View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Could Ikaika Alama-Francis become Miami Dolphins starter? 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Could Ikaika Alama-Francis become Miami Dolphins starter?
Quote:
by: Omar Kelly

On Friday, Alama-Francis, who spent his first three seasons in the NFL as a defensive tackle for the Lions, was working as a strong side linebacker. And not just with the scrub unit. He was actually paired with Charlie Anderson as the second-teamer, leapfrogging Quentin Moses, Erik Walden and Chris McCoy.

I actually watched him drop into coverage for a few snaps on Friday and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth his backpedal was for a player listed at 6-foot-5, 290 pounds.

The coaches must have saw the same thing because on Saturday morning Alama-Francis, who played his college ball at Hawaii before the Lions made him a second-round selection in 2007, was working with the starters. He was paired with Cameron Wake in the morning session. He was one of two depth chart changes (Joe Berger working as the starter center was the other) that took place Saturday morning.

That’s right. Alama-Francis is working in front of rookie outside linebacker Koa Misi, who struggled somewhat going against the team’s starting tackles on Friday (exactly what did you expect to happen when he took on Jake Long?).

More: http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... arter.html

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Could Ikaika Alama-Francis become Miami Dolphins starter?
As a through his adolescent years, Alama-Francis played Volleyball and Basketball for Kalaheo High School. He was an All-State Selection in both sports. Entering his Freshmen year at Hawaii he walked on to play basketball. A year later he walked on the football team at 6-6 215. He sparingly played until his Junior season when he bulked up to 270. His senior year he weighed closer to 290. He was strictly a Defensive end in College. That being said, if he dropped some weight, he could be a good strong side OLB.

He has the pedigree, his father Joe Francis, was a back QB to Bart Starr

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:42 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Sparano said he is down to 275. My guess is they will get him down to 270 or 265.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I would say he makes the roster, but as a starter? I'm going with Quentin Moses.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:35 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

he could well be a starter!! ,who would have thought that the stiff not agile matt roth would have been a starter for us
a year or 2 ago ,

saying that if misi starts? i cant see us starting 2 rookies basically at OLB!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:48 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

moley wrote:
he could well be a starter!! ,who would have thought that the stiff not agile matt roth would have been a starter for us
a year or 2 ago ,

saying that if misi starts? i cant see us starting 2 rookies basically at OLB!!!

Well, keep in mind Nolan uses lots of LB/Dline packages, he had 6 Lb's with more than 300 snaps each, 4 with over 400 snaps, compared to 5 in Miami, but with only 3 who had over 400 snaps.

Basically in 09 the Lb corps was Crowder, Taylor, Porter, Ayodele..and then everyone else, the Starters played the vast majority of the snaps, in Denver the only starter who played as often was DJ Williams.

huge differences between the two DefCords:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/cstats. ... =a&stats=d

http://www.profootballfocus.com/cstats. ... =a&stats=d

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He may make the roster. He's a former 2nd round pick of the Lions and probably has good pass rushing skills since he is a converted DE.

As far as him being a starter .... come on. This is probably another Sparano/Parcells head-game to push the starters.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
He may make the roster. He's a former 2nd round pick of the Lions and probably has good pass rushing skills since he is a converted DE.

As far as him being a starter .... come on. This is probably another Sparano/Parcells head-game to push the starters.

I don't think so Dave. You don't change a guys position full time to play head games with the other guys. He's very mobile and has looked good in coverage according to the beat writers. So far so good. He could stick. Start? Not likely, but you never know.. He's been with the 1st team some thus far.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:14 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Big Dave wrote:

I doubt he works his way into the starting role, I do think Nolan rotates linebackers enough that he has a shot to make more of an impact than Q moses and his 43 snaps ever did.

Especially if he can play ST well, which is another thing Q never did in 3 seasons.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]