View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Salguero: Sparano on Pat White 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Salguero: Sparano on Pat White
Quote:
The Dolphins can do nothing about picking White. He's on the team and they must hope he can progress from an unspectacular rookie season into a legitimate backup quarterback. That's why coach Tony Sparano was asked about White at the Senior Bowl this week.

"I think that he’s doing very well, certainly," Sparano said, no doubt remembering that White was literally knocked out of the season-finale against Pittsburgh. "Pat's not a guy to take a lot of time off or any of those things, so he’s getting right back at it. He’s got a pretty good itch. I was kidding him earlier in the week. I met his dad out here for the first time when we were over at Fairhope (High School) in the beginning of the week, so I sent him a text telling him his dad was better looking than he is. He immediately sent it back and talked about his hometown here and all that, you know.

"Pat is a real proud kid that way. But he has done a nice job for us, he really has. When you think about these young quarterbacks coming in and all that they have to do, and it’s a lot. You have to put a lot on their plate and you can’t spoon feed them. You have to be careful with that. So, from our end, our philosophy has always been to throw everything at them and see what sticks. With Pat, he had it a couple of different times. He had it in rookie camp. He had it in OTAs. He had it in training camp. And little by little he’s been able to grab more and more of our offense to the point that midway through the season he had total command of the whole package."

So White can come in the game and run the entire Miami offense if need be?

"He can really go out there with no limitations and run the offense that way," Sparano said. "Now there are still some fundamental things that we’re working with Pat on and that we want Pat to get better at, but this guy is so willing and has so much character that I feel like he’s going to continue to get better."

Well, there you have it. After one season the Dolphins are still working to correct White's fundamentals. After one season the Dolphins are also hoping White can actually complete a pass in an NFL game -- something he didn't do in 2009.

I hope White can make the giant leap from a struggling rookie to a viable backup in 2010. Again, no one is asking him to be ready to be the starter.

But he needs to get stronger. He needs to recognize defenses faster. He needs to get quicker with his drops. He needs to show the kind of accuracy he often showed in college but never showed in NFL games.

White has a long way to go. In that regard, he's a lot like Tim Tebow.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... -bowl.html

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:56 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Salguero: Sparano on Pat White
They're saying it could take 2-3 years to get Tebow "fixed"... so maybe it's the same sort of learning curve for White... who knows.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:15 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

or maybe they are both not NFL QB's.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:29 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
They're saying it could take 2-3 years to get Tebow "fixed"... so maybe it's the same sort of learning curve for White... who knows.

I think Tebow fits the "Wildcat" better than White...that being said, I think the Dolphins misused White all season. He shouldn't be running what Ronnie Brown ran, and he shouldn't be running the Pistol. He should be in the slot. He should be a Randle El type player. I remember someone said when Ronnie got hurt to have Ricky take the snap and flash White across on the sweep.
That makes perfect sense! Have White move across to his left, then if he does get the sweep handoff, they can run some sort of pass out of it AND that way White isn't heading into a pile of 300lb DT's and 250 lb ILB's...he's taking on corners and smaller DE's.
I don't know, what the Dolphins were doing with White wasn't working, and it won't work. They have to find different ways to utilize him.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:10 pm

I had mentioned that sweep idea a couple times.. i know someone else did as well. We utilized his skills incorrectly this year for sure.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
I had mentioned that sweep idea a couple times.. i know someone else did as well. We utilized his skills incorrectly this year for sure.

I think it makes perfect sense.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:40 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

The Dolphins plan for Pat White got shot to hell when Pennington went down early in the season. The plan wasn't for him the be a #2 Qb but rather something quite different. Similar to how a 3rd down back isn't really a backup RB. Pat White got the raw end of things last year so I'm willing to give him a pass.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gentlax13 wrote:
The Dolphins plan for Pat White got shot to hell when Pennington went down early in the season. The plan wasn't for him the be a #2 Qb but rather something quite different. Similar to how a 3rd down back isn't really a backup RB. Pat White got the raw end of things last year so I'm willing to give him a pass.

I'm not following your logic.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:14 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Funny, he sounds more committal towards Pat White than he does to Chad Henne. Go figure.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Iowafin wrote:
Gentlax13 wrote:

I'm not following your logic.

Through training camp, OTA, and the beginning of the season the idea was not to use Pat White as a traditional QB. They didn't treat him like he was going to be a 3rd string emergency QB so he didn't prepare to be the backup in the event of injury. He was supposed to be something different.

Then Pennington got hurt and White had to hurriedly learn the traditional offense which is not what he had been focusing on previous to the injury. He effectively had to switch roles and be the top backup without the benefit of preparing for that role in the off season.

That's why I'm giving him a pass. He had to bear the brunt of the Pennington injury and it set him back.

/I hope the Dolphins either acquire another QB this off season or use Thighpen as the #2 and let Pat White be something different.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:32 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Big Dave wrote:
Funny, he sounds more committal towards Pat White than he does to Chad Henne. Go figure.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe since he knows Henne is his guy and had a good overall season (besides a couple big int's late in games) he does not want anything going to his head. But with White, he had a horrendous year minus a few plays, Whites confidence as a football player has to be pretty low and Sparano knows he needs to build him up.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe since he knows Henne is his guy and had a good overall season (besides a couple big int's late in games) he does not want anything going to his head. But with White, he had a horrendous year minus a few plays, Whites confidence as a football player has to be pretty low and Sparano knows he needs to build him up.

Henne doesn't need this kind of support from Sparano. He is the man in Miami and he knows it. He had a good year.

We must also not discount the simple idea that Sparano is simply standing behind his man. If Sparano doesn't show any confidence in White, especially after a year in which he did not complete a pass, how could it be expected that Pat show any confidence in himself?

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]