View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 State attorney officially files charges against Dolphins DE 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post State attorney officially files charges against Dolphins DE
Quote:
by Ben Volin

The Dolphins open their 2010 training camp in 12 days, but defensive end Phillip Merling has bigger things to worry about.

The state attorney’s office in Broward County officially filed felony charges against Merling on Friday for aggravated battery on a victim he should have known was pregnant. No court date has been set (it will likely be set within a week), but prosecutor Sarahnell Murphy found enough evidence that Merling, 25, battered his pregnant girlfriend to move forward with the case.

Merling, though, apparently is not in the good graces of his bosses. A report from Pro Football Weekly states that Merling is on “thin ice” with the Dolphins, and that was before he was arrested in May. Merling, the 32nd overall pick in 2008, has just 3.5 sacks and four starts in two NFL seasons, and his subpar performance forced the Dolphins to take Jared Odrick in the first round of this past April’s draft.

Merling is signed through next season, but should the Dolphins cut Merling, they would save about $1.3 million in base salary he is due over the next two years.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... p-merling/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:52 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: State attorney officially files charges against Dolphins DE
Ben Volin wrote:
Merling ... is on “thin ice” with the Dolphins .... has just 3.5 sacks and four starts in two NFL seasons .... his subpar performance forced the Dolphins to take Jared Odrick in the first round of this past April’s draft.

What a disappointment for a former first round pick of ours. Still, I would think that Merling would give our starters a breather.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I will wait and reserve judgment on his guilt, but I won't be surprised if he is cut before the season starts.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Ben Volin wrote:
Merling ... is on “thin ice” with the Dolphins .... has just 3.5 sacks and four starts in two NFL seasons .... his subpar performance forced the Dolphins to take Jared Odrick in the first round of this past April’s draft.

What a disappointment for a former first round pick of ours. Still, I would think that Merling would give our starters a breather.

Technically, he was a second round pick... but he was the 32nd overall. It was the year the Cheatriots had their first round pick taken away.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:00 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I am definitely biased towards the Dolphins. But this has nothing to do with football. I have a big big problem with anyone willing to hit a pregnant woman multiple times in the face.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:08 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

catman_56 wrote:
I am definitely biased towards the Dolphins. But this has nothing to do with football. I have a big big problem with anyone willing to hit a pregnant woman multiple times in the face.

Willing to hit a woman at all (minus an obvious self defense situation).

He could do up to 15 years if convicted... he probably wont... but stranger things have happened (ie: Plaxico Burress)

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]