All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
X “is not happy” guys….

Quote:
Dolphins CB Xavien Howard: 'I'm not happy, and have requested a trade.

Searching for a new contract, Pro Bowl cornerback Xavien Howard is now searching for a new team.
The disgruntled defensive back released a statement on social media Tuesday saying he has requested to be traded from the Miami Dolphins.
Howard arrived to Dolphins training camp on Tuesday, but obviously has eyes on a departure. Nonetheless, he stated he'll remain at camp so he does not sustain fines, which wasn't the case earlier in the offseason.
Howard was absent for the team's three-day minicamp in June, skipping the mandatory offseason workouts and incurring $93,000 in fines due to his displeasure with his current contract.
Howard inked a five-year, $75.25 million extension in 2019 (not 2018 as Howard wrote in his statement), but in 2020, Howard put forth a sensational season and it also came after the team signed cornerback Byron Jones to a bigger deal, a fact noted in Howard's statement.
Howard led the NFL with 10 interceptions and was an All-Pro last season.
He's made it clear he wants a new deal and with the Dolphins apparently standing pat, Howard's looking for a new deal with a new team.


http://www.nfl.com/_amp/dolphins-cb-xav ... ed-a-trade

This kinda shhh makes me care less and less about NFL football.

F these guys.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 8187
Someone should ask him if he enjoyed the money he earned in 2019 and did the Phins stand by him then.

10 mil plus for playing not quite 1/3 of the season. Although I read elsewhere he got 14 mil for 2019 I dont know which number is right.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 7298
Location: El Paso, TX.
Quote:
Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard wants out.

Howard officially requested a trade with a post on Instagram Tuesday night.

"I want to make it clear I'm not happy," Howard wrote. "And I've requested a trade."

Howard reported to Dolphins camp Tuesday with all of his teammates.

"Until that trade happens, I am just here so I don't get fined," said Howard, who faces a fine of $50,000 per day if he were to hold out.

Howard, 28, had 10 interceptions last season and has 18 in the past three years.

"He’s a great player," Miami coach Brian Flores said earlier Tuesday.


More: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/spo ... 395766001/

_________________
RIP Tom
RIP Tone


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 7298
Location: El Paso, TX.
Wanted to add this little piece:

Quote:
"I'm one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL," Howard wrote. "And the tape backs up that claim. The assignments I'm given, shadowing the oppositions' best player with little help, proves my value, my worth. Yet I'm the second highest paid cornerback on my own team and it's not even close."


:fart:

_________________
RIP Tom
RIP Tone


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 8187
Well lets see if he is a professional now.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2020 Phinfever T-Rock FFL Champ
2020 Phinfever T-Rock FFL Champ

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 439
Location: Princeton,IL
You could tell in the clip of him showing up today, he didn't exactly look happy. I'm sorry honor your obligation. I have to question he didn't really understand the extension he got. but he understood the dollars of it. Also unfortunately this may not be able to be worked out with him now at this point.

My experience with the Dolphins the past few seasons has taught me that. In 2018 [sic], I signed an extension that I’ll admit I didn’t completely understand or feel comfortable with.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 8187
Phinsforever wrote:
You could tell in the clip of him showing up today, he didn't exactly look happy. I'm sorry honor your obligation. I have to question he didn't really understand the extension he got. but he understood the dollars of it. Also unfortunately this may not be able to be worked out with him now at this point.

My experience with the Dolphins the past few seasons has taught me that. In 2018 [sic], I signed an extension that I’ll admit I didn’t completely understand or feel comfortable with.


I guess 2018 makes him seem less greedy than the actual extension in 2019.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:09 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
No way we get value for him in a trade. Teams will simply wait for the malcontent to force his removal. The Phins are truly stupid and should have known this was going to happen when they brought in Jones. That big reach they made for Igby better pay off because Miami, as usual, can not handle personnel issues. Just watch the X man play well a few games and then spend the rest of the season nursing some sort of minor injury.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
Agreed…I already stopped watching basketball and baseball….football will be harder to stop watching, but recent events are making it easier to do.

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
X “is not happy” guys….

Quote:
Dolphins CB Xavien Howard: 'I'm not happy, and have requested a trade.

Searching for a new contract, Pro Bowl cornerback Xavien Howard is now searching for a new team.
The disgruntled defensive back released a statement on social media Tuesday saying he has requested to be traded from the Miami Dolphins.
Howard arrived to Dolphins training camp on Tuesday, but obviously has eyes on a departure. Nonetheless, he stated he'll remain at camp so he does not sustain fines, which wasn't the case earlier in the offseason.
Howard was absent for the team's three-day minicamp in June, skipping the mandatory offseason workouts and incurring $93,000 in fines due to his displeasure with his current contract.
Howard inked a five-year, $75.25 million extension in 2019 (not 2018 as Howard wrote in his statement), but in 2020, Howard put forth a sensational season and it also came after the team signed cornerback Byron Jones to a bigger deal, a fact noted in Howard's statement.
Howard led the NFL with 10 interceptions and was an All-Pro last season.
He's made it clear he wants a new deal and with the Dolphins apparently standing pat, Howard's looking for a new deal with a new team.


http://www.nfl.com/_amp/dolphins-cb-xav ... ed-a-trade

This kinda shhh makes me care less and less about NFL football.

F these guys.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:28 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 12868
Location: MA
The post makes him sound immature. Everyone already knows he is upset and it takes a two second Google search to see is the paid less than Jones. No need to announce it thinking it will buy you public support and leverage. I don't see Ross, Grier or Flores posting that he signed a contract and is letting his teammates down.

He'll fetch a 1st Rounder in late August. If Miami produces a winning season no one will care.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
Phinished wrote:
Agreed…I already stopped watching basketball and baseball….football will be harder to stop watching, but recent events are making it easier to do.


I follow my O's in baseball, but I don't watch games and I usually just check them out to see how they are doing every couple of weeks. Even if they were winning, the money they make is totally unreal and makes watching the game ridiculous. At least the NFL has a much harder cap which makes all teams equal, not the money markets as baseball has created.

I'd make him play out his contract or lose the money. He had a break-out season last year, and maybe it was because of his displeasure with what Byron Jones was paid.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
More information of what went down before X went public with it. I wouldn't have been against moving some money forward, and it may because X had a couple years where the Dolphins ate his salary because of his injuries. I imagine he will be traded at some point, but I'd make him either play or eat his salary until we get good value for him.

Armando Salguero (Miami Herald) wrote:
Howard and Canter previously asked the Dolphins to move $4 million from Howard’s $11.65 million base salary scheduled for 2024 to this year. That move would’ve accomplished multiple things: It would have made Howard the highest-paid player on the team, which he isn’t. It would have made him the highest-paid cornerback on the team, which he isn’t. And it would have made the player feel appreciated and motivated to continue playing at a high level after leading the NFL with 10 interceptions in 2020.

The Dolphins did not agree.

Nor did they agree to trade Howard when he originally asked for it -- which apparently came before he went public on the eve of training camp practices. Nor did they agree to a separate request -- to fully guarantee Howard’s 2022 scheduled salary of $12.375 million -- when that was suggested.

And so Howard went public with his displeasure.


Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy



_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Phinished wrote:
Agreed…I already stopped watching basketball and baseball….football will be harder to stop watching, but recent events are making it easier to do


Kinda funny it’s not even political this time. I will be a Miami guy until the day I die but being a fan of the league itself is a different beast.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:19 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 12868
Location: MA
I'm going back to my lender and stating that I signed up for a mortgage that I didn't completely understand and didn't feel comfortable with. Maybe they will cancel half of the interest I owe on the loan to prove they have their client's best interest at heart.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
jammer wrote:
The post makes him sound immature. Everyone already knows he is upset and it takes a two second Google search to see is the paid less than Jones. No need to announce it thinking it will buy you public support and leverage.


Agreed. Make me President and the first thing I’ll do is bam social media. People will lose their absolute heads for awhile but they’d get over it.

:haha

jammer wrote:
I'm going back to my lender and stating that I signed up for a mortgage that I didn't completely understand and didn't feel comfortable with. Maybe they will cancel half of the interest I owe on the loan to prove they have their client's best interest at heart.


You need to buy yourself some NFL privilege first.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:22 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
The thing about X….he gets hurt….a lot….and giving a player with that history guaranteed huge money sounds like a guarantee he will take more time off. One complete season is jus t that, one season. If they restructure, then it should be incentive laden with not as much guaranteed money. Byron Jones is way overpaid and the Phins were stupid enough to create thise ir own problem with his contract.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am
Posts: 985
Him signing the initial extension was just bad timing. It's a weird situation to be in, regardless of who is "right" or "wrong". I think it should go without saying X is the best corner on the team. And it seems logical that the best corner has the biggest paycheck right? But it gets fishy because of when he signed the extension. I'm not thrilled at the fact that Byron Jones makes more, but that's entirely the Front Offices' fault. They knew what they were doing- the risks that were involved when they signed Jones.

Another interesting aspect is that he has a potential out in his contract in 2022, so perhaps the team wants him to play this year as is, and then re-negotiate or something next year? It also gets a bit sour when demands such as "highest paid" get thrown around, because we all want those players who just want to win and want the best possible team around them. And it begins to weigh on the overall impact it has on the rest of the locker room.

Does he have injury concerns? Yes. But, when healthy, his play reaches a level that few in the league can reach. It's unfortunate that a reasonable solution cannot be found.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 2328
Location: Charlotte, NC
What's he going to do.......play half speed during the regular season........fake an injury. Shouldn't make any difference what anyone else on the Team makes. He got what he wanted.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
Also of note, Coach Flores addressed Xavien Howard's trade request and said that they will not trade him and will continue to discuss his situation with Howard and his agent but will keep discussions in confidence. Also, he said that he loved coaching X. As far as a trade, the Dolphins said the same thing to Tunsil, and they were serious about it, but they were offered a trade they could not refuse.

PFT wrote:
Two playoff teams didn’t waste time in calling the Dolphins to inquire about a trade for the All-Pro player, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports, and “others have, too.”


https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... en-howard/

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 8187
I think X is gone before training camp is over.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
AQNOR wrote:
I think X is gone before training camp is over.


Image

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am
Posts: 985
Coots wrote:
X is the best injury prone cornerback in the league.
What I don't get is how this doesn't affect players moving forward league wide. "Oh look, I'm the highest paid player in the league at my position this year"... next year... "Hey wait, he got more money than me? Screw it I want more money, or I want traded".

It's almost like the teams have zero leverage in the contract deals. If the team pushes back, they cry and say well I'm going home and sitting out, or I want traded.

So what, we force our hand and say nah, you're staying buddy. And then the cancer begins to grow.

Sounds to me like X is a product of the first part of cry babies who didn't get their way so now they're taking their toys and going home. Well, bye.



I agree with the fact that being the "highest paid" player at a position is short lived because year after year there's a new face atop the totem pole (except QB now, Thanks Mahomes).

But what makes little sense to me is extending X to be the #1 - then signing a guy playing the same position and paying him more money 1 year later. It's just a weird thing to do. Usually when a new guy is signed, the first guy is on his way out the door. And while that ultimately seems to be the case now, it doesn't really seem like that was how the front office wanted it to be.

I think it's fair to say if X was already the highest paid guy on the team, I would probably feel a lot different about this situation than I do. I just don't understand what the front office thought was going to happen here.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 8187
Did the front office know that x was going to turn into the best cover corner in the league based off of his previous work?

They gave him a good contract hoping he would be healthy most of a season. Usually you don't get the biggest contract on a team / league for just one year of production and that came after the contract was given. Usually teams Like to see if you can maintain at a similar level.

I think the team thought they were bringing in some one who would be as good or better than x and more available and paid him accordingly. Good for x that he did so well.

Like was said players usually know that you don't remain highest paid at your position for long. I would not be surprised if X is on the bench this year with an injury. I hope not. I hope wherever he play he is healthy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 2328
Location: Charlotte, NC
Like to see him play this season and get traded next year. Hopefully, he was just trying to test the situation and is ready to ball out.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am
Posts: 985
AQNOR wrote:
Did the front office know that x was going to turn into the best cover corner in the league based off of his previous work?


By extending him 5 years and making him the (then) highest paid CB in the league, I'd assume they thought he was the best, yes. But who am I to assume? Considering the next year they gave someone else more. Which is why the situation is weird.

AQNOR wrote:
They gave him a good contract hoping he would be healthy most of a season. Usually you don't get the biggest contract on a team / league for just one year of production and that came after the contract was given. Usually teams Like to see if you can maintain at a similar level.


The extension he signed included a potential out in 2022. If X gets hurt or whatever situation one can imagine, the team had taken the steps to not have to eat the whole contract beyond then. Plus, if that's the case, what did Byron Jones do in Dallas so consistently that made him so much more valuable?

AQNOR wrote:
I think the team thought they were bringing in some one who would be as good or better than x and more available and paid him accordingly. Good for x that he did so well.


He's a good player, there's not denying that. Not quite the turnover machine that Xavien is, but he brings a different physicality to the DB room. Do I like having him on the team? Absolutely. Do I agree with him making more than X? Not necessarily. But that's just my opinion, and I let quality of play decide that for me. Byron Jones has a career total of 4 interceptions. X has 22.

AQNOR wrote:
Like was said players usually know that you don't remain highest paid at your position for long. I would not be surprised if X is on the bench this year with an injury. I hope not. I hope wherever he play he is healthy.


I hope not too.




I read the script of an interview Byron Jones gave recently asking about the situation with X, and I was a bit surprised when he agreed that X is the best CB on the team. He also said he wants them both to make as much as possible, not surprised there, but most importantly that he and X have a healthy relationship. Perhaps this high-character attitude is why he is a part of the team for the amount that he is? Then again, he doesn't have much to be upset about right now.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am
Posts: 1011
X definitely has better ball skills than Jones, but that doesn't necessarily make him the better CB. I'd like to see the stats on it, but it seemed as if X got thrown at a lot more than Jones was. X is sneaky, and the WRs may have looked more open to the QB than they were. It will be interesting to see if he can duplicate what happened last season -- my guess is that it won't happen like that again. If they start throwing at Jones more (due to fearing X), then it won't be surprising if Jones' interceptions go up. I think Jones is a better tackler, but that is just my perception and isn't based on any real data.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am
Posts: 985
prof123 wrote:
X definitely has better ball skills than Jones, but that doesn't necessarily make him the better CB. I'd like to see the stats on it, but it seemed as if X got thrown at a lot more than Jones was. X is sneaky, and the WRs may have looked more open to the QB than they were. It will be interesting to see if he can duplicate what happened last season -- my guess is that it won't happen like that again. If they start throwing at Jones more (due to fearing X), then it won't be surprising if Jones' interceptions go up. I think Jones is a better tackler, but that is just my perception and isn't based on any real data.


Part of what makes X so good is his ability to bait opposing QBs into throwing into bad spots. Tough to put a stat on that one, so I agree with you in his sneakiness. I once joked with a buddy of mine that X might lead the league in interceptions from bad passes.

I'd give Jones the edge in tackling ability and overall flexibility. He played Free Safety in Dallas for a few years prior to moving to corner. Funny enough, Jones had more INTs last year than any year of his career. Though it was only 2, it's progress.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:58 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 3809
From listening to a lot of podcasts covering the Dolphins and interviews with both Jones and X, it's clear that Jones is much better leader and fits the mold of what Flores wants on his team. That said, X is a clearly a playmaker and that's something we need too. I like Jones as a player and as a team-first guy and I hope if we do lose X that Iggy will step up. I think that he can.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am
Posts: 985
k-dash wrote:
From listening to a lot of podcasts covering the Dolphins and interviews with both Jones and X, it's clear that Jones is much better leader and fits the mold of what Flores wants on his team. That said, X is a clearly a playmaker and that's something we need too. I like Jones as a player and as a team-first guy and I hope if we do lose X that Iggy will step up. I think that he can.


I saw a video of Iggy and X working out over the summer and holy moly I had no idea how jacked Iggy is. Dude is a monster. Especially for a corner, but just in general. He has the mold to become a powerhouse, that's forsure. I'm excited about him too.

It definitely seems like Jones fits that mold.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
So now the fresh breaking news is that X would rather sign an extension w Flores than be traded.

Image

k-dash wrote:
it's clear that Jones is much better leader and fits the mold of what Flores wants on his team. I like Jones as a player and as a team-first guy


Kinda hard to label him as a team first guy more so than the rest when he has the cushiest contract of most DBs in the game.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
So now the fresh breaking news is that X would rather sign an extension w Flores than be traded.


He has to understand that he just signed that contract (it is a good one, but not guaranteed as other contracts due to his injury history), and after a COVID year, the available money isn't there. Also, he has no leverage in this. The Dolphins granted Minkah's request as Flores was starting his first year and needed no distractions from what he was trying to build. The Dolphins granted Kiko Alonzo's request because he played injured the year before and was a liability in coverage. They don't have to trade X, which means that he is at the mercy of our front office. My guess is that next year the Dolphins will revisit his contract. Personally, I'm tired of us throwing so much money on other team's free agents, and I like that we are now focusing on our own young stars. He has to stay healthy this year and keep a good attitude with his teammates.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:20 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
Big Dave wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
So now the fresh breaking news is that X would rather sign an extension w Flores than be traded.


He has to understand that he just signed that contract (it is a good one, but not guaranteed as other contracts due to his injury history), and after a COVID year, the available money isn't there. Also, he has no leverage in this. The Dolphins granted Minkah's request as Flores was starting his first year and needed no distractions from what he was trying to build. The Dolphins granted Kiko Alonzo's request because he played injured the year before and was a liability in coverage. They don't have to trade X, which means that he is at the mercy of our front office. My guess is that next year the Dolphins will revisit his contract. Personally, I'm tired of us throwing so much money on other team's free agents, and I like that we are now focusing on our own young stars. He has to stay healthy this year and keep a good attitude with his teammates.


If he gets a better deal, then it better be incentive laden with all sorts of escape clauses, because X is great for that 50% of the time he is healthy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
Phinished wrote:
If he gets a better deal, then it better be incentive laden with all sorts of escape clauses, because X is great for that 50% of the time he is healthy.


I believe I read that he has the 6th best contract for a CB, so, some of the issue is that his contract does not guarantee much. I think he's looking for more money than Bryon Jones and the guarantees. I think he forgets that availability is a skill, too.

Could there be a deal in the works?

Hal Habib (PBP wrote:
Could Xavien Howard and the Dolphins be hammering out a deal?

Coach Brian Flores hinted that could be the case before Monday morning's practice.

"We're moving in the right direction," Flores said when asked for an update on Howard's health and contract situation.

Last week, Howard posted a statement on social media saying he wanted to be traded amid a contract dispute.


https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/spo ... 451775001/


_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
Cameron Wolfe, formerly our ESPN Miami Dolphins beat writer, talks Xavien Howard. I expect to see the Dolphins bend a little soon. I know that teams usually do not want to give a message to other players that they can renegotiate a contract a couple years into one they just signed with the team, but he showed up to TC, and every one of his teammates believes he is the best CB on the team.



https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status ... 9814319109

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
With X out with a ankle injury after requesting a trade, Flores was asked if the ankle injury is legit. While the Dolphins do not want to trade X, part of the reason why he is still a Dolphin is that no team has offered to the Dolphins what we want in a trade.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
“We don’t want to trade X,” Flores said. “Write that down. He’s a big part of the team. We don’t want to trade him.”

Howard has been out for seven practices with what has been termed by the team as a minor ankle injury. Flores made clear the injury is legitimate and he would participate in a walk-through on Friday and expects Howard to accompany the team to Chicago for joint practices with the Bears and a preseason game next week.

Flores said Howard “has been supportive of teammates, attentive in meetings. He’s dealing with an injury. He’s coaching guys up. He’s working on a daily basis to get back. When he gets back we will get him in there and get him working with teammates. He’s doing a nice job considering his situation.”


Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r