View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 PFW: JT to be back with Dolphins in 2010 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post PFW: JT to be back with Dolphins in 2010
Quote:
Dolphins OLB Jason Taylor will become an unrestricted free agent in March, and the team has a potential replacement for him in Cameron Wake, who has shown flashes of brilliance as a situational pass rusher in his first NFL season. Sources in Miami, however, expect Taylor, who had a very solid year at 35 years old, will be back with the Dolphins. One observer called him the epitome of a team leader.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/0 ... qb-smith-2

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: PFW: JT to be back with Dolphins in 2010
Wouldn't mind keeping him but I think Wake needs to be worked in more.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:23 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

JT is still valuable to this defense. Sign him up!

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

As long as his pay is the same.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:31 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

add nate jones as well

The Dolphins told cornerback Nate Jones, an impending unrestricted free agent, they want to re-sign him, but they could not agree on a contract, said his agent, Everette Scott, who didn't rule out reviving talks. The Dolphins expect Will Allen, Vontae Davis and Sean Smith to battle for two starting jobs, with Allen -- off a knee injury -- due to make $5.2 million guaranteed. Against three-receiver sets, Allen could assume Jones' 2009 role -- covering the slot receiver

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/columnists/barry -jackson/story/1442275.html

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The only guys I'd let go on this defense would Wilson, Porter, Torbor and Ayodele. Continue building from there.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:39 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Ski_Money wrote:
Wouldn't mind keeping him but I think Wake needs to be worked in more.

thats why there is no talk of joey porter in this article

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
The only guys I'd let go on this defense would Wilson, Porter, Torbor and Ayodele. Continue building from there.

So wait. Porter has more sacks than anyone else on D, including Taylor who also played in more games than Porter, and we're ready to throw him out the door?

I don't get all of the Porter hate these days. He went from unbelievable year to merely average, and fans, including many that normally have a good head for such things, are ready to chuck him to the curb (while at the same time calling JT a leader, who had an inferior year in nearly every way). Porter had more tackles (34 v 33) and more sacks (9 v 7), all while having significantly less playing time due to injury et al.

Why are we so eager to get rid of our sack leader (2 years running)?

Why are we so eager to keep JT?

Were it up to me, I would find ways to replace the both of them sooner than later (even as soon as this season), but I'm not necessarily in a hurry to rush them off either.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:51 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf when it comes to Porter & Taylor they will never be judged equally Porter was a high priced free agent who simply put , although you cant argue with what he did in 08 as not living up to his pay day & also not being the guy he was in Pittsburgh. Taylor is one of those Dolphins who will always be loved no matter what (unless he plays for the Pats) & yes while Porter had better numbers in Dolphin fans eyes if you are letting one go he loses that decision every time. I agree to move on sooner than later & be done with both of them. So that is why all the Porter hate these days but also because of some of his antics which actually led to a benching maybe the hate is really just disgust.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

"One observer called him the epitome of a team leader." That pretty much sums it up for me too.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:13 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

eleaf wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

So wait. Porter has more sacks than anyone else on D, including Taylor who also played in more games than Porter, and we're ready to throw him out the door?

I don't get all of the Porter hate these days. He went from unbelievable year to merely average, and fans, including many that normally have a good head for such things, are ready to chuck him to the curb (while at the same time calling JT a leader, who had an inferior year in nearly every way). Porter had more tackles (34 v 33) and more sacks (9 v 7), all while having significantly less playing time due to injury et al.

Eh.. He only had more sacks because he plays weak side. JT almost matched his sacks on the strong side. Porter gets WAY more opportunities to go after the QB. Teams also were running at him all year because he is a liability against the run and JT showed this year that he can set the edge and improved against the run DRAMATICALLY.

Wake is waiting in the wings. Moses showed promise in his little bit of playing time as well. Time to cut losses and get rid of the guy who is 1 year removed from a big season and aging, while he still has value.

Porter was very average this year. Your right. But, in our defensive scheme. We will not be successful with an average WLB. We need a stud there. Someone who can CONSISTENTLY get pressure.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:30 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Again... Porter was terrible against the run AGAIN and yes he had 9 sacks, but only 11 pressures and 5 QB hits. Looking strictly at the sack numbers he had a productive season but AGAIN half his sacks came in two games. Anyone who actually WATCHED Porter every game knows he had way too many invisible moments and a lot of it was against one on one blocking.

Our pass rush in general may have been good statistically, but thos of us who SAW the games know that opposing QBs often had an ETERNITY to throw.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It's easy to be the sack leader two years in a row of a team that can't get pressure.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

We had a very subpar year pressuring the QB. If Wake can improve his coverage skills, watch out... This kid can only get better. His motor is always going. That's a really good sign. I wouldn't mind JT coming back though. Next year could be a very interesting year for this team. So, having veteran leadership going into the playoffs we all know is important for a primarily young team. I do believe Porter is expendable.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Be a good idea to keep him . You think hell be keeped to mentor wake and a possible draft Choice?

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Porter had an average year making ELITE money. That's why he's gone next year, and rightfully so.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cboy72 wrote:
We had a very subpar year pressuring the QB. If Wake can improve his coverage skills, watch out... This kid can only get better. His motor is always going. That's a really good sign. I wouldn't mind JT coming back though. Next year could be a very interesting year for this team. So, having veteran leadership going into the playoffs we all know is important for a primarily young team. I do believe Porter is expendable.

We actually didn't have a subpar year with sacks. We just didn't get them when we needed them. Many came early in games when they matter a bit less.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

eleaf wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Why are we so eager to get rid of our sack leader (2 years running)?

Why are we so eager to keep JT?

Were it up to me, I would find ways to replace the both of them sooner than later (even as soon as this season), but I'm not necessarily in a hurry to rush them off either.

because the grass is always greener on the other side

Iowafin wrote:
It's easy to be the sack leader two years in a row of a team that can't get pressure.

phins had 44 sacks this year, only behind the vilkings and steelers

Big Lu wrote:
Be a good idea to keep him . You think hell be keeped to mentor wake and a possible draft Choice?

these are professional players, do they really need mentors?

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:45 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

cboy72 wrote:
We had a very subpar year pressuring the QB. If Wake can improve his coverage skills, watch out...

How does this help us improve our pass rush?

Now if he can improve on run support then were in business, this guy needs to be on the field.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:52 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

MNDolfan wrote:
Porter had an average year making ELITE money. That's why he's gone next year, and rightfully so.

I'd love to see Porter in uniform next year. Seen a guy follow a subpar year with a great year many times. Seems to be Porters M.O.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:55 am

Porter / Mentor ... I really dont think so.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:29 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

JT will not be back for 1.5 mil.
Porter is not worth 7 million.

Porter had more sacks than Taylor, and they cost the Fins alot of money....

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:47 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Porter is not worth that kind of money but I'd take him back in a heartbeat if the price is right.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

FINesse wrote:
eleaf when it comes to Porter & Taylor they will never be judged equally Porter was a high priced free agent who simply put , although you cant argue with what he did in 08 as not living up to his pay day & also not being the guy he was in Pittsburgh. Taylor is one of those Dolphins who will always be loved no matter what (unless he plays for the Pats) & yes while Porter had better numbers in Dolphin fans eyes if you are letting one go he loses that decision every time. I agree to move on sooner than later & be done with both of them. So that is why all the Porter hate these days but also because of some of his antics which actually led to a benching maybe the hate is really just disgust.

I have nothing against JP, but I want JT back for sure. (who would have guessed it?) JT is a team man and a Dolphin all the way.
I'm really hoping to see him in our uni next year. :yay:

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphindebby wrote:
FINesse wrote:

I have nothing against JP, but I want JT back for sure. (who would have guessed it?) JT is a team man and a Dolphin all the way.

He's so much of a team guy that he practically forced himself to be traded by insisting on being twinkle toes Taylor. His "the team comes first" attitude ship sailed a long time ago.

How quickly we forget.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

eleaf wrote:
dolphindebby wrote:
FINesse wrote:

He's so much of a team guy that he practically forced himself to be traded by insisting on being twinkle toes Taylor. His "the team comes first" attitude ship sailed a long time ago.

How quickly we forget.

I haven't forgotten anything.

There was/is a reason they have him back on the team.
I still think that stuff was about more than we'll ever know.
He brought a lot back to the team and I'm all for him being a Dolphin as long as he can.
IMO, I think he is a team guy and I always will. I've never changed my mind about him (or Zach) for that matter. I really don't care what other's say about him.
I know what I like, who I like and I have my own opinion. Evidently so does Sparano, bp and the rest.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphindebby wrote:

How quickly we forget.[/quote]

I haven't forgotten anything.

There was/is a reason they have him back on the team.
I still think that stuff was about more than we'll ever know.
He brought a lot back to the team and I'm all for him being a Dolphin as long as he can.
IMO, I think he is a team guy and I always will. I've never changed my mind about him (or Zach) for that matter. I really don't care what other's say about him.
I know what I like, who I like and I have my own opinion. Evidently so does Sparano, bp and the rest.[/quote]

Yeah. Because in order to play football, he had to take MUCH less than what he is worth. Had he insisted on his usual salary (I think it was somewhere around the $10 million mark) he would have been at home watching the games on TV.

The trifecta wouldn't have touched his $10 mil a year with a 10 meter pole.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

eleaf wrote:
Yeah. Because in order to play football, he had to take MUCH less than what he is worth. Had he insisted on his usual salary (I think it was somewhere around the $10 million mark) he would have been at home watching the games on TV.

I'm not sure why your failing to understand this simple concept. JP is one of the highest paid players on this team and had average numbers this year. JT came very cheaply, will likely come fairly cheap again this year, and had nearly as good sack numbers while playing strong side and being better against the running game. It's not rocket science dude. Take your emotions out of it and look at the issue from a business side of the equation. The numbers simply don't lie in this case, JP takes a pay cut or he is gone; it's pretty simple. For that matter, if he doesn't come cheaply, I wouldn't expect JT to be back this year if we are able to find a decent free agent or draft a replacement.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
eleaf wrote:

I'm not sure why your failing to understand this simple concept. JP is one of the highest paid players on this team and had average numbers this year. JT came very cheaply, will likely come fairly cheap again this year, and had nearly as good sack numbers while playing strong side and being better against the running game. It's not rocket science dude. Take your emotions out of it and look at the issue from a business side of the equation. The numbers simply don't lie in this case, JP takes a pay cut or he is gone; it's pretty simple. For that matter, if he doesn't come cheaply, I wouldn't expect JT to be back this year if we are able to find a decent free agent or draft a replacement.

I'm not trying to say that I would keep Porter. Financially speaking, this is the year to release/trade/whatever him. Before we really get in to the big bucks. What I fail to understand is the "Porter should be the second to be released (behind Wilson)" attitude after not having as bad a year as many attribute to him. He was not great, and at times was not even that good. But he did produce an average year, after having a career year. He is not worth the money he costs. None of this do I somehow argue against.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

NFLJunkie wrote:
Porter is not worth that kind of money but I'd take him back in a heartbeat if the price is right.

Agreed. I'd also love to have JT in the huddle again because you could see how his leadership affected the younger players especially the rookie corners this year.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]