View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Crazy idea 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Crazy idea
Just wondering about the status of Roy Williams. He has a monster contract, has been phased out of the Cowboys' offense, and has been a rumored possible cut. I'm not sure about his hands so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if those earlier factors are his ticket out of Dallas then why not offer Ted Ginn and a very late round pick for him? This idea is obviously loaded with assumption but some key factors make me wonder if it could happen under the radar. Williams has the size and strength Miami is looking for, their is obviously a relationship between Jones and Parcells/Ireland, and Ted Ginn would be an intriguing guy to add to that offense without the pressure of being a number 1. Austin and Witten will obviously be the main targets and they have an established ground attack. What the heck, I've seen worse ideas in the past.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:13 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Crazy idea
They gave up alot for him

Quote:
The Cowboys will give up a first-round pick in 2009, plus a third- and sixth-rounder that year for Williams and a seventh-round pick in '10.

The Cowboys and Williams agreed to a five-year extension worth $45 million, including more than $20 million guaranteed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3643295

2009 he had 38 receptions for 598 yards......

I guess he would first have to agree to a new contract, cause I dont see this staff shelling out that kind of money for another WR that could possibly be the return of Wilford...

I think the Wilford deal is too fresh for them to jump on a high $ FA or trade....

IMO giving up Ginn + a pick to pay this guy that kind of $ is foolish...

Chances are the Cowboys will release him this off season or next if he doesnt perform.... Miles Austin is the top WR in Dallas for now....

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:17 am
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

10acjed wrote:
I guess he would first have to agree to a new contract, cause I dont see this staff shelling out that kind of money for another WR that could possibly be the return of Wilford...

The Dolphins wouldn't be on the hook for the signing bonus if they traded for him.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:37 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Why is he not getting more passes? I view him as a #1/#2 WR, but he has the ability to be a #1 WR. Romo does not have a lot of confidence in him. When you are getting your butts handed to you by the Vikings in the playoffs, you would think he'd target him more than once. I wonder what Williams' practice habits are. This is the 2nd franchise that has lost faith in him. I've seen him when his game is "on", and he can make some great plays. I can see the 'boys unloading him due to the $20 million he had guaranteed. What is left in the last 3 years? And I am sure he'd have to redo that contract with us. With all that said I would be game for this.

Quote:
Roy Williams Upset with Lack of Involvement --
Mon Jan 18, 2010 --from FFMastermind.com

The frustrations of Dallas Cowboys WR Roy Williams surfaced following the team's 34-3 loss playoff to the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday. Williams finished the game without a catch and was targeted only once. When asked if the Cowboys called any plays for him, he told ESPNDallas.com, "No. Hell no." Williams has endured a subpar season in which he caught just 38 passes for 596 yards and seven touchdowns. He had four games with one catch and two in which he was shut out. Once the postseason began, Williams was hoping he would be more involved in the offense. In the NFC wild card win against the Philadelphia Eagles, he had five catches for 59 yards and no touchdowns. Williams dismissed the production, saying the Eagles' frequent blitzes were the reason he was targeted. Against the Vikings, QB Tony Romo's only throw to Williams came on a first-down play in the first quarter. Romo was under pressure and got knocked down on the play. "I didn't get a ball today, and I didn't get a look at today. It just happens," Williams said. "It's frustrating. It pisses me off, especially when we lose and especially when I feel like I have a mismatch. I got a 5-10 corner [covering me, Dontonio Wingfield], but hey, you know, I will continue to work hard in the offseason and it will come back around."

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Is the 20 mil a bonus or just guaranteed money? Is there a difference?

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:31 am
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

If he is cut, then I could see the the fins taking a look at him.......I could also see a trade for him if the pick is like a 4th rounder or something?

if traded I believe any signing bonus counts against the team that traded him away, and the remainder of that bonus counts immediately against that teams cap.......with next season being uncapped that won't be an issue for the Cowboys.

The team he is traded to has to pay the guaranteed money left on the contract. If the contract includes roster bonuses or statistical bonuses, then whoever he is playing for has to pay those out.

I believe that is how it works? If anyone knows better feel free to correct me here.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:30 am
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Talk about unreliable *ahem PZ*....;p

Roy Williams has the ability to be a big time WR, unfortunately he is just too unreliable, and cannot run all the routes a number 1 needs to be able to run. He is surprisingly slow, (not so much in terms of speed but in terms of quickness). Every time I watch him play it just seems like he wants the CB to under-cut the route.

And he is known as a clown and not much of a hard worker.....so no thanks. Not even worth a roster spot, IMO.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:18 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

If he's cut let's take a look....why offer Ginn? Ginn needs a Roy Williams type to help him out.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:06 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:19 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

LOL

This thread took a turn for the worse ;)

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:32 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:10 pm

How did this happen?

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:11 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

i guess a picture is worth a thousand words

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
i guess a picture is worth a thousand words

Yeah, considering there are twice as many bad plays than good plays that Ginn has made.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:30 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

No thanks on Roy Williams.....he is not the player we are looking for.

Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin or a 1st round rookie.......in that order.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:41 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Not a Roy fan.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:07 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Maybe if the Cowboys give us a 1st, a 3rd, and a 6th to take him. Otherwise: No.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:12 pm
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Roy Williams is over rated. Let the Cowboys keep him & as they just extended Phillips contract a super bowl is not in their immediate future.
Hopefully we can draft a decent receiver ... going the FA route just seems like we will over pay for someone coming out of his prime ... but I guess that is what free agency really is all about.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]