View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Which is the greater priority: OLB or ILB? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Which is the greater priority: OLB or ILB?
Quote:
When the 2009 season ended for the Dolphins, the team obviously had issues on defense that still need addressing.

As I explained to you a couple of days ago, the linebacker corps was one of those issues. But the question is where is the bigger problem -- with the inside linebackers or outside linebackers?

Yesterday you saw Mel Kiper vote ILB as his first mock draft of the offseason had the Dolphins taking Rolando McClain of Alabama -- a tackling savant that will be an inside backer tackling machine in the NFL.

Well, lesser known Bucky Brooks of NFL.com comes back and votes OLB as Miami's bigger issue. In his first mock draft of 2010, he's got the the Dolphins taking Texas OLB Sergio Kindle at No. 12 in the first round.

One reason Brooks has the Dolphins taking Kindle might be he also has Denver taking McClain one pick before Miami.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... r-ilb.html

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:02 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Which is the greater priority: OLB or ILB?
The Fins need multiple playmakers at LB period. IMO the ILB is in need of more help because the production there is terrible.....yes at OLB the team currently has aging Porter and Tayler, but there is also more depth with Wake and Anderson......and at least your getting production out of Taylor and Porter combining for 16 sacks this season.

Ayodele and Crowder are a below average combo, with Ayodele being the weakest link at the LB position.PERIOD. ; )

If McClain(ILB) is off the board, the next best LB is Kindle(OLB).....hopefully the fins are able to get one or the other.......

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The part of the article I really agree with is how Miami must prioritize its needs.

"If you've read this blog every day (it's good for your soul) you already understand how the Dolphins break down how they go about filling out their roster. As I've told you several times in the past, they have three primary categories: Wants, Needs, Must haves.

The Must haves is the priority category. It is the category that must be filled.

The Needs is the second most important. This category is what the team needs but can extend out if lesser players are on board.

The Wants is the luxury category. The Dolphins want a running back that will be ready to step in when Ricky Williams retires and Ronnie Brown is out of contract. But the team can probably survive 2010 if it doesn't address that want."

I personally think OLB is the Must have priority on this team when choosing between OLB and ILB. Porter has to be gone after his dismal performance & big salary and JT is aging and a free agent. A better pass rush would help cover up a suspect secondary. I also think NT, WR and S are Must haves but they weren't mentioned in this thread and some of these Priorities can be addressed through free agency.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
The part of the article I really agree with is how Miami must prioritize its needs.

"If you've read this blog every day (it's good for your soul) you already understand how the Dolphins break down how they go about filling out their roster. As I've told you several times in the past, they have three primary categories: Wants, Needs, Must haves.

The Must haves is the priority category. It is the category that must be filled.

The Needs is the second most important. This category is what the team needs but can extend out if lesser players are on board.

The Wants is the luxury category. The Dolphins want a running back that will be ready to step in when Ricky Williams retires and Ronnie Brown is out of contract. But the team can probably survive 2010 if it doesn't address that want."

I personally think OLB is the Must have priority on this team when choosing between OLB and ILB. Porter has to be gone after his dismal performance & big salary and JT is aging and a free agent. A better pass rush would help cover up a suspect secondary. I also think NT, WR and S are Must haves but they weren't mentioned in this thread and some of these Priorities can be addressed through free agency.

This makes me wonder if they followed this formula with the Pat White pick?

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:50 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

AQNOR wrote:

The article fails to mention the "Must Waste a Pick" category.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:54 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:

Porter had 9 sacks. That's not exactly dismal. Don't mistake not getting 17.5 sacks for sucking.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:59 am
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

Porter had 9 sacks. That's not exactly dismal. Don't mistake not getting 17.5 sacks for sucking.

Half of those sacks were against two teams with pass protection issues. That means he had 4.5 sacks in 12 other games. And for those who actually saw the Dolphins with their own two eyes, they know Porter was consistently getting blocked one on one, even by tight ends.

His decline has been precipitous.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:05 pm

To further augment the argument that Porter is in a steep decline, he had 9 sacks (6th in the NFL for 34 OLBs) but only 11 QB pressures (22nd in the NFL for 34 OLBs) and only 5 QB hits (17th in the NFL for 34 OLBs).

Further proof that sack numbers can be misleading.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:11 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I'd go with ILB, we could make do with either JT or Porter, Akin A and Channing C just..no..

If Ro McClain is gone at #12, we'd almost have to go OLB though, the question would be do we go strongside or weakside?

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:30 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

ILB is most important the middle of our field is the weakest part of our D. DT all the ways to S need to be improved.

The Middle of our feild was destroyed all season espically by oppents TE.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:52 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Porter didn't "suck" he just fell back into the average catagory. OLB isn't a priority unless we lose both Taylor and Porter. I can't believe safety has been completely taken off the board as the top priority in the draft. ILB's can be found later in the draft if you do your homework.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Porter didn't "suck" he just fell back into the average catagory. OLB isn't a priority unless we lose both Taylor and Porter. I can't believe safety has been completely taken off the board as the top priority in the draft. ILB's can be found later in the draft if you do your homework.

Anything can be found later in the draft if you do your homework.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:14 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

:)

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:16 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

Half of those sacks were against two teams with pass protection issues. That means he had 4.5 sacks in 12 other games. And for those who actually saw the Dolphins with their own two eyes, they know Porter was consistently getting blocked one on one, even by tight ends.

His decline has been precipitous.

I'm not arguing that he hasn't declined, but it seems to me that his woes have been far overstated.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should definitely be looking for his replacement, but he hasn't been as bad as many would make him out to be.

And don't try the "for those who have seen the games with their own 2 eyes" bit with me Rich. Some of those who rely on a net cast to see the games perhaps, but I watch every game, sometimes twice (when it doesn't make me sick to my stomach).

You're not the only fan in the world you know.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm torn.

Porter and Taylor had an average, at best, season and we need to get pass rush help badly. Our guys had a high total this season (I think we were 3rd in the league), but we disappeared at crucial times all season.

After Ferg left for the season, we were gashed up the middle badly. I'm not all down on Crowder whose biggest problem is that he isn't Zack Thomas, like so many here on the board, but we do need to solidify the position for the future.

The entirety of the middle of the D from the line through the FS was torn to pieces all season.

So the question is big pass rush or solidify middle. Between those 2 I would have to ultimately say solidify the middle, but wouldn't be upset if we targeted an OLB first.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Neither.....it is WR.

Man.....will we ever get our post status back.....I have been on the boards for years....donated cash.....made over 1500 posts.....and yeah, I guess it isn't any worse than not seeing the Dolphins win a playoff game in all those years....

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:38 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

If McClain is off the board, I think you need to go pass rusher, whether we trade down or not.

I agree with what you just said eleaf. I think you need to solidify the middle. Right now you need to add somebody to team up with Crowder in the middle; he needs to be a 3-down linebacker who can run laterally and make some plays. That's why I'm against Spikes.

You might also need an OLB though. JT on one side, and, assuming we cut ties with JP, we need somebody to play the other side. Will Wake be ready? Can either Moses or Anderson play well consistently in a base at OLB? Those are very iffy questions.

I think our first two picks need to be devoted to LBs's in the draft, or at least 2 out of our first 3...that's if we don't get anybody in FA, which I can't see us doing to be honest.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree linebacker is a huge need.....but WR has been a need for about 5 years or so. Worse yet, our secondary still seems to stink badly....so a safety is needed as well. I can see us looking for WR, safety and LB in the first three rounds....and we will take BPA at those positions when it is our turn to pick (or so we would hope...Pat White.....Pat White?????? :) ).

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:51 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I agree linebacker is a huge need.....but WR has been a need for about 5 years or so. Worse yet, our secondary still seems to stink badly....so a safety is needed as well. I can see us looking for WR, safety and LB in the first three rounds....and we will take BPA at those positions when it is our turn to pick (or so we would hope...Pat White.....Pat White?????? :) ).

The thing about drafting a WR is that, it is not what Miami needs right now. We're not in need of another young WR who will take time to develop. We need to go out and get a veteran; if we're unable to, oh well.

I really think the draft needs to be devoted to LB's, especially with the current trend of the last few years with LB's making huge impacts early on.

I think Clemons is going to be a fine FS. I really think that the only 2 positions we should be seriously considering with our early picks, (unless there is a generation type of a player avail. at 12), are LB and NT. And NT is really not a position BP drafts early on.
I wouldn't mind seeing a playmaking TE drafted though.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

OLB is old but very deep. ILB is dumb and very shallow. ILB is #1 priority for the whole team imo.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

I agree with both of you 100%. That one really makes you shake your head and was on Parcells watch.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
OLB is old but very deep. ILB is dumb and very shallow. ILB is #1 priority for the whole team imo.

I'm not sure we're very deep at all at OLB. JT isn't under contract right now for next season, and I would be more surprised to see Porter stay than get released (traded, whatever). That's our 2 starters. And we got nothing behind them. Anderson does okay, but we don't have anyone else who isn't a liability. Wake, although easily our most talented pass rusher, apparently is terrible against both the run and in coverage (as gifted as he is at rushing the passer, he can't very well rush the passer every down).

We do need to address OLB sooner than later. If a top flight ILB (I.e., McClain) isn't on the board at 12, we definitely should seriously going OLB at that point (a 3 down version, not just a pass rush specialist - we already have one of those).

If we do have the opportunity to grab McClain at 12, we need to concentrate on OLBs in round 2.

Of course, BAA is the best policy in every round.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]