View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 "You are what your record says you are" 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post "You are what your record says you are"
Parcells was always the pragmatic one. He's quick to point out weakness to players to keep their ego in check. He's been consistently quick on the trigger finger to cut a veteran player if a young player is playing well and the difference is minimal. You can agree, or not but he is consistent. Satele, Roth, Allen....players who in a lot of peoples minds deserved better treatment...didn't get it. With Parsparano....its all business. Practice or don't play. For your salaries sake, the team doc better understand what your problem is or you could be gone. If your need is a MLB...cut the veteran OLB who has been injured through camp....especially if you have a rookie showing up and playing well. If you made a mistake by signing someone....cut 'em and move on. The best practice player, makes the roster. The best player in the preseason, gets the starters job. It is the Parcell's way.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: "You are what your record says you are"
It's worked in the past, and the team has been moving in the right direction so far... this is year 3 though so us fans are getting antsy, and understandably so. We're supposed to have a pretty solid roster by now, and what we're looking at is a relatively new roster... yet again.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:28 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:
It's worked in the past, and the team has been moving in the right direction so far... this is year 3 though so us fans are getting antsy, and understandably so. We're supposed to have a pretty solid roster by now, and what we're looking at is a relatively new roster... yet again.

My thoughts exactly........

Not sure I can buy into the building process for a couple more years....

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

building forever... we've been "building" since 2000

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:13 am

10acjed wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

My thoughts exactly........

Not sure I can buy into the building process for a couple more years....

Don't forget the pain and embarrassment of 1-15. As far as rebuilding goes, any pro team is going to have about 25% turnover year to year just do to FA. I'm encouraged that the best player is making the field; however, like a few I'm also discouraged that some very good players have been jettisoned for no apparent reason other than they were injured. Matt Roth went on to get 7 sacks in Cleveland.... Miami could've used him in the stretch last season.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:08 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I think Roth had more to it then just the injury.

He has openly stated he is happier now being used in a different role..

I dont think he was happy being the other guy behind Taylor again, and I think he knew he would see limited snaps... And thats why he was playing the games with the Fins...

In the end he actually won, he was rewarded with a starting job somewhere else...

I dont know what to think about the Allen deal tho... Thats just strange to me, seems we will need him sooner rather than later, and from what I have heard he is going to push to be released/traded rather than not play this year...

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:37 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

you can say rebuilding since 2000, or 1984 or 1972.... it makes no difference....this current front office is starting their 3rd season.... so that's where i count from...i can't blame them for all the numerous mistakes that have occurred before they were here...so year 3... YES I EXPECT PLAYOFFS...END OF STORY!!! I think Parcells will be fine with being judged by his standard of you are what your record says you are....I am not gonna make excuses but I am not gonna bash them before the season has even begun!

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:13 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:

What did you expect?

You cannot undo over 10 years worth of personnel damage in a couple of years.

We had to figure out ways to replace aging veterans like Joey Porter and Jason Taylor.

I think fan expectations are way too unrealistic.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:48 am

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

What did you expect?

You cannot undo over 10 years worth of personnel damage in a couple of years.

We had to figure out ways to replace aging veterans like Joey Porter and Jason Taylor.

I think fan expectations are way too unrealistic.

We're not just cutting past regime players anymore... we're cutting players taken by these guys... mistakes, or perhaps impatience... whatever the case... No one is perfect, no doubt, but you hate to see two guys in only their 2nd year, drafted by this group of coaches themselves, get the axe already.

I'm not expecting the Superbowl, but 7-9 was a disappointment. I'm expecting at least 9-7 this year... but we'll see what happens. If 9-7 is too much to ask, then I'm not sure what "fans" are supposed to be asking for then... seems like a fair deal to me.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:42 am

IamPZ wrote:
But you hate to see two guys in only their 2nd year, drafted by this group of coaches themselves, get the axe already.

Better that than holding on to those guys because they were 2nd round picks over better players, like the overwhelming majority of front offices in the NFL do.

Besides, if you look at the draft records of the top teams in the NFL, you will see plenty of players who don't pan out.

Quote:
I'm expecting at least 9-7 this year... but we'll see what happens. If 9-7 is too much to ask, then I'm not sure what "fans" are supposed to be asking for then... seems like a fair deal to me.

You're also expecting a confirmed "pretty solid" roster.

Quote:
We're supposed to have a pretty solid roster by now, and what we're looking at is a relatively new roster... yet again.

It would take a miracle worker to go from one of the worst teams perhaps in NFL history to a pretty solid roster in 2-3 years.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:54 am

"Better that than holding on to those guys because they were 2nd round picks over better players, like the overwhelming majority of front offices in the NFL do."

I don't think this can be stated enough. How many regimes hang onto guys just to avoid looking bad? This staff cuts the losses and moves on. They're certain they'll miss a few but also hit on a few. No one is 100%...not even Belichick. As far as expectations....how can anyone have any expectations of a season. I think all but 2-3 teams should be expecting around .500 and if a few things go their way like turnovers and injuries they could make the playoffs. Outside of a couple of teams with QB's that can make up for a few "holes" the rest of the "good" teams are in the catagory above.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:18 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

0-0
We are what our record says we are. That goes for every other team in the NFL as well. Man I can't wait for the season to start so we can actually see what this front office has been trying to build.
:hithead:

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:27 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I will say this .... we are the best 0-0 team.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]