View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Miami Herald:Position battles shaping up 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Miami Herald:Position battles shaping up
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/23/1 ... grabs.html

Quote:
• Players have raved about Kory Sheets, and if he's impressive on kickoff returns he will put serious heat on Lex Hilliard for the No. 4 running back job. Though Patrick Cobbs said he's not 100 percent after last year's knee injury, Sparano emphasized recently how much he was missed. With Ted Ginn Jr. now in San Francisco, Cobbs might end up handling kickoffs again, as he did early last year.

• Don't be certain the fifth receiver is on the roster. Not only is injured Patrick Turner uncertain about his status for camp, but a teammate said Turner previously hasn't shown the urgency or work ethic of the other receivers. Two teammates were skeptical about him sticking long-term. Ryan Grice-Mullen has a legitimate chance.

• There's good competition among the defensive front seven, where Miami began last season with seven linemen and nine linebackers. Eleven jobs appear secure; Tony McDaniel is likely a 12th.

That leaves potentially two linebackers to choose among Quentin Moses (good chance), Erik Walden (special teams value), seventh-rounders Austin Spitler and Chris McCoy (Spitler has drawn more positive reviews), and J.D. Folsom (Dolphins people say he's improved). Of those, Spitler and Folsom play inside linebacker, where four players are ahead of them; Miami kept only three to start 2009

And they already have 3 ilb's in Dobbins, Dansby and Crowder.

Interesting about Sheets pushing Hilliard, Lex has nice size, Sheets is far more explosive.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:42 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Miami Herald:Position battles shaping up
padre31 wrote:
• Don't be certain the fifth receiver is on the roster. Not only is injured Patrick Turner uncertain about his status for camp, but a teammate said Turner previously hasn't shown the urgency or work ethic of the other receivers. Two teammates were skeptical about him sticking long-term. Ryan Grice-Mullen has a legitimate chance.

Ryan Grice-Mullen is in a good position. He and Bess will be a very deadly pair in the slot. They possibly could be more dangerous then Welker and Edelman.

padre31 wrote:

You forgot Edds.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:14 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I think Folsom lands on the practice squad along with Spitler. Miami is going to carry 4 ILB's after what happened last season.

I think at OLB you're looking at Wake, Misi, Anderson, Moses and McCoy.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:20 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
I think Folsom lands on the practice squad along with Spitler. Miami is going to carry 4 ILB's after what happened last season.

Not sure Folsom can go on the PS.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:02 pm

hypocritex wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Not sure Folsom can go on the PS.

If I'm not mistaken he was only active for 3 games last year, so, he should still be eligible. Could be wrong.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

padre31 wrote:
Sheets is far more explosive.

If that's the case, it shouldn't be a competition.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:31 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
padre31 wrote:

Disagree. Hilliard is a ST ace. Much like Cobbs. If Sheets can't do what Hilliard can do there.. We all know SIP values the ST contributors. The guys who do all the jobs. Not to mention Hilliard is WORLDS better at blocking then Sheets has been in the past. With that being said.. Yeah, if Sheets can improve his blocking and be close to what Hilliard means to ST. Then I say lets see more Sheets. It will be tough. My guess is Pat Cobbs will begin the year on the PUP. He won't likely stay there though. So I can imagine that time frame will be used to decide who we want between Hilliard and Sheets. In an ideal world.. We keep both. Especially with Ronnie likely not being here next year.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:18 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:

I think we stick with 3 ILB's PR, the backup will be Dobbins or Crowder, so we have plenty of depth.

I suspect Spitler has a real shot at making the 45 man game day roster replacing Cam Wake on ST, he was a ST daemon at OSU and is quite probably our best ST prospect since Larry Izzo.

Imho McCoy is on a steep incline to beat out Q Moses.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:33 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

finfan808 wrote:
padre31 wrote:

Ryan Grice-Mullen is in a good position. He and Bess will be a very deadly pair in the slot. They possibly could be more dangerous then Welker and Edelman.

padre31 wrote:

You forgot Edds.

RGM has a real shot at making the roster, but like Sheets he probably has to show explosive return ability to make it.

And you're right, Edds is penciled in as the Nickel Lb, which also means he takes over Torbor's role, but then again, they added Dobbins..which could mean Channing is in a bad place as Dobbins just signed an extension, they have gushed about Edds, where would Channing fit?

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:36 pm

padre31 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I think we stick with 3 ILB's PR, the backup will be Dobbins or Crowder, so we have plenty of depth.

I don't think so. Dansby and Crowder are your starters, but then you've got Dobbins as your back-up to those guys and AJ Edds as your 3rd down guy. All of them are locks to make the roster. There just is not room for Spitler or Folsom. But Miami definitely keeps 4.

If Spitler does make the roster, I'm with you in that I hope he replaces Wake on ST's. Wake needs to be using his energy on playing an every down role for Miami.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hypocritex wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
padre31 wrote:

Hilliard is a ST ace.

Well, I don't agree with that, but my comment was tongue and cheek. Sheets is not "far more explosive," and I'd be willing to guarantee he doesn't make the team. I don't know who said it, but everyone sure is drinking the kool-aid that says Kory Sheets is super fast and quick. He's not.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuFl248NsUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT0tHb-m ... re=related

Yeah, not explosive at all...

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuFl248NsUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT0tHb-m ... re=related

Yeah, not explosive at all...

If you're being sarcastic and trying to prove a point, you failed miserably. A long run with a ton of bad angles doesn't prove anything....in fact, that video just showed his lack of endurance...did you see him run out of gas?
That first video it was hard to see what happened, but it just looked like a falling defensive end and Sheets went the other way; a standard play.

I didn't say he wasn't explosive at all...He's not as explosive as those on this board give him credit. He's not more explosive than Lex Hilliard.
Go ahead and show me the highlights of Sheets in the NFL instead of his freshman year in college.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Sheets does not have any NFL highlights except for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaxA7bmUF_k

But you're telling me Lex Hilliard is capable of this?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhoP5LhoR0w

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

My point exactly.
Quote:

Yes. A lot of running back can run through a wide open hole, the only thing impressive about that was tight roping the sideline.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:54 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Phins Rock wrote:

Yeah... I'd say he is... from what I've seen Hilliard is just a different style of runner... but he can blow through a guy... Sheets on the other hand... I'm not so sure he could blow his nose.

Too much hype for a kid from some other scrub teams practice squad.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Come on dude. Sheets has 4.3-4.4 speed. Hilliard is an OK depth guy that has decent burst, but Lex couldn't dream of having that type of speed and balance....Just look at these combine numbers, iowa:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/502821

Kory is explosive man, the most explosive RB on our roster in terms of flat out athleticism. Let's see if he can use it on KR's.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:00 pm

IamPZ wrote:

49ers fans were UP-SET when they put him on the PS and Miami picked him up. A lot of people thought he could be a Barry Sanders type of runner.

I've had convo's with him on twitter, and the only thing that worries me is that he does not seem very committed.

BTW, I hate your new sig. How could those 'mm mm good!'s taint themselves with those colors? Gross.....
:ann0y:

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:03 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

padre31 wrote:
.....where would Channing fit?

I'm not really sure. But, of all the LB's Crowder seems to be the most versatile. He could actually play all 4 spots.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

A lot of people thought he could be a Barry Sanders type of runner.

Well then there are a lot of idiots.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:40 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

A lot of people thought he could be a Barry Sanders type of runner.

Well then there are a lot of idiots.

:) :) :)

Face it iowa, the guy is explosive. He's not Barry Sanders, but the guy has game.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

49ers fans were UP-SET when they put him on the PS and Miami picked him up. A lot of people thought he could be a Barry Sanders type of runner.

I've had convo's with him on twitter, and the only thing that worries me is that he does not seem very committed.

BTW, I hate your new sig. How could those 'mm mm good!'s taint themselves with those colors? Gross.....
:ann0y:

They have true pride baby... true pride :yay:

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:14 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

if sheets makes this team ,which 1 of hilliard or cobbs goes?

very similar players in some ways ,good runners ,good receiving skills ,good special teams play

cobbs plays in the wildcat ,but hilliard at a push could back up at fb , will cobbs be ready for season after his injury???

at the moment its a flip of a coin for me

imo its more likely RGM beats out pat turner at wr and picks up the dutys of kick returner
like i said in another post it be a shame to loose 1 of hilliard,cobbs,or sheets for nothing

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:35 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

moley wrote:
....it be a shame to loose 1 of hilliard,cobbs,or sheets for nothing

I think it depends on what happens with Brown. There are indications that he may not be back. With Williams on the downside of his career I think they keep all of them. Hilliard could actually help himself more if he could double as a FB. But, IMO, Brown is gone after this year.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:27 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Face it iowa, the guy is explosive. He's not Barry Sanders, but the guy has game.

I still have to take Iowas side here... I mean very little tape was provided to show any sort of explosiveness, and the videos that were provided he wasn't doing anything that a NFL RB shouldn't be doing anyways.

This is the highest level of football you can get to, if you can't pull off big runs and amazing moves, then you shouldn't be here.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:47 am

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I still have to take Iowas side here... I mean very little tape was provided to show any sort of explosiveness, and the videos that were provided he wasn't doing anything that a NFL RB shouldn't be doing anyways.

This is the highest level of football you can get to, if you can't pull off big runs and amazing moves, then you shouldn't be here.

Steven Jackson has never had a 60+ yard run. Ronnie isn't going to bust any big runs either. Yet both are two of the best in the game.

I'm not trying to say that Sheets is as good a RB as Hilliard, or that he's as good a pure runner. Iowa is just saying that Lex is more explosive, insinuating that he is faster, quicker and more agile, which is just not the case at all. Lex is a 4.6-4.7 guy, while Kory is a speedster with outstanding open field quickness and speed.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:51 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

finfan808 wrote:
moley wrote:
....it be a shame to loose 1 of hilliard,cobbs,or sheets for nothing

I think it depends on what happens with Brown. There are indications that he may not be back. With Williams on the downside of his career I think they keep all of them. Hilliard could actually help himself more if he could double as a FB. But, IMO, Brown is gone after this year.

agree totally but can we?
i would have traded ronnie this off season!!

have we room on roster?

we may have 4 qb`s on roster as well?

Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]