View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Vincent Jackson -- Go get him 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Vincent Jackson -- Go get him
I'm not one to normally condone Madden-like moves, but why not go get this guy? Get him in here, he misses the Vikings, Jets and Patriots and joins us for the bye week and lines up across from Brandon Marshall at Lambeau Field in mid-October.

He will need to get paid, but that's OK. It's an uncapped year this season and following the season, a load of money comes off the books from the running back position. Draft a guy mid-to-late first round to replace Ronnie Brown next season and its not ridiculous money.

Marshall and Jackson would provide this team with a pair of big, physical and talented wideouts to get the ball to. And because of his suspension, you could probably get Jackson for a mid-round pick (how about a 6th in 2011 and a conditional 3rd in 2012).

Bess keeps his spot in the slot, Hartline moves down to No. 4 and Marlon Moore and Rob Wallace battle for No. 5 with the loser moving to the practice squad.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:34 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Re: Vincent Jackson -- Go get him
i would love to bring in jackson to go line up across from marshall with bess in the middle. That would be a Lethal tandom of wr's make no doubt about it. I just dont see us making a move on him. If we wanted him i feel like we would have made a move a while back. That said, hartline has been invisible so far this year (besides all those drops). Maybe the exec's up top will go for it but it would cost a lot of money. Who knows thouhg…. i would like to have him.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

How is this even plausible? He's holding out the hole freakin' year because he's not getting paid enough, how is he possibly going to get paid in Miami when they've already shelled out major bucks to Marshall, Dansby, Carey and Long?

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

if we sneak him monopoly money nobody wille be the wiser!

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

no way would I EVER want him or Revis.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

It certainly wouldn't hurt to see what he thinks he's worth and if we feel the same, hell it's not my money!

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Just going to throw this out there. Our staff will likely not want to give up a good draft pick to get Jackson, and the Chargers will likely not expect a high pick for him. But what about trading a player for him??? Someone, shall we say, like Channing Crowder? He just signed a nice contract and if we were able to shed his contract then maybe we could afford a guy like Jackson?
I'm not saying this will happen, I'm not saying it makes sense from a $$$ standpoint, I'm just saying this is the one year we could actually go out and make a move like this. If it only costs us Channing Crowder, then I'm all for it.
:war:

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
How is this even plausible? He's holding out the hole freakin' year because he's not getting paid enough, how is he possibly going to get paid in Miami when they've already shelled out major bucks to Marshall, Dansby, Carey and Long?

I just said... a bunch of money comes off the books in the form of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams after this season. The likelihood of us signing both is small, and the likelihood of us signing either to a big contract is nil. Why not simply move the 8 or 9 million invested in Williams and Brown and move it to Jackson? Then this offseason, you can enter the draft with the need to draft a back in the middle to late first round.

I'm not saying I think it will happen. It won't. I'm just saying it would improve this offense by leaps and bounds.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:23 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

He's not playing for SD anyway. If they're smart, they'll take whatever they can get.

If AJ Smith folds and will take a mid round pick, get him, sign him for this season, and then let him walk after this year.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:44 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

MNDolfan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

I just said... a bunch of money comes off the books in the form of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams after this season. The likelihood of us signing both is small, and the likelihood of us signing either to a big contract is nil. Why not simply move the 8 or 9 million invested in Williams and Brown and move it to Jackson? Then this offseason, you can enter the draft with the need to draft a back in the middle to late first round.

I'm not saying I think it will happen. It won't. I'm just saying it would improve this offense by leaps and bounds.

2 guys who have been through their ups & downs with this team but proven loyal in the end, & you would rather bring in the arrogant, self centered problem child?
I'm straight w/o this punk. I believe in the team, not adding individuals

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
If AJ Smith folds and will take a mid round pick, get him, sign him for this season, and then let him walk after this year.

That's exactly why he's holding out...there might be a holdout, so he wants job security...signing him to a one year deal won't do anyone a bit of good.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

That's exactly why he's holding out...there might be a holdout, so he wants job security...signing him to a one year deal won't do anyone a bit of good.

If I'm not mistaken, the amount of money we would spend on Will Allen and Channing Crowder would be about the same as a guy like Vincent Jackson. Maybe since we're looking at possibly letting both go after this season, why don't we just pull the trigger and get Jackson for next to nothing. I'm not sure if you can trade a guy like Will Allen since he is on the IR, but if you could trade him away with Channing Crowder it would most certainly free up the right amount of money to afford Jackson. Marshall and Jackson would be the most talented receiver duo in the NFL!
:yay:

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:45 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

It's rare that you find two top tier WR on the same team. Even more rare, that a team trades for both. We already paid Marshall and several other critical players on this team. Getting Jackson in any scenario spells a lot of money.

If I'm not mistaken Bess is on the final year of his rookie deal. I know he will be looking to get a long term deal after this season. So if it came down to Bess and Jackson, I'd much rather pay Bess.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:51 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

You guys do understand that thes guys, Jackson, Revis, Moss and Im sure there are a few others kinda worried (R Brown) are in contract years.
Now if there is some kind of a hold out and things get ugly, they are unemployed. No contract = no money...
Thats why they are asking for it now, they want the security....
Vincent Jackson is a top end WR, we just paid Marshall with a big $ deal... He was in a similar situation where he wasnt happy and acting like a "primadonna" yet he is on our team....

I dont think Ireland has any problem pulling the trigger...
The issue will be that we already gave up our 2nd round pick... We give up too much we may shoot ourselves in the foot...

IMO, we wait til the off season and pursue Moss.... If he leaves NE he will want to throw it in their faces...

Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:12 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Can we be serious here? We all ready have one of the highest payrolls in the NFL.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
Can we be serious here? We all ready have one of the highest payrolls in the NFL.

Not anymore. We cut a lot of cap wasters. Once Will Allen is traded.. I can assure you... our cap will be lower then the norm.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

O-Line got a lot cheaper

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:48 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Ski_Money wrote:
O-Line got a lot cheaper

it did get cheaper, but Grove also had a signing bonus and whatever remained from that will get applied to either this season or next season.

So there is more money now, but maybe not as much as we're all thinking?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:26 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

keebler_kahn wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:
O-Line got a lot cheaper

it did get cheaper, but Grove also had a signing bonus and whatever remained from that will get applied to either this season or next season.

So there is more money now, but maybe not as much as we're all thinking?

Not necessarily. We may be taking the full hit this year. It depends on how the Dolphins structured other dead cap or it may not even matter at all since it is an uncapped year.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If all the cap hit is this year, we're golden right? Sorry, I'm not a capologist.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]