View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Do you think Mount Cody would be a good fit? 
Phins 2 Phins
Phins 2 Phins

Post Do you think Mount Cody would be a good fit?
I've heard a lot of negativity surrounding this guy but I personally think he would be a good guy to pick up if he's available in the second round... Sparano seems pretty impressed to from what I read, but what do you guys think?
Quote:
CODY IMPRESSES: Sparano has liked what he has seen from mammoth Alabama defensive tackle Terrence Cody (6-4, 370) in the first two days of practice.

"He's got some unique abilities, no question about it," Sparano said. "A big guy like that, to see the way he moves his feet the way he does. I've played some big guys who were very stationary, and this guy is not a stationary guy."

Cody, nicknamed Mount Cody, had 28 tackles for the Crimson Tide but was virtually immovable in the middle. He is considered a perfect fit as a nose guard in the 3-4 defense the Dolphins use.

"There's not many 370 pound guys running around out there," Sparano said. "When you find a guy that big who can play that position and you look around the league at the teams that have those type of players, you realize how rare they are."

"News, info and discussions about the Miami Dolphins, their players and the season..."

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Do you think Mount Cody would be a good fit?
He is my 2nd favorite at the 12th pick... McClain is the 1st...

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

if he lasts until we pick in the second round, I'd be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

mikey wrote:
if he lasts until we pick in the second round, I'd be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich

As I'm sure Cody will be eating at the time he is picked.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:36 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

Iowafin wrote:
mikey wrote:

lol, iowa

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:43 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

No way he falls that far to us in the second round.... period.

No way we take him in the 1st round...

We've talked about this once before. Me being an avid Alabama fan I got to watch a lot of him. Cody eats up blocks in the middle, no question about that. He does have "some" play making abilities, they are sometimes few and far inbetween though. I wouldn't mind having Cody, but I wouldn't mind seeing him go by either. IF he did fall to the second round, no doubt we'd look at em.

Just my .02

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:02 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

on a more serious note though, mount cody is a guy that really intrigues me. we may still need a safety and some linebackers but i think the addition of terrance cody would instantly upgrade our defensive line in a way that would immediately show on the score board as he is great against the run and hence it would negatively affect opponents ability to sustain drives by the run as teams were doing readily enough this year. the way i see it is he has plenty of red flags, but considering our coaching staff are getting a first hand dose of him this week in the senior bowl, i'll be comfortable with whatever decision they make, as they are being afforded some great insight into a player at a position of need

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:06 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

Coots wrote:

We've talked about this once before. Me being an avid Alabama fan I got to watch a lot of him. Cody eats up blocks in the middle, no question about that. He does have "some" play making abilities, they are sometimes few and far inbetween though. I wouldn't mind having Cody, but I wouldn't mind seeing him go by either. IF he did fall to the second round, no doubt we'd look at em.

Just my .02

hey coots whats up buddy? you could as a 'bama fan be our resident expert on mount cody and i agree, 12 is too high, and i too suspect that although he may slide it won't be to us all the way in the second round.
so the question i pose to you is this; if rolondo mclain (another of your 'bama boys) is off the board at 12, would you trade back into the twenties and pick him up? i personally would as we acquire more picks as well as get a good NT, something in my opinion that doesn't just come along every day

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:11 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think for Cody it will come to down his passion and discipline. There is no question he is gifted but if Sparano doesn't see a kid who is serious about being a professional and can make the effort to shed some weight and then disciplined enough to keep it off, he won't be a Dolphin. JMHO. He is definitely one of those risk/reward picks

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:21 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Coots wrote:

Don't be so sure. Just a couple of years ago, Alan Branch was supposed to be a top 10 pick and slipped all the way to the top of the 2nd round. These big, slow fat guys (especially one who gained 15 lbs from the BCS game to the Senior Bowl) sometimes tend to drop way farther than people think.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

mikey wrote:
Coots wrote:

Just my .02

hey coots whats up buddy? you could as a 'bama fan be our resident expert on mount cody and i agree, 12 is too high, and i too suspect that although he may slide it won't be to us all the way in the second round.
so the question i pose to you is this; if rolondo mclain (another of your 'bama boys) is off the board at 12, would you trade back into the twenties and pick him up? i personally would as we acquire more picks as well as get a good NT, something in my opinion that doesn't just come along every day

I am not sure that trading back is as easy as it sounds. It may not be an option. We toss it around as if it is a sure thing. The Phins may not find a trading partner to make it worth while.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:10 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

AQNOR wrote:
mikey wrote:
Coots wrote:

Just my .02

I am not sure that trading back is as easy as it sounds. It may not be an option. We toss it around as if it is a sure thing. The Phins may not find a trading partner to make it worth while.

while your right and it's never a sure thing, i think it is easier to trade down from the twelfth than the first pick, as the pick doesn't come with the same bloated salary but is still high enough to draft an impact player minus the pressure of the overall top selection. Jimmy johnson had a value chart that put a point value on picks that was pretty popular. if we could find it, i think we'll find the twelfth overall pick has just as much if not more trade value than an actual good pick itself. I could be mistaken but say a first and third or a first and second would be the going rate for that spot, depending on the other team's level of desperation.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:59 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rich bought up Alan Branch and another example to look at just last year was Rey Maulauga, as most thought he would go in the 1st round and went into the 2nd round and almost made it to Miami.

Cody was projected in the early to mid twenties in some projections, but I have seen my fair share of 2nd round projections and one had even a 3rd round on him.

People will certainly question Cody dedication to the game and he has to take conditioning much more seriously than he has. This is a kid that could probably play at 350 lbs and take his game to another level.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

mikey wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
mikey wrote:

lol, iowa

He will be the first person watching the draft at golden corral

also second round yes, first round god no, obviously has work ethic problems. It Baffles me how these guys are so close to making millions and they don't seem to care. Man to have that ability and waste it,

Guess i just wish i was more athletice :pumpiron:

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

If he can get down to 350.. Sure, Id take him in the 2nd. But, honestly.. Odrick fits our system better as a Nose.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:13 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Disagree. Cody is the type of player that can take a double team and not be budged and even at 370 he moves pretty well and has been a handful at the Senior Bowl. I saw Oldrick get handled in one on one drills against Mike Iupati, the stud OG from Idaho.

I would definitely take Cody in the 2nd round if he were available

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Most analysts say that Cody is a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. Of course, everything is usually muddled up until the NFL Combine hits us.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I like him. Tony says he can move. 370lbs that can move is dangerous.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:23 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Ski, the thing I like most is he commands a double team and stands his ground.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:40 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I want a guy who can move a double team :)

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 am

He needs to lose weight. He WILL NOT have a long and productive career if he is at 370 lbs. At that weight, he will have recurring knee and/or ankle problems, and more than likely back problems as well, which seems to be a common issue with nose tackles who play too upright.

Ski_Money wrote:
I want a guy who can move a double team :)

That is not required of a 34 nose tackle. Only requiring a double team on every play is.

Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I know it's not required, but darn it would be sweet!

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:24 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Talking about day 3 senior bowl, not looking good for cody

Alabama DT Terrence Cody -- We understand Cody's potential to be a space-eater inside, but his sloppy build and lack of consistent effort are hard to ignore. Cody had a hard time splitting double-teams on Day 3 and was knocked off-balance several times by the down blocker, which raises question about his overall core strength. And while his role will obviously be as an interior run-stuffer Cody offers nothing as a pass-rusher. He can be an effective bull rusher at times but he doesn't stay low enough to generate a lot of push so offensive linemen are able to sink and anchor against him, and when that happens he has no countermove. At this point we would have a hard time using even a second-round pick on a guy who is going to give you limited snaps over the course of a game because of his weight and one-dimensional game.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

The more I see and hear about this kid, the less i want him. We don't need another dude who comes in here with a lazy attitude and ends up crying when the coach yells at him.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:04 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

IamPZ wrote:
The more I see and hear about this kid, the less i want him. We don't need another dude who comes in here with a lazy attitude and ends up crying when the coach yells at him.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:53 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

The kid played for Nick Saban, so I don't think that is a concern.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:32 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
The kid played for Nick Saban, so I don't think that is a concern.

Crying, maybe not, but laziness definitely. This kid weighed 400+ in JUCO... and gained 16 pounds in only a couple of days leading up to the most important period of his professional life.

I'd rather have someone with the passion to be great... not someone expecting a walk in the park and not taking this seriously.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:32 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Mel Keiper has 6 DTs going in round one and none of them are the "athlete" pictured above.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]