View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Tony Sparano: We Need To Start Fast And Keep Going Fast 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Tony Sparano: We Need To Start Fast And Keep Going Fast
Quote:
The season is here and in his exclusive column with Dolphin Digest editor Andy Cohen, Coach Tony Sparano talks about his football team and the challenges ahead.

Q. Are there indications to you that your team understands the urgency of winning on the road?

TS: I see urgency in practice. I know our team is fresh and our team feels better physically than maybe they have in the past going into the first game. I think all those things matter. They know we have put in an emphasis in that area and there will be no excuses. We just need to become more efficient in every aspect of the game to make sure we start fast and keep going fast.

Q. So what are your realistic hopes for this team in 2010?

TS: My realistic hope is that we go the playoffs and we give ourselves a chance to win a championship.

Q. And what is your thinking behind that?

TS: I feel like we have championship pieces here right now. I think we have an outstanding coaching staff. Our players on this team have matured in our system for our third year. I believe all those things put together equal championship pieces. Now, championship chemistry and things like that have to be developed. But I do think the pieces are here for us to have success.

Q. Tell us some of the things you really like about this team?

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/tony- ... going-fast

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:14 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Tony Sparano: We Need To Start Fast And Keep Going Fast
I'd settle for not starting like they have in the preseason. 2-2 out of the gate would be awesome.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:10 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

NFLJunkie wrote:
I'd settle for not starting like they have in the preseason. 2-2 out of the gate would be awesome.

3-1 would be good. 2-2 would be OK, although I would be a little disappointed.

I don't see Miami losing to NY or NE in prime time games at home.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:18 pm

I would say every team wants to start fast & keep going fast.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The primary goal of the year is to win the division. In order to do that, a 4-2 Division record is the bare minimum. (And it might not even be enough)

The first four games: @ Buf, @ Minn, NYJ, NE.

Miami has to go 3-1 in those games, with the loss being to Minnesota.

It is a tough task, but the easiest way to get to a 4-2 Div record for Miami is a sweep of Buffalo, plus home wins against NE and NYJ.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:

No kidding. This is no more news than pregame speeches. Might as well say "Sparano says team needs to out score opponents in order to win games."

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:04 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Iowafin wrote:
FINesse wrote:

No kidding. This is no more news than pregame speeches. Might as well say "Sparano says team needs to out score opponents in order to win games."

Well I wouldn't go that far. If you've noticed that the last 2 years with Sparano we have started out gradually, then caught steam, but then realized we had to fight up hill. Especially this year, as ya'll have mentioned, the 1st 4 games are a large indication of how our season could go.

Digging a little deeper though, I believe this is Sparano learning about himself as a head coach. He's on the curve here too & its a big jump from O-line coach 2 years ago. He's building his program and developing with it. This year he wants to be able to bring efficiency & execution out of our team right away

Kind of wish we were playing one more preseason game . . . . oh wait . . we have the Bills. That'll do

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think that's the first time I've heard Sparano talk about us being a championship team. In the beginning all he ever talked about was we've got to prepare and focus on one week at a time. Then when you got him to talk a little more he emphasized how important it is to win the division. I honestly can't recall him talking about winning championships. It's always competitive this, physical that, we did some good things here and there, but never championship. He did throw in that championship chemistry thing at the end to give himself an out, but I still like his thinking. It's good to know the coach finally thinks we've got the pieces it takes to win a championship.
:yay:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]