View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Antrel Rolle wants to come home 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Antrel Rolle wants to come home
Antrel Rolle Wouldn't Mind Playing For Dolphins
30th January, 2010 - 5:42 pm
Miami Herald - Antrel Rolle is in limbo because the Cardinals are scheduled to pay him $12 million in salary and a bonus in 2010.

The two sides could enter renegotiate a new deal or cut ties.

"That would be nice," Rolle told the Miami Herald of playing for his hometown Dolphins.

"You know what I mean. I would love to take some of the burden off of mom and dad seeing as they travel to every game. Miami is home for me. I haven't played here in five years, but hey, we can make it happen."

Rolle repeated that his parents fly across country to every game he plays.

"I'm still a Cardinal right now, you know," he said. "I don't know what's going to happen. But I love the Cardinals and their organization. I've been good to them and they've been great to me also. Let's just see what plays out.

"I don't know what's going to play out. They haven't given me any indication. I know they want to keep me there. We're trying to keep our franchise together, but I don't know what they're thinking right now." [READ]

He's a Miami Hurricane product and a former CB now playing FS, so he has ball skills, 12 careert interceptions and 4 returned for touchdowns. He's also 27 years old.

I think he can certainly help Miami and can match up well with the premier TE in the league or slot receivers and he is a good tackler also.

Depending on what Arizona does, this could be worth looking into.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:45 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Antrel Rolle wants to come home
This would be an absolutely ridiculous singing.

Rolle is a beast of a playmaker in the middle of the field. Something we obviously need desperately.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
This would be an absolutely ridiculous singing.

Rolle is a beast of a playmaker in the middle of the field. Something we obviously need desperately.

Sure, but he was part of a defense that gave up back to back 45 point performances.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:21 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rolle didn't play much those games, or at least the first one; he was hurt

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:38 am

Seems like every player has ties to Miami , wants to play for Miami , had a dream to play for Miami.
Then , these boards gets filled with all these threads , we get hyped up about what our roster is going to be only to be let down again & deal with the same results during the season. Oh yes , the ones we do sign suddenly seem to have lost their skills. Lets keep drafting well , building that way & signing less hyped free agents who still have something to prove & a desire to perform like they did before taking free agent dollars.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:51 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FINesse, I started to plug in the original post that you would make this type of comment, and I agree with your assessment for the most part.

The draft is most definitely the way to go, and I would certainly like to have seen more of Chris Clemons, Miami's 5th round draft pick and Tyrone Culver this year.

But Rolle is a local kid, a former CB now playing FS and doing a nice job as he is at the Pro Bowl. It would not hurt to look at him if things don't work at with the Cardinals. He a proven commodity and 27 years old.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Seems like every player has ties to Miami , wants to play for Miami , had a dream to play for Miami.
Then , these boards gets filled with all these threads , we get hyped up about what our roster is going to be only to be let down again & deal with the same results during the season. Oh yes , the ones we do sign suddenly seem to have lost their skills. Lets keep drafting well , building that way & signing less hyped free agents who still have something to prove & a desire to perform like they did before taking free agent dollars.

What's wrong with people wanting to sign a probowl Full Safety when ours sucked?

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:31 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phin wrote:
What's wrong with people wanting to sign a probowl Full Safety when ours sucked?

Where does Mitch say anything is wrong with it?

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:32 pm

Not saying I would mind the signing but what I am saying is that on the fans point of view its a bit ridiculous to start a thread about every free agent coming to Miami. It never stops.
And then when clearer heads post like Rich did on the Wilfork thread you get labeled.
On a management point of view hopefully they will look at the player , not get taken by a name or where he is from & judge the bang you get for your buck.
But hey we just signed the best defensive coordinator in history so why worry.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:53 pm

Good points FINesse.

Our best FA signings thus far, without question, have been Pennington and Randy Starks.....Penny was signed for reasonable money, and Starks is getting paid as much as a 4th round pick rookie.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:58 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Good points FINesse.

Our best FA signings thus far, without question, have been Pennington and Randy Starks.....Penny was signed for reasonable money, and Starks is getting paid as much as a 4th round pick rookie.

I don't think 4th round picks get 5yr/$21mil type contracts.......I remember when the fins signed him the talk was that they overpaid for a backup......turns out the fins knew better

http://www.dolphinslocker.com/2008/02/29/the-miami-dolphins-sign-dt-randy-starks/

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm pretty sure Randy Starks is getting paid a good bit of money. This is the second time I've seen a post saying that he makes nothing. I could have sworn he signed a 4 or 5 year deal for somewhere between 15 and 20 million.

Any FA signings for Miami will come from guys who will get cut. With no CBA I would bet there will be a few guys available that we currently aren't expecting to be around.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Phin wrote:

Where does Mitch say anything is wrong with it?

Where does it say your Mitch's defender? This is the second time in the past month you have jumped me for disagreeing with him. Thought this was a forum where we could disagree with each other?

Last edited by Phin on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Not saying I would mind the signing but what I am saying is that on the fans point of view its a bit ridiculous to start a thread about every free agent coming to Miami. It never stops.
And then when clearer heads post like Rich did on the Wilfork thread you get labeled.
On a management point of view hopefully they will look at the player , not get taken by a name or where he is from & judge the bang you get for your buck.
But hey we just signed the best defensive coordinator in history so why worry.

Because this is a Dolphins fan forum where rumors get discussed and its a slow time of year so guys are desperate for news. What else are we going to discuss? The new name of the stadium?
Not trying to rag on ya dude, but you sound a bit harsh on fans just being fans sometimes.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:25 pm

Sound Familiar.

Quote:
Thought this was a forum where we could disagree with each other?

Also ...

Quote:
but you sound a bit harsh on fans just being fans sometimes.

Thanks , I will take that as a compliment.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:42 pm

Phin wrote:

Yes, but I'm not the one that seems to have a problem with that....

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:44 pm

FINesse wrote:
Sound Familiar.

Quote:

Also ...

Quote:

Good job.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Wasn't there a thread going, (maybe on the old forum), with players salaries and stuff...I thought Starks was at like 450K? Maybe not....

Nevermind. Lol.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Wasn't there a thread going, (maybe on the old forum), with players salaries and stuff...I thought Starks was at like 450K? Maybe not....

Nevermind. Lol.

No, he got a multi-million dollar deal from the Dolphins.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:47 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
FINesse wrote:
Sound Familiar.

Quote:

Also ...

Quote:

Good job.

must be his understudy

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:36 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I posted this piece on Antrel because he makes sense for Miami at a position of need and he could possibly be available. I like Vince Wilfork a lot as well, but I know there no way New England will just let him walk away, thus I did not post a story.

No one is more of a draft guy then me. I love the draft and wish I could get into it for a living, but it about knowing the right people. But we do also have free agency, and if used properly, you can use it here and there along with a major portion of your rebuilding done thru the draft.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

MTFan wrote:
Rich wrote:

Good job.

must be his understudy

I wasn't going to waist my time replying but I think we're on the same page there.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
I posted this piece on Antrel because he makes sense for Miami at a position of need and he could possibly be available. I like Vince Wilfork a lot as well, but I know there no way New England will just let him walk away, thus I did not post a story.

No one is more of a draft guy then me. I love the draft and wish I could get into it for a living, but it about knowing the right people. But we do also have free agency, and if used properly, you can use it here and there along with a major portion of your rebuilding done thru the draft.

Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for at least attempting to bring some new news to the forums this time of the year. It's pertinent, new news, and good for discussion.
:yay:

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Sound Familiar.

Quote:

Touche'

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:58 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Phinfever readers can breathe a deep sigh of relief: I am not running the Miami Dolphins.

IF I was, I wouldn't touch any RFA (Restricted Free Agent) with a ten-foot yardage marker.

I wouldn't sign any franchise-money FA except Vince Wilfork, and the insidious Dark Lord won't let him go.

I would trade up to get either Berry/Tennessee S or McCoy/Oklahoma DT. I like the Thomas/Texas FS pick, but Berry is better and bigger. I like the McClain pick but Jason Ferguson is harder to replace than Crowder or Ayodele. Torbor played decently spelling them both at times, and there are several decent ILB prospects coming in...not so much FS and D(NT). Neither McCoy or Berry will be available at #12, so you have to make a move.

I would.

I would nestle up into the top five or so. That's where the best will be. Most mocks have those top-5 with these names:
Suh
Okung
Berry
McCoy
Clausen/Bradford (it varies, but these are both mentioned in many top-5s)

This is how I think it will go:
St. Louis
#1 Jimmy Clausen/QB Notre Dame

Detroit
#2 Russell Okung/OT Oklahoma State

Tampa Bay
#3 Ndamukong Suh/DT Nebraska

Washington
#4 Sam Bradford/QB Oklahoma

Kansas City
#5 ??????

Now, I don't personally believe we need to trade up into #1,2 or 3 here. St. Louis may look to trade down, but I don't think so. Detroit definitely won't, they have needs and now actually have some hope that they can turn things around. I also don't see Tampa trading out of here. They saved Morris' job, but he's going to need some big gedunk to keep the fans from gnawing on him through the radio.
Washington is always a possibility, as wheel-and-deal Snyder can often be talked into trades. However, Sha-na-na is now running things, at least for a while, and that means he's going to use his picks. I don't see Campbell as the answer. Too spotty. Great one week, crappy the next.

Sooooooooo, I believe our best option for a trade up is KC. The Chiefs are believed to be targeting Okung for the OL, but if he's gone then I think they'd be willing to make a deal. Plus, GM Scott Pioli's wife Dallas is Bill Parcell's daughter, so the two talk often enough to facilitate relations. They also have successfully made deals in the past between KC and Miami, ala the Tyler Thigpen move.

We trade into 5, take McCoy or Berry (I would take Berry if both were available, but that's only because I believe our FS position is so bad right now. Soliai isn't putrid at NT, and Ferguson could return. Ask yourself, if Gibril Wilson returns at FS for us, do you have the same feeling at that position?).

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

pawfectgent wrote:
We trade into 5, take McCoy or Berry

Huh?

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
pawfectgent wrote:
We trade into 5, take McCoy or Berry

Huh?

The defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:13 pm

pawfectgent wrote:
I would trade up to get either Berry/Tennessee S or McCoy/Oklahoma DT.#5

Where would you line McCoy up at?

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Thought McCoy was more of a 4-3 DT. I guess he'd be a DE in a 3-4. Not sure thats what we need with our 1st round pick.

Berry would be awesome but it would take a king's ransom to move into the top 5 to get him...at least a 1st, 2nd and maybe next year's 2nd. Just dont see it.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:06 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

paw, I could not disagree with you more in regards to trading up. This is an extremely deep draft, and if anything Miami will possibly look to trade down if McClain or Bryant are not on the board at #12.

Also, trading up for Berry is one thing, trading up for McCoy. He is a 4-3 DT and Miami needs a NT like hell, not DT.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:19 pm

FS is where I feel we are defensively weakest. If we stay at #12 I think Thomas and perhaps even Williams will be gone, too. I juxtaposed Williams and McCoy in my post, and my feeble mind didn't make the connection. McCoy is projected there and I subverted Williams to be McCoy in the bottom part where I'd take Berry first then the DT if he was gone.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:20 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

As I said in my blog, I would like to see what Chris Clemons and Tyrone Culver can do. I think they can give Miami more than Gibril Wilson.

Also, as much as I like Berry, there are other talented FS out there. NT is by far the hardest position to find and I think Terrence Cody will be there in the 2nd round. I want to see Miami use all of there picks, and if they do look to trade picks, I want it to be for an established stud like Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:34 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Who else can we add to the "I would love to play in Miami" list?

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

pawfectgent wrote:
FS is where I feel we are defensively weakest. If we stay at #12 I think Thomas and perhaps even Williams will be gone, too. I juxtaposed Williams and McCoy in my post, and my feeble mind didn't make the connection. McCoy is projected there and I subverted Williams to be McCoy in the bottom part where I'd take Berry first then the DT if he was gone.

You don't think NT is the weakest? Clemons and Culver haven't showed anything, but it's not like they've been given a great chance. Soliai got his chance when Ferguson left, and I don't believe he was ever double teamed, and in a 3-4 that's very bad.

I'd rather take my chances with Clemons and Culver for another year than hope Ferguson can hold up for 16 games.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:06 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
pawfectgent wrote:

You don't think NT is the weakest? Clemons and Culver haven't showed anything, but it's not like they've been given a great chance. Soliai got his chance when Ferguson left, and I don't believe he was ever double teamed, and in a 3-4 that's very bad.

I'd rather take my chances with Clemons and Culver for another year than hope Ferguson can hold up for 16 games.

seems to me they are both glaring needs on our team right now, but I'd rather be able to stop the run and worry about the pass than stop the pass and worry about teams running over the top of us

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:28 am

Iowafin wrote:
You don't think NT is the weakest?

Yes, if Ferg comes back. NT is tenuous in that case because of his age and injury tendencies, but when he is healthy and in there, we are okay at DT. When Wilson is healthy and in there at FS, we aren't any good there. Yes I believe at this point FS is weakest.

Iowafin wrote:

A good option; they can't do much worse than what we get with our 'starter'.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]