View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Porter and Sparano didn’t speak during season’s final seven 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Porter and Sparano didn’t speak during season’s final seven
Quote:

Tuesday, Porter continued his bridge-burning campaign with the Dolphins.
Speaking on The Sporting News radio, the Dolphins linebacker admitted that he and coach Tony Sparano didn’t speak to each other after Porter was deactivated Porter for a Nov. 15 visit from Tampa Bay.

Porter he hasn’t felt like he’s been a part of the team ever since his benching.

“The last seven, eight weeks was not fun for me,” Porter said. “After the suspension, I had no fun. I’m sitting up there feeling like I’m an outcast on my own team.

“I’m a captain, but I’m not going to the captain meetings. He’s not meeting with me anymore. How do you come back?”

Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder helped conduct the interview on WQAM.

At one point, Porter admitted to Crowder, “You’ve been to me during the game, ‘Like, c’mon man, I need you, right now,’ and mentally I wouldn’t be there because I;m just frustrated I’m on the sideline.

“It hard for me to accept that after being Pro Bowl just a year ago, 17.5 sacks and making the All-Decade team. There’s a reason I’ve been playing at a high level so long, now I’m taking a backseat for who and for what?

“For who and for what? Explain that to me?”

Sparano seems to think Porter failed to live up to his role as captain during the season.

The week before the suspension, Porter asked to sit out two practices to rest his aching knees, but was seen out Friday night. Porter said told Rome he went out for a bite to eat.

But on Tuesday, Porter made a comment that makes you wonder.

Asked the biggest difference between living in Miami and Bakersfield, Calif., he joked, “I get rest.”

Crowder said the players were shocked Sparano benched Porter.

“We thought he knocked Tony out,” Crowder said.

“It was an uncomfortable situation among the team, and I know I’m not the only one.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... ven-weeks/

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Porter and Sparano didn’t speak during season’s final seven
Quote:
Remember, Porter was a team captain. Yet, he doesn’t seem to care about the development of younger players, like Cam Wake, for the long-term benefit of the Dolphins.

Porter is the only one who hasn’t noticed he’s not the player he once was. And by the way, six LBs made the All-Decade team, and he might have been No. 6 on the list.

He’s the head coach and hes knows what direction he wants to go with this team,” Porter said. “It is a young, young team. Honestly, if you want those guys to play you have to get rid of me to play because they won’t play if I’m here.”

Post reporter Brian Biggane, approached Porter after his interview, but he said he was only doing what he was told to do by Reebok because of a shoe deal with the company.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... ven-weeks/

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:28 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

At one point, Porter admitted to Crowder, “You’ve been to me during the game, ‘Like, c’mon man, I need you, right now,’ and mentally I wouldn’t be there because I;m just frustrated I’m on the sideline.

Crowder said the players were shocked Sparano benched Porter.

“We thought he knocked Tony out,” Crowder said.

that did it for me, the kind of money this guy is making and he "mentally isn't there" give me a break, get him outta here and take Crowder with him

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Prima donna,
first lady of the stage!
Your devotees
are on their knees
to implore you!

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
"I didn't ask for a trade," the four-time Pro Bowl linebacker said during an interview on WQAM, the Dolphins' flagship radio station. "I asked the coach if that was the situation you planned on using me, just let me leave. I don't want to be traded nowhere.

Porter's campaign to leave the Dolphins went national with his Monday appearance on ESPN. A pledge from the Dolphins that Porter can play full time in 2010 is unlikely, and he told WQAM that such a vow wouldn't salvage the situation.

"I wouldn't believe them," he said.

Porter said as his role was diminished last season, he talked with Sparano only on Sundays and stopped speaking with football czar Bill Parcells or general manager Jeff Ireland.

"I felt like an outcast," Porter said. "The writing was on the wall for me. I was putting too much into the pot and not getting enough back."

"Outside linebacker? I'm the best one we've got. Period," Porter said. "Why should I be switching with any of those guys? Being 32, I don't have time to be playing childish games. If you want to put Cameron Wake in the game, go ahead and good luck to you. Let me go find a job somewhere else."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

"Best outside linebacker. Period. " Sounds like a Phins Rock argument.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:54 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Iowafin wrote:
"Best outside linebacker. Period. " Sounds like a Phins Rock argument.

lol
AQNOR wrote:
"I felt like an outcast," Porter said. "The writing was on the wall for me. I was putting too much into the pot and not getting enough back."

Yes. Your whole 8 sacks while Wake was producing way more was well worthy of 65 snaps a game...What was Coach thinking.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Clearly, now we all know why we didn't see Wake more often. Because Joey would have pulled this crap midseason and separated the team.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]