All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:03 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

So far, Miami has brought in or checked out Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, and Lamar Jackson of the big six, Darnold and Mason Rudolph have been conspicously absent.

The rumors persist that they would trade up to take Mayfield, and grab Rosen if he fell in the first round.

While my opinion hasn't changed on Mayfield (he's the only qb I would draft) or Josh Allen (he's a bust), I am starting to rethink on Josh Rosen. I think he's almost the perfect qb to run the system Gase wants to run here in Miami, and may have a higher upside than a healthy Tannehill. I might be excited if we grabbed him.

The question I keep asking myself, is would I really want Miami to trade up and burn off the draft capital to get one should they fall?

The Jets traded 3 2nd round picks to move up from #5 to #3. Buffalo is rumored to have a potential deal in place with the Giants to move up to #2 for six picks. (I'm guessing two 1st rounders, 2 2nd's, a 3rd and a 4th)

If it goes like I think, all 4 qb's go in the top 6 picks with Denver not taking one because the one they want goes in the first three, and it's Rosen that falls to #6, Indy would take our 1st this year, our 2nd this year, and a 1st next year so we could grab Rosen.

I'm not sure I'd want us to do that because I'm looking at this year as Gase's prove it year. While I can sort of excuse last year due to multiple circumstances, I question whether Gase is really head coach material. I specifically question his ability to evalute talent and to use the talent he has to their best strengths. Not to mention, I'm not a fan of the wide 9 defense.

I'd rather grab a playmaker on defense with our first round pick and think about qb next year. (We should of course draft one this year in the later rounds.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I'm only adding this for those who thought we have a major dysfunction in our FO.

An inside scoop of Browns' war room:

Quote:
Apparently, there is already a major rift between the offensive coaches & the top personnel execs regarding the pick at 1 and ranking the QBs. It's likely irreconcilable.

Todd Haley, Ken Zampese, Hue Jackson, and Al Saunders (he's become a de facto QB scout) are united in the belief that Josh Rosen is their guy, clear cut by a wide margin. The combine interview only confirmed this and they are all in. They all agree that Sam Darnold is their number 2, but there are some disagreements between the coaches on who is 3rd as some say Baker Mayfield while others surprisingly say Lamar Jackson. All the coaches apparently have Josh Allen 5th.

The only personnel execs that mostly agree with the coaches are Eliot Wolf & Andrew Berry with Wolf having Darnold as QB1 and AB having had Darnold at 1 precombine but put Rosen ahead at 1 after the interview as Darnold tanked the interview and had no presence on the white board

The rest of the top personnel staff (John Dorsey, Scot McCloughan--yes he's a top staffer) along with Paul DePodesta have Baker Mayfield as their clear cut leader by a wide margin. The personnel guys then have Josh Allen number 2. Followed by Sam Darnold at 3 and Josh Rosen at 4. Paul DePo supposedly has it Baker, Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, & Allen.

As a temporary compromise just to keep the peace while much draft work is still to be done, the coaches and personnel execs are now strongly discussing that they will take their number 1 player on the big board Bradley Chubb at #1 overall and their QB at 4.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Wish I could take credit for this - one idea floating around is that Miami recognizes it could be facing any of these big named QBs over the next decade and are basically getting early scouting reports. The Jets and Bills will most certainly be taking a top QB. The Patriots now have the draft capital to move up, or, have been tied to Lamar Jackson, Mason Rudolph and Kyle Lauletta.

I have no doubt they initially did their homework to see if one of these guys was worth it if he fell to 11 or if they could trade up. But the continued, extensive homework really could be a case of getting a read on what they may be up against.

How many times have official visits or interviews been to get information about a teammate? A lot quite frankly. This is a game of deception and we have no idea where Miami is truly leaning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:28 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
How many times have official visits or interviews been to get information about a teammate? A lot quite frankly. This is a game of deception and we have no idea where Miami is truly leaning.

Last year, we drafted a guy we didn't bring in or meet in Harris.

All of this has me wondering if the big 4 go in the top five picks if we trade up to get Barkley.

Quote:
Miami recognizes it could be facing any of these big named QBs over the next decade and are basically getting early scouting reports.

Which would be smart because it looks like at least two of these guys are coming to our division. Though if the Bills pay the price to move up, theirs will be sitting for a year. They have three holes on their OL and won't have the picks to fill them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:35 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:
Which would be smart because it looks like at least two of these guys are coming to our division.

If Ben Albright is correct with his info he has the top of the draft going one of these ways:

Cle - Darnold
Buf - Allen
NY - Mayfield

Or

Cle - Allen
NY - Darnold
NY - Mayfield
Buf - Rosen (although Cleveland could sit tight and take Chubb putting Denver in a tight spot to pick Rosen, a top defender, or trade back)

Buffalo could also sit tight and overdraft Lamar Jackson at 12, and overdraft is a subjective statement. He seems to be getting a ton of late love like Pat Mahomes did at this time last year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:28 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Just in the past few days I've started seeing Rudolph and Jackson in the first round. That would be 6 QBs. Wow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
If Ben Albright is correct with his info he has the top of the draft going one of these ways:

Cle - Darnold
Buf - Allen
NY - Mayfield

Or

Cle - Allen
NY - Darnold
NY - Mayfield
Buf - Rosen (although Cleveland could sit tight and take Chubb putting Denver in a tight spot to pick Rosen, a top defender, or trade back)

With the draft just a couple weeks away, I'm just a bit surprised that the Browns have not announced their pick already. I cannot believe that it will not be Sam Darnold. He is the one quarterback who could step right in and start .... well, for any team but the Browns. They are the one team with a worst reputation than us. How does a coach go 0-16 in his second year (1-31 in two years) and still have a job? Even Cam Cameron lucked out a win (and cursed us with the Ravens as they've been getting revenge on us ever since). Are they trying to generate trade interest? I haven't heard any recent rumors about a trade offer for the overall #1 spot.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:24 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:

Cle - Darnold
Buf - Allen
NY - Mayfield

Or

Cle - Allen
NY - Darnold
NY - Mayfield

With the draft just a couple weeks away, I'm just a bit surprised that the Browns have not announced their pick already. I cannot believe that it will not be Sam Darnold. He is the one quarterback who could step right in and start .... well, for any team but the Browns. They are the one team with a worst reputation than us. How does a coach go 0-16 in his second year (1-31 in two years) and still have a job? Even Cam Cameron lucked out a win (and cursed us with the Ravens as they've been getting revenge on us ever since). Are they trying to generate trade interest? I haven't heard any recent rumors about a trade offer for the overall #1 spot.

The reports listed earlier in the thread about the Browns top brass not being in agreement on which QB is top is interesting. I think it's really possible that at least at this time THEY don't know who they will pick. I heard a discussion on Sirius about this the other day; someone suggested they might take Barkley first and see which QB falls to them at #4.

A QB desperate team passes on a QB with #1 overall pick because they don't know who they like best? Yeah, they're even more dysfunctional than us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:09 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Come on, Browns. Quit playing around.

https://twitter.com/CharleyCasserly/sta ... 9149347840

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The issue with this year's QB crop is none emerged as a must-have top pick. Bradford, Stafford, Luck, Winston, Mariota, Goff, Wentz...all of these guys separated themselves from the pack both during their final college season and early in the evaluation process.

Mayfield's season should have separated him but there are still questions about arm talent, system he played in and obviously his height. Otherwise he'd be QB1.

Darnold has the best skillset but left a few things to be desired on the field. He might struggle for a couple of seasons if thrust into a starting role.

Allen's number and film do not bode well for him succeeding in the NFL.

Rosen is like Goff in that his arm talent and accuracy are top notch, but did he ever do it in the clutch? Plus he has attitude and injury issues which Goff did not.

I can see why Cleveland might go down to the wire to make sure they get the right guy. Problem is they have the wrong head coach. I liked Jackson at one time but he is too stubborn to succeed. He probably could have come in to a team with some established talent, but I don't see him as a guy who can build a club.

After that long rant I will add that if Cleveland picks Allen I would be on the phone with New York offering almost every pick to move up to 2 and get Darnold. Give up 3 first rounders, Devante Parker, Jawuan James, whatever they ask. You'll have to make an absurd offer to A. convince them not to take Darnold and B. eclipse anything Buffalo can offer this year.

Back in 2012 I called people nuts for saying Miami should move Heaven and Earth to get RG III because you don't obliterate your draft capital for one guy. At that time Miami's roster was getting cleaned out. I'm much more comfortable with the young talent Miami has now compared to then so I would sign off on that deal. Can't move Tannehill's contract until next year after the current restructure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
The issue with this year's QB crop is none emerged as a must-have top pick. Bradford, Stafford, Luck, Winston, Mariota, Goff, Wentz...all of these guys separated themselves from the pack both during their final college season and early in the evaluation process.

This...

I can understand the dilemma Brown's face. Anyone of the top 4 could be that great franchise qb a team needs, and anyone of them could be a bust. Or something in between. Yet, drafting Chubbs to bookend your DL with Garrett will give you a killer pass rush, that's something you have to think about hard. On the other hand, all 4 are different enough you should be able to pick one that suits the offense you want to run. If we were facing that situation, I think it's an easy pick for us. Rosen fits best in the offense Gase wants to run. That Cleveland traded for Tyrod points to Mayfield as their pick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Serious talk about Rosen being the guy to slide in the draft. If he is available at 11 Miami will probably pounce. Heck, if he slides past Denver Miami may look to move up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:40 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Serious talk about Rosen being the guy to slide in the draft. If he is available at 11 Miami will probably pounce. Heck, if he slides past Denver Miami may look to move up.

:) I've been trying to dissect that rumor all day.

The only way I see that happening is if Cleveland takes Darnold or Mayfield, the Giants stay put and take Barkley or Chubbs, the Jets take whichever one Cleveland doesn't take, then Cleveland takes whichever the Giants don't take at #4, and Denver doesn't like Rosen. Allen is the one I see sliding.

BTW Jammer, CK Parrotthead compared Chris Streveler to Garappolo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:11 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I agree Apatos. If every analyst can dissect Allen that way then the GMs/scouts have to know he is more late 1st early 2nd type than 1st overall pick.

As for Streveler, I have no idea.

Gase supposedly wants guys who are football first and fully invested. The commentary on Rosen from his coach is that he has interests all over the map (I believe his description was typical millennial). Gase has been clearing these guys out. So how does Rosen make sense as the one he truly wants? I don't get it but I'm not going to doubt guys like Pauline and Albright who have been spot on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:15 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

CKParrothead review on Chris Streveler:

Quote:
At different times I've wanted to compare Kyle Lauletta to Jimmy Garoppolo and there's something to that but there's probably a guy that fits the Jimmy comparison a little better.

As someone that adored Garoppolo coming out, here's what made Jimmy the prospect he was. These were the key traits that made you know that you were talking about Jimmy Garoppolo:

1. Operated a BLINDING speed offense at the FCS level. It was an Art Briles offense on cocaine. The speed with which Jimmy organized and orchestrated it was just flat impressive.

2. He had the quickest god darn feet in the draft, and the quickest god darn delivery in the draft. Nobody had more active feet. Nobody had a quicker punch delivery. Though his arm strength was marginal NFL caliber.

3. He had fantastic post-snap execution at all levels, whether you're talking hand-offs, fakes, movement, or accuracy, though his shot selection was predominated by shorter throws. His total execution and offensive management were very much like an upper level point guard in the NBA.

4. Though his feet were quick enough to feel like he should be able to do damage this way, he was really not very managing pressure in the backfield. I had a pretty good argument with Sigmund Bloom about this, as Bloom and Matt Waldman were convinced it was so bad as to be impossible for Jimmy to end up a good pro, and I thought they were making too big a deal of something that was there, but not fatal.

So as I look around the guy who actually reminds me of all this is...Chris Streveler.

1. He operated a high speed hurry up offense.
2. He has the quickest delivery in the draft.
3. He's a full offense execution guy, dual threat, whole offense is basically on his shoulders.
4. Unlike Jimmy, he actually does VERY well with bodies in the backfield.

It's just been really fun to watch and track Chris Streveler's career. I could really go on and on about the guy. He's just one of those prospects.

Here's a highlight of final game as a collegiate athlete. Note what you're watching here. Jeremiah Briscoe of Sam Houston State made it rain all over the South Dakota defense in the first half, and I believe went out to a 41-14 halftime lead. Streveler was very vocal at the half with the rest of the team and actually brought them to 44-42 in the fourth quarter, before Briscoe finished them off 54-42.

https://youtu.be/MxV0QCdhUZ8

This is a guy that early in his career at Minnesota lost a QB battle with Mitch Leidner (gross), but instead of just taking that he volunteered to move to other positions like TE, FB, RB, WR, in order to help his team. Eventually he decided to transfer in order to give playing QB a real shot again. His first year at South Dakota (2016) was a little rough and to be honest when I watched the film I wasn't all that interested, but it was because he hadn't played the position in a few years and he was just getting back into it. The growth from 2016 to 2017 though was incredible, and I kept seeing him get better, and better, and better every game in 2017, despite having a glove over his throwing hand in the second half of the year because of a nasty throwing hand injury.

He walks out of South Dakota with two Masters degrees (how the eff does that even happen?), having won more games at that school than they've won in over a decade, including a playoff win. He was a Walter Payton Award finalist. He was his conference MVP.

Helps that he's 6'2" & 209 lbs, runs a 4.45, 38.5" vertical, 10'5" broad jump.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:30 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Gase supposedly wants guys who are football first and fully invested. The commentary on Rosen from his coach is that he has interests all over the map (I believe his description was typical millennial). Gase has been clearing these guys out. So how does Rosen make sense as the one he truly wants? I don't get it but I'm not going to doubt guys like Pauline and Albright who have been spot on.

I think Mora was talking out of his butt on the millennial thing. I worry more about Rosen being a classic pocket passer with no feel for the pass rush and already having hurt his throwing shoulder and having a few concussions. Oddly, there is talk his politics (not being a Trump supporter) may be a huge turnoff to teams. CK says he's another Matt Ryan, rather than a Cutler minus the athleticism.

I say stick with Tannehill, then draft Streveler and Litton and see who develops.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I love this stuff. Its like reality tv and soap operas all rolled into one for adult male sports nerds.

What are we gonna do?
What's the latest rumor?
Who's dropping?
Who's rising?
What's Cleveland gonna do?
Who's moving up for a QB?
Who's red flags are worse?

All of it is awesome.

Now we're talking about developing low round draft picks into useful QBs, and in the last 20 years, its been done all of 3 times that I can remember with Brady, Bulger, and Warner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

With new guards we don't need a qb!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:42 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jgod1 wrote:
I love this stuff. Its like reality tv and soap operas all rolled into one for adult male sports nerds.

What are we gonna do?
What's the latest rumor?
Who's dropping?
Who's rising?
What's Cleveland gonna do?
Who's moving up for a QB?
Who's red flags are worse?

All of it is awesome.

Now we're talking about developing low round draft picks into useful QBs, and in the last 20 years, its been done all of 3 times that I can remember with Brady, Bulger, and Warner.

Don't forget Garappolo, which is why Streveler is worth a look.

I agree it's going to be an exciting draft, though probably a black (as in bad) Thursday for Miami. Mayfield or Darnold are coming to our division and whatever qb NE drafts to extend their dynasty.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:

Check this out on Rosen:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23041561/josh-rosen-answers-nfl-critics-ucla-quarterback-tom-brady-ncaa-2018-draft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

apatos13 wrote:

Josh Rosen wrote:
Starting off, I was pretty arrogant. They handed an 18-year-old the keys to a D1 FBS-contending university. I blew up a little bit, said some things I didn't mean, and that follows you. You get one chance to make a first impression. I made the wrong one.

Good answer, and let's hope he learned from his mistakes as that "D1 FS-contending university" is a Volkswagon Beetle compared to getting the keys to an NFL team. I like the kid, but the injuries are a concern.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Let's not forget this tweet that came out on Friday. I'm not sure about the accuracy of it, but it does mean that this should be an exciting draft for us.

https://twitter.com/incarceratedbob/sta ... 6942993408

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:19 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Good answer, and let's hope he learned from his mistakes as that "D1 FS-contending university" is a Volkswagon Beetle compared to getting the keys to an NFL team. I like the kid, but the injuries are a concern.

Sometimes the ado is not an ado at all. The press has tried really hard to sink him over nothing it seems. His injuries would make me worry about him too, though.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Cleveland takes Mayfield, the Giants take Darnold and the Jets take Allen, leaving Buffalo in the cold.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:14 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
apatos13 wrote:

Josh Rosen wrote:
Starting off, I was pretty arrogant. They handed an 18-year-old the keys to a D1 FBS-contending university. I blew up a little bit, said some things I didn't mean, and that follows you. You get one chance to make a first impression. I made the wrong one.

Maybe they won't hand the keys over to this rookie if he makes it into a Phins uni.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
apatos13 wrote:

Josh Rosen wrote:

I respectfully disagree. I didn't come away overly impressed with that interview. A lot of kids are "handed the keys" to a big program and handled it much better than he supposedly did. I see a guy who is sort of saying the right things now but he comes across as a know it all. He didn't exactly elevate his program and prove he was a winner in college.

If Miami moves up to select him I will support him, but there are 4 other QBs I'd much rather see Miami target in this draft.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:50 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
... there are 4 other QBs I'd much rather see Miami target in this draft.

:whoops:

That's very interesting. Are you thinking that he is like Cutler or maybe a locker room cancer or something?

I think Allen is the quarterback that I don't want as he has serious bust signs. He reminds me of too many players that the scouts wowed over in the past who didn't show it in college.

Here's how this rookie would rank the quarterbacks based on what I've seen and read (Lamar Jackson & Mason Rudolph could flip-flop):

1 Sam Darnold
2 Baker Mayfield
3 Josh Rosen
4 Lamar Jackson
5 Mason Rudolph
6 Josh Allen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
That's very interesting. Are you thinking that he is like Cutler or maybe a locker room cancer or something?

I'm thinking once he gets comfortable he'll just tell people to screw and he's doing it his way, rather than work on mastering the program. That is the impression I get.

I don't want Josh Allen, at all. I completely agree that he has bust potential written all over him.

The QBs I like best are Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Mike White and Luke Falk. Kurt Benkert and Chase Litton are guys I like as Day 3 talents who have play maker ability but need refining.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

There are rumors flying around about the top 5 being shaken up completely. Is it possible Miami sends Tannehill to Cleveland or Denver? If Miami really is looking to move up.. Who knows what could happen. It's going to be very interesting over the next week leading up to draft day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:09 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

I'm thinking once he gets comfortable he'll just tell people to screw and he's doing it his way, rather than work on mastering the program. That is the impression I get.

I don't want Josh Allen, at all. I completely agree that he has bust potential written all over him.

The QBs I like best are Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Mike White and Luke Falk. Kurt Benkert and Chase Litton are guys I like as Day 3 talents who have play maker ability but need refining.

The top four all have warts, and with the hype machine running on all cylinders, it's hard to predict who is going to be worth drafting, and who might fall, because the one that does fall might be the next Eric Leaf or the next Aaron Rodgers. The only thing guaranteed is that one or two might be coming to our division. I'm firmly of the opinion stick with Tannehill, and draft Derwin James, Roquan Smith, or Minkah Fitzpatrick. Remember that coaching and system matters for these qb's.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:

If that's the case, then I am confident that Gase will not want Rosen. Gase does not work well with anyone who does not want to do things the Gase way. No matter how talented a person is, he will be happier to be without them. I really think Gase likes Tannehill, but an upgrade at any position is always welcome. Also, I see a lot of mocks having us pick Luke Falk in round 4. Is that doable?

apatos13 wrote:
I'm firmly of the opinion stick with Tannehill, and draft Derwin James, Roquan Smith, or Minkah Fitzpatrick. Remember that coaching and system matters for these qb's.

I really like Mayfield and Rosen, but I am not sure if Rosen is an upgrade over Tannehill. I would be thrilled if we could make a trade up for Mayfield, but I would be even happier if we would stay pat and grab a playmaker who is sure to fall to us at 11. Thanks to the Quarterbacks in this draft, and the fact there are so many teams that are QB-needy, the top 11 is very solid this year. Waiting at 11 is win-win for us. To me, the only thing that would screw us is if we Jimmy Johnson it and trade down. When it comes to the first round trades, sometimes two players is not as good as one player when you are looking for franchise playmakers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:26 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:

If that's the case, then I am confident that Gase will not want Rosen. Gase does not work well with anyone who does not want to do things the Gase way. No matter how talented a person is, he will be happier to be without them. I really think Gase likes Tannehill, but an upgrade at any position is always welcome. Also, I see a lot of mocks having us pick Luke Falk in round 4. Is that doable?

apatos13 wrote:
I'm firmly of the opinion stick with Tannehill, and draft Derwin James, Roquan Smith, or Minkah Fitzpatrick. Remember that coaching and system matters for these qb's.

I really like Mayfield and Rosen, but I am not sure if Rosen is an upgrade over Tannehill. I would be thrilled if we could make a trade up for Mayfield, but I would be even happier if we would stay pat and grab a playmaker who is sure to fall to us at 11. Thanks to the Quarterbacks in this draft, and the fact there are so many teams that are QB-needy, the top 11 is very solid this year. Waiting at 11 is win-win for us. To me, the only thing that would screw us is if we Jimmy Johnson it and trade down. When it comes to the first round trades, sometimes two players is not as good as one player when you are looking for franchise playmakers.

Trying to guess where QBs will land after the Big 4 isn't even worth the effort. Luke Falk could go anywhere from late 2nd Round to middle of Day 3. Guys like Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon, AJ McCarron and Connor Cook were all given 1st or 2nd Round grades at one point and outside of Glennon they slipped to Day 3. Its entirely possible Miami can land Falk, or Mike White in the 4th.

Ben Albright tweeted that he actually bet money on Mayfield being drafted 3rd overall. I think a lot of people are coming around to the fact that the Jets aren't being shy about Mayfield not getting past them. You'd have to trade up with the Giants which would mean dealing 1st Round picks in the next 3 drafts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:38 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

For what its worth, I'm trying to convince myself that Miami should take Mason Rudolph in the 2nd Round after that article was posted about him "throwing to spots." He has some very good accuracy but it looks like he stares down his targets. Have to start asking myself am I forcing myself to try and see an NFL starter rather than a project?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:39 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Trying to guess where QBs will land after the Big 4 isn't even worth the effort. Luke Falk could go anywhere from late 2nd Round to middle of Day 3. Guys like Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon, AJ McCarron and Connor Cook were all given 1st or 2nd Round grades at one point and outside of Glennon they slipped to Day 3. Its entirely possible Miami can land Falk, or Mike White in the 4th.

They should have asked me about Glennon ... I would have told them he was a clipholder. I saw Phillip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Jacoby Brissett, and Mike Glennon here at NC State. Rivers and Wilson had the "IT" factor and their minds were ahead of the college game. They were phenominal. Glennon took over for Russell Wilson (Politics with Glennon threatening to leave NC State had Russell Wilson going to Wisconsin to finish up his final year) and you liked his arm but he was more of a checkdown quarterback. Brissitt was a tough quarterback but his accuracy wasn't always there, but he was hard to evaluate because our OL was terrible the two years that he started for us. Tony (God bless him as we really miss here him) and I had an argument about him on Facebook. He loved him and I was like "really?".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

NCSU = QB U for the NFL. : )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:51 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

jammer wrote:
For what its worth, I'm trying to convince myself that Miami should take Mason Rudolph in the 2nd Round after that article was posted about him "throwing to spots." He has some very good accuracy but it looks like he stares down his targets. Have to start asking myself am I forcing myself to try and see an NFL starter rather than a project?

I have been doing the same. That one article was very convincing, and made me want to draft him in the second round, too. Other reviews have been mixed, though, so I'm not sure what to think. I only saw him play one time, and nothing stood out. (The observations in that article could only be made from scrutinizing lots of film.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:

It's a convincing argument. But for me, I have to ask if there is a qb in this draft that will be better than Tannehill. My answer is: Mayfield and that is it, and we have no shot at him. Maybe the rumors are true, that Gase loves Rosen, and Rosen may drop, and that we may have a deal in place to move up up with Indy and grab him. It would be exciting to take him, and it wouldn't be burning a pick to do so, but I don't want it. I like the trade up idea if it ensures us we draft Roquan Smith. Or Barkley. The idea is to get playmakers. Backup qb's we can groom shouldn't be considered until the 4th round.

Every move we have made this offseason is to have solid starters at all positions so we can draft the BPA in the draft. Lets do that. JMO.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:02 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

apatos13 wrote:
It's a convincing argument. But for me, I have to ask if there is a qb in this draft that will be better than Tannehill. My answer is: Mayfield and that is it, and we have no shot at him. Maybe the rumors are true, that Gase loves Rosen, and Rosen may drop, and that we may have a deal in place to move up up with Indy and grab him. It would be exciting to take him, and it wouldn't be burning a pick to do so, but I don't want it. I like the trade up idea if it ensures us we draft Roquan Smith. Or Barkley. The idea is to get playmakers. Backup qb's we can groom shouldn't be considered until the 4th round.

Every move we have made this offseason is to have solid starters at all positions so we can draft the BPA in the draft. Lets do that. JMO.

Nicely said there. I see Mayfield (and Darnold) as the only quarterbacks better than Tannehill. I'd accept the trade up for Rosen if we do it, but that doesn't mean that I feel Rosen is better than Tannehill. I'm not sure if Tannehill will ever develop the quality that will elevate him over the quarterback that he is. He has all the tools, but ...

I'm with you on just sitting there at 11 and grabbing the BPA. No matter who is there he is going to be a difference-maker for us. Be smart.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It's never been 'Cheat's draft personality to move up in the draft for a QB ... even when he was unhappy with Drew Bledsoe. And he has never been anyone to tip his hand at anyone who he is interested in.

RotoWorld wrote:
NESN's Doug Kyed reports the Patriots have "expressed interest" in UCLA QB Josh Rosen. It's a virtual lock the Patriots are going to use some of their four first- and second-round picks -- or package multiple together -- to pick a passer, and Rosen seems to be the one falling the most in recent mock drafts. He's no sure thing to go in the top 10, but Rosen should be off the board in the top half of the first round. New England would have to move up for Rosen, and it holds the Nos. 23, 31, 43, and 63 overall picks in rounds one and two.

Something else .... Scout's Report on Most Overrated prospects: Mason Rudolph

Matt Miller wrote:
Scout's Quote: "You have him in Round 2 and I just don't see it. He has a weak arm and plays in a bulls--t scheme. Bryce Petty all over again."

Mason Rudolph is, like the scout says, in my second-round rankings, but that isn't an opinion shared by the team employing this evaluator. He went on to add, "I can see him going second round in a mock draft, but there is no way he should be valued there."

The issue with grading quarterbacks for the entire league (media) and not just one team is that flaws in a player's game might make him an awful fit for some teams and fine for others. If you want an athletic quarterback who can move, Rudolph isn't your guy. If you want a seasoned pocket passer with pretty good touch accuracy, he is a decent option.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758 ... raft-class

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:24 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
apatos13 wrote:

Nicely said there. I see Mayfield (and Darnold) as the only quarterbacks better than Tannehill. I'd accept the trade up for Rosen if we do it, but that doesn't mean that I feel Rosen is better than Tannehill. I'm not sure if Tannehill will ever develop the quality that will elevate him over the quarterback that he is. He has all the tools, but ...

I'm with you on just sitting there at 11 and grabbing the BPA. No matter who is there he is going to be a difference-maker for us. Be smart.

I'm not opposed to moving up a few spots to make sure we can grab Roquan Smith.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

apatos13 wrote:

I'm not opposed to moving up a few spots to make sure we can grab Roquan Smith.

The Raiders are rumored to want him really bad.

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next