. They call them value picks. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos do not pick Bryant so high.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos do pick C.J. Spiller of Clemson because he's as much a home run threat as Bryant -- albeit in a different way -- and his intangibles and character blows Bryant out of the water.

I'm told the Dolphins are similarly impressed by Spiller and Bill Parcells especially likes him because he played a whopping 52 games in college and is quick as a lightning bolt.

I would submit to you that faced with having both McClain and Spiller on the board when they pick, the Dolphins (Parcells) would likely go with the elite defender at a position of need over the elite offensive playmaker that seems more like a luxury.

But that's just a guess based on The Big Tuna's history. He hasn't called lately to give me his draft strategy.

Meanwhile, has Dolphins' nation finally found common ground with Mel Kiper?

miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphi...d-insisted.html

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:18 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Personally I want Spiller. I think RB is a weak point for us. Ronnie gets injured too much and Ricky is getting up there in age. I think that Spillar would take a lot of the pressure off Henne to pass and thus make our offense better and keep the defense off the field.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:09 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Nah! Its all game play

Parcells is just talking up Spiller so that someone else will take him & McClain falls a little closer

All Hail the true Draft Genius! Tuna! :awe:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

moley wrote:

Kiper has Bryant going to the Denver Broncos at No. 11 and rationalizes their need because he believes Brandon Marshall will be traded and the team will see the need as being too important. I happen to disagree with Kiper on this.

This Brandon Marshall Controversy might be the best thing to happen to the dolphins, gives us a better chance of grabbing mcClain, also gives a big name wr in free agency possibility. Shaping up to be an interesting offseason

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:40 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Re: CJ Spiller
Phins Rock wrote:

Pass.

I'm not sure what defines GREAT but Brown is a good back and Ricky WAS great at one point in his career. Brown runs with a lot of heart but doesn't have that 2nd gear other backs (Stewart, Williams, Jones-Drew, Peterson, Mendenhall) have. If available I'm snatching Spiller in a heart beat and fill needs with the rest of the draft.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Pass.

I'm not sure what defines GREAT but Brown is a good back and Ricky WAS great at one point in his career. Brown runs with a lot of heart but doesn't have that 2nd gear other backs (Stewart, Williams, Jones-Drew, Peterson, Mendenhall) have. If available I'm snatching Spiller in a heart beat and fill needs with the rest of the draft.

Again, many of us rejoice that you are not our team's GM. Are you sure you're not Josh McDaniels in disguise?

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

hab321 wrote:
Personally I want Spiller. I think RB is a weak point for us. Ronnie gets injured too much and Ricky is getting up there in age. I think that Spillar would take a lot of the pressure off Henne to pass and thus make our offense better and keep the defense off the field.

Is Spiller an every down kinda RB? I don't see spending a high pick on a guy that comes in on 3rd downs and plays special teams. We already have that in Ginn currently.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:07 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Well, my thought is if McClain is off the board, TRADE DOWN..and maybe get what 1st and maybe a late 2nd or 3rd?

Spiller is an electrifying Commodity in his own right, but in my opinion not a every Down RB.
If im going to spend the #12 pick on a RB (which I wouldn't) I would have to go with Jonathan Dwyer from GT!

Dwyer- http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=236248

Spiller-http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=192151

To me Spiller is more of a situational back, but Dwyer (traditional back) would be a nice replacement for either Brown (injuries) or Williams (age).
I've seen Spiller play on numerous occasions, and the biggest knock I have about him is that he cant break a tackle, almost non-exsistant yards after first contact! If you put a hand on him he goes down!

My I deal situation would be to get McClain, if he isnt and Assuming Dez Bryant is still available trade down with ummm.. Baltimore

We get their 1st round pick, 2nd round pick and 5th round pick

Baltimore get
Our #12 ( Bryant) and Tedd Ginn..(ole Cam Cam would jump at the chance I bet)

JUST THROWING THAT OUT THERE! :grin:

Personally I wouldn't even worry about a Running back this year and If we must Draft a RB... PLEASE let it be Dexter McCluster it would give us someone like Darren Sproles!
He can even run the "wild cat".. he ran the "wild Rebel" at Ole Miss

:jests: :jests: :jests:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:53 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I'm with phins rock

I don't know if I would say Ronnie is a great back, but he has the ability to be if he stays healthy. He'd be a perennial pro bowler without the injuries.

I would call Ricky Williams a great backup.

Although I wouldn't be upset if we picked spiller (we do need playmakers) I think there is just to many other positions that need to be addressed first.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:12 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Williams is a great back, however he is getting older and will break down. He also is going to retire after next season. I would be happy to draft a quality back in this draft.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Iowafin wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Pass.

Again, many of us rejoice that you are not our team's GM. Are you sure you're not Josh McDaniels in disguise?

The difference here, he's not the only one who likes this idea lol. If McClain is gone I'm all for it.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:

The difference here, he's not the only one who likes this idea lol. If McClain is gone I'm all for it.

It gets a little more tempting in that scenario...but he would take him regardless of who else was on the board.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:17 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

"It gets a little more tempting in that scenario...but he would take him regardless of who else was on the board."

I don't think you READ very well Iowafin, I said if McClain is off board and Spiller is sitting there I would take Spiller! All of this would be VOIDED if McClain is there..... do you get it now?

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:08 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

It gets a little more tempting in that scenario...but he would take him regardless of who else was on the board.

First words in his post....

MdDolfan wrote:
If McClain is off the board

:goodjob:

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:18 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think the dark background is bringing out the evil in people on these boards, either that or the facts the the jests are still playing. Everybody is so confrontational lately.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 am

joeschmoe wrote:
I think the dark background is bringing out the evil in people on these boards, either that or the facts the the jests are still playing. Everybody is so confrontational lately.

This board is a lot milder than it used to be....

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:26 am

Lol for sure it is a lot less confrontational... but without confrontation and everyone agreeing... the board would be kinda boring no?

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:30 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

well worth watching......

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
"It gets a little more tempting in that scenario...but he would take him regardless of who else was on the board."

I don't think you READ very well Iowafin, I said if McClain is off board and Spiller is sitting there I would take Spiller! All of this would be VOIDED if McClain is there..... do you get it now?

Nah, I read just fine. I was going with the post made where you said "if available i'd snatch spiller in a heartbeat."

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:11 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Phins Rock wrote:

Pass.

C.Taylor could be a starter on anyother team he his a good player

C.J Spiller was abused in clemson they ran him to the ground he is compared to reggie bush. No I can not take another special teamer in the 1st round. He is a great talent but not at 12 too many other needs that can be filled.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:03 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

IamPZ wrote:
Lol for sure it is a lot less confrontational... but without confrontation and everyone agreeing... the board would be kinda boring no?

your right, the variety of opinions keep it interesting. The manner in which they are expressed keeps it fascinating

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]